Crystal Palace

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
As a Liverpool fan my memories of Roy Hodgson are not fond ones. However you have to admire the job that he has done at Crystal Palace. Woy has been in charge just over two years. Selling Wan Bissaka has paid for all his signings and they lie in 9th place. He steadied the ship after the disastrous start in 2017-18 under Frank De Boer and has kept Palace a solid side since then while trimming down the size of the squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A real boring team to watch if you had to watch them for 90 minutes every week. Struggle to win at home but always pick up good number of away wins.

They're doing fine but will probably drift back down the league and finish 11th or 12th once they get some harder away games, think they've got to go to likes of Liverpool, Man. City, Leicester in second half of the season so their away form will dip.

Woy is actually doing similar there to what he did at West Brom and Fulham for 2-3 seasons at each. For that level he's a very effective manager at organising and getting teams comfortable.

As you saw at Liverpool it dosen't translate that well to top level clubs though where a bit more excitement is required.

They’re doing well this season, however I think they should try and look for manager like Potter once Hodgson leaves, their fans are getting fed up with their brand of football.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As a Liverpool fan my memories of Roy Hodgson are not fond ones. However you have to admire the job that he has done at Crystal Palace. Woy has been in charge just over two years. Selling Wan Bissaka has paid for all his signings and they lie in 9th place. He steadied the ship after the disastrous start in 2017-18 under Frank De Boer and has kept Palace a solid side since then while trimming down the size of the squad.
Roy all over.

Give him a club where there's no expectations beyond avoiding the drop and he will overachieve, sometimes spectacularly as we saw with Fulham and to an extent this season. However give him a job where there's serious expectations to deliver and he doesn't have the mindset to cope, in his mind everything delivered outside the basics is a bonus, when he was with you guys he was genuinely acting like he was still at Fulham, I still to this day laugh at some of his quotes while with you.

Basically in layman's terms, don't expect anything from him and he'd do a good job.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
A real boring team to watch if you had to watch them for 90 minutes every week. Struggle to win at home but always pick up good number of away wins.
That's one thing I do find pretty odd with Roy's Palace, if I recall correctly historically his away record in England is awful, especially with Fulham, however with Palace he seems to have turned that right around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's one thing I do find pretty odd with Roy's Palace, if I recall correctly historically his away record in England is awful, especially with Fulham, however with Palace he seems to have turned that right around.
Fulham were awful away under loads of managers, think they went a year without winning away under Chris Coleman. Can remember them coming to Villa Park every season and barely attacking and it would be our most comfortable home win of the season yet they'd still finish top 10 in most of those seasons. :lol:

Also had a bad away period under Martin Jol but again were solid mid table for his first two seasons. Also last season but that was completely different era. Even in the championship Fulham are dodgy away, couldn't beat Luton yesterday.

Palace first starting picking up the away form in the last months of Pulis season in charge, fine tuned it under Pardew and Woy has just continued it wisely.

If you get 20 points or more away in the season you have to be really really bad at home to be serious threatened by relegation. Already 11 points this season with games at Southampton and Norwich upcoming.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Went to Selhurst Park a few years ago.....what a shithole that place is.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Roy all over.

Give him a club where there's no expectations beyond avoiding the drop and he will overachieve, sometimes spectacularly as we saw with Fulham and to an extent this season. However give him a job where there's serious expectations to deliver and he doesn't have the mindset to cope, in his mind everything delivered outside the basics is a bonus, when he was with you guys he was genuinely acting like he was still at Fulham, I still to this day laugh at some of his quotes while with you.

Basically in layman's terms, don't expect anything from him and he'd do a good job.
I do think in another period he might've been a decent England manager. Maybe in 2006 when McClaren took over a very experienced set of players but who were all still at their peak or still to come.

Taking over in 2012 when likes of Gerrard, Lampard were needing to be moved out, Rooney was starting to struggle at club level and basically having to push loads of young players into the squad was asking for trouble.

He wasn't helped by the next generation of Jones, Wilshere, Carroll and the Ox all being massively injury prone but just the wrong manager for that sort of job. Southgate much better at it.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
We’ve taken more points in 2019 than Spurs and Arsenal, 57 in the last 38 games. We’ve conceded less goals this season than everyone bar Liverpool and Leicester, including Utd with your £130m of improvements in defence, one of whom was our POTY last year and who Roy didn’t even get a replacement for.

The numbers are incredible considering we have invested pennies in the squad during his tenure, the team gets worse every year due to the lack of interest from our American owners who want out (you think yours are bad...) and he has done it with a ‘strikeforce‘ of Jordan Ayew (journeyman up to now), Christian Benteke (1 goal in 2 years) and Connor Wickham (remember him?). It makes the Spurs/Arsenal stat even more remarkable when you think who Spurs and Arsenal have to pick from offensively in comparison.

We never spent the Wan-Bissaka money OP, total spend was £5m in the summer...we also have 7 of our first team out injured with a wafer thin squad and are still picking up points with squad players out of position all over the park. I actually suggest if he was given some backing by our board and a proper goalscorer to work with we’d be challenging for Europe. A sh**e site more respect should be put on his name for the year he’s had, in really difficult circumstances.

Interestingly enough his contract is up in the summer and he is making noises about wanting 4 or 5 players in January. These are players we should have already signed but our board have no inclination to invest anything, and tbf from their perspective why should they when he is performing heroics with no investment? If he doesn’t get the players he wants I don’t think he’ll sign a new contract, and that will really put us in trouble as I don’t think any manager could get as much out of our small squad as he is.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I actually quite like Palace, they were a bogey team for the Scousers for a few years. Still can’t believe they snuck a win against us at OT though.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Roy is doing a stellar job there. They lack a clinical CF though.
Oh for one of those. I’ve heard our most likely striker signing will be Fabio Borini on loan ffs...another non-scoring centre-forward while the AWB money goes straight in to the American owners’ pockets :mad: Why he’d continue put himself through it at 72 I have no idea, I wouldn’t sign a contract either.

We have one right back in the squad (injured long term), one left-back (injured long term), two wingers (one is injured long term) and no clinical striker to speak of, those are the 4 positions that he wants players for and I don’t blame him. I don’t think any other manager would even have given it this long and not walked before now to be honest.

Will say it again, performing miracles with the hand he’s been given. He is operating in even worse conditions than under Kroenke at Arsenal, Ashley at Newcastle and all the other well-publicised ones, at least they’ve re-invested transfer fees when they’ve come in.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think Ayew is fantastic.

However, I agree with @Robbie Boy 's point. Maybe not a CF, but a clinical player in general. Ayew, like Martial for us and Firmino for Liverpool, contributes so much to the build-up in terms of holding the ball up, bringing others into play, and dropping deep to create chances, that he's not in goalscoring positions himself, and Palace don't really have a goalscorer likes us (Rashford) or Liverpool (Mané and Salah) to take advantage of that.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's another thing about Ayew. He works incredibly hard defensively. Think Rooney and Tevez for us back in t'day. Always pressing, tracking runners, and just coming deep to shore up the team in general.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think Ayew is fantastic.

However, I agree with @Robbie Boy 's point. Maybe not a CF, but a clinical player in general. Ayew, like Martial for us and Firmino for Liverpool, contributes so much to the build-up in terms of holding the ball up, bringing others into play, and dropping deep to create chances, that he's not in goalscoring positions himself, and Palace don't really have a goalscorer likes us (Rashford) or Liverpool (Mané and Salah) to take advantage of that.
He's certainly not a pure CF. For us most of his goals were outside the box and he can drop off and link up with play no problem.

Would've been very good in the 4-4-2 era you'd suspect.