Croatia or England

Ban

Denmark were much the better team, tactically they did a job on Croatia, if they'd actually had a striker on the pitch, they'd have won in normal time in my opinion.
Much better? Don't see it. They did a number on us, nullified us, but weren't much better imo. It was 50-50.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Over France, Belgium or Brasil?
Not over, but in the same bracket, sure.

This was after the group stages though, where France and Brazil were underwhelming and Belgium played to pub teams. At this stage I think France, when they're clicking, might be a notch above the rest. Belgium are good on paper, but they usually bottle it when the going gets tough. As for Brazil, I'm sure they're good I just can't stand Neymar to the point that I'm not able to objectively look at em :)

99withaflake

Of course not. I support england always. Even when you kicked us out( two times). But they really pissed me off. We were not good but neither was denmark. It was 50 50 game. And we had better chances especially in first half plus penalty in ot. So how come we are trash and they are great? feck bbc.

And feck gary neville. Now i am calm. Go 3 lions.:)
I’m glad you got that off your chest. All about talking :)

Judas

Open to offers
Much better? Don't see it. They did a number on us, nullified us, but weren't much better imo. It was 50-50.
If you nullify and do a number on a team, I don't think it can be 50-50. From a totally impartial perspective, Denmark looked far more likely to win for most of the match, especially in the second half where Croatia were just nowhere near it, completely off the boil.

Ban

If you nullify and do a number on a team, I don't think it can be 50-50. From a totally impartial perspective, Denmark looked far more likely to win for most of the match, especially in the second half where Croatia were just nowhere near it, completely off the boil.
If we were better in the 1st which we were and they were better in the 2nd and it was a no one's game in the OT it was exactly 50 50. Denmark certainly didn't look more likely to win it most of game. In the 2nd half they were better sure.

MUFC OK

From neutral position I really feel bad about 4 best teams still in tournament on the left side of the bracket. But pretty excited for Uru:Fra, Bra:Bel and then their SF game. Belgium made huge mistake not playing 0:0 with England. Their presence on left side would put balance between two sides of a draw. On right side now England is favorite. Colombia game will be hardest. Croatia has great team on paper but mentality is always problem with them. Question for England fans. How you feel about this? I know semi final would be amazing result for you in normal situation. QF probably expected result. But now with open path to reach the final, would you feel the same way reaching the final with these B list opponents? Panama, Tunisia, Colombia, Sweden, Russia/Croatia don't see any top 8 team here. For example: Playing against first top side in the tournament in final FRA/BEL/BRA and losing that game, would you consider World Cup successful?
It really is, and it would be so typical of England and our fans, to go out the second we start believing we could do something. The circumstances are all set for England to crash out tomorrow night. Still I think we should remember that before the tournament, most agreed that quarterfinals would be respectable for this group.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The France overrating is pretty weird, they have looked average throughout the tournament and were lucky to face an atrocious defence whilst having the footballing equivalent of Usain Bolt up front. Uruguay will cause them lots of problems and I really fancy them to go through.

Canagel

The France overrating is pretty weird, they have looked average throughout the tournament and were lucky to face an atrocious defence whilst having the footballing equivalent of Usain Bolt up front. Uruguay will cause them lots of problems and I really fancy them to go through.
I think France have the most naturally gifted players of any team in the competition but they are being held back by the manager which is why they won't win the world cup in my opinion. Just look at how devastating they were in attack from being 1-2 down to 4-2 up. When the players took into their own hands they absolutely tore the Argentina defence apart. But they sat back again and allowed Argentina back into it through negative subs. 4-3 flattered Argentina. With the right tactics it could've been 4 or 5 nil.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think France have the most naturally gifted players of any team in the competition but they are being held back by the manager which is why they won't win the world cup in my opinion. Just look at how devastating they were in attack from being 1-2 down to 4-2 up. When the players took into their own hands they absolutely tore the Argentina defence apart. But they sat back again and allowed Argentina back into it through negative subs. 4-3 flattered Argentina. With the right tactics it could've been 4 or 5 nil.
Don't disagree that France is one of the, if not the most talented squad left, but they simply haven't looked like it and will face a quality defensive side with two lethal strikers, so I think they'll struggle.

Uruguay v Brazil
Croatia v Colombia

Are my two semis at the moment.

Canagel

Don't disagree that France is one of the, if not the most talented squad left, but they simply haven't looked like it and will face a quality defensive side with two lethal strikers, so I think they'll struggle.

Uruguay v Brazil
Croatia v Colombia

Are my two semis at the moment.
I'd go with England instead of Colombia. And Belgium in place of Brazil. I think Belgium will beat Brazil if both get through.

99withaflake

Agreed. In spells against Argentina they were devastating, and on a different level to anything I’ve seen in this tournament.

France didn’t break a sweat in the group stage, and when they did concede a worldie and deflected goal, they responded in brilliant fashion.

If they’re managed correctly, they’re probably my favourites to win it. I may change my mind if Belgium or Brazil show an extra couple of gears in their next matches though. Game on!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It really is, and it would be so typical of England and our fans, to go out the second we start believing we could do something. The circumstances are all set for England to crash out tomorrow night. Still I think we should remember that before the tournament, most agreed that quarterfinals would be respectable for this group.
Why do people fear Colombia so much? I don't get it.

Falcao isn't the player he once was, Cuadrado is all speed no brains, Rodriguez is good but playing with 1 leg.

Their defence is athletic but a bit brainless also, their midfield is bone average.

I just don't see the worry, if England play their best and take our chances we'll be OK.

The only thing they have over is right now is the team's been together longer and went further in the last tournament, but that doesn't mean much on the day.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Falcao isn't the player he once was, Cuadrado is all speed no brains, Rodriguez is good but playing with 1 leg.

Their defence is athletic but a bit brainless also, their midfield is bone average.

I just don't see the worry, if England play their best and take our chances we'll be OK.

The only thing they have over is right now is the team's been together longer and went further in the last tournament, but that doesn't mean much on the day.
I don't know how good England is as they haven't played even so much as an average team so far. I'll reserve my judgment until after the Colombia game.

Classical Mechanic

It isn't a case of fearing them. It's a case of acknowledging that they have some good players, a good manager and the fact that knockout games can be very tight and decided on fine margins.

England's history in such games is what worries me. If we were playing Colombia in a qualifying game I would be much more confident. Psychologically England carry the burden of recent history into this game. I hope they can get over it.

MUFC OK

I fear their dogged nature, I think they will work harder and be more tenacious than England. I can see a goalkeeping error or moment of magic from Quintero and England players head will start to wobble.

England have to believe they are the better team and will get the job done, but you never know.

Adam-Utd

I don't know how good England is as they haven't played even so much as an average team so far. I'll reserve my judgment until after the Colombia game.
Yeah, it's tricky as like you say we've only played weaker teams so far, but you can only beat what's infront of you? It's a shame the match v Belgium meant nothing, I was hoping that would be the true water test.
It isn't a case of fearing them. It's a case of acknowledging that they have some good players, a good manager and the fact that knockout games can be very tight and decided on fine margins.

England's history in such games is what worries me. If we were playing Colombia in a qualifying game I would be much more confident. Psychologically England carry the burden of recent history into this game. I hope they can get over it.
Yeah, many are still burnt by the previous tournaments and are expecting the usual English failure.

I dunno though, things just feel a bit different this time? I feel like Southgate has got us mentally stronger and feeling positive. Anyway until it happens we won't know I guess. I feel like there's genuinely no pressure so that helps.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I'm actually getting more and more confident that Colombia beat England.

Adam-Utd

I fear their dogged nature, I think they will work harder and be more tenacious than England. I can see a goalkeeping error or moment of magic from Quintero and England players head will start to wobble.

England have to believe they are the better team and will get the job done, but you never know.
I feel this England team has no stars/Primadonnas, we've got plenty of work rate in the team so we can match that. Yeah Pickford is a worry TBH, I don't rate him but right now he's the best of a poor bunch.

I think we kept our heads OK against Belgium but obviously there was no pressure, we must start fast and make sure we don't go behind.

Even if it goes to ET our bench is much stronger, bringing on Rashford/ RLC / Vardy is a great option late on.

Maybe i'm just being Naive but I feel really positive.

MUFC OK

I feel this England team has no stars/Primadonnas, we've got plenty of work rate in the team so we can match that. Yeah Pickford is a worry TBH, I don't rate him but right now he's the best of a poor bunch.

I think we kept our heads OK against Belgium but obviously there was no pressure, we must start fast and make sure we don't go behind.

Even if it goes to ET our bench is much stronger, bringing on Rashford/ RLC / Vardy is a great option late on.

Maybe i'm just being Naive but I feel really positive.
I'm apprehensive personally, but can see what an opportunity this could be. I just feel there has been too much talk and not enough football played by England. Basically, Colombia is this teams first test, due to their quality, the pressure etc.

I hope we play with real intensity and score a couple of early goals or it could go to the wire. Either way we are going to find out a hell of a lot about England when the pressure is on tomorrow night, I will reserve my judgement on how far we could go until after this game.

CG1010

It would be so typical of England to trip on the first instance and go out against Colombia. In previous world cups I would have called 0-0 and then lose in penalties. But till now they have been playing a good attacking game, so you never know.

Castia

What a chance England have here, you couldn't hand pick a better draw.

Watch us feck it up and go out to Columbia now.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
They will beat Colombia 4-0 and think they are nailed on to win the WC this time just to get trashed by the next team they meet. :D
I think there will be goals – I think England have serious problems at the back. I don’t think Maguire and Stones are good enough for this level and Walker is out of position. Eventually they will be caught out IMO. Falcao brutalized Stones in their only meeting and while he isn’t what he was at Atletico, he’s not what he was at United either. He’ll be dangerous. They’re a good side with players who are well suited to international football – Quintero in particular.

Obviously a lot rests of James’ fitness but even without him Colombia are leagues ahead of Tunisia/Panama. This will be a totally different type of game and if they’re as sloppy as they have been passing out of the back in recent games I think Colombia will punish them. They have a lot of momentum and just like England they’ll be looking at the opportunity the draw is presenting. Any sort of complacency would be disastrous for England.

2-2 in my opinion. Penalty shootout will decide the day.

The Purley King

Has the ever been an easier route (easier on paper) to a World Cup final?
I'm in the unusual position of getting very excited about what might possibly happen (we get there) but every time I think that another side of my brain says "Shut the feck up you idiot, you'll jinx it".
I can remember back to 86 (was 10 years old at the time) and this all seems too much to be true, so it probably will be in reality (or will it?).

stu_1992

Have to put Croatia as favorites from that half of the draw. The winner of Colombia/England will be the second favorite form that half. England should be winning that, but I can't help but fell that Colombia are the type of team that would trip them up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has the ever been an easier route (easier on paper) to a World Cup final?
I'm in the unusual position of getting very excited about what might possibly happen (we get there) but every time I think that another side of my brain says "Shut the feck up you idiot, you'll jinx it".
I can remember back to 86 (was 10 years old at the time) and this all seems too much to be true, so it probably will be in reality (or will it?).
Germany in 2002.

Had Paraguay second round, USA in quarters (US played very well in that tournament in fairness) and South Korea in semi finals.

Group was Cameroon, ROI and Saudi Arabia so Germany faced no elite team at all until the final.

buchansleftleg

I think anyone can win this world cup, but luck will be a factor for any of the bottom half of the draw to win it.

Croatia have a great 1st 11, just lacking a striker that can compete for 90 Minutes (Mandzukic looked dead on his feet after 55 minutes)

England have a great attack with some other options up front, but are very sparse in midfield and defensive options so I think will struggle unless they can consistently get off to a rapid start in games.

Columbia are inconsistent but can play anyone off the park for a 20 minute spell.

Switzerland, Sweden and Russia are all about the organisation / grinding out a result.

In the top half of the draw I think Mexico could surprise Brazil today but will then struggle against taller defensive sides.

Brazil have some strength in depth in attack, but not sure if they have clicked as a team and Neymar seems to be on an emotional knife edge.

Uruguay have potent attack and defence but could disciplinary issues cost them in knockout stages

France and Belgium look to be the only two sides that have real quality across their entire squad, Belgium being better at defending than the French but the French having more varied attacking options.

The bottom half of the draw will unfold as fate decrees. The interesting thing will be how tired / battered / bruised / suspended players affect France or Uruguay or Brazil or Mexico or Belgium and if they can recover for the final.

Realistically for me we have 3 "finals" to look out for.

The Uruguay France game will be brutal.

Whoever wins that has to take on either Belgium or Brazil (Mexico maybe?) - another massive game! Then the Final itself!

For the sake of the World cup I hope France can overcome Uruguay, otherwise I can see this upper part of the draw becoming mired in defensive football and attrition, however this would potential play to the advantage of the lower level teams in the bottom half of the draw.

Ideally - a France vs England Final....realistically though I fear it will be a Uruguay vs Croatia in a game that will not be a classic.

The Purley King

Germany in 2002.

Had Paraguay second round, USA in quarters (US played very well in that tournament in fairness) and South Korea in semi finals.

Group was Cameroon, ROI and Saudi Arabia so Germany faced no elite team at all until the final.
Wow - didn't realise Germany had such an easy run in 2002. Was travelling in South America for that tournament, so only really watched the England games and didn't keep in touch with the rest of it.
Doubt anyone in Germany was bemoaning the lack of quality opposition when they were cruising through. Neither should England (if we do cruise it, which I doubt...)

Siorac

Wow - didn't realise Germany had such an easy run in 2002. Was travelling in South America for that tournament, so only really watched the England games and didn't keep in touch with the rest of it.
Doubt anyone in Germany was bemoaning the lack of quality opposition when they were cruising through. Neither should England (if we do cruise it, which I doubt...)
They didn't really cruise through either: Oliver Kahn was their best player throughout until the semi-final. He saved them time and time again against the USA for example.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I've had this weird feeling all along that we ( England) would end up playing Russia at some point. We're in the right strand and it would be the Semi's.

AshRK

Wouldn't be surprised at all at Mexico pulling off an upset against Brazil. Especially with how this WC is going.
Nah mate, they had no chance against brazil. They have been the biggest losers of this whole thing. They may never get such a golden chance where they could be playing in semis let alone qf. They have good players and they should be fuming at themselves.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Have a feeling that if Russia beat Croatia they'll make the final.

Which would be fecking mental btw as we're a bit shit. But hey ho I'm not complaining.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Down to last 4.

Think Croatia are big favourites now as long as they play with their brains v Russia.

England looked completely shot in Extra time so another long game v Sweden....think they'll be too drained by semi final especially as Croatia would have more possession if that match up happened.

This is why England were clever losing to Belgium. Imagine after this having Brazil/France/Uruguay as the path.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We don't like playing with teams who defend whole match. With england it will be different story. Just need to defend fecking corners ffs. We are awful in that.
Also big part will be ref. Sterling and kanes diving scare me a lot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Normally I'd have Croatia as favourites as they're strong where England are weakest, in midfield.

However, they've played a lot of football and are bound to be more tired than England. I read a stat on twitter earlier that something like 75% of teams who win a penalty shoot out lose their next game, presumambly because of tiredness?

50/50 game imo.