18/19
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
Wolves A (Lost)

PSG
Barcelona (lost)

19/20

Wolves A again (still to be played)

Already had Chelsea A in League Cup and now another Manchester Derby.

He's not much of a lucky charm is he? We've had some awful cup draws under him already. However we've had some good nights in those fixtures too so not sure if it's good or bad thing.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
18/19
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
Wolves A (Lost)

PSG
Barcelona (lost)

19/20

He's not much of a lucky charm is he? We've had some awful cup draws under him already. However we've had some good nights in those fixtures too so not sure if it's good or bad thing.
It's a good thing - these are the matches we want to see, no disrespect but Rochdale and Colchester at home just doesnt get my juices flowing

MrBest

Strangely, I feel more confident playing City than Aston Villa. I feel Ole gets the team more motivated in big games than he does in games against weaker opposition. I think we could actually win the league cup and Europa league as long as we play bigger teams. We are pathetic against smaller ones. Hopefully we meet a raring to go, 1st placed Leicester in the final :angel::wenger:

Betson

Would agree that Ole needs to up his game when it comes to these draws.

NorLogs

Would agree that Ole needs to up his game when it comes to these draws.
We really struggle to break down these low block cup draws. Not sure if it's the players or the coaches fault, but Ole needs to go.

Reactions: Penna

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Not sure on Poch’s record on cup draws, but it can’t be worse than this. Ole’s clearly not cut out for cup draws at this level. He’s out of his depth.

Maybe he could step aside and be director of cup draws?

lysglimt

Scout
Not sure on Poch’s record on cup draws, but it can’t be worse than this. Ole’s clearly not cut out for cup draws at this level. He’s out of his depth.

Maybe he could step aside and be director of cup draws?
He has rigged the draw to be able to play counter-attacking football. This never would have happened if we had a team capable of breaking down weaker opposition, then we naturally would have faced easier sides in the draw. I agree - OGS has to go!

ChaddyP

18/19
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
Wolves A (Lost)

PSG
Barcelona (lost)

19/20

Are you saying that the reason we drew, hard ties like ,barcelona psg arsenal and chelsea in cup draws is because of Ole ? So does that mean we could get easier ties if we had a different manager? Im trying to follow the logic.

RedTiger

Half mast
Are you saying that the reason we drew, hard ties like ,barcelona psg arsenal and chelsea in cup draws is because of Ole ? So does that mean we could get easier ties if we had a different manager? Im trying to follow the logic.
When the tombola starts turning ole just sits there, why isn't he on his feet urging the tombola on???

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Milan in the Europa league.

Is it fair to judge Ole against Mourinho and Van Gaal considering the sides he's had to face in the cups?

Raw

It's a bit bloody ridiculous. Maybe we'll get all the good luck all at once next season, get the easiest draws in every competition and win the quadruple :lol:

Mainoldo

Milan in the Europa league.

Is it fair to judge Ole against Mourinho and Van Gaal considering the sides he's had to face in the cups?
Did the other guys have it easier?

We always end up playing big sides except for Jose’s 1 Europa league run.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This is a joke...even at the point we were drawn, any of the other four teams would’ve been preferable

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is the most unlucky manager when it comes to cup draws.

SER19

By the time our draw was made there Milan were left with 4 weaker teams. We had an 80% chance of a softer draw :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Did the other guys have it easier?

We always end up playing big sides except for Jose’s 1 Europa league run.
Arguably yes in the cup runs where they won.

In LVG's Cup run the most difficult we faced was Everton in the semi-final. We beat Shrewsbury Town, Sheffield United and Derby along the way.

Mourinho did beat City in the league Cup but I think we played a full strength team and they played the reserves.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Continues to be absolutely brutal luck.
Does it? I guess you can't always get Brugge, LASK and Coppenhagen on your way to a semi-final. Or Tranmere, Derby and Norwich for that matter. We had Chelsea and City between and after Rochdale and Colchester in the EFL but this season City, who according to the Caf, always get easy-peasy draws had to beat both Arsenal and us to get to the final.

Don't get me wrong, i understand the sentiment but it's hugely exaggerated.

acnumber9

In 8 domestic cup draws we’ve drawn 6 Premier League sides. 5 of them have been against the 6 other sides in the top 7. What are the actual odds of that?

SER19

City's cup draws in recent years as far as semi final, for comparison sake. I've bracketed a couple of semi finals where even they were simple. When you're facing this with a bench worth many times more than almost every team here, you'll get to the odd final

Port Vale
Fulham
Sheffield Wednesday
Newcastle

Preston
Southampton
Oxford

Rotherham
Burnley
Newport
Swansea
(Brighton, Watford)

Oxford
Fulham
Leicester
(Burton)

Burnley
Cardiff
Wigan

West Brom
Wolves
Leicester
(Bristol)

West ham
Crystal Palace
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough

acnumber9

City's cup draws in recent years as far as semi final, for comparison sake. I've bracketed a couple of semi finals where even they were simple. When you're facing this with a bench worth many times more than almost every team here, you'll get to the odd final

Port Vale
Fulham
Sheffield Wednesday
Newcastle

Preston
Southampton
Oxford

Rotherham
Burnley
Newport
Swansea
(Brighton, Watford)

Oxford
Fulham
Leicester
(Burton)

Burnley
Cardiff
Wigan

West Brom
Wolves
Leicester
(Bristol)

West ham
Crystal Palace
Huddersfield
Middlesbrough
Their route to the quarters of the FA Cup this year has been Birmingham, Cheltenham and Swansea. It’s tough being City.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does it? I guess you can't always get Brugge, LASK and Coppenhagen on your way to a semi-final. Or Tranmere, Derby and Norwich for that matter. We had Chelsea and City between and after Rochdale and Colchester in the EFL but this season City, who according to the Caf, always get easy-peasy draws had to beat both Arsenal and us to get to the final.

I think we definitely get harder teams earlier on on average. Everyone gets the occasional easy game, but we've been getting fecked in draws since Ole started.

18/19
  • Arsenal (A)
  • Chelsea (A)
  • Wolves (A)
  • Barcelona
19/20
  • Wolves
  • Tranmere
  • Derby
  • Norwich
  • Chelsea (fa cup here was lucky draws)
  • Rochdale
  • Chelsea
  • Colchester
  • Man City (2nd round played chelsea, but 2 easy draws around that)
  • AZ/Astana/Partizan (europa group is never hard)
  • Brugge
  • Lask
  • Copenhagen
  • Sevilla
19/20 we had lucky draws then I'll accept! But also competition wise Europa you're likely to get easy draws.

20/21
  • Watford (h)
  • Liverpool (h)
  • West ham (h)
  • Leicester (a) (very tough fa cup run that)
  • Luton (a)
  • Brighton (a)
  • Everton (a)
  • City (h) (very tough efl cup run IMO)
  • PSG/Leipzig/Istanbul (obviously tough CL group)
  • Sociedad
  • Milan (couldn't ask for much tougher draws on paper for Europa)
So18/19 was mental, 19/20 was piss easy draws, 20/21 really tough again.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I'm surprised Milan wasn't replaced before the draw with Bayern who decided to go for the EL instead.

On a more serious note: Our cup draws are just the worst. We've had no easy cup ties this season to my recollection, apart from Watford.

Milan were pretty bad in their last EL tie though, and they are VERY dependant on Zlatan. Chances are the old timer will nurture another injury by the time we play them. And if not for gods sake play Bailly

always_hoping

With really tough period in the Premier league along with playing Leicester away in the FA Cup now more than ever Ole needed a easier cup draw.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

City definitely get piss easy draws though.
18/19 to win the FA Cup they had:
  • Rotherham, Burnley, Newport, Swansea, Brighton, Watford (every time it was a PL opponent, it was at home)
To win the EFL cup they had:
  • Oxford, fulham, Leicester, Burton, Chelsea in the final
CL they had:
  • Lyon shakhtar hoffenheim in group
  • Schalke and then Spurs in knockout
19/20 they had...
Fa cup:
  • Port Vale, fulham, Sheffield, newcastle, arsenal
EFL cup:
  • Preston, Southampton, Oxford, United, Villa
CL:
  • atalanta, shakhtar, Dinamo zagreb
  • Real Madrid
  • Lyon
20/21:
Fa cup:
  • Birmingham, Cheltenham, Swansea, Everton
EFL cup:
  • Bournemouth, Burnley, arsenal, United, Spurs (finally a tough draw)
UCL:
  • Porto, olympiacos, Marseille
  • Monchengladbach
Theirs are completely fecked. And it's been going on for a lot longer than since Ole has been here. It's all luck of course, but Ole's has been brutal.