Custis: Sir Alex Ferguson tells players they’ll Make United Great Again! #MUGA

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The man is arguably the greatest Coach/Manager in the history of sport. There's probably very few football fans around the world over the age of 20 that don't know who that man is and is revered through most other sports. When the man is front page of virtually every major newspaper in the world when he announced his retirement, you know he's fecking big.

And thats not even considering the countless wishes sent from sports not even remotely close to football such as Formula 1 when he fell ill earlier last year.

Ferguson clearly has left the club to its own devices and is now trying to get it back on track because we desperately need some structure. The new manager will have to look at stand named after him every time they sit in our dug out. If they cannot accept his position, then they dont deserve to represent our club.
The fact that Sir Alex is such a massive club legend underlines my point. I really think it’s better if he stays upstairs once the new permanent manager has started. I understand why he is there helping Ole but this should be kept to a minimum. All top managers will be uneasy about having him looking over their shoulder. We want as many top level candidates for the job as possible.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The fact that Sir Alex is such a massive club legend underlines my point. I really think it’s better if he stays upstairs once the new permanent manager has started. I understand why he is there helping Ole but this should be kept to a minimum. All top managers will be uneasy about having him looking over their shoulder. We want as many top level candidates for the job as possible.
It's a one off visit during a temp manager's reign whose current job is to get morale back up and to remind players what kind of club they're playing for.
I wouldn't worry about what happens when a different manager comes in. He hasn't stuck his oar in with the others.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
He stayed out of the way of the last three managers and look how they did.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In all seriousness - I love Sir Alex with all my heart. What a man!
What a man indeed.
Everybody who loves Manchester United can perfectly well understand your emotions for Sir Alex Ferguson.

It is an oft used statement but you don't really know what you have got till it has gone.
He was simply the best manager ever and any involvement with the club, however small has to be a good thing.

SirAF

Ageist
Everybody who loves Manchester United can perfectly well understand your emotions for Sir Alex Ferguson.

It is an oft used statement but you don't really know what you have got till it has gone.
He was simply the best manager ever and any involvement with the club, however small has to be a good thing.
:drool:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m all for free speech but I wish people wouldn’t start threads based on quotes from the sun. It’s just not worthy of this forum.

As regards Sir Alex getting involved in first team, we should tread carefully. Prospective new permanent managers might not like the idea of a living legend marking their homework on a regular basis.
Don't agree at all with your second comment.
If a prospective new manager does not welcome SAF having some sort of investment then that person would be cutting off his nose to spite his face.

DSG

I truly believe that SAF is the greatest manager of all time.

While I agree that the spectre of SAF hovering over a non United manager/former player would be intimidating, for Ole, it’s just a continuation of his professional career. The man had an immense impact on his footballing philosophy and optimistic outlook. If anyone isn’t intimidated by SAF lurking around, it’s Ole.

Just excited for the whole club. I love the feeling right now.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

crossy1686

career ending
Translation please.
"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago, "said the Portuguese coach, in clear comparison, but without naming him, the legendary Scottish coach who led United for 27 seasons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tbf Jose isn't having a go at anyone, looks like he is answering from the "past it" point of view, that he won lot in last 2 years.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Don't agree at all with your second comment.
If a prospective new manager does not welcome SAF having some sort of investment then that person would be cutting off his nose to spite his face.
I agree, but I can also understand the new permanent manager not wanting too much input from Fergie, in the same way Busby is widely understood to have overshadowed Wilf McGuinness.

However what we're talking about here is him joining one of his old players, with whom he has a great relationship, while Ole takes temporary charge of the team to boost the feelgood factor and focus minds on what United should mean to the players. There's nothing wrong with that at all for me.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago, "said the Portuguese coach, in clear comparison, but without naming him, the legendary Scottish coach who led United for 27 seasons.
It doesn't sound amazing on the face of it, comparing yourself to Fergie is only going to go one way (particularly around these parts!). But Jose has every right to defend himself from accusations he's over the hill, and stating facts in terms of what he's won at a relatively young age suggests he could have plenty of time in management yet.

crossy1686

career ending
It doesn't sound amazing on the face of it, comparing yourself to Fergie is only going to go one way (particularly around these parts!). But Jose has every right to defend himself from accusations he's over the hill, and stating facts in terms of what he's won at a relatively young age suggests he could have plenty of time in management yet.
Agreed. I'm sure Jose will ride again when he finds himself at a club that is willing to conform to his every want and need. However, most elite managers (excluding Fergie) only get around 10 years at the top before the game changes enough to make their methods obsolete.

LoveFootball

He won't stop talking about past achievements, did he?

It seems like he has some kind of vendetta against SAF.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I wonder how many dressing rooms SAF has lost

devilish

Nah he's just trying to persuade prospective employers that he is still a top tier manager. His reputation took a big hit following his last 3 appointments and all he's got to justify he is still relevant is the past

I've seen a similar interview/spat between sacchi and allegri on live tv.

LoveFootball

Tbf Jose isn't having a go at anyone, looks like he is answering from the "past it" point of view, that he won lot in last 2 years.
Why compare himself to SAF then? Why not to Klopp or Pep but SAF?
There's something behind those words.

devilish

No one gives a feck of ancient history else clubs would be rushing at capello, lippi and the trap to hire them up

Mou is still a respectable manager but he is not a top tier one. No manager who had massively underachieved in the past 3 jobs can be considered as so. Going go toe to toe with a living legend who hasn't said one bad word against him won't help. Actually it makes him look sour and will justify rumours that he lost it

crossy1686

career ending

I'm not sure who he's saying this for anymore. We all know his past achievements, he has been a fantastic coach and won everything worth winning in multiple countries. However, he's been fired from his last 3 jobs that have ended quite badly so is he saying this to make himself feel better? Is this some sort of public pep talk for himself? I don't get it.

Anyone that potentially wants to hire him knows his CV and knows what he will bring to the club so I just don't understand these constant reminders, and how long will he be able to keep talking about it before it becomes the same as Van Gaal talking about winning the CL with Ajax?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why compare himself to SAF then? Why not to Klopp or Pep but SAF?
There's something behind those words.
Did he compare himself to SAF? I read his interview and he didn't bring any name, it's just Marca's interpretation.

LoveFootball

Nah he's just trying to persuade prospective employers that he is still a top tier manager. His reputation took a big hit following his last 3 appointments and all he's got to justify he is still relevant is the past

I've seen a similar interview/spat between sacchi and allegri on live tv.
He can say whatever he wants about himself but when even rivals fans want you to get sacked because you're destroying football then something is wrong with your management style. Maybe he thinks other CEO don't read media and follow closely situation at other Clubs?

devilish

I'm not sure who he's saying this for anymore. We all know his past achievements, he has been a fantastic coach and won everything worth winning in multiple countries. However, he's been fired from his last 3 jobs that have ended quite badly so is he saying this to make himself feel better? Is this some sort of public pep talk for himself? I don't get it.

Anyone that potentially wants to hire him knows his CV and knows what he will bring to the club so I just don't understand these constant reminders, and how long will he be able to keep talking about it before it becomes the same as Van Gaal talking about winning the CL with Ajax?
What I find hilarious is why he compared himself to a living legend whose got decades of unprecedented success at his back, especially since SAF didn't even said one bad word against him. That's stupid and further confirm that he lost it. I mean, who would do that? Can you imagine Bocelli throwing jabs at Pavarotti, Joshua King comparing his records to those of Mohammed Ali or Banksy comparing himself to Leonardo? Of course not. That would make the person look silly especially if the person in question is passing from a very bad patch.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No one gives a feck of ancient history else clubs would be rushing at capello, lippi and the trap to hire them up

Mou is still a respectable manager but he is not a top tier one. No manager who had massively underachieved in the past 3 jobs can be considered as so. Going go toe to toe with a living legend who hasn't said one bad word against him won't help. Actually it makes him look sour and will justify rumours that he lost it
Definitely, I'm by no means saying Jose comes out of the comparison looking good nor that stating what he won ten or more years ago will do him many favours if he continues to have United-style disasters in the future but I'm trying not to fly off the handle when Jose alludes to his and Fergie's records.

Stating for the record that he won big trophies at a younger age than Fergie, and that he has time to win more things like Fergie did into his 70s, isn't a problem for me. If he actively stated his record was somehow better than Fergie's and that he should have been afforded 26 years to build the club in his image it's fair to say that would be a different matter.

devilish

He can say whatever he wants about himself but when even rivals fans want you to get sacked because you're destroying football then something is wrong with your management style. Maybe he thinks other CEO don't read media and follow closely situation at other Clubs?
I fully agree. That interview is the epitome of a person who lost it. Its natural for people to try and defend their career, especially if they are passing from a bad patch. However if a sacked IT person goes on the media to compare his record to that of Bill Gates then he will look silly, especially if Bill Gates said nothing against that IT person. There are thresholds no one should pass for their own sake.

I remember Brian Clough throwing jabs at a young SAF for not winning 2 CL. SAF stirred clear from replying to the legend even though, unlike Mourinho now, he was still on top.