Curious Case of Coutinho...

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
The ultimate stop gap player for a year until they sign Sane who they have a thing for

Rolaholic

I never want to hear anyone saying we shouldn't be asking for 150m at the least for Pogba when Barca paid 140m+ for 5 goals and 2 assists from this joker...

They paid 120m for Dembele too and he's looking to be on the outs already too

Nico87

Has anyone read the story that Liverpool are going to get the full £18 million loan fee?. If this is true how did Barca manage to negotiate such a bad deal.

fergiesarmy1

They often have to wear it due to sponsors nowadays, it's not just an ego thing. The clubs don't want all the photos to have loads of players wearing their own, unbranded clothes.
Pretty sure that wasn’t terry’s motivation

RedStarUnited

I never want to hear anyone saying we shouldn't be asking for 150m at the least for Pogba when Barca paid 140m+ for 5 goals and 2 assists from this joker...

That Neymar money was so badly spent.

El Zoido

How did it go so far wrong? He was brilliant for Liverpool and maybe the price was a bit over the top, but he was still such an excellent player. Barca are a strange club, I guess being a servant to Messi doesn’t always suit a player..

RedNed77

I don't think we'll buy him in the end.
I imagine theyd be willing to lower that valuation a little too. I couldn't see them getting much more than £60m for him at the moment based on his last 12 months. He was never worth even close to what Barca paid for him.

Skills

Snitch
Bayern's mugging off both Madrid and Barcelona.

2 year loan for James and now 1 year loan for Coutinho. That's about 200m that Madrid and Barcelona paid in total for them, and Bayern getting a few years of their prime for peanuts. Fairplay.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

2 year loan for James and now 1 year loan for Coutinho. That's about 200m that Madrid and Barcelona paid in total for them, and Bayern getting a few years of their prime for peanuts. Fairplay.
That loan is going to cost more than 30 million for Bayern. 8.5 million fee + 24/25 million wages.

redshaw

Well it is said Barca paid 100m and 40m in addons for Coutinho. So many post 140m but I doubt he's done enough to activate these addons and probably why he's left out and pushed out, they don't want to activate anymore addons.

Has anyone read the story that Liverpool are going to get the full £18 million loan fee?. If this is true how did Barca manage to negotiate such a bad deal.
It was appalling journalism. It was just that Barca would pay the loan fee direct to Liverpool as they still own them money from the transfer (staggered payments, which happens in most transfers). It wasn’t additional money as the result of the loan.

It’s a low risk strategy.

How much would James have cost 2 years ago, compared to now? Bayern certainty got the best end of that stick.

There’s no way they are paying £100m for him next summer.

That loan is going to cost more than 30 million for Bayern. 8.5 million fee + 24/25 million wages.
Agree you have to factor in the total costs - but they would have had to pay those wages to him if they bought him.

Good deal for Bayern.

Nico87

It was appalling journalism. It was just that Barca would pay the loan fee direct to Liverpool as they still own them money from the transfer (staggered payments, which happens in most transfers). It wasn’t additional money as the result of the loan.
Cheers, that makes much morse sense. The way the article was presented made it look like Liverpool had negotiated clauses that entitled them to further money. Suppose the loan deal isn’t that bad for Barca then as £8 mil is an Ok fee for a 1 year loan and if he’s successful it makes him a lot easier to sell, even if Bayern don’t commit.

Last edited:

neilv93

I don't think we'll buy him in the end.
Nah I imagine it'll be another James situation but I just mean Barca have done well to get that price fixed into the contract as the option-to-buy fee. I think he'll be good for you guys but agreed, think it's just a short-term fix for all parties to get him back into the shop window for PSG to want him enough in next summer's inevitable Neymar part three saga.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
His reported wages at barca were north of 400k tbf
Weird. Everything I saw reported when he left was that he had actually taken a pay cut to be able to join them.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
How did it go so far wrong? He was brilliant for Liverpool and maybe the price was a bit over the top, but he was still such an excellent player. Barca are a strange club, I guess being a servant to Messi doesn’t always suit a player..
Never thought he was that great for Pool. He was an AM who wasn't much good at AM so often had to play inside left, and from there he didn't even score that much. Certainly not a patch on Suarez, Torres or Salah.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Was always going to be one of Bale or Coutinho who ended up being loaned to Bayern, wasn't it?

Sp00ks11

I think Griezmann is going to find this out too.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Really not sure why players are still naive enough to ‘dream’ of Barcelona and Madrid when they see this happen time and time again. He had it all at Liverpool, was adored with a club on the up clearly and now his stock is pretty low and he’s gone somewhere to reboot his career.

Players need to realise that they can’t all play for those clubs and be successful even if they do have the talent to do so. Make your mark somewhere else.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really not sure why players are still naive enough to ‘dream’ of Barcelona and Madrid when they see this happen time and time again. He had it all at Liverpool, was adored with a club on the up clearly and now his stock is pretty low and he’s gone somewhere to reboot his career.

Players need to realise that they can’t all play for those clubs and be successful even if they do have the talent to do so. Make your mark somewhere else.
Arrogance is my guess. They all think that they can adapt or fit and their entourage probably tell them that they can too. The reality is that to succeed at Barcelona, you need to play a certain way and be a great sidekick for Messi. At Madrid you need to be one of the toughest player around, because your mental will be tested and you will have to continuously prove your position.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Arrogance is my guess. They all think that they can adapt or fit and their entourage probably tell them that they can too. The reality is that to succeed at Barcelona, you need to play a certain way and be a great sidekick for Messi. At Madrid you need to be one of the toughest player around, because your mental will be tested and you will have to continuously prove your position.
Pogba is a perfect example of this. He will get eaten alive if he went there in this current situation. If he stays here for the rest of his career, as an example, he would go down as an absolute legend here and get a lot more love than he would there if our successes were equal.

It’s not healthy for all players to dream of these two clubs.

JPRouve

Scout
Pogba is a perfect example of this. He will get eaten alive if he went there in this current situation. If he stays here for the rest of his career, as an example, he would go down as an absolute legend here and get a lot more love than he would there if our successes were equal.

It’s not healthy for all players to dream of these two clubs.
Griezmann too, he could have become Atletico all time top scorer and be a real legend for a big spanish club. It's something that will always disappoint me, whatever happens at Barcelona.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Griezmann too, he could have become Atletico all time top scorer and be a real legend for a big spanish club. It's something that will always disappoint me, whatever happens at Barcelona.
Griezmann hasn't really won much worthwhile at Atletico though. It's a bit like saying RvP should've stayed at Arsenal instead of going to Utd and getting a PL medal he otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Lentwood

This is a prime example of why you don't rush to replace players. The Neymar money was basically blown on two players who have contributed very little when in reality, Griezmann is a good replacement and all they had to do was be patient

JPRouve

Scout
Griezmann hasn't really won much worthwhile at Atletico though. It's a bit like saying RvP should've stayed at Arsenal instead of going to Utd and getting a PL medal he otherwise wouldn't have gotten.
Personally I don't think that it's worth it, being a legend for Atletico is bigger than a La Liga title, particularly for a player that already won the biggest trophy in football with the World Cup. From the point of view of football history, Griezmann had a bigger chance to stay up by beating Aragones, now at best he will be a decent sidekick to Messi and at worse he will fail miserably.

Massive Spanner

Personally I don't think that it's worth it, being a legend for Atletico is bigger than a La Liga title, particularly for a player that already won the biggest trophy in football with the World Cup. From the point of view of football history, Griezmann had a bigger chance to stay up by beating Aragones, now at best he will be a decent sidekick to Messi and at worse he will fail miserably.
I'd say you're on your own there mate :D Pretty sure Shearer and Gerrard would've happily traded their legend status for a PL trophy and I highly doubt RvP is regretting his decision to go either.

The world cup is great but I still think for a player of Grizemann's level, to go his entire career in la Liga without winning it would be a serious blight on his career.

Baneofthegame

This is a prime example of why you don't rush to replace players. The Neymar money was basically blown on two players who have contributed very little when in reality, Griezmann is a good replacement and all they had to do was be patient
Yeah, they panic bought so unnecessarily, he hasn’t exactly set la liga alight, Demebele has been injured a lot as well.

JPRouve

Scout
I'd say you're on your own there mate :D Pretty sure Shearer and Gerrard would've happily traded their legend status for a PL trophy and I highly doubt RvP is regretting his decision to go either.
I would say that it's clearly wrong for Gerrard because he could have moved whenever he wanted, every club in Europe would have tried to sign him, he chose not to. And I'm not suggesting to stay for the sake of staying, beating Aragones was an actual achievment worth beating, Atletico have had all time greats as strikers.

And it's also not as if it was impossible to win the league with Atletico.

Massive Spanner

I would say that it's clearly wrong for Gerrard because he could have moved whenever he wanted, every club in Europe would have tried to sign him, he chose not to. And I'm not suggesting to stay for the sake of staying, beating Aragones was an actual achievment worth beating, Atletico have had all time greats as strikers.

And it's also not as if it was impossible to win the league with Atletico.
No it's not but it's much easier to win it with Barca. Atletico may be a big club but they still get their best players taken off them regularly by bigger clubs.

Gerrard, maybe, but I think you're putting too much faith in the idea that players care more about 'legend' status than they do about actual physical trophies and medals they can put in their cabinet and beside their name.

JPRouve

Scout
No it's not but it's much easier to win it with Barca. Atletico may be a big club but they still get their best players taken off them regularly by bigger clubs.

Gerrard, maybe, but I think you're putting too much faith in the idea that players care more about 'legend' status than they do about actual physical trophies and medals they can put in their cabinet and beside their name.
I don't put any faith in it, I stated what I would like to see them do.