Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

He's 35 y.o. But he's still so fit, for anyone watching him. That acceleration, that power, that finishing are still there. He still play like when he's 28 y.o.
He really really doesn't. He's basically a mostly static number 9 now who is still capable of the odd magical moment but he's not the force of nature he was at 28.

He turned 28 in 2013: in that season, he scored 55 goals in total, and only 7 of those were penalties. This season it's 37 goals and 13 were penalties. He also contributes way less in terms of all-round play.

Yeah, he's still very very good for a 35-year old but he clearly declined from his peak.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He is quite literally better than both of them and its not even close.

If you take out Neymar and add CR7 (Just an example) They literally become one of the instant favorites for a reason.

Neither of those two are a top 3 player in the world as Ronaldo is.
You clearly are delusional. As Sayros says, Neymar is used as a playmaker at PSG and i wouldn't trade him in a million years for CR7, especially considering the lack of creativity we have in our midfield besides Verratti. You guys really have a problem assessing the performance of your god.

Siorac

He is much better than those two. Of course trading Mbappe for him would be madness considering the age, but everyone would trade Neymar for him. Ronaldo probably has more years in top level than Neymar anyway.

Also, a "past it" Ronaldo, playing in a new team based on a new league (which is far more difficult than the French one) has scored this season twice as many goals as Neymar.
This was Ronaldo's second season at Juventus though. Not a new team or new league anymore.

(I agree that Neymar's shit attitude and terrible fitness record makes him inferior overall)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He really really doesn't. He's basically a mostly static number 9 now who is still capable of the odd magical moment but he's not the force of nature he was at 28.

He turned 28 in 2013: in that season, he scored 55 goals in total, and only 7 of those were penalties. This season it's 37 goals and 13 were penalties. He also contributes way less in terms of all-round play.

Yeah, he's still very very good for a 35-year old but he clearly declined from his peak.
He's in decline, but not so much with him playing in defensive League. I bet he'd blow out of the water that numbers again if he plays for PSG.

Siorac

He's in decline, but not so much with him playing in defensive League. I bet he'd blow out of the water that numbers again if he plays for PSG.
The defensive league thing is a myth - people still think this is the Serie A of the early 90s. The league had 3.0368 goals per game this season; for comparison, the Premier League's average was 2.7211, Ligue 1's was 2.5233.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I think he meant to say Ronaldo is playing like other top players in their 28 years old? Surely Ronaldo isn't the same player now as he was in 28. He was a beast back then, and like you said he clearly declined from his peak (from 08-14). But again 37 goals in a defensive team is quite an achievement too, regardless of number of penalties he scored. He did broke Juventus 100 years record afterall, I think this meant something.

Siorac

I think he meant to say Ronaldo is playing like other top players in their 28 years old? Surely Ronaldo isn't the same player now as he was in 28. He was a beast back then, and like you said he clearly declined from his peak (from 08-14). But again 37 goals in a defensive team is quite an achievement too, regardless of number of penalties he scored. He did broke Juventus 100 years record afterall, I think this meant something.
His exact words were: "He still play like when he's 28 y.o."

And yes, as I said, for a 35-year old, he's still very very very good. Just nowhere near as good as he was at 28 which was an utterly insane level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't get why people go on about "He is among top 3 players in the world". He was when he used to score shit loads of goals and that's what set him apart from other players, in this season Lewandowski and Immobile scored more goals than Ronaldo in league, KdB as nearly as many and he is not even attacker.

15 players have scored more goals than Ronaldo in CL.

Obviously he is great player and THE BEST in few seasons but in 2019-20, he isn't in top 3.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The defensive league thing is a myth - people still think this is the Serie A of the early 90s. The league had 3.0368 goals per game this season; for comparison, the Premier League's average was 2.7211, Ligue 1's was 2.5233.
Depends which team really. Atalanta scored 98 goals this season in Serie A, its quite impressive and match with other top teams from other league (ie City scored 105 goals, Bayern scored 100 goals). Juventus only scored 76 goal in Serie A, despite twinning the title and have Ronaldo on their side scoring 31 goals, they only rank 5th in their league in terms of goals, and has by far the least amount of goals scored among all top teams in Europe. I think its more to do with teams mentality and approach.

On the other hand, PSG only need just over half season to match Juventus full season goal tally....

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
But Juventus average goals is 2 goals/game in the League; PSG has 2.8 goals/game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His exact words were: "He still play like when he's 28 y.o."

And yes, as I said, for a 35-year old, he's still very very very good. Just nowhere near as good as he was at 28 which was an utterly insane level.
It's an obvious exaggeration about being equal. But really though, he's still so fit that only because people can check his birth year that you can say he's 35 y.o. If you just watch his play and physical condition, it's hard to see a noticeable decline.

Siorac

It's an obvious exaggeration about being equal. But really though, he's still so fit that only because people can check his birth year that you can say he's 35 y.o. If you just watch his play and physical condition, it's hard to see a noticeable decline.
I think if you watch his play and then watch his play from 2013, the decline is obvious. It just doesn't feel like one because compared to the vast majority of other players, he's still better. Compared to his own peak though there is a clear decline. Which makes sense and is only natural, really.

Siorac

Depends which team really. Atalanta scored 98 goals this season in Serie A, its quite impressive and match with other top teams from other league (ie City scored 105 goals, Bayern scored 100 goals). Juventus only scored 76 goal in Serie A, despite twinning the title and have Ronaldo on their side scoring 31 goals, they only rank 5th in their league in terms of goals, and has by far the least amount of goals scored among all top teams in Europe. I think its more to do with teams mentality and approach.

On the other hand, PSG only need just over half season to match Juventus full season goal tally....
But Juventus average goals is 2 goals/game in the League; PSG has 2.8 goals/game.
OK. That wasn't the point though: the point was that the Serie A isn't a defensive league these days. Quite the opposite in fact. Saying that Juventus are a defensive side is a different issue.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't get why people go on about "He is among top 3 players in the world". He was when he used to score shit loads of goals and that's what set him apart from other players, in this season Lewandowski and Immobile scored more goals than Ronaldo in league, KdB as nearly as many and he is not even attacker.

15 players have scored more goals than Ronaldo in CL.

Obviously he is great player and THE BEST in few seasons but in 2019-20, he isn't in top 3.
He has a strong claim to be top 3 in terms of measurable stats/performances though.

In terms of league goals, he is among the top 3 in Europe.
In terms of overall club goals (league+CL), he is among the top 3 in Europe too.
In terms of overall goals for club and country, he is among the top 2.
In terms of average rating (whoscored), he is among the top 4.

Sure in terms of "eye-test" and "opinion", not that everyone would agree, and even if he scored 100 goals, there would still be some people think he is not among top 3.

roonster09

Scout
He has a strong claim to be top 3 in terms of measurable stats/performances though.

In terms of league goals, he is among the top 3 in Europe.
In terms of overall club goals (league+CL), he is among the top 3 in Europe too.
In terms of overall goals for club and country, he is among the top 2.
In terms of average rating (whoscored), he is among the top 4.

Sure in terms of "eye-test" and "opinion", not that everyone would agree, and even if he scored 100 goals, there would still be some people think he is not among top 3.
Why only goals? There are assists too which players like KdB will have plenty. Maybe if you mean top 3 forwards/attackers then yes, we can just go with goals and even that is just a incomplete stat to rate attackers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why only goals? There are assists too which players like KdB will have plenty. Maybe if you mean top 3 forwards/attackers then yes, we can just go with goals and even that is just a incomplete stat to rate attackers.
Of course you are right. I've only said he has a strong claim, but there are also few other players who has a strong claim too. Its just matter of opinions, with no definite answer.

Lewandowski, Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Immobile. These are my personal top 5 ranking for this season. But fact is, they are all excellent.

Lewandowski - 53 goals in 44 games for Bayern. Top goalscoer in CL. Best goalscorer overall.
Messi - 30 goals and 24 assist for Barca. Most productive player.
Ronaldo - 37 goals in 46 games for Juventus, 11 goals in 6 games for Portugal - total 48 goals in 52 games. 2nd best goalscorer overall.
De Bruyne - 15 goals and 22 assists for City. Most productive midfielder.
Immobile - 36 goals in 37 league games for Lazio. European golden shoe winner.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Of course you are right. I've only said he has a strong claim, but there are also few other players who has a strong claim too. Its just matter of opinions, with no definite answer.
Yeah I agree, all these ranking are anyways opinion based.

RashyForPM

That’s because Juve are shit. We’d genuinely beat them 6 out of 10 times, at least under Sarri. Not too sure about now with them under Pirlo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The reason Messi needs to prove himself at another club isnt anything to do with him- it's simply down to Barcelona.

There's something about Barcelona that suits a certain type of player due to their 'DNA' that is felt in their football. It's the same reason why a more individualistic footballer doesnt tend to do so well at Barcelona in comparison to a team oriented one.

I'd have like to see these team oriented players play in a team that isnt so team oriented over the past 2 decades to see how they play and achieve their success.

C Ronaldo is completely different to me. He didnt play in weak teams but he played in different teams with different players - he is important for a CL alongside Rooney, Tevez, Giggs and Scholes, he is important for another with Benzema, Bale, Modric, Isco, he is important for an Euro alongside Renato Sanches, William Carvalho,Nani & Eder.

He is selfish and one of the most individualistic players I have ever seen but where a player like Zlatan might fail due to their ego - Ronaldo will compete in different teams and territories and aim to come out successful.

Messi is the most skilful player I have seen. However Football remains a more a competitive sport to me than a type of entertainment. Thats why C Ronaldo is the greater player to me - he has proved to me that I can put him in any team, any league and any scenario and he will most likely come out successful.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think if you watch his play and then watch his play from 2013, the decline is obvious. It just doesn't feel like one because compared to the vast majority of other players, he's still better. Compared to his own peak though there is a clear decline. Which makes sense and is only natural, really.
That's unfortunately true.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The reason Messi needs to prove himself at another club isnt anything to do with him- it's simply down to Barcelona.

There's something about Barcelona that suits a certain type of player due to their 'DNA' that is felt in their football. It's the same reason why a more individualistic footballer doesnt tend to do so well at Barcelona in comparison to a team oriented one.
Yeah, Messi totally needs to go to a team that will pay him an insane salary that will prevent them from having a decent squad so he can get eliminated against Lyon who ranked 7th in the french league, that's a brilliant idea. There's no DNA left in Barcelona, the team and style they had in 2010 (Pep's tiki taka) is very different from 2015 (MSN) and from 2020 (no style at all).

Bebestation

Yeah, Messi totally needs to go to a team that will pay him an insane salary that will prevent them from having a decent squad so he can get eliminated against Lyon who ranked 7th in the french league, that's a brilliant idea. There's no DNA left in Barcelona, the team and style they had in 2010 (Pep's tiki taka) is very different from 2015 (MSN) and from 2020 (no style at all).
Just because the tactics and the board aren't as aligned doesnt mean that there is no DNA left. There is a certain technical ability towards Busquets, Pique, Lenglet/Umtiti (left footed CB's playing on the left), Frankie de Jong, Arthur, Suarez, left footed wingers always playing on the right like Dembele, right footed players always playing in the left like Fati or Greizmann, the consistent overlapping abilities of Alba and Semedo, ball playing abilities, possession, goalkeepers abilities on the ball etc.

I dont rate this Barcelona anywhere near to the teams of the past - but I believe that Barcelona have a DNA to their team and their football and Messi is equivocal of that too.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Just because the tactics and the board aren't as aligned doesnt mean that there is no DNA left. There is a certain technical ability towards Busquets, Pique, Lenglet/Umtiti (left footed CB's playing on the left), Frankie de Jong, Arthur, Suarez, left footed wingers always playing on the right like Dembele, right footed players always playing in the left like Fati or Greizmann, the consistent overlapping abilities of Alba and Semedo, ball playing abilities, possession, goalkeepers abilities on the ball etc.

I dont rate this Barcelona anywhere near to the teams of the past - but I believe that Barcelona have a DNA to their team and their football and Messi is equivocal of that too.
I have a hard time finding any kind of DNA, except the fact that most top teams have players with abilities :
- left footed CB on the left is a pretty classic thing to do
- Griezmann is actually left footed
- Semedo doesn't have a whole lot of abilities, it's even why Sergi Roberto was the starter for so long even if he's not a fullback
- You could had that they bought Vidal who's not at all in the theoretical Barça DNA
- They sold Arthur

So maybe there is a DNA somewhere hidden in the mind of the followers, but you can't see it for a long time and imo, it's as if Messi had switched teams a couple of times. I'm not really on the "he needs to change and go somewhere else to conquer another league like Ronaldo did" if he goes to a weaker ligue than Liga only to have mediocre results in CL.

I'm not going to dig any further because i don't want this thread to turn into another Messi vs Ronaldo topic, and i'm totally incapable of comparing both anyway.

Last edited:

Luke1995

If Ole wanted Ronaldo in the team he would've told the board already. He clearly is looking to go in a direction with younger players.

Maybe if the Sancho signing doesn't happen, Ole could get desperate and ask them to make a bid, but the way I look at it, is like the Kane rumours. Kane or Ronaldo would come here and score 30+ goals a season, but is it worth selling one of Martial/Rashford/Greenwood to get a short term return ? This is not a situation like when Fergie signed RVP in 2012, in the sense that he didn't really had youngster with such potential as we have now and he didn't really think Rooney was at his peak anymore. So, he got RVP knowing full well he had a great chance to go out on top and that's what he did. But Ole, he is a guy that is yet to create his dinasty, his legacy, and maybe getting Kane or Ronaldo would turn out just like Sanchez or Di Maria did because outside of Zlatan, no big name player really shone here these last few years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Ole wanted Ronaldo in the team he would've told the board already. He clearly is looking to go in a direction with younger players.

Maybe if the Sancho signing doesn't happen, Ole could get desperate and ask them to make a bid, but the way I look at it, is like the Kane rumours. Kane or Ronaldo would come here and score 30+ goals a season, but is it worth selling one of Martial/Rashford/Greenwood to get a short term return ? This is not a situation like when Fergie signed RVP in 2012, in the sense that he didn't really had youngster with such potential as we have now and he didn't really think Rooney was at his peak anymore. So, he got RVP knowing full well he had a great chance to go out on top and that's what he did. But Ole, he is a guy that is yet to create his dinasty, his legacy, and maybe getting Kane or Ronaldo would turn out just like Sanchez or Di Maria did because outside of Zlatan, no big name player really shone here these last few years.
Why do we need to sell any of Martial/Rashford/Greenwood before getting Ronaldo?

Bebestation

I have a hard time finding any kind of DNA, except the fact that most top teams have players with abilities :
- left footed CB on the left is a pretty classic thing to do
- Griezmann is actually left footed
- Semedo doesn't have a whole lot of abilities, it's even why Sergi Roberto was the starter for so long even if he's not a fullback
- You could had that they bought Vidal who's not at all in the theoretical Barça DNA
- They sold Arthur

So maybe there is a DNA somewhere hidden in the mind of the followers, but you can't see it for a long time and imo, it's as if Messi had switched teams a couple of times. I'm not really on the "he needs to change and go somewhere else to conquer another league like Ronaldo did" if he goes to a weaker ligue than Liga only to have mediocre results in CL.

I'm not going to dig any further because i don't want this thread to turn into another Messi vs Ronaldo topic, and i'm totally incapable of comparing both anyway.
And it's this talk about selling Arthur that seem exceptionally protective. He is still part of the squad who is infact now replaced by a more possession/passing based player in Pjanic. DNA.

I got the foot of Greizmann wrong and yet I didnt mention Vidal for a reason. I'm glad that you can see that he doesnt fit the DNA but players like Frankie De Jong, Busquets, Griezmann, Messi, Suarez, Pique, Alba, Semedo, Roberto, Piug and so many more are different for a reason. I'm not talking about Barcelona's ability to be successful in the transfer market - however whilst coutinho and Griezmann may struggle there, they still were targeted due to being this certain type of technical player that suits Barcelona's DNA. Vidal sticks out like a sore thumb with his physically defensive box to box play in comparison to the rest of the players Messi has and had played with - I'd have liked to see him play more alongside with such variety of players to see how he would adapt. At the same time i would like to see him play in different leagues that hold different defensive tactics than the La Liga whilst playing for a team full of Vidals and Vidic's than Piques and Iniestas.

arthurka

I would love to have him back but not a chance he wants this gig. He will go somewhere it's sunny and where he is the star player. Not a chance he would want anything to do with rotation.

mshnsh

He is quite literally better than both of them and its not even close.

If you take out Neymar and add CR7 (Just an example) They literally become one of the instant favorites for a reason.

Neither of those two are a top 3 player in the world as Ronaldo is.
This proves your blind bias towards Cristiano. In pure footballing terms Neymar is a far better allround footballer than Cristiano has ever been. The only reason why this has not translated into wider recognition is due to Neymar's immaturity and Cristiano's goalscoring ability (regardless of how simple the goal may be) and desire.

In any team, Neymar, because of his much superior vision, creativity and dribbling ability is more likely to improve the team than Cristiano who would rely on being spoon-fed to score or on blind shooting and would contribute little else. This applies to most of the seasons at Madrid, the last couple at United and now at Juventus. However, as I already pointed out, Neymar has so far lacked the maturity to carry his team and tbf has also had injuries at critical points in the last 2 seasons. PS I am not a Neymar fan for his antics.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This proves your blind bias towards Cristiano. In pure footballing terms Neymar is a far better allround footballer than Cristiano has ever been. The only reason why this has not translated into wider recognition is due to Neymar's immaturity and Cristiano's goalscoring ability (regardless of how simple the goal may be) and desire.

In any team, Neymar, because of his much superior vision, creativity and dribbling ability is more likely to improve the team than Cristiano who would rely on being spoon-fed to score or on blind shooting and would contribute little else. This applies to most of the seasons at Madrid, the last couple at United and now at Juventus. However, as I already pointed out, Neymar has so far lacked the maturity to carry his team and tbf has also had injuries at critical points in the last 2 seasons. PS I am not a Neymar fan for his antics.
:lol: the level the Messi brigade is willing to go to to discredit Cristiano. :lol:

Neymar has never ever in his life had a better season than any of Ronaldo’s in the past decade and more.

Red00012

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

This is officially either 1.) The biggest troll post ever or 2.) The most idiotic thing I have read on the CAF since I joined in 2014.

For your sake I truly hope it is option #1 because if it is #2 I would suggest you begin watching another sport because football aint it chief.

Never has Neymar ever even been good enough to lace up Ronaldos boots let alone be better than him.

I was about to go into detail about how not even close it is but I am not going to entertain this. This is too stupid even for the internets standards for me to waste my time on.

Baneofthegame

So you would take Neymar over ANY version of Ronaldo?

Luke1995

This argument again? So you’re of the opinion we need to sell one of the trio to get Sancho in as well?
No. That's different. Sancho can play basically in any position the coach asks him to. Ronaldo not only seems like a player with difficulty to accept tactical orders (he clashed with Mourinho over it back in the day for example) but he could only play as a centre forward basically. But because he doesn't view himself as a pure number 9, he would probably demand to get the left wing position even if he wouldn't stay there in the game.

el3mel

Ronaldo of late United days and early Madrid days stomps over any version of Neymar easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.