Croatia or England

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No mention of Sweden here yet? They’ve been quietly impressive and handsomely dispatched of Mexico, who were among the best performers in the group stage. They could conceivably beat Switzerland and the winners of England v Colombia.

England never cope well with pressure and when the backbone of your team is made up of Spurs players, you’re not exactly giving the impression that that’s going to change any time soon, either.
Sweden's defensive record is excellent. Just not sure there's enough quality in final third so will probably be a game where it's exposed. Them v Swiss is probably a coin toss as both similar in gameplans.

Canagel

It doesn't feel fair that only one of France, Brazil, Belgium can reach the final realistically from one side. The semi final of this bracket will be the real final imo. We needed one of these teams on the other side. The other bracket is much weaker. Even Croatia who on paper look the most balanced team were swept aside by Brazil in a friendly before the world cup. But both them and England have a really good chance to reach the final.

0161_UNITED

It doesn't feel fair that only one of France, Brazil, Belgium can reach the final realistically from one side. The semi final of this bracket will be the real final imo. The other bracket is much weaker. Even Croatia who on paper look the most balanced team were swept aside by Brazil in a friendly before the world cup. But both them and England have a really good chance to reach the final.
Feck fair.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It doesn't feel fair that only one of France, Brazil, Belgium can reach the final realistically from one side. The semi final of this bracket will be the real final imo. We needed one of these teams on the other side. The other bracket is much weaker. Even Croatia who on paper look the most balanced team were swept aside by Brazil in a friendly before the world cup. But both them and England have a really good chance to reach the final.
This side should have had Germany and Spain as well so it's their fault that the side of the draw is weaker.

It was a similar situation in Euro' 16 as well right? France, Germany, Spain, Italy, England were in one side of the draw and the other had just Portugal, Belgium, Croatia, Wales and Poland.

Charles Miller

The only possibility the final of the World Cup will not be an unprecedented match is Brazil x Sweden.

Revan

Assumptionman
England stroke gold with that loss to Belgium. Other side of the bracket is insane, France, Brazil and Belgium...
Well, Belgium wouldn't have been in the other side of the draw, if England had been there. Croatia has been the best team of the tournament so far, and anyway, you're going to face one of the other top teams in the final.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Great chance. They better not bottle it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wouldn’t get ahead of yourself, England are not really that good and all of Colombia, Switzerland and Croatia could beat them. I would actually have Croatia as a favourite because of how good their midfield is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Croatia are a bit better on paper IMO and Modric is better then anything England have, probably the best player left in the competition. Though England are well balanced and will be hard to score against and when it's a tight game, having Kane and Englands set piece prowess could give them the edge. Both should reach the semis but football obviously doesnt work like that!

AshRK

Biggest losers in all this is Mexico. This was a golden chance for them to play that 5th and even the 6th game but they screwed against sweden, who now have a great chance themselves to show what they can do.

Traub

Everyone forgetting Lovren plays for Croatia? He is due at least one massive feck up

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sorry my Danish friends but you guys are off the list.

Could be the moment when Croatia grow in this tournament. They diced with death.

They are better than what they showed tonight. I would like to think Russia will be good match up for them.

Minimalist

Biggest losers in all this is Mexico. This was a golden chance for them to play that 5th and even the 6th game but they screwed against sweden, who now have a great chance themselves to show what they can do.
Wouldn't be surprised at all at Mexico pulling off an upset against Brazil. Especially with how this WC is going.

El Zoido

I do not believe Croatia will necessarily become amazing after dicing with death. All it showed me is that they looked well beatable. It’s encouraging for everyone else on that side of the draw.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I do not believe Croatia will necessarily become amazing after dicing with death. All it showed me is that they looked well beatable. It’s encouraging for everyone else on that side of the draw.
Yeah they were poor in general play.

Sometimes teams need this sort of moment to go through to fully believe. I'm pretty sure lots of Spanish players reference that 2008 win on penalties v Italy as moment they believed they were finally ready to win a tournament.

One day England will win a penalty shoot out again and imagine the surge of relief and confidence that will go through whichever squad of players achieves that.

Revan

Assumptionman
No team at the moment looks unbeatable, which is very exciting.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It seems way too straight forward for England.
If it sound too good to be true it usually is.

Can't make any predictions about England until we saw what this 11 is like in high pressure knock out game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've noticed there's so much negativity towards England on this forum. If you're from another country then fair enough, if you're English then stop being so bloody miserable! All of the teams on our side our beatable, lets not start acting like Colombia & Croatia are Brazil & France. Croatia just stunk up the show tonight & very nearly went out to a poor Denmark side, Colombia lost to Japan & scraped past Senegal.

And to any English on here who wants us to lose, get fecked.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Vibes of 2002. England to get the German path to the final.

Skills

Snitch
Think Russia makes it to the final. Can smell some funny things happening in the QF/SF.

If England make it far enough, the Eng-Russia semi final will be tense as feck

djd

Actually think Spain going out is a bad result for England; I fancied us to beat a tired, one-dimensional Spain side or a Croatia side tired from a brawl with Spain, but a fresh Croatia side will have too much for us.
Based upon today the Croatia Russia game could go to extra time as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Think Russia makes it to the final. Can smell some funny things happening in the QF/SF.

If England make it far enough, the Eng-Russia semi final will be tense as feck
Hope not. Putin will then just nuke the other country and get the World Cup for himself.

Robertd0803

Colombia are probably the best side left on this half tbh. It's not easy at all
Yeah a lot of people are thinking England have an easy route when they will likely have issues getting past Colombia to begin with. I think a lot will depend on Rodriguez being fit though.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I've noticed there's so much negativity towards England on this forum. If you're from another country then fair enough, if you're English then stop being so bloody miserable! All of the teams on our side our beatable, lets not start acting like Colombia & Croatia are Brazil & France. Croatia just stunk up the show tonight & very nearly went out to a poor Denmark side, Colombia lost to Japan & scraped past Senegal.

And to any English on here who wants us to lose, get fecked.
Only to England? Have you seen the Portugal match threads? Feck me the internet is full of keyboard warriors.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
England are going to stroll to the final. Not only because of the lack of big names, but mostly because all the other teams on their half have absolutely run themselves to the ground each game to get to where they are. You saw it today with Croatia. They barely made it through and pretty much had no gas in the tank after the 70th minute. England resting a whole team in the last game will do them good.

Having said that, it's England. I expect a knockout against Columbia.

fallengt

James isn't playing but Colombia just need to hold 120 minutes and England will choke
We've had 2 shootouts already. It isn't an unlikely scenario