Current starting line up

Grande

... based on merit and likely formation.

We have played four out of four halves in 4-2-3-1, and Solskjær said today he may change formation compared to when Herrera was playing (which was 4-3-3). Form and club changes will occur before the season start, but, assuming a 4-2-3-1 line up, who deserves the starting places as per now?

De Gea has neither played nor signed a contract yet, and his latest round of form was not his best, but still, Romero is not close to surpassing him even though he’s been steady as usual in preseason.

Wan-Bissaka has hit the ground lunging and is already a clear first choice. As is Shaw. The CB’s have hardky been tested so far, but if Lindelöf-Smalling was the preferred pairing last season, Bailly, Jones or Tuanzebe haven’t changed that picture.

Pogba/McTominay have been tried and done well in a new pivot so far. If Solskjær want’s Pogba that far back, I understand why, because Matic is to slow/old to cover for him, Pereira not good enough defensively, and Fred isn’t here yet. Based on Fred’s two/three best halves last season, I’m guessing him or McTominay is forst in line to start in a midfield with Pogba.

Rashford seems a clear number one up top, and has only reinforced his position with vigilant displays and two goals in 90 minutes. As no 10 we have seen Mata, Lingard and Gomes, no stand-out candidate there, and to be honest, Gomes to me showed the most in that position so far. Samchez will be a candidate later, but he isn’t nailed on to take it. I reckon Gomes has a fair shot at it, and is my preferred choice on current form.

Wings have seen James, Greenwood, Chong, Lingard and Sanchez. Lingard is the one amongste them that the others need to oust from last seasons line up, but it shouldn’t be impossible. Noone has been fantastic and no one dire, but after two games I rank them Greenwood, James, Chong, Sanchez, Lingard on performances in that position. In addition, I guess Martial will be a clear candidate for the lef position as it stands. If we played an important game today, I would therefore place Greenwood in the starting line up on the right side, giving:

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Smalling Lindelöf Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes Martial
Rashford

Now, I don’t expect this to be the starting line up when the PL kicks of, but it’s interesting to see that the players doing well under the ‘new start’, all attacking players were at the club as U18 players, and four out of the back five were here as U21s. It’s also interesting that many of the most entertaining players at the club seem to do benefit of the regime. For a long while now, I’ve felt it was almost always the workhorses who performed and the tricksters who flattered to deceive. Is it a trend? Don’t know, but hope so!

SteveW

... based on merit and likely formation.

We have played four out of four halves in 4-2-3-1, and Solskjær said today he may change formation compared to when Herrera was playing (which was 4-3-3). Form and club changes will occur before the season start, but, assuming a 4-2-3-1 line up, who deserves the starting places as per now?

De Gea has neither played nor signed a contract yet, and his latest round of form was not his best, but still, Romero is not close to surpassing him even though he’s been steady as usual in preseason.

Wan-Bissaka has hit the ground lunging and is already a clear first choice. As is Shaw. The CB’s have hardky been tested so far, but if Lindelöf-Smalling was the preferred pairing last season, Bailly, Jones or Tuanzebe haven’t changed that picture.

Pogba/McTominay have been tried and done well in a new pivot so far. If Solskjær want’s Pogba that far back, I understand why, because Matic is to slow/old to cover for him, Pereira not good enough defensively, and Fred isn’t here yet. Based on Fred’s two/three best halves last season, I’m guessing him or McTominay is forst in line to start in a midfield with Pogba.

Rashford seems a clear number one up top, and has only reinforced his position with vigilant displays and two goals in 90 minutes. As no 10 we have seen Mata, Lingard and Gomes, no stand-out candidate there, and to be honest, Gomes to me showed the most in that position so far. Samchez will be a candidate later, but he isn’t nailed on to take it. I reckon Gomes has a fair shot at it, and is my preferred choice on current form.

Wings have seen James, Greenwood, Chong, Lingard and Sanchez. Lingard is the one amongste them that the others need to oust from last seasons line up, but it shouldn’t be impossible. Noone has been fantastic and no one dire, but after two games I rank them Greenwood, James, Chong, Sanchez, Lingard on performances in that position. In addition, I guess Martial will be a clear candidate for the lef position as it stands. If we played an important game today, I would therefore place Greenwood in the starting line up on the right side, giving:

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes Martial
Rashford

Now, I don’t expect this to be the starting line up when the PL kicks of, but it’s interesting to see that the players doing well under the ‘new start’, all attacking players were at the club as U18 players, and four out of the back five were here as U21s. It’s also interesting that many of the most entertaining players at the club seem to do benefit of the regime. For a long while now, I’ve felt it was almost always the workhorses who performed and the tricksters who flattered to deceive. Is it a trend? Don’t know, but hope so!
That's a team I'd enjoy watching.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That would be my team for next season if things don't change

GK: DDG

RB: AWB
DC: Smalling
DC: Lindelof
LW: Shaw

DM: Matic
B3B: Mctominay
AMC: Pogba

RW: James/Greenwood
LW: Martial

STK: Rashy

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Personally I'd pick:

De Gea
AWB Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes James
Rashford

But I know there's no chance of that. I expect Matic, Lingard or Martial in at least, maybe Mata too.

Realistic XI:

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Lingard Martial
Rashford

Web of Bissaka

The first half vs Leeds seems to be it, just replace Romero with De Gea, Rojo with Shaw. The latter two aren't fit at that time, which Ole seems to regret in interviews.

Rashford
James - Mata(C) - Greenwood
McTominay - Pogba
Shaw - Lindelof - Bailly - AWB
De Gea​
Let's see the Inter Milan game.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
Mctominay, Matic, Pogba
Greenwood Rashford James

If we don't get Maguire I'd give Tuanzebe a go. We're not convinced by the rest, let's try someone else.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The first half vs Leeds seems to be it, just replace Romero with De Gea, Rojo with Shaw. The latter two aren't fit at that time, which Ole seems to regret in interviews.

Rashford
James - Mata(C) - Greenwood
McTominay - Pogba
Shaw - Lindelof - Bailly - AWB
De Gea​
Let's see the Inter Milan game.
If we're starting games with Mata next season we're in big trouble.

DoomSlayer

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes Martial
Rashford
This, but with Bailly instead of Smalling, if he is fit enough that is. Not sure Gomes is ready for the PL but he should be given a chance this season, the lad is absolute quality.

James can also be rotated with Greenwood on the right, both can provide different skillset for the position.

Bobski

Is Pogba going to commit to the defensive work that playing in a 4-2-3-1 demands of of the 2 deeper midfielders?

DoomSlayer

Is Pogba going to commit to the defensive work that playing in a 4-2-3-1 demands of of the 2 deeper midfielders?
Maybe we should play him as the right-side CM so AWB can cover for him.

Hopefully playing a pressing style of football gives more motivation to Pogba to be a bit more disciplined like he has shown with France.

Canagel

No. He's only there because Ole realises we don't have anyone capable to bring the ball out from the back. If we get CB and midfielder he should return to his normal advanced position behind the front three/two depending on which formation.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I find it amazing that McTominay is now considered a certain first teamer on the back of just a few good games at the end of the season. I still think Matic and Fred are better players but they both need a good preseason.

If everyone is fully fit (they won't be, Sanchez has a hamstring pull) I think our highest quality line-up is probably:

De Gea

Wan-Bissaka
Lindelof
Smalling
Shaw

Matic
Fred
Pogba

Sanchez
Martial
Rashford

Bench: Greenwood, James, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Romero, Bailly, Dalot

But as Sanchez is not fit and because he has been a bit shite for us so far I would hope to see James or Greenwood given a chance. Which depends on preseason. I guess same for the Matic or McTominay choice and maybe also the Fred or Pereira choice though Fred was showing some signs of turning up last year so seems more likely.

The team is probably not good enough tbh especially defensively... and I would love to see us change the squad a bit and preferably wave goodbye to the likes of Darmian, Rojo etc.

LJJT

We badly need two or three more signings these starting line up predictions are very depressing so far! Add Maguire, Bruno and one more and I will feel a lot more positive

3KDré

What I think we will see:
DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Jones-Shaw
McTominay
Pereira-Pogba
James Rashford Martial​
What I think it should be:
DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-Shaw
McTominay
Pereira Pogba
Greenwood-Rashford-James
Martial is a hard player to leave out based on how good he COULD be or how well he CAN play, but he doesn't really live up to that. James' pace is frightening and Greenwood can interchange with Rashford so well and is quite unpredictable because of how two footed he is. Tuanzebe I genuinely think should start for us if we want to be better at dominating the ball.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Of course he isn't. Just watch the Leeds game and there are several times where he didn't even bother to move to get back.

In the first proper game we'll get absolutely played off the park playing that midfield pairing.

billybee99

Christ we are fecked. These line-ups I'm seeing here will struggle to geta Europa League spot

worldinmotion66

It's depressing that people are still putting Matic in our first eleven. I know this is very unlikely at the moment given that we've signed a winger already, but I'd like to see some kind of version of this:

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Jones
Dalot ---------- Pereira ---------- Shaw
Lingard - Pogba

Martial ------
--------- Rashford
  • Pereira can interchange with McTominay.
  • AWB can take Dalot's place and any number of centre backs can come in.
  • It gives a lot more protection and frees Lindelof to step out with the ball.
  • It gives Rashford more support up top and we can give Greenwood and Sanchez opportunities as a centre forward too.
  • Lingard and Pogba can both play box to box with extra defensive cover (as the former did with England alongside Dele Alli).
  • Pereira can also play the Lingard role.
Realistically though, I hope we would go with:

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Jones - Shaw
McTominay
Pereira - Pogba

Greenwood - Rashford - Martial​

Utdfanabroad

I'd go for

GK - De Gea

RB - Wan Bissaka
CB - Lindelof
CB - Smalling (Maguire if he signs)
LB - Shaw

MF - McTominay
MF - Pogba
MF - Fred

LWF - Martial
RWF - James
CF - Rashford

NoPace

What I think we will see:
DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Jones-Shaw
McTominay
Pereira-Pogba
James Rashford Martial​
What I think it should be:
DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Tuanzebe-Shaw
McTominay
Pereira Pogba
Greenwood-Rashford-James
Martial is a hard player to leave out based on how good he COULD be or how well he CAN play, but he doesn't really live up to that. James' pace is frightening and Greenwood can interchange with Rashford so well and is quite unpredictable because of how two footed he is. Tuanzebe I genuinely think should start for us if we want to be better at dominating the ball.
This is where I'm at. We really need a CB, a CM and an RW signed in the next month if we want to edge Arsenal and Chelsea for 4th this year.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I love it. However not in a million years are we going to get anywhere with Pogba in a midfield 2.

DDG
AWB - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
McTominay
Fred Pogba
Greenwood Rashford James
Fred will do the dirty work for Pogba. Pogba is free to play in his preferred left wing/#10/box-box role with a little bit less defensive responsibility. Just the way he likes it. Fred will still provide the creative spark once in a while.
Why Fred not Perreira? Perreira is a liability in defensive transitions. Clueless positioning. Clueless tackling. Horrible decision making in high-risk possessions. Literally, the worst player to put next to a risky Pogba. He's got a great shot, great corner, and fancy footwork at times. Good to bring on if we're really chasing a goal.

To put it into perspective - Herrera had the highest tackles per game and interceptions for us last season (2.5 and 1.7 respectively, per game) and Fred was 6th with 1.7 & 0.9. Perreira had 0.5 & 0.7. With Herrera gone we have an absolutely gaping hole in defensive duties. Fred gives us a lot more than Perreira does in that department.
Side note - Matic's defensive numbers are marginally better than Fred in these categories. I am not going to have his 12 point turns in midfield this season though.

James will be more consistent than Martial. However, if Martial ever decides to pull his thumb out he is easily the best forward player on our team. He will keep James on the bench - which is great for us to bring on vs tired legs.

No one. I mean absolutely no one should be able to take the RW spot from Greenwood this season. Yes, he is that good. Rotate that role with Lingard (unfortunately) or Mata.

Matic, Sanchez, and Young continue to play out of retirement. Reserved for charity match appearances.

Rashford is getting 30 goals this season.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Have there been any actual signs that Ole is going to drop Matic?

OohAahMartial

Personally I'd pick:

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Gomes James
Rashford

But I know there's no chance of that. I expect Matic, Lingard or Martial in at least, maybe Mata too.

Realistic XI:

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Lingard Martial
Rashford
I would go with the first team, except Romero for De Gea until he signs his contract and gets match fit.

Greenwood Gomes James has so far merited being ahead of their seniors.

red4ever 79

Ole will stick with all of the old favouties. That I have no doubt. I have seen young kids get an opportunity on pre season before only to then disapear/ be loaned out.

I have no doubt our startling line up for Chelsea will be something like this
De Gea
Matic McTomminay Pogba
Lingard Rashford Martial

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Christ we are fecked. These line-ups I'm seeing here will struggle to geta Europa League spot
It's not for nothing that the manager is talking openly about a multi-year rebuild.

Our saving grace this year is that Arsenal and Chelsea have their own problems.

Lee565

We still dont have any decent wingers so it seems going with such a formation handicaps us.

Attack
---------------ddg
-------awb--lindelof--smalling
---------------------fred-----
Dalot--mctominay----Pogba---shaw
-----------rashford---martial

Defend
----------------------ddg
Awb---lindelof---smalling--shaw
Dalot-----mctominay---fred--pogba
------------rashford---martial

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Realistically I would us expect us to line up like this against Chelsea:

DDG
AWB - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
McTominay - Matic - Pogba
???? - Rashford - Martial
I think RW is open for Greenwood if he shows enough form, otherwise Lingard.

As the season progresses, who knows? I would say Fred or Perreira would be next most likely to force their way into the team but probably instead of McTominay rather than Matic. The other kids (Gomes and James particularly) will have to show something pretty fantastic to earn a first team spot.

Andy_Cole

—————DDG—————-
Young-Jones-Smalling-Rojo
————-Matic—————-
——————Pogba————
——-Lingard———————
Mata——-Lukaku——Sanchez

::sonny::

DC: Bailly

RW: Lingard
LW: James

4~6th place (if anyone gets injured, and all performs at 100%)

*year after year the squad is getting weaker and weaker, next year will be 7~9th place

Last edited:

hobbers

DDG
AWB - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw
McTominay
Mata/Fred - Pogba
James - Rashford - Martial
I don't care who we sign or who we don't sign. Young, Jones, Matic and Lingard wouldn't even make it on the bench if i were manager.

Grande

Of course he isn't. Just watch the Leeds game and there are several times where he didn't even bother to move to get back.

In the first proper game we'll get absolutely played off the park playing that midfield pairing.
Maybe, and maybe not. I thought Pereira had more trouble getting back, despite an otherwise decent game. Thing is, Pogba in a pivot is less vulnerable if w
Press from the front and the wide attackers are quick to press, like we have seen so far. Pogba is good at covering his ground, he just can’t take any defensive responsibility for a greater part of the pitch. It could backgire, but I think he looks less disastrous than he has done many times in a midfield three even, when the press in front and on the sides haven’t been as consistent.

Grande

DC: Bailly

RW: Lingard
LW: James

4~6th place (if anyone gets injured, and all performs at 100%)

*year after year the squad is getting weaker and weaker, next year will be 7~9th place
Given that that is an extremely young first 11, do you really find it likely that they will deteriorate rather than improve the season after next? Or are you just enjoying your rightful glass of pessimism?

Walters_19_MuFc

The best players don't always create the best balance, and because of that, if we're sticking to the 4231 that Ole has played twice now, I'd go with:

Martial
Rashford Lingard Greenwood
McTominay Pogba
Shaw Jones Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Last edited:

Allas8

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw
Pogba - Fred
Greenwood - Gomes - James
Rashford

Our best lineup. Who knows if Bailly will be able to stay fit, McTominay might get picked over Fred, and we still don't know if Gomes is good enough, so should probably put Mata there instead.

slored1

DDG
Wan-Bissaka - Lindelof - Smalling - Shaw
McTominay - Pogba
Greenwood - Pereira - Martial
Rashford

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
First XI looks ready to challenge for 6th with Everton and Leicester.