Current starting line up

Raw

-------------De Gea----------
AWB---Maguire-----Lindelof----Shaw
---------------McTominay
---------Andreas(Dybala)----Pogba
James----------Rashford-------Martial (could change if not consistent)
That midfield would get twatted if it was Pogba and Dybala!

Zlatattack

So I think our strongest team is;

DDG
AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
McTominay Matic Pogba
Greenwood Rashford Martial​

If we sign Dybala and Fernandes then it'll be;

DDG
McTominay
Fernandes Pogba
Dybala
Rashford Martial​

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That midfield would get twatted if it was Pogba and Dybala!
You do realize that with AWB and Maguire our defense just improved 50%. Against most teams there will be no reason to play 2 DMs.

Fiasco

So I think our strongest team is;

DDG
McTominay Matic Pogba
Greenwood Rashford Martial​

If we sign Dybala and Fernandes then it'll be;

DDG
McTominay
Fernandes Pogba
Dybala
Rashford Martial​
:drool::drool::drool: What a attacking line up

Inter Yer Nan

Dave

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Matic
McTominay
Pogba

Lingard
Martial
Rashford

I think this is what it would be off current players. Hoping we can get in Dybala and Bruno so we can bin off Lingard and have someone of extra quality in the middle. Matic really needs upgrading and I think though not McT's ideal position currently he'll be starting as DM in the latter stages of the season out of necessity and I think Martial likely loses his place too.

Inter Yer Nan

I do like our additions so far. James could be a major weapon off of the bench and/or in open games. AWB is a quality RB and it means no more Young so that's like two new players. Maguirre immediately improves us and gives us a dominating central defender.

reddevil702

Will be interesting to see what Ole has planned if we do end up with Dybala and Bruno. I’d imagine we switch to a diamond and play Rashford & Martial up top.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
De Gea,
Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw
McTominay, Matic, Pogba
Lingard, Rashford, Martial

Romero
Dalot, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Young
Pereira, Fred
James, Mata, Sanchez
Lukaku

hollywoodpass

If we sign Dybala:

DDG
McTominay Matic
Pogba
Dybala Rashford Martial​

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
4231 based on pre season

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Pogba
Greenwood Dybala James
Martial/Rashford

OR

False 9 formation/diamond

DDG
McTominay Fred Pogba
———-Dybala————
Rashford/Greenwood - Martial

keener

I do love Juan Mata, and he loves United... but I don't like the 4312 we play to fit him into the lineup. 2 strikers with Martial doesn't flow well. When the midfielders get the ball, Martial doesn't make diagonal runs to open the field with width... Notice how the attack stalls and we go backwards when Andres got the ball today because Martial would stand waiting on the ball instead of making a run to stretch the defense and make them move and react to movement. It's not really Mata's fault... i fault Martial and felt Greenwood would've done better. That formation just didn't flow... AND Fred and Matic don't look the part of a dependable holding mid.

Playing out of the back, remember City had a tough time adapting to Pep's system... and passing it around in our own box with Fred is a recipe for disaster. We have talent... and will need to work some things out early. I'm hoping Greenwood and Gomes find the pitch more often than not. AND I'd like a surprise push for a true and proper top class holding mid to compliment Pogba and Mctominay in the midfield.

ThinkTank@Cafe

..............De Gea

AWB.....Lindelöf...Maguire.....Shaw

.........McT.................Pogba
.............B.Fernandes
James......................Rashford

............Martial/Dybala

Alemar

De Gea

Bissaka
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw

McTominay
Pogba

Greenwood
Dybala
Rashford

Martial

SamVimes

De Gea

Bissaka
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Pogba
McTominey
Matic

Lingard
Rashford
Martial

Ole playing safe and not trying to lose.

Hamadovich86

DDG

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Matic (ugh)
Pogba

Lingard (ugh)
James
Martial

Rashford

Matic and Lingard need to be replaced badly, James has a lot to prove but hopefully he works out. Greenwood is far to young to be a starter in any position not because hes not good enough but he has to be protected. I reckon he will start in the EL and cup ties.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Assuming no more signings, I expect to see us lined up like this against Chelsea:

-------------------De Gea---------------
AWB-----Lindeloff------Maguire---Shaw
---------McTominay-----Pogba----------
James------------Lingard-----Martial/Rashford
----------------Martial/Rashford-------------

Not sure who will lead the line. I can see them taking turns through out the match. I also won't be surprised to see Matic start ahead of McTominay, I just hope he doesn't...

MalcolmTucker

Assuming no more signings, I expect to see us lined up like this against Chelsea:

-------------------De Gea---------------
AWB-----Lindeloff------Maguire---Shaw
---------McTominay-----Pogba----------
James------------Lingard-----Martial/Rashford
----------------Martial/Rashford-------------

Not sure who will lead the line. I can see them taking turns through out the match. I also won't be surprised to see Matic start ahead of McTominay, I just hope he doesn't...
Think this is spot on - hopefully Dybala comes in to replace Lingard but tbf he played well yesterday and Ole said he's been very good in training since his holiday bollocking.

kundalini

If you start with who got the most mins on tour, then adjust for injuries, and Maguire arriving, you get:

De Gea 255 mins

Wan-Bissaka 318
Shaw 293
Lindelof 295
Maguire

McTominay 313
Pogba 227 (Matic has more mins (306) but has benefitted from Pogba missing the last match)
Lingard 282

James 282
Rashford 336
Martial 336

Subs based on pre-season mins: Romero 195, Young 222, CB ? Tuanzebe 198 got most as CB apart from Lindelof but Rojo got more if LB mins included, Matic 306, Pereira 258, Mata 258, Greenwood 204

Players that got limited mins on tour: Smalling 135, Jones 183, Dalot 195, Chong 150, Gomes 145, Joel Pereira 90, Bailly injured 85, Fred arrived late due to wedding 132, Garner 19

We have used 4-2-3-1 for each match during pre-season, so I assume that will be our preferred formation for the early part of the season.

If you were selecting on form, rather than mins, then I think Greenwood would be a starter instead of James, while Chong and Gomes might make the bench.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you start with who got the most mins on tour, then adjust for injuries, and Maguire arriving, you get:

De Gea 255 mins

Wan-Bissaka 318
Shaw 293
Lindelof 295
Maguire

McTominay 313
Pogba 227 (Matic has more mins (306) but has benefitted from Pogba missing the last match)
Lingard 282

James 282
Rashford 336
Martial 336

Subs based on pre-season mins: Romero, Young, CB ?, Matic 306, Pereira 258, Mata 258, Greenwood 204
Looks like our current first choice 11 alright. If Dybala comes in he tales Lingard's place and that's that.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
DDG

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Matic (ugh)
Pogba

Lingard (ugh)
James
Martial

Rashford

Matic and Lingard need to be replaced badly, James has a lot to prove but hopefully he works out. Greenwood is far to young to be a starter in any position not because hes not good enough but he has to be protected. I reckon he will start in the EL and cup ties.
Think it's more critical to replace Matic than Lingard the way it looks now. Either someone steps up or we buy someone.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
It's great to finally have a nailed on first back 5. We've fixed 2 problem areas and are likely to try and fix another couple before the window ends.

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Dybala Fernandes Martial
Rashford

Romero, Smalling, Dalot, Matic, Mata, James, Lingard

cfkane

De Gea 255 mins

Wan-Bissaka 318
Shaw 293
Lindelof 295
Maguire

McTominay 313
Lingard 282

James 282
Rashford 336
Martial 336

Subs based on pre-season mins: Romero, Young 222, CB ? Tuanzebe got most as CB apart from Lindelof but Rojo got more if LB mins included, Matic 306, Pereira 258, Mata 258, Greenwood 204

Players that got limited mins on tour: Smalling 135, Jones 183, Dalot 195, Chong 150, Gomes 145, Joel Pereira 90, Bailly injured 85, Fred arrived late due to wedding 132, Garner 19

We have used 4-2-3-1 for each match during pre-season so I assume that will be our preferred formation for most of the season.

If you were selecting on form, rather than mins, then I think Greenwood would be a starter instead of James, while Chong and Gomes might make the bench.
Anyone know how many minutes Harry had with the Foxes this preseason?

BigBebe

De Gea 255 mins

Wan-Bissaka 318
Shaw 293
Lindelof 295
Maguire

McTominay 313
Lingard 282

James 282
Rashford 336
Martial 336

Subs based on pre-season mins: Romero 195, Young 222, CB ? Tuanzebe 198 got most as CB apart from Lindelof but Rojo got more if LB mins included, Matic 306, Pereira 258, Mata 258, Greenwood 204

We have used 4-2-3-1 for each match during pre-season, so I assume that will be our preferred formation for the early part of the season.

That team is pretty much what I would go for and doesn't look too bad but I agree with you that I would actually prefer Greenwood instead of James.

My real hope is that by Christmas, Tuanzebe is partnering Maguire in what I hope will be a rock-solid defence.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Pressing is difficult to measure. Usually it’s PPDA, but it has flaws. City have so much procession that their defensive line is naturally very high: “their territory” is bigger. This affects PPDA. Spurs have a high defensive line because they press very high, i.e. they leave their territory and “invade” the opponent. Liverpool is good at timing of pressing, therefore have a higher success rate.

City’s stat nevertheless is phenomenal. Our stat doesn’t indicate anything: we just have better players and considered as a favorite in most of our games.

Dve

With current squad (starting against Chelsea):

De Gea

Bissaka Lindeløf Maguire Shaw

McTominey Pogba

James Lingard Martial

Rashford

NoPace

With current squad (starting against Chelsea):

De Gea

Bissaka Lindeløf Maguire Shaw

McTominey Pogba

James Lingard Martial

Rashford
Flip Martial and Rashford and I think we'll probably sign someone to play in Lingard or James's spot but otherwise I agree.

Dve

Flip Martial and Rashford and I think we'll probably sign someone to play in Lingard or James's spot but otherwise I agree.
Flip Martial and Rashford, all right, but Im almost certain Lingard will start.

NoPace

Flip Martial and Rashford, all right, but Im almost certain Lingard will start.
I have a weird hope that we're going to sign a #10 or RW, even though Mata coming back implies we're going to wait a year and go hard for Sancho (though I doubt that works).

If Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Gomes and James are attackers set to be here long-term that's 3 forwards fast over long distances who can all play wide, a jitterbug winger in James and a tiny #10 with good mobility who might end up at LW because he's so small. That leaves room for another creative talent. Someone like Havertz would be ideal but a player like that isn't coming here until we improve.

I wonder if there's a CM we could bring in who would spell Pogba and Mctominay but also be a real option as a #10. A Goretzka type would be that sort of guy. Bentancur and Van De Beek would be up to it but we're not getting either of them. Still, an athletic #8 like those guys might be our best way of improving the XI and providing cover for our midfielders (since Matic and Fred have looked worse than expected this preseason and expectations were low). It's a shame Pereira looks like a lower mid-table quality player since a midfielder of his style and versatility and strengths but with a bit more quality could easily get 45 starts here this year.

Lee565

With the terrible transfer window we have had that leaves us with a worse midfield than last season and the same poor options on both wings.

------------------ddg
------Awb---lindelof--maguire
Dalot-------mctominay------shaw
----------lingard---------pogba
------------lukaku---rashford

GamerKurisu

Saw this on City forum and it was kinda scary to look at, do Leicester have a better starting eleven than us?

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw
McTominay, Matic, Pogba

Schmeichel
Ricardo, Evans, Dunk, Chilwell
Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison
Barnes, Vardy, Gray

I think it's so worrying that it could actually be argues that they do..

Stacks

Saw this on City forum and it was kinda scary to look at, do Leicester have a better starting eleven than us?

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw
McTominay, Matic, Pogba

Schmeichel
Ricardo, Evans, Dunk, Chilwell
Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison
Barnes, Vardy, Gray

I think it's so worrying that it could actually be argues that they do..
Just the midfield and nothing else. Vardy is no more prolific than Rashford as @roonster09 pointed out, save the penalties. Their other options are inferior

Woeisme

So, I guess Jlings is a first choice, United midfielder!
That's the measure of "One of the biggest and richest clubs in the world"
Could be a long season