Croatia or England

Devil81

Honestly, I think we should pinch ourselves...

I honestly believe we will never have a chance better than this to win a world cup. We're not that good either...

sh4d

England are going to stroll to the final. Not only because of the lack of big names, but mostly because all the other teams on their half have absolutely run themselves to the ground each game to get to where they are. You saw it today with Croatia. They barely made it through and pretty much had no gas in the tank after the 70th minute. England resting a whole team in the last game will do them good.

Having said that, it's England. I expect a knockout against Columbia.

We (Croatia) also rested the entire team, except Modric and Perisic. I think the poor lethargic display today was more of a psychological barrier that we had from past experiences. And this game today should really help us get through that. Should be more than ready to face Russia in a week.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
We (Croatia) also rested the entire team, except Modric and Perisic. I think the poor lethargic display today was more of a psychological barrier that we had from past experiences. And this game today should really help us get through that. Should be more than ready to face Russia in a week.
I was shocked how bad Croatia were and I don't think it was down to any psychological barrier or even tiredness (though some of your best players being out on their arse towards the end won't help in the long run).

I'm just parroting Gary Neville but you seemed to go from playing great to very poorly through one simple tactical change by Denmark to nullify your widemen, and you had no on-pitch versatility or attacking depth on the bench to adapt to this.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
England couldn't ask for a better shot at a WC final.

The England team of 90 would walk through this half of the draw (and probably the 86 and 96 teams too). All of them lost - narrowly - to the winners. The current lot have a chance to make history..... before losing the final.

The '90 team had a seemingly straightforward run to the semi's as well and got out of jail in both games

Zen

Russia-Sweden SF. Quote me
K.

Gotta be the biggest underdog finalist ever this year? I'm thinking at worst England/Croatia/Colombia were about the same odds as Netherlands in 2010, but not really. Home bias aside....but man. Belgium must be crying.

Ban

Anything can happen On Saturday. They defended well vs
Spain but I feel we will be a lot more relaxed. We finally got through a 1st knockout phase since 1998. Whatever happens I'm proud of them

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anything can happen On Saturday. They defended well vs
Spain but I feel we will be a lot more relaxed. We finally got through a 1st knockout phase since 1998. Whatever happens I'm proud of them
Still going to push for 10 year jail term for Modric? :lol:

Seriously England get to final and probably all the squad will get knighthoods, Croatia could put their best player in the slammer.

Ban

Still going to push for 10 year jail term for Modric? :lol:

Seriously England get to final and probably all the squad will get knighthoods, Croatia could put their best player in the slammer.
Don't care at this point really. He has a trial and we will see what will happen. For now I hope we will somehow go all the way. If that happens country will stop functioning for a month or 2

Ban

Kudos to Denmark btw and all the Danish posters here! Great Great game, you pushed us to the tilt.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't care at this point really. He has a trial and we will see what will happen. For now I hope we will somehow go all the way. If that happens country will stop functioning for a month or 2
Oh that will happen. I remember seeing on the news there were week long celebrations after Goran won Wimbledon in 2001.

RoyH1

The Swiss and the Swedes would worry me the most actually for England. Their double parked bus lines would be a nightmare to open up for the likes of Sterling and Dele Ali. Much better to play teams that “play” the ball like Colombia.

Dante

Average bang
If this thread is intended to lump England into the category of also-rans, I think you're underrating them. Apart from Pickford and Maguire, the side is filled with good, young players with decent experience at CL level. They haven't achieved much yet because of their ages, but there's plenty of potential in the starting XI and I'm sure a lot of them will end their careers highly decorated.

It's a team made up City, United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool players, so they must be doing something right. And more importantly, they have a team spirit to match their potential.

izec

The England team is underrated, imo. Apart from Pickford and Maguire, the side is filled with good, young players with decent experience at CL level. They haven't achieved much yet because of their ages, but there's plenty of potential in the starting XI and I'm sure a lot of them will end their careers highly decorated.

It's a team made up City, United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool players, so they must be doing something right. And more importantly, they have a team spirit to match their potential.
Pickford is the biggest weakness. Also Walker at CB isnt ideal

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The '90 team had a seemingly straightforward run to the semi's as well and got out of jail in both games
Yeah....

An Ireland team with United, Liverpool, Everton players (and Paul McGrath) ..... a piss easy Holland team with Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten, etc.... a Belgium team with Preud'homme, Gerets, Ceulemans, Degryse and Scifo ..... a Germany team with Kohler, Brehme, Voller, Matthaus, Klinnsmann.

Cakewalk. How did they feck that up eh?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Thats crazy to think one of them is going to reach the final.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Croatia must be really excited, not simple games by any means but a likely run to the WC final of Denmark, Russia and England is the stuff dreams are made of for them. None of those games are easy but also none would be in the top 4 faves or so before the competition.

99withaflake

Croatia must be really excited, not simple games by any means but a likely run to the WC final of Denmark, Russia and England is the stuff dreams are made of for them. None of those games are easy but also none would be in the top 4 faves or so before the competition.
I was thinking the same. The Croatian fans must be ridiculously excited. Favourites to get to the final from that side of the draw.

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
From neutral position I really feel bad about 4 best teams still in tournament on the left side of the bracket. But pretty excited for Uru:Fra, Bra:Bel and then their SF game. Belgium made huge mistake not playing 0:0 with England. Their presence on left side would put balance between two sides of a draw. On right side now England is favorite. Colombia game will be hardest. Croatia has great team on paper but mentality is always problem with them. Question for England fans. How you feel about this? I know semi final would be amazing result for you in normal situation. QF probably expected result. But now with open path to reach the final, would you feel the same way reaching the final with these B list opponents? Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, Sweden, Russia/Croatia don't see any top 8 team here. For example: Playing against first top side in the tournament in final FRA/BEL/BRA and losing that game, would you consider World Cup successful?

meamth

I think Belgium will be in the final. Probably vs England MkII.

or perhaps we could see France vs England in the final.

Either way England is the favorites now in the 2nd bracket.

Darkhorsez

I was shocked how bad Croatia were and I don't think it was down to any psychological barrier or even tiredness (though some of your best players being out on their arse towards the end won't help in the long run).

I'm just parroting Gary Neville but you seemed to go from playing great to very poorly through one simple tactical change by Denmark to nullify your widemen, and you had no on-pitch versatility or attacking depth on the bench to adapt to this.
Hang on. I think they played well enough in the 1st half. Second half was a strange dip and they were lucky to squeeze through. I wouldn’t write off this team’s ability just based on one half.

99withaflake

I think Belgium will be in the final. Probably vs England MkII.

or perhaps we could see France vs England in the final.

Either way England is the favorites now in the 2nd bracket.
Nah, I'd rank the chances of the teams in the bottom half of the draw as:
  1. Croatia
  2. England
  3. Colombia
  4. Russia
  5. Switzerland
  6. Sweden
Takes into account how good the teams are, and how many round they have left to play.

Siorac

From neutral position I really feel bad about 4 best teams still in tournament on the left side of the bracket. But pretty excited for Uru:Fra, Bra:Bel and then their SF game. Belgium made huge mistake not playing 0:0 with England. Their presence on left side would put balance between two sides of a draw. On right side now England is favorite. Colombia game will be hardest. Croatia has great team on paper but mentality is always problem with them. Question for England fans. How you feel about this? I know semi final would be amazing result for you in normal situation. QF probably expected result. But now with open path to reach the final, would you feel the same way reaching the final with these B list opponents? Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, Sweden, Russia/Croatia don't see any top 8 team here. For example: Playing against first top side in the tournament in final FRA/BEL/BRA and losing that game, would you consider World Cup successful?
I'm not English but I'd hazard a guess that they wouldn't give a solitary feck if they only beat Burkina Faso, Vanuatu and Andorra if it means reaching the World Cup final. It would be a huge, huge success for them.

99withaflake

Italy played Australia and Ukraine in their first two knockout matches in 2006. I don't think they gave a feck.

Brazil played Belgium, England and Turkey in 2002. I don't think they gave a feck either.

Judas

Open to offers
The Swiss and the Swedes would worry me the most actually for England. Their double parked bus lines would be a nightmare to open up for the likes of Sterling and Dele Ali. Much better to play teams that “play” the ball like Colombia.
Completely agreed. If we can be taken right to the death by Tunisia, we're going to struggle if we come up against those two. They're the exact sort of games I can see us getting frustrated, freezing up and it all going a bit Iceland again.

Canagel

Nah, I'd rank the chances of the teams in the bottom half of the draw as:
  1. Croatia
  2. England
  3. Colombia
  4. Russia
  5. Switzerland
  6. Sweden
Takes into account how good the teams are, and how many round they have left to play.
I'd place Sweden higher than Colombia, Russia and Switzerland. I think they are a real dark horse in the competition. They know exactly how to defend and they have a real goal threat as well.

99withaflake

I'd place Sweden higher than Colombia, Russia and Switzerland. I think they are a real dark horse in the competition. They know exactly how to defend and they have a real goal threat as well.
Fair enough. I’ve only seen one full 90 mins of Sweden. Other two games were extended highlights. If England get knocked out, wouldn’t mind them doing well. I have nothing against them!

Classical Mechanic

We have the least experienced team at the World Cup in terms of caps. Everyone before the tournament (including most England fans) felt it was the worst England squad in living memory and that they would struggle to get out of the group.

If we make the final (I don't think we will) it would be an incredible success. Especially given England's 'cycle' that the hipsters like to talk about doesn't even start until 2022 when the stars of England's highly successful youth sides will be at the age where they are becoming established players.

Classical Mechanic

Fair enough. I’ve only seen one full 90 mins of Sweden. Other two games were extended highlights. If England get knocked out, wouldn’t mind them doing well. I have nothing against them!
It would be slightly amusing if Sweden won the World Cup given that Roy Hodgson is credited with laying the foundations for their growth in the international game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
England and italy are my "second " options on every tournament and i wanted croatia- england semi-final but after yesterdays comments from butcher, levin, neville... i think that i changed my mind. fecking neville knows everything now and was terrible as manager.

Classical Mechanic

England and italy are my "second " options on every tournament and i wanted croatia- england semi-final but after yesterdays comments from butcher, levin, neville... i think that i changed my mind. fecking neville knows everything now and was terrible as manager.
Why, what did they say that was so offensive?

Judas

Open to offers
Croatia were very poor yesterday. You can't blame pundits for stating exactly what they're seeing in front of them. They're kind of paid to do that.

Classical Mechanic

That we are trash, don't deserve anything, basically they openly cheered for denmark. Well two can play that game:)
I didn't see it but I doubt there was the malice you imply. Croatia played badly and snuck through on penalties. It is what it was.

Don't get me wrong, if we did the same against Colombia. I'd be delighted.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So you’re basing which team you support on the behaviour of a handful of pundits? Come on. Support England. We’ll welcome your with open arms :-)
Of course not. I support england always. Even when you kicked us out( two times). But they really pissed me off. We were not good but neither was denmark. It was 50 50 game. And we had better chances especially in first half plus penalty in ot. So how come we are trash and they are great? feck bbc.

And feck gary neville. Now i am calm. Go 3 lions.:)

Treble

Can't believe one of these teams will reach the final. Brazil/France/Belgium will be favourites in the final. Russia look doped though, so everything's possible.

Judas

Open to offers
Denmark were much the better team, tactically they did a job on Croatia, if they'd actually had a striker on the pitch, they'd have won in normal time in my opinion.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Thought Croatie were one of the favorites, but they looked shite yesterday.

It's Englands cup to win imo.

klsv

So you’re basing which team you support on the behaviour of a handful of pundits? Come on. Support England. We’ll welcome your with open arms :-)
Can you do it on a sunny afternoon in Moscow against Brazil, though? Will support anyone who will deny them the cup.