Television Curb your enthusiasm

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Just started watching the first series. I liked the first few episodes but after the sixth or seventh I got a bit tired of all the confrontational characters. It seems like all the characters always end up shouting and Larry David just constantly argues with people- it can be funny but the concept is too repetative, so I was wondering if this formula will remain throughout the following eight series or is anything radically different going to happen?

Cina

I actually never got all the hype, to be honest. Larry David pisses me off.

Cina

Did you watch the entire series?
As in, all 6?

Well no, why would I do that? I'm pretty sure after watching the first series I'd figured out I didn't like it.

If you thought the first series of Lost was crap would you watch the whole thing?

Silly question.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
As in, all 6?

Well no, why would I do that? I'm pretty sure after watching the first series I'd figured out I didn't like it.

If you thought the first series of Lost was crap would you watch the whole thing?

Silly question.
Ok, feck off then.

Zen

I like Seinfeld, always sunny in Philadelphia, arrested development, and that's about it, probably. Why?
Well...basically because most comedies have a repetitive formula, and you just named 2 shows that definitely do. So it can't be that it uses a basic formula thats making you dislike it....but no it rarely sways away from that, although the episodes with Shaq and 'Krazee Eyez Killa' are probably my favourite, see if you watch them first -_-

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
It's brilliant.

The whole raison d'etre of the show is that this guy doesn't practice social norms, which leads to conflicts with virtually anyone else, as everyone else is abiding by these unwritten rules.
It's strange that you don't like it, since you're a Seinfeld fan and George Costanza was based on Larry David.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
I've recently started watching it from the first episode thanks to Sky Atlantic (god send!) and i'm really enjoying it still after 8 episodes I think.

I can completely understand why to some it would be tedious but I find that kind of humour funny and it's something I know i'll watch through to the end.

Zen

I wouldn't say that's strange at all. I know plenty of people from other forums who love one but find the other overrated, it's understandable since they are kind of hugely different to each other outside of Larry David.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Just started watching the first series. I liked the first few episodes but after the sixth or seventh I got a bit tired of all the confrontational characters. It seems like all the characters always end up shouting and Larry David just constantly argues with people- it can be funny but the concept is too repetative, so I was wondering if this formula will remain throughout the following eight series or is anything radically different going to happen?
It is not as intelligent or plot driven as Arrested Development, less slapstick than Seinfeld but has the similar. Definietly watch the second and third season. It will get more refined at what it is trying to be but the thing about Larry getting into pointless arguments is going to stick so is the confrontational characters one.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I disagree, Zen. The characters in Seinfeld are social misfits, just like Larry is in Curb. George is obsessed with toilets, Jerry dumps hot chicks for the tiniest flaws and Elaine starts fights over nothing. Kramer, the oddest of the bunch on the surface, is actually the one who is most liked by the rest of society (in the show).

Zen

Seinfeld is a scripted sitcom restricted by prime time restrictions. Curb is a R-rated foul mouthed mostly improvisational comedy.....just watching them back to back shows how far apart they are.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
It's brilliant.

The whole raison d'etre of the show is that this guy doesn't practice social norms, which leads to conflicts with virtually anyone else, as everyone else is abiding by these unwritten rules.
It's strange that you don't like it, since you're a Seinfeld fan and George Costanza was based on Larry David.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I dont like it, it's just that I had the impression everyone is walking all over him whereas in Seinfeld even George has him moments of victory. But I cannot really judge it well because I only watched the first few episodes. I like Larry and I think it was very clever that he has a wife who is kinda the voice of reason (so far) and always provides this balance, calms things down and makes sure not every single character in the episodes is insane or hysterical.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Larry David is a genius, I know that word is banded about too often but I mean it in it's purest sense; he comes up with ideas and material that nobody else could imagine. Watch the episode "The Doll" and if you still can't get onto David's level after watching that then I despair for you.

Masterplan

AKA united07
Curb your enthusiasm is great, i have all of them on dvd. Stick with it, in my opinion the first season is the worst, so it should only get better from there.

Zen

Larry David is a genius, I know that word is banded about too often but I mean it in it's purest sense; he comes up with ideas and material that nobody else could imagine. Watch the episode "The Doll" and if you still can't get onto David's level after watching that then I despair for you.
You mean "The Doll" Curb or Seinfeld? -_-

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Curb is one the greatest sitcoms ever - I pity those who don't like it

Salvation

Damnation
It is not as intelligent or plot driven as Arrested Development, less slapstick than Seinfeld but has the similar. Definietly watch the second and third season. It will get more refined at what it is trying to be but the thing about Larry getting into pointless arguments is going to stick so is the confrontational characters one.
Curb in top form is more intelligently scripted (on a parodistic level) than Arrested Development.

But AD had other things like audiences knowing stuff through the narrator which characters themselves didn't to make it hilarious.

Wouldn't pick one over the other.

Cina

I appreciate your opinion but not so much your fecking wise ass comments and analogies, pissing me right off on a Sunday morning.
Alright, maybe I misinterpreted your question, I thought it was a sarcastic comment or some such.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Curb in top form is more intelligently scripted (on a parodistic level) than Arrested Development.

But AD had other things like audiences knowing stuff through the narrator which characters themselves didn't to make it hilarious.

A lot of critics consider the use of a narrator as a sign of weakness in the screen writing. Personally I don't have such high aesthetic standards and enjoyed both series enormously. If I could only have watched one it would be Curb, David is a social satirist of the highest order.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Alright, maybe I misinterpreted your question, I thought it was a sarcastic comment or some such.
Not at all, being absolutely unfamiliar with Curb it was a genuine question as I thought the concept might change throughout the series etc.

Peace.

crappycraperson

Scout

I think the narrator thing was mainly done on AD to avoid making it even more hard to follow for American audience. Little things being played out in the beginning of the series coming into effect even at th end of the series, makes AD more intelligent series for me.

AD edges it for me due to having multiple arcs running on multiple characters while Curb is centered around one though I do not think there is anything wrong with someone saying Curb is better.

Member 39557

“I'll tell you what I'm driving at! I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!”

Brophs

The One and Only
I didn't think it was a great episode, though the switch they did with everyone getting divorced was nice.

Also, does anyone else really fancy Larry's wife?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Havent given this show any time tbh, but Seinfeld was excellent. 4 dysfunctional characters makin gobshites of themselves... brilliant recipe for all kinds of shenanigans. Will have to sit down & watch one of the episodes soon enough tho & maybe get a series boxset if i like it!

Incidently, went searching for Seinfeld boxsets in HMV (Dublin) - what a feckin rip-off, some of them cost €60, the average being €40. feck that shit. I got the Soprano's complete boxset for an Xmas price special at €70, its still around €90-€100 mark too!

Member 39557

Havent given this show any time tbh, but Seinfeld was excellent. 4 dysfunctional characters makin gobshites of themselves... brilliant recipe for all kinds of shenanigans. Will have to sit down & watch one of the episodes soon enough tho & maybe get a series boxset if i like it!

Incidently, went searching for Seinfeld boxsets in HMV (Dublin) - what a feckin rip-off, some of them cost €60, the average being €40. feck that shit. I got the Soprano's complete boxset for an Xmas price special at €70, its still around €90-€100 mark too!
They're £10.00 per series on Play.com, do they deliver to Ireland?

Brophs

The One and Only

Bizarrely Heatons had a load of them for a tenner each a while back. I think it's Series 1-3 in one boxset and the rest on their own. Might be worth seeing if they still have them.

crappycraperson

Scout
Good-ish episode. Though having watched too many curb episodes (every episode about 3 times), it is getting very formulaic for me.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Watched a random episode that was on tv last night. Thought it was hilarious, it was the one were his car seat is broke and women keep getting off on it. The part with his therapist keeps giving away names was brilliant. Going to watch more now.

:lol: It's so good.