Curious Case of Alan Curbishley

Loon

:lol:
So strange that worse managers go from job to job to job, yet "Curbs" only really got a shot twice. Once if you count actually resigning, and later suing, West Ham - who he saved from relegation at one of the most annoying games I've ever attended at OT (we received the league trophy and I was furious!) .

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's an odd one, was a very good manager, and after leaving management was always on the media shortlist for various jobs (a ridiculous amount), but never reappeared.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Read a guardian article not long ago about him leaving West ham. I think he just couldn't be arsed with working in the championship.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
So strange that worse managers go from job to job to job, yet "Curbs" only really got a shot twice. Once if you count actually resigning, and later suing, West Ham - who he saved from relegation at one of the most annoying games I've ever attended at OT (we received the league trophy and I was furious!) .
Worse managers yes, but I imagine most clubs aren't exactly keen on being sued by former managers.

Loon

:lol:
Worse managers yes, but I imagine most clubs aren't exactly keen on being sued by former managers.
I did think about that potentially leaving him black-balled, but West Ham did violate the terms of his contract.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Interesting thread. I remember for a good 2-3 years after he left West Ham, he was the betting favorite for just about every Premier League manager job outside the top 4 that opened up.

I'd imagine some chairmen weren't happy about him having sued West Ham, even if he was completely correct to have done so.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Top manager. Only left West Ham because he was angry at the attitude of the board. That shows balls too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I swear I see his and David O'Leary's name on the betting list every time some shit team needs a new manager.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's still the 'be careful what you wish for' go to example.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I go to a lot of Charlton games and for their first game this season they had a big presentation for renaming a stand after him.
In the build up to it he did an article where he explained why he didn’t really go back into coaching. I can’t remember his reasons exactly, I think it was he didn’t fancy the first few that came his way and then after a while the offers just dried up.

Edit
He talks about it here.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/alan...is-exit-and-being-picky-over-other-boss-jobs/

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
After their 2nd promotion to the Premier League in 2000, IIRC I don't think that Charlton were ever under any danger of getting relegated at all during the next 6 seasons under Curbishley. During Pulis's final season at Stoke for example, they were a couple of points ahead of the relegation zone with about 5 games left I think after they lost to Man Utd (although I never thought they could go down as there clearly more than 3 teams that were worse than them), but Charlton under Curbishley never even faced that sort of pressure from 2000-2006.

I think they tended to have a very strong 'middle third' of the season, raising fans' hopes of potentially qualifying for Europe, before fading during the final stretch and settling for a mid-table position, so some of those fans became increasingly frustrated when that script continued to play out.

Also I think there was a period when they seemed to have an exceptionally good record in London derbies.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Read a guardian article not long ago about him leaving West ham. I think he just couldn't be arsed with working in the championship.
Yeah I read that too, can't remember quite what he said but think one of the points was him actually suing West Ham after leaving put loads of chairmen off. Then the years past and managers from that era (Paul Jewell is another) just get forgotten about when shortlists are put up.

Quite interesting to think how history would've panned out if he'd got the Liverpool job instead of Benitez in summer 2004 as he was supposed to be the back up choice. Would've probably been their Moyes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I liked him! Was odd he kind of just vanished out of football?

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Didn’t he have a short spell at Fulham as well? Think he was just Assistant manager there though.