Crystal Palace 0 : 0 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins - 30
    Crystal Palace wins - 7
    Draws - 9

Pre-Match Pressers

Louis Van Gaal

Alan Pardew - NA
    Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew fears Wayne Rooney's current frustration makes him 'dangerous'.

Pardew's side host Manchester United on Saturday with Rooney's performances coming under increasing scrutiny.

The England captain has scored just two Premier League goals this season and missed a penalty as United crashed out of the Capital One Cup at home to Middlesbrough in midweek.

But Pardew expects Rooney to answer his critics and says Palace will have to be on their guard.

'I think Wayne, throughout most of his career, has been at the top of the pitch or just back one in the number 10 role,' said Pardew.

'He plays both roles very well. He is at the top of the pitch now and maybe he is not getting the service he would probably want in that. I can see a little bit of frustration in him but that makes him dangerous. Rooney has proved many times, particularly when he gets criticism, that he can deliver.

'We'll be on our guard for Wayne. He's an outstanding player, he's the England captain and we'll give him the respect he deserves.'

Palace have lost their last three matches with the 5-1 reverse at City coming on the back of league defeats by West Ham and Leicester.

Injuries have hit them hard, but Pardew hopes to have the likes of Joel Ward, Connor Wickham and Marouane Chamakh back to full fitness after the international break.

'We have Manchester United and then Liverpool, so this little run is a real test,' he added.

'But I still think if a bit of fortune had gone our way we could have picked up points. There is a lot of good news in the background here in terms of the injuries we have had.

'If we can pick up some points in the next two games I'll be really happy, then we will be well set for Newcastle after the international break.

'I'm looking forward to Manchester United. It will be a great occasion. We are very proud to have them here for the third year running, it's the first time that has happened, and it's about time Crystal Palace beat United.

'It's going to be important that our fans stick with us, particularly after a couple of defeats and with the way United play.

'They lull the stadium and take the positivity out of it by keeping possession. We have to keep it bubbling along.

'If we can stay in the game until the last 15 minutes we have a chance of winning it.'

Jason Puncheon returns for Palace after missing out at City through illness but Yohan Cabaye needs a late fitness check.

Team News

Manchester United

Luke Shaw, Antonio Valencia and Patrick McNair ruled out. A number of key starters are set to return following the League Cup fixture vs Middlesbrough.

Crystal Palace

Jason Puncheon, Yohan Cabaye, and Pape Souare missed the League Cup defeat to Manchester City through injury. Marounane Chamakh, James McArthur, Connor Wickham are also doubtful

Know the opposition

Crystal Palace Football Club nicknamed CPFC, and The Eagles, are a professional football club based in South Norwood, London; and were founded in 1905 at the site of the famous Crystal Palace Exhibition building by the owners of the FA Cup Final stadium, who wanted their own team to play at the historic venue. When Crystal Palace were founded, they turned to one of the biggest clubs in the country at the time, Aston Villa, to seek advice. Villa helped the club in a number of ways, not least by donating their kit. As a result, Palace's colors were originally claret and blue shirts paired with white shorts, socks tending to be claret. They kept to this formula fairly consistently until 1938. The club initially played their home games at the FA Cup Final stadium which was situated inside the grounds of The Crystal Palace, but the Frist World War saw them forced to move out, and they enjoyed a number of seasons at both the Herne Hill Velodrome and The Nest. Although Crystal Palace have never won a major trophy, they have played in the First Division for the majority of their existence, finishing 3rd once, and losing the 1990 FA Cup Final to Manchester United. Crystal Palace play their homes games at Selhurst Park, and share sporting rivalries with South London neighbors Milwall, former tenants Charlton, and Brighton & Hove Albion.

Referee

Mike Jones.​

Raw

-------------- De Gea
    Darmian - Smalling - Jones - Rojo
    --- Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger
    Mata ------- Herrera ------- Young
    -------------- Martial

Would never happen, of course.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    -------------- De Gea
    -------------- Martial

Better had. I don't want to see Rooney, Carrick, Fellaini or Memphis near the team.

DocRockter

Don't think Smalling is ready for this game.. I'd personally rest him for CSKA on Tuesday. Other than that, play the same squad that played City(if Valencia is ready)..

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
    I swear to god if rooney starts this game.........

@Raw has nailed the squad but it won't happen im afraid.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
    -------------- De Gea
    Valencia - Smalling - Jones - Rojo/Darmian
    Mata ------- Herrera ------- Lingard
    -------------- Martial

Lingard is in good form and deserves to start again. As for fullbacks, we need one attacking one so Valencia should start on the right and one of Rojo/Darmian on the left.

Raw

Lingard is in good form and deserves to start again. As for fullbacks, we need one attacking one so Valencia should start on the right and one of Rojo/Darmian on the left.
    Yeah I would have started Valencia but I'm not sure if he's back from injury yet.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
    He just played 120 mins. I doubt he is going to start again in a couple of days.

Mr.Kaya

The only ones I'd accept playing this one from todays match would be Lingard, Smalling, Darmian and Pereira(on bench).

Šjor Bepo

Yeah I would have started Valencia but I'm not sure if he's back from injury yet.
    If he isnt then Young on the left and Darmian on the right.

He just played 120 mins. I doubt he is going to start again in a couple of days.
    we all know he isnt going to start but we can hope, it will be rooney up front and Martial from the left.....

Parry Gallister

-------------- De Gea
    -------------- Martial

Want Tony in for the more tired of the fbacks. Chuck one of the kids from today in as for young/as a sub and that has to be the sensible team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    What I want:
    De gea
    Valencia Smalling Jones Rojo
    Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin
    Herrera Mata Young
    Martial
    Though rooney will obviously start. Wouldn't read too much into losing today other then what we already know: Rooney is shit, fellaini is slow, Carrick has been bad, memphis has no confidence, Romero is shit, etc... Just usually martial and the other starters mask those things. So I think we'll see a win.
    2-0 United, martial and mata.

Šjor Bepo

If Rooney starts there is something funny going on at our club. Seriously.
    he will start im 100% sure of it :(
    if there are some bookmakers that offer betting on lineups we should all contribute and give @ItsEssexRob some money to place a bet, he is our only hope.

Riz

he will start im 100% sure of it :(
    if there are some bookmakers that offer betting on lineups we should all contribute and give @ItsEssexRob some money to place a bet, he is our only hope.
    Yeh I've no doubt Rooney will start vs Palace either. Genuinely don't think van Gaal has the balls to drop him.

nemanja15

de Gea

Darmian
    Smalling
    Jones
    Marcos Rojo

Schneiderlin
    Schweinsteiger

Mata
    Herrera
    Martial

Rooney

SUBS: S. Romero, Blind, Valencia, Young, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingard.

Although the whole world and his wife knows it should be Herrera behind Martial and Young the other side of him right now.

U99ted

If there's any positive to be had, we haven't conceded in 4 games from open play. I think with Martial & Mata back in the starting lineup, we'll grind out a 1-0 win.

Raw

If there's any positive to be had, we haven't conceded in 4 games from open play. I think with Martial & Mata back in the starting lineup, we'll grind out a 1-0 win.
    Well technically the CSKA goal was from open play :)

We really just need an early goal. Then we can go do our silly possession football and keep our lead as much as we like.

EmPeeKay

Drop Rooney, move Martial up front, play Ander as the number 10 in front of the Schmidfield, Pereira on the left, Mata on the right and then we'll have a real chance to beat Crystal Palace.

Sweet Square

I just hope the game will be entertaining(And not in the it's so rubbish that it's actually kinda good way).

I will add my name to the list of fans who will be extremely angry at LVG and the club if Rooney starts on Saturday. The front 4 should be Martial, Mata, Herrera and Lingard/Pereira. There is soon going to be protests by matchgoing fans against Rooney if he keeps getting picked. Fergie dropped Rooney for a CL knockout game against Real Madrid to play Welbeck instead, so LVG should be able to do it against Crystal Palace to play Lingard/Pereira.

This is all assuming that it isn't written in Rooney's contract that he has to start. It really wouldn't surprise me if Moyes and Woodward had okayed that at the time in sheer desperation.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    deGea
    Darmian Smalling Jones Rojo
    Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger
    Mata Herrera Young
    Martial
    I'd look to give Darmian a breather but Valencia is injured so we probably don't have an option there.

Gerald G

De Gea
    Darmian-Smalling-Jones-Rojo
    Schneiderlin-Schweinsteiger
    Mata-Herrera-Young
    Martial

subs: Romero; Blind, Carrick, Fellaini, Lingard, Pereira/Memphis, Rooney

If not Young on the left then Lingard or Pereira. I can't be having Rooney starting up top again. Plus Memphis didn't show me anything to put him back in the team yet.

I would consider starting Pereira or Lingard if they didn't play 120 minutes tonight.​

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
    De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Jones Rojo
    Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger
    Mata Herrera Young
    Martial
    Would love for us to take a few more risks and create more chances. We won't get anywhere by playing insipid, sideways football. Some pace, tempo, high pressing, early balls and risks would be nice to see for a change.

Not very confident because Palace are going to park the bus and we usually struggle when that happens. Need to blitz them early, get that early goal and open up the game a little.

Mr Smith

With Rooney in the team:

-----------------------De Gea------------------
    Darmian------Smalling------Jones------Rojo
    -------Schneiderlin----------Schweinsteiger----
    ------Martial--------Herrera-------Young-----
    ----------------------Rooney--------------------

With Rooney out of the team:

----------------------De Gea------------------
    Darmian------Smalling------Jones------Rojo
    -------Schneiderlin----------Schweinsteiger----
    ------Mata---------Herrera--------Young-----
    ---------------------Martial--------------------

If Rooney does play (please, let him not play), I want him up top and as uninvolved in our build-up as possible. The reason I've gone without Mata is I'd like to see how we shape up with serious pace down both wings. I like Mata very much, but in the interests of seeing an increase in tempo, I'd prefer he didn't start for this one.

We have a serious run of games that could determine the course of our season coming up. Must get the 3 points here, and build some optimism and momentum.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    This is so fecking over the top.

Rooney though I agree.
    Memphis and Carrick are bench warmers atm. Fellaini I will give you, but even he is another bench warmer and starter only in certain games. The fact Carrick and Fellaini played the whole games might put them back on the bench anyway. They needed the minutes but I bet LvG was not expecting the extra 30.

suheilsworld

This is going to be tricky. Palace will be up for it considering we have not scored in the last two games and they are good at home. I don't see us getting a win. Draw would be a good result for us

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 455 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw