Cup draws under Ole

Hughie77

I'm convinced now the draws this year are bent, they must be. Although there not, ok AC Milan probably out of the other 15 is the top 3 toughest draw along with Spurs Arsenal ? . Its 2 legged tie and were home first, so paramount we dont Concede an away goal. Bloody luck of the draw, wow.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think we definitely get harder teams earlier on on average. Everyone gets the occasional easy game, but we've been getting fecked in draws since Ole started.

18/19
  • Arsenal (A)
  • Chelsea (A)
  • Wolves (A)
  • Barcelona
19/20
  • Wolves
  • Tranmere
  • Derby
  • Norwich
  • Chelsea (fa cup here was lucky draws)
  • Rochdale
  • Chelsea
  • Colchester
  • Man City (2nd round played chelsea, but 2 easy draws around that)
  • AZ/Astana/Partizan (europa group is never hard)
  • Brugge
  • Lask
  • Copenhagen
  • Sevilla
19/20 we had lucky draws then I'll accept! But also competition wise Europa you're likely to get easy draws.

20/21
  • Watford (h)
  • Liverpool (h)
  • West ham (h)
  • Leicester (a) (very tough fa cup run that)
  • Luton (a)
  • Brighton (a)
  • Everton (a)
  • City (h) (very tough efl cup run IMO)
  • PSG/Leipzig/Istanbul (obviously tough CL group)
  • Sociedad
  • Milan (couldn't ask for much tougher draws on paper for Europa)
So18/19 was mental, 19/20 was piss easy draws, 20/21 really tough again.
I think they look really tough when you compare them with City's draws over the last couple of years. Now, they have enjoyed some good luck. But people like to exaggerate, in general. I was pissed too because at that stage we could have drawn Molde, Slavia Prague or Rangers and we ended up with Milan. Sorry, i never thought Real Sociedad was a tough draw as i consider us to be much better than anything below the third position in La Liga. Unless all the fuss is about not getting the easiest possible draw. I agree on the FA Cup draws this season. As i mentioned City's EFL draws in 20-21 (Burnley, Arsenal, United, all away) were not easier than ours.

And don't forget that they are, sadly, on a whole different level. What we see as a fairly easy group for them against Atalanta and Shakhtar, it would probably look like a mountain to climb for us atm.

FirstTouch

Nope. We have Wolves again. Arsenal A was round 3 last season.
Sorry for bothering everyone.

my red cafe screen seems to be very small atm (wording seems to be a lot smaller)

I might have accidentally changed settings I don’t know.

Im using an IPhone

Any advice on making the words bigger?

Other sites I use the wording is normal size.

Thank you.

Paul_Scholes18

Our draws this year have been really bad. Spurs and Man City keep getting lucky draws.

I think at this stage though all games are pretty hard. Think earlier rounds it is more annoying since it stopped us from rotating the squad more.

lysglimt

Scout
Well the good thing from this is that Milan is in awful form

1-1 against Red Star (h) who finished the game with 10 men
0-3 against Inter (h)
2-2 against Red Star (a)
0-2 against Spezia (a)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think we definitely get harder teams earlier on on average
That should be the point. You will obviously end up playing stronger teams when you go to QF or SF of the cup, but some clubs get piss poor clubs in the initial draws and some gets tough ones. When this keeps repeating for years, it's becomes very frustrating.

Hope Ole's luck changes when it comes to draws.

troylocker

Ole's cup draws so far:

18/19
FA cup:
3. round Reading (H)
4. round Arsenal (A)
5. round Chelsea (A)
Q-final Wolves (A)

CL:
Ro16 PSG
Q-final Barca

19/20
Carabao cup:
3. round Rochdale (H)
4. round Chelsea (A)
Q-final Colchester (H) (first luck draw)
Semi Man City over 2 legs (Leicester and Villa was also in the pot)

FA cup (the easiest road we've had under Ole):
3. round Wolves (A)
4. round Tranmere (A)
5. round Derby (A)
Q-final Norwich (A)
Semi Chelsea (H) (City and Arsenal also in the pot)

EL (quite easy road as well):
Ro32 Club Brugge
Ro16 Lask Linz
Q-final FC Copenhagen (H)
Semi Sevilla (A) (Inter and Shaktar also in the pot)

20/21
Carabao cup:
3. round Luton (A)
4. round Brighton (A)
Q-final Everton (A)
Semi City (H) (Brentford and Spurs also in the pot)

FA cup:
3. round Watford (H)
4. round Liverpool (H)
5. round West Ham (H)
Q-final Leicester (A)

EL:
Ro32 La Real
Ro16 Milan

Domestic cups: 12 away draws and 8 home draws, 14 teams from PL and 7 teams from lower leagues.

Conclusion: Last season wasn't too bad. This season has been the most unlucky so far. We've failed to be lucky in a semi-final draw or a CL draw under Ole, with both City draws and the Barca draw topping that stat.
Wish we pulled a weeker team than Milan out of the hat today too.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The gods are doing their best to make sure we don't have to endure another another semi-final exit.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
You should include our CL draws this season too - PSG and RB Leipzig aren't walk in the parks neither!

Blueman

Supports
Man City
I totally agree with City have had easy draws lately. But when we started in the CL we were getting Barca/Bayern/RM every single year, and being beat by them heavily. But now we're regularly seeded and the coefficient has gotten better we've had much easier draws. It pays to be a successful club when talking about the CL

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I am glad we got AC.
It will make us play better

Plus we can pretend its a CL match:D

Remember the geese

I totally agree with City have had easy draws lately. But when we started in the CL we were getting Barca/Bayern/RM every single year, and being beat by them heavily. But now we're regularly seeded and the coefficient has gotten better we've had much easier draws. It pays to be a successful club when talking about the CL
You guys are only ever a second seed though when not entering the Champions League as Premier League Champions. Much the same as us.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not sure how people here are saying AC isn't a tough draw... are they the same people who predict a win in every single game? Frankly, it pisses me off how easy other English teams have had it in the Europa and CL this season, by comparison. I think that's the end of our run to be honest...

NFM

Milan is a known quantity. Italian teams are not the best at the moment. Much better this than Prague for instance, who are a physical pressing side, just the sort United don't particularly like. Two good games ahead, United to go through relatively easily I think.

passing-wind

It's a pointless connotation currently, we are in a redundant European competition. We should be winning the Europa League with no exception. The reality is that we don't impose ourselves well enough in games so knockout competitions will be a weakness under Ole until we have a consistentcy about the teams identity.

jetlee

Got to assume Dalot is going to be cup tied so that is an immediate advantage to Milan :lol:
Why do people think this is beyond me. Just last season Coutinho scored twice against Barca while on loan to Bayern.

Gandalf

Why do people think this is beyond me. Just last season Coutinho scored twice against Barca while on loan to Bayern.
Depends on the terms of the deal, we are usually quite strict about including a clause blocking our loanees from playing against us. Of course the original post was a joke anyway but seems to have sailed over your head.

jetlee

Depends on the terms of the deal, we are usually quite strict about including a clause blocking our loanees from playing against us. Of course the original post was a joke anyway but seems to have sailed over your head.
Apologies for the tone here, I was just reading too many such quotes. Anyway this is from Ole:
"He went there to get some experience at a big club and he's learned a lot.
He's played a lot more games this season, kept fit and, hopefully, we can give him some bother!”

Gandalf

Apologies for the tone here, I was just reading too many such quotes. Anyway this is from Ole:
"He went there to get some experience at a big club and he's learned a lot.
He's played a lot more games this season, kept fit and, hopefully, we can give him some bother!”
No apology required nd it turns out you were right anyway, he is eligible. Ole Solskjaer, ruining my jokes since 2021.

MileStolar

I watched the game against Red Star last night, and we (Red Star) were better team even after going man down, we also come from Serbian League which is almost amateur level. They were really really bad, so unless they raise they game against us (with our luck they probably will) I'd expect us to beat them comfortably.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I am glad we got AC.
It will make us play better

Plus we can pretend its a CL match:D
This.

It looks like a proper european fixture instead of us playing some team we can't even pronounce the name of.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Another shit one. We get the PL leaders while City face some farmers from Wyoming or wherever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
City have had what seems to be a record number of lower league draws since Ole has been here.

always_hoping

3rd round of the league cup, a nice easy tie surely? Nope only the current table toppers of the Premier league.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If we can't even beat West Ham, what's the point of going further in the tournament?

If anything, it's even better to get West Ham because they'll be resting players for the league campaign.

Hughie77

Wycombe or West Ham I know who I'd prefer, is this a coincidence or is it deliberate? It cant be the latter, but you just cant help thinking wow again . Wait for this afternoon CL draw dont expect a easy group.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If we can't even beat West Ham, what's the point of going further in the tournament?

If anything, it's even better to get West Ham because they'll be resting players for the league campaign.
But we will ideally be doing the same?