Current Players Who Are Good Enough To Stay In The First XI

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
It's August 2022 and 5 transfer windows have passed and Ole has captured all of his top targets and built a truly powerful squad that is capable of making a real challenge on all fronts. Which of the current Utd squad are in the first XI?

You can take into account potential development of a player, but try to be realistic and sensible...Daniel James is never gonna be a Beckham-esq crosser of the ball ect, but he could develop his fist touch and dribbling so they are good-ish.

buckooo1978

being positive about player development

De Gea - AWB are the certs

Maguire - Rashford - Greenwood - Martial - James are very possibly

Williams - Tuanzebe maybe

United58

try to be realistic and sensible...Daniel James is never gonna be a Beckham-esq crosser of the ball ect, but he could develop his fist touch and dribbling so they are good-ish.
You're underrating James a lot here, obviously no-one's on Beckham's level but James has a great cross on him, especially compared to what Valencia and all the others served up over the past few years

IAmAWinner

Maguire, Pogba, Martial. Maybe Rashford and James (if he continues developing) aswell. Wan Bissaka if he has drastically improved his attacking play. De Gea probably way past his best by then.

Untd55

If you are talking about the first-team that is challenging for the title, then it is very few. There is a reason why we are so far off the top four.

Good enough

De Gea - He may not be as good as he was, but he is still one of the best goalkeepers in the league.
Pogba - Clearly, he has the ability. With better players around him in midfield, there is no reason why he would not be good enough.

Potential to be good enough

Wan Bissaka - Defensively-wise he is good enough, but he needs to work on his attacking play. However, I think this will improve with better players ahead of him.
Rashford - He needs to work on his finishing and decision making. He is a very talented player, but he needs to work on this a lot to be good enough.
Martial - He has to have more influence on the game. However, it is harder to tell whether he is good enough as a striker as he has not played there much.
Maguire - The verdict is still out on him for me. He is as good as Smalling defensively, but we have to remember that Smalling was never in the first-team when we were challenging for the PL. He is probably fine, though.

Not good enough
McTominay - Does not have anywhere near the technical ability of a first-team midfielder. People compare him to Fletcher, but Fletcher was always behind technically-superior players in the pecking order (Carrick, Scholes, and Hargreaves).
James - At the moment, I will put him in here. I think he could be a good squad player, but when you compare him to our past attackers it does not even come close. Consider that Nani and Giggs used to be our second-choice wingers.
Fred - Although, I actually think he will have more impact on a better team than McTominay. His passing and on-the-ball ability are superior, which is vital to a title-challenging team. However, he is prone to mistakes.
Lindelof - I do not think he is good enough. His on-the-ball play is good, but his defending is pretty average, which is not good enough for title challengers.
Shaw - I like Shaw, but the guy is injured far too often to be relied upon. I would say he could be a good squad option, but not with that injury record. He is good at defending and does have a good pass, but we need someone who will actually play.

Question Marks - Not seen enough to say either way
Greenwood
Williams
Gomes
Garner

Everyone else you can assume is not good enough.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Taking development into account over 2 and a half years...

DDG/Henderson - Don't see us buying anyone here, either DDG stays at a level that would be good enough, or Henderson takes over.

AWB - He's so good defensively that it wouldn't matter if he doesn't progress too much offensively, he'd work in a title challenging side.

Maguire - Yet to settle in properly at United, but the quality is there to see.

Mctominay - The development he's shown over the last 18 months makes it hard to put a ceiling on him. With his drive and determination he could become a world class central midfielder.

Pogba - Only depends on if he stays or not.

Rashford - If he improves his finishing and consistency the sky is the limit.

Martial - Only his quiet spells in games prevent him from taking the next step.

Obviously that's the positive outlook on players development, and not all of them would progress as we'd hope. We'd have some really good squad options in the youth coming through if they all developed well as well. James, Greenwood, Garner, Williams, Tuanzabe, could all go on to be at any level at the moment it's just too hard to tell.

Andersonson

I think this would make it:

Dea Gea - Class. One of the best in the world.

AWB - Good enough. A very good defender already, can only get better in attack.
Maguire - Good enough. Very good on the ball, and is used to a high-line.

Pogba - Has the quality, unsure of the mentality.
Scott - Potential. I think atleast he will be a good rotation option.
James - Unsure, raw talent, but need more than just pace. But sky is the limit.
Rashford - Will develop even more, will become vital for us. Still a very young attacker.

People will argue the inclusion, but I think not:
Martial
Shaw
Fred
Lindelof
Tuanzebe

Should be sold long before 22:
Bailly
Rojo
Andreas
Lingard

Steven-UK

Good enough:

De Gea - I think he is on the decline, we over-paid for his contract, but still a class keeper.
Maguire - Solid, and composed, shame he hs no pace though.
James
- Plays for the shirt like his life depends on it - exactly what we want to see - absolute steal of a buy.
Wan Bissaka
- Brilliant defensively, and I actually think he is pretty decent going forward.

Not good enough: But I mention them because others somehow think they are when we beat a crap team:

Rashford -
His decision making is absolutely woeful most of the time (I doubt he ever will be good enough, needs 5/6 chances to score one).
Martial - Just nowhere near consistent enough, and vanishes in some games.
Pogba - Show Pony who is wasting his talent and career - the talent is there somewhere, but it just won't happen unless handed to him on a plate (should be sold asap).

Possibles:

Mctominay -
plays for the shirt, not great ability, but provides some steel.
Greenwood - Keep him and develop him, obvious striking talent there.
Williams - Lively, and aggressive, keep him and develop him.
Lindelof - Some games he is excellent, but needs to improve some of his decision-making (not sure that will happen consistently though)

The rest: If we have any aspirations of winning the league again, get rid, they are just poor squad-fodder (or far too injury prone) and should be nowhere near a Manchester United shirt. Far too many players at this club stealing a living.

Mcking

Maguire - You won't find many CB's who are much better.
Pogba - You won't find many midfielders who are much more talented.
Rashford - On current form, he is more than good enough and I could see him developing into one of the best in the world.
Martial - He has the talent, and I'm not sure we could do much better. He needs to be scoring more to be certain though.
The other players are all upgradeable.

el3mel

De Gea and AWB.

The jury is still on many and that includes Maguire.

Mcking

Good enough:

De Gea - I think he is on the decline, we over-paid for his contract, but still a class keeper.
James
- Plays for the shirt like his life depends on it - exactly what we want to see - absolute steal of a buy.
Wan Bissaka
- Brilliant defensively, and I actually think he is pretty decent going forward.

Not good enough: But I mention them because others somehow think they are when we beat a crap team:

Rashford -
His decision making is absolutely woeful most of the time (I doubt he ever will be good enough, needs 5/6 chances to score one).
Pogba - Show Pony who is wasting his talent and career - the talent is there somewhere, but it just won't happen unless handed to him on a plate (should be sold asap).

Possibles:

Mctominay -
Lindelof - Some games he is excellent, but needs to improve some of his decision-making (not sure that will happen consistently though)

The rest: If we have any aspirations of winning the league again, get rid, they are just poor squad-fodder (or far too injury prone) and should be nowhere near a Manchester United shirt. Far too many players at this club stealing a living.
New player bias.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Honestly I can only see Pogba being a world class player in 2022. Wan-Bissaka might become one of the current lot if he develops a bit more.

There are a fair few who would have the potential to make a squad, but not the first eleven in my opinion unless they suddenly improve massively.

Steven-UK

New player bias.
I can see how you could see that, but based on performances so far, and the same old problems with previous players from years gone by. Plus the fact, these new players would, imo, definitely be Ferguson purchases back in the day.

fps

Rashford is so underrated. Goodness me, what he's accomplished at his age and the potential he's shown, shocking how low he's rated by so many.

Mcking

I can see how you could see that, but based on performances so far, and the same old problems with previous players from years gone by. Plus the fact, these new players would, imo, definitely be Ferguson purchases back in the day.
Rashford and James play in the same team, and I'd say it is obvious which one is better. They are the same age too, so I don't know how anyone would say that James is good enough for the long term, while Rashford isn't.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Between a starting and backup 11 for the next few years for what could make a title challenging squad:
De Gea
AWB ???? Maguire ????
???? ???? Pogba
???? Martial Rashford

Romero/henderson
Dalot Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
McTominay Fred Lingard
Greenwood ???? James​

Obviously development of players has a big role. Gomes could develop and come in for Lingard or the starting 11, Greenwood probably will develop a lot and get into the starting 11, James could become an automatic pick for a top side, etc. We have a lot of players who are fine in the squad but lack the starters really, but 6 of them currently would probably be fine for challenging teams with better players around them and a better system.

francobaresi

It's August 2022 and 5 transfer windows have passed and Ole has captured all of his top targets and built a truly powerful squad that is capable of making a real challenge on all fronts. Which of the current Utd squad are in the first XI?

You can take into account potential development of a player, but try to be realistic and sensible...Daniel James is never gonna be a Beckham-esq crosser of the ball ect, but he could develop his fist touch and dribbling so they are good-ish.
De Gea
Wan Bissaka
Martial

SER19

Certainly should be good enough to be part of an ideally challenging team in 2 years

De Gea
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Rashford

Could very likely be good enough depending on injuries and progress

James
Martial
Tuanzebe
Mctominay

Hopefully part of a successful squad

Greenwood
Williams

Overall there's plenty to be optimistic about in terms of how squad repair is going. First manager post fergie to claim this I think

(I no longer see pogba as a United player when having any discussion about the future)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Assume all the current players stays

De Gea, AWB, Pogba, Rashford, Maguire will be in the first XI

Martial, James, Mctominay will depends on whether we will buy more players (ie Sancho, Haaland, Tonali)

Greenwood and Williams looks possible too, but depends on their development.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De gea and Pogba for sure.
Martial, AWB probably.
Rashford, Lindelof and Maguire can be upgraded but with only few players in the world who would cost 100+ mil so they are good enough to stay in first 11 and they can be even better, especially Rashford.

So 7 for me. Left back, 2 mc and right winger we need to buy.

Jonno

/
Who said he was signed to emulate David Beckham’s skillset? He’s a completely different type of player to Beckham, this is a really weird comparison to make.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good enough:

James
Wan Bissaka

Rashford -

Possibles:

Mctominay -

Rshford, Pogba and Martial divide opinion but definitely not good enough while Lindelof is a possible?

Crashoutcassius

We probably have a potential strong first 11 in the team, but with a lot of players that have to keep developing, when they won't all

ddg
awb tuanzebe maguire willams
mctom pogba
james gomes rashford
martial

as I say, 8 of them need to fully develop, with mctominay and martial needing to show consistency, others needing to go up a level and the others are very young

Alabaster Codify7

It depends on our 'ambition'.

If we want to challenge the top clubs for the title eventually, or at the very least be a top 2-3 team:

DDG, AWB, Maguire, Pogba (he's off though), Rashford, Martial.

If we are content calling a top 6 finish 'a success', then:

DDG, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, McTominay, Rashford, Martial, James.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
You're underrating James a lot here, obviously no-one's on Beckham's level but James has a great cross on him, especially compared to what Valencia and all the others served up over the past few years
I'm not underrating him, I just used him as an example in how improvement should be realistic. For what it's worth, I like James and he's been a breath of fresh air. Can he go on to become an integral part of a Champions League winning side? I honestly don't think he'd be an essential part of that first XI however, he'd be a great squad player.
No Martial or James is a bit odd
I'm not sure what planet you're on to be honest.
Lets see the players you think are good enough. Nothing wrong with challenging another post, but at least have the decency to put your opinions out there to be challenged too.
If you are talking about the first-team that is challenging for the title, then it is very few. There is a reason why we are so far off the top four.

Good enough

De Gea - He may not be as good as he was, but he is still one of the best goalkeepers in the league.
Pogba - Clearly, he has the ability. With better players around him in midfield, there is no reason why he would not be good enough.

Potential to be good enough

Wan Bissaka - Defensively-wise he is good enough, but he needs to work on his attacking play. However, I think this will improve with better players ahead of him.
Rashford - He needs to work on his finishing and decision making. He is a very talented player, but he needs to work on this a lot to be good enough.
Martial - He has to have more influence on the game. However, it is harder to tell whether he is good enough as a striker as he has not played there much.
Maguire - The verdict is still out on him for me. He is as good as Smalling defensively, but we have to remember that Smalling was never in the first-team when we were challenging for the PL. He is probably fine, though.

Not good enough
McTominay - Does not have anywhere near the technical ability of a first-team midfielder. People compare him to Fletcher, but Fletcher was always behind technically-superior players in the pecking order (Carrick, Scholes, and Hargreaves).
James - At the moment, I will put him in here. I think he could be a good squad player, but when you compare him to our past attackers it does not even come close. Consider that Nani and Giggs used to be our second-choice wingers.
Fred - Although, I actually think he will have more impact on a better team than McTominay. His passing and on-the-ball ability are superior, which is vital to a title-challenging team. However, he is prone to mistakes.
Lindelof - I do not think he is good enough. His on-the-ball play is good, but his defending is pretty average, which is not good enough for title challengers.
Shaw - I like Shaw, but the guy is injured far too often to be relied upon. I would say he could be a good squad option, but not with that injury record. He is good at defending and does have a good pass, but we need someone who will actually play.

Question Marks - Not seen enough to say either way
Greenwood
Williams
Gomes
Garner

Everyone else you can assume is not good enough.
Great post sir!

Taking development into account over 2 and a half years...

DDG/Henderson - Don't see us buying anyone here, either DDG stays at a level that would be good enough, or Henderson takes over.

AWB - He's so good defensively that it wouldn't matter if he doesn't progress too much offensively, he'd work in a title challenging side.

Maguire - Yet to settle in properly at United, but the quality is there to see.

Mctominay - The development he's shown over the last 18 months makes it hard to put a ceiling on him. With his drive and determination he could become a world class central midfielder.

Pogba - Only depends on if he stays or not.

Rashford - If he improves his finishing and consistency the sky is the limit.

Martial - Only his quiet spells in games prevent him from taking the next step.

Obviously that's the positive outlook on players development, and not all of them would progress as we'd hope. We'd have some really good squad options in the youth coming through if they all developed well as well. James, Greenwood, Garner, Williams, Tuanzabe, could all go on to be at any level at the moment it's just too hard to tell.
I think this would make it:

Dea Gea - Class. One of the best in the world.

AWB - Good enough. A very good defender already, can only get better in attack.
Maguire - Good enough. Very good on the ball, and is used to a high-line.

Pogba - Has the quality, unsure of the mentality.
Scott - Potential. I think atleast he will be a good rotation option.
James - Unsure, raw talent, but need more than just pace. But sky is the limit.
Rashford - Will develop even more, will become vital for us. Still a very young attacker.

People will argue the inclusion, but I think not:
Martial
Shaw
Fred
Lindelof
Tuanzebe

Should be sold long before 22:
Bailly
Rojo
Andreas
Lingard
Good enough:

James
Wan Bissaka

Rashford -

Possibles:

Mctominay -

Good posts lads.
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire X X
X
X Pogba
James Martial Rashford​
Do you think that front 3 will improve enough to genuinely have the guile to break down a top top champions league contenders defence?
Honestly I can only see Pogba being a world class player in 2022. Wan-Bissaka might become one of the current lot if he develops a bit more.

There are a fair few who would have the potential to make a squad, but not the first eleven in my opinion unless they suddenly improve massively.
Between a starting and backup 11 for the next few years for what could make a title challenging squad:
De Gea
AWB ???? Maguire ????
???? ???? Pogba
???? Martial Rashford

Romero/henderson
Dalot Lindelof Tuanzebe Shaw
McTominay Fred Lingard
Greenwood ???? James​

Obviously development of players has a big role. Gomes could develop and come in for Lingard or the starting 11, Greenwood probably will develop a lot and get into the starting 11, James could become an automatic pick for a top side, etc. We have a lot of players who are fine in the squad but lack the starters really, but 6 of them currently would probably be fine for challenging teams with better players around them and a better system.
As far apart as these two post are, I kinda agree with both! :lol: I think somewhere in the middle is about right. Overall I reckon there is a very good basis for a very good squad. But it needs a few world class players for the first team. Doesn't need to be 11 world class players, but the spine needs to be.
Certainly should be good enough to be part of an ideally challenging team in 2 years

De Gea
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Rashford

Could very likely be good enough depending on injuries and progress

James
Martial
Tuanzebe
Mctominay

Hopefully part of a successful squad

Greenwood
Williams

Overall there's plenty to be optimistic about in terms of how squad repair is going. First manager post fergie to claim this I think

(I no longer see pogba as a United player when having any discussion about the future)
Can't argue with that. Totally agree that the squad is starting to look like being fixed, just finding those top quality player for the first team.

/
Who said he was signed to emulate David Beckham’s skillset? He’s a completely different type of player to Beckham, this is a really weird comparison to make.
I'm not comparing him to Beckham, it was just an example of how a player can realistically improve. What's weird is that you felt the need to come onto the thread just to try starting an argument instead of contributing constructively. Which players do you think have what it takes?
The disrespect shown to Dan James from some people on here is infuriating.
I like Daniel James as previously mentioned, but can't see any disrespect for him. Where is that?
It depends on our 'ambition'.

If we want to challenge the top clubs for the title eventually, or at the very least be a top 2-3 team:

DDG, AWB, Maguire, Pogba (he's off though), Rashford, Martial.

If we are content calling a top 6 finish 'a success', then:

DDG, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Pogba, McTominay, Rashford, Martial, James.
The ambition is to be the very best and win the quadruple....but being a true and genuine title challenger is good for now too. Not a Tottenham type of title challenge, but a proper challenge.

hobbers

De Gea, AWB, Maguire certainly.
One or two out of James, Rashford and Martial (but definitely not all 3 together).
Possibly McTominay and Tuanzebe.

Pogba will be long gone.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Do you think that front 3 will improve enough to genuinely have the guile to break down a top top champions league contenders defence?
On my post, I guess I agree that I am relying on a lot of internal progression. I just feel that there is genuine talent in those 3 players and they've shown so much already with a poor support of midfield. I think once we are to improve the supporting cast we could see another level.

I think a lot more is to come from Rashford, Martial and James. Perhaps naive and I wouldn't be against competition but they are all showing they are good enough to start.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Overall it seems everything seems to be heading in the right direction with the basis of a very strong squad forming. I'd argue that the majority of this current first XI are good enough to be in the squad, but to get back to the top the most certainly needs to be some real quality brought in. Doesn't need to be a world class player in every position, but still,
On my post, I guess I agree that I am relying on a lot of internal progression. I just feel that there is genuine talent in those 3 players and they've shown so much already with a poor support of midfield. I think once we are to improve the supporting cast we could see another level.

I think a lot more is to come from Rashford, Martial and James. Perhaps naive and I wouldn't be against competition but they are all showing they are good enough to start.
Yeah, I agree with that for the most part, in this thread I am assuming that the consistency and mentality (especially for Martial) doesn't become an issue as they mature. I have my doubts about James' technical abilities against the top sides, but I guess it's good to have something a little different as he can be very effective stretching a defence.

eltigreFalcao

Current players who are on a challenging side level:
De Gea, Maguire, Pogba, Martial, Greenwood

Players with quality enough to be part of a challenging side, but need to step up soon:
Rashford, McTomminay, Shaw, Fred

Big shout out to the youngest ones, I truly believe the likes of:
Tuanzebe, Henderson, Gomes, Greenwood (again), AWB, Garner, James
can make a hell of a footballing career. Im one of those who think we've got a generation of young one's who can become a spine of a succesful team with Manchester United's standards.

The rest:
Hopefuls but might see the end of their paths soon enough:
Lindelof, Bailly (yes, still believing), Dalot, Pereira (yes)

Long gone:
Matic, Mata, Romero, Jones, Rojo, Young, Lingard, Chong, Alexis (should we even throw him in the mix?), TFM

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Current players who are on a challenging side level:
De Gea, Maguire, Pogba, Martial, Greenwood

Players with quality enough to be part of a challenging side, but need to step up soon:
Rashford, McTomminay, Shaw, Fred

Big shout out to the youngest ones, I truly believe the likes of:
Tuanzebe, Henderson, Gomes, Greenwood (again), AWB, Garner, James
can make a hell of a footballing career. Im one of those who think we've got a generation of young one's who can become a spine of a succesful team with Manchester United's standards.

The rest:
Hopefuls but might see the end of their paths soon enough:
Lindelof, Bailly (yes, still believing), Dalot, Pereira (yes)

Long gone:
Matic, Mata, Romero, Jones, Rojo, Young, Lingard, Chong, Alexis (should we even throw him in the mix?), TFM
So Greenwood is currently better than Rashford and James?