Custis: Sir Alex Ferguson tells players they’ll Make United Great Again! #MUGA

LoveFootball

No one gives a feck of ancient history else clubs would be rushing at capello, lippi and the trap to hire them up

Mou is still a respectable manager but he is not a top tier one. No manager who had massively underachieved in the past 3 jobs can be considered as so. Going go toe to toe with a living legend who hasn't said one bad word against him won't help. Actually it makes him look sour and will justify rumours that he lost it
This

I'm not sure who he's saying this for anymore. We all know his past achievements, he has been a fantastic coach and won everything worth winning in multiple countries. However, he's been fired from his last 3 jobs that have ended quite badly so is he saying this to make himself feel better? Is this some sort of public pep talk for himself? I don't get it.

Anyone that potentially wants to hire him knows his CV and knows what he will bring to the club so I just don't understand these constant reminders, and how long will he be able to keep talking about it before it becomes the same as Van Gaal talking about winning the CL with Ajax?
And this.

He's finished at high level and the sooner he accept it the better, before making another set of fans hate him again.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Definitely, I'm by no means saying Jose comes out of the comparison looking good nor that stating what he won ten or more years ago will do him many favours if he continues to have United-style disasters in the future but I'm trying not to fly off the handle when Jose alludes to his and Fergie's records.

Stating for the record that he won big trophies at a younger age than Fergie, and that he has time to win more things like Fergie did into his 70s, isn't a problem for me. If he actively stated his record was somehow better than Fergie's and that he should have been afforded 26 years to build the club in his image it's fair to say that would be a different matter.
Look, the situation was pretty different between the two. SAF took a sleeping giant with a huge drinking problem at a time when the EPL was possibly the poorest from all top leagues in the world having just come out from the European suspension. FFS we couldn't even afford matching Batistuta's salary who was playing with Fiorentina at the time. Since then he built 4 successful sides despite facing all sort of challenges which would have made Mourinho jump ship at a moment notice

Mourinho's career took off at Porto, specifically when they won against us by a rather controversial decision. Ever since he moved from one rich club to another, jumping ship whenever things didn't go to his liking. That changed after Real when he was the one being kicked out. Ever since he lost not 1 but 3 dressing rooms. Meanwhile all the clubs that sacked him were better off. Chelsea won the league, Real won three successive CL and we're enjoying some decent football again.

devilish

He's finished at high level and the sooner he accept it the better, before making another set of fans hate him again.
That's too early to say. There aren't many top tier managers around so clubs will have to make due with what is available. Therefore Mou will probably get his last chance. However Mou is being accused of losing it and this silly comparison won't help. SAF is virtually untouchable and his record defies logic. No manager, no matter how successful he is, should try and compare himself to a living legend. That's silly, especially if the manager in question is suffering from a bad patch lasting 3 years.

You don't see Chiellini comparing his stats to Maldini's or Kane comparing his stats to Shearer's or DDG comparing his stats with those of Schmeichel. We're talking here about top professionals who are in top. Now imagine if Jones comes out and compares himself to Baresi or Rio because that's exactly what Mou is doing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's very clear whos's talking about there.
It's clear to me that he is talking about his achivements with ManUtd, saying he achieved European Cup, PL runners up, FA finals in 2 years rather than 20, which means he has achieved a lot in last 2 years so he isn't past it. Very clear when he says PL runners up in 6 months, meaning he has done something recently.

For some reason Marca added SAF's name.

"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago,

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Look, the situation was pretty different between the two. SAF took a sleeping giant with a huge drinking problem at a time when the EPL was possibly the poorest from all top leagues in the world having just come out from the European suspension. FFS we couldn't even afford matching Batistuta's salary who was playing with Fiorentina at the time. Since then he built 4 successful sides despite facing all sort of challenges which would have made Mourinho jump ship at a moment notice

Mourinho's career took off at Porto, specifically when they won against us by a rather controversial decision. Ever since he moved from one rich club to another, jumping ship whenever things didn't go to his liking. That changed after Real when he was the one being kicked out. Ever since he lost not 1 but 3 dressing rooms. Meanwhile all the clubs that sacked him were better off. Chelsea won the league, Real won three successive CL and we're enjoying some decent football again.
I agree, their achievements are of an entirely different magnitude and I prefer Fergie to Jose every day of the week and twice on Sunday. My point is I'm not going to get exercised about these comments, as Jose rightly sees his career teetering on the brink and so has to go into full self-preservation mode. It infuriated, and I do mean infuriated, me to hear Jose inflating his own stock at the expense of our club and our players while he was United manager but now he's gone my anger and indignation has been replaced by interest at what he does next, as his next move is critical.

devilish

I agree, their achievements are of an entirely different magnitude and I prefer Fergie to Jose every day of the week and twice on Sunday. My point is I'm not going to get exercised about these comments, as Jose rightly sees his career teetering on the brink and so has to go into full self-preservation mode. It infuriated, and I do mean infuriated, me to hear Jose inflating his own stock at the expense of our club and our players while he was United manager but now he's gone my anger and indignation has been replaced by interest at what he does next, as his next move is critical.
I see things from three POV

As a Manchester United supporter, I am infuriated that our legend is being dragged into this, especially since he had done nothing to provoke such silly comparisons. SAF's record is impeccable and the legend should be allowed to retire gracefully without having idiots questioning his record.

As a lover of football I am saddened to see to what extent former top managers would go to try and get their last pay cheque. I said the same when Sacchi, now turned pundit, did something similar to Allegri on live TV. It was embarrassing.

As a neutral I find this to be an exercise of self harm by Mourinho. You never ever compare yourself to a living legend, even when you're on top let alone when you're struggling. Even the likes of Mike Tyson knows that. In fact when asked if he would beat Mohammed Ali in his prime he said that he would definitely lose.

Zoo

James Ducker in the Telegraph says suggestions that SAF was invited to address the players are wide of the mark and he has no involvement with the first team. It’s difficult to know who to believe here.

haram

Won a European competition in two years, not in 20
Won an English Cup in two years, not in 20.
Runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years

Nothing to do with SAF. Im baffled people cannot see the pattern in his words here.

roonster09

Scout
James Ducker in the Telegraph says suggestions that SAF was invited to address the players are wide of the mark and he has no involvement with the first team. It’s difficult to know who to believe here.
Didn't Solskjaer say that SAF was in carrington? Remember him saying in one of his press.

Edit: He did

“He paid us a visit,” said Solskjær, ahead of Wednesday night’s trip to Newcastle United.

“Sir Alex Ferguson enjoyed his time at the training ground, we had a few nice chats and he encouraged us.

“He knows the staff I’ve got are Manchester United through and through. He knows we’re going to do whatever we can, up to the last second we’re here, for Manchester United, as best we can.”

Imran Mamdani

As a Manchester United supporter, I am infuriated that our legend is being dragged into this, especially since he had done nothing to provoke such silly comparisons. SAF's record is impeccable and the legend should be allowed to retire gracefully without having idiots questioning his record.

As a lover of football I am saddened to see to what extent former top managers would go to try and get their last pay cheque. I said the same when Sacchi, now turned pundit, did something similar to Allegri on live TV. It was embarrassing.

As a neutral I find this to be an exercise of self harm by Mourinho. You never ever compare yourself to a living legend, even when you're on top let alone when you're struggling. Even the likes of Mike Tyson knows that. In fact when asked if he would beat Mohammed Ali in his prime he said that he would definitely lose.
Sometimes when people get the fame, power and riches they tend to change their personality to be more arrogant and lack humility. This is exactly what has happened to jose IMHO. He is talented and successful as his record show - but without the right personal characteristics and people manners - anyone and everyone eventually is doomed to failure. it's Karma b***h.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

That's fair enough, I agree there are different ways of looking at it but personally I feel nothing but relief and delight Jose is gone from a United POV and as a football fan I can't help but be interested to see what Jose does with what feels like a last throw of the dice

Didn't Solskjaer say that SAF was in carrington? Remember him saying in one of his press.

Edit: He did
Ferguson was definitely at the ground, as you say Ole confirmed it himself. I don't know where Ducker has made that claim (he has an article today behind a paywall) but if he did he's wrong.

roonster09

Scout
Ferguson was definitely at the ground, as you say Ole confirmed it himself. I don't know where Ducker has made that claim (he has an article today behind a paywall) but if he did he's wrong.
Yeah Ducker said it, whole article is posted on reddit.

Ferguson was instrumental in bringing Solskjaer back to United, even if suggestions the former manager was invited to address the players are wide of the mark and he has no direct involvement with the team. Yet the influence of the Scot on his former striker has been very apparent, right down to the way the interim has been delivering bad news.
Maybe he is correct, Solskjaer said SAF met the staff and encouraged us, nothing about players.

Anyways in the grand scheme, this shouldn't matter.

crossy1686

career ending
Have we forgotten that Mourinho doesn't say anything without a political message behind it that quickly? This was aimed at United for letting him go so quickly after things turned sour despite SAF apparently getting 20 years between Champions Leagues.

LoveFootball

It's clear to me that he is talking about his achivements with ManUtd, saying he achieved European Cup, PL runners up, FA finals in 2 years rather than 20, which means he has achieved a lot in last 2 years so he isn't past it. Very clear when he says PL runners up in 6 months, meaning he has done something recently.

For some reason Marca added SAF's name.
"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago"

How are you struggling to read behind the lines mate? It's clear as water who he's referring to there.

haram

"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago"

How are you struggling to read behind the lines mate? It's clear as water who he's referring to there.
He is saying he achieved those things inside 2 years, while the media make out as if he is done and it happened 20 years ago.

roonster09

Scout

To me it sounds like what he achieved in recent past and he isn't "past it" manager. Him saying 75 years means he has many years left in the tank.

Who knows with Jose, but we have enough to criticize him. So I will just give him benefit of doubt.

LoveFootball

He is saying he achieved those things inside 2 years, while the media make out as if he is done and it happened 20 years ago.
"I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago"
What do make with this? Who's that man who won the PL after a spell of 6 years?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He can defend himself without comparing himself to people. This is part of his problem.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah Ducker said it, whole article is posted on reddit.

Maybe he is correct, Solskjaer said SAF met the staff and encouraged us, nothing about players.

Anyways in the grand scheme, this shouldn't matter.
Ah Reddit. If it isn't on teletext I tend to miss it.

Yeah it's possible there's no contradiction between Ole and Ducker on this, but again as you say it's not a big deal.

LoveFootball

To me it sounds like what he achieved in recent past and he isn't "past it" manager. Him saying 75 years means he has many years left in the tank.

Who knows with Jose, but we have enough to criticize him. So I will just give him benefit of doubt.
It's fair to give him the benefit of doubt, but we know from self experience that this guy always used words with specific things in his mind. And there are some specific points he said that immediately point toward SAF, like the 6 years spell of time, the age when SAF retired,...

haram

"I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago"
What do make with this? Who's that man who won the PL after a spell of 6 years?
He said he was the runner up just 6 months ago, not 6 years ago like some people are acting. He also did the same thing with the European and English cup.... 2 years ago, not 20 years ago. People want to be offended so bad.

LoveFootball

He said he was the runner up just 6 months ago, not 6 years ago like some people are acting. He also did the same thing with the European and English cup.... 2 years ago, not 20 years ago. People want to be offended so bad.
I know you're doing your best to absorb him from any blame but, don't think if he wanted to say "6 years ago" he'd have worded it like that and not say : "I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years,..." , This literally means "I didn't wait 6 years to be runner-up of the premier", and not "6 years ago" as you're interpreted it.

haram

I know you're doing your best to absorb him from any blame but, don't think if he wanted to say "6 years ago" he'd have worded it like that and not say : "I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years,..." , This literally means "I didn't wait 6 years to be runner-up of the premier", and not "6 years ago" as you're interpreted it.
No. Look at the other examples he gave.

LoveFootball

No. Look at the other examples he gave.

Most of the time he is saying "I did this...in X time" not "I did it ....X time ago", and then went on to say he wasn't 75 y/o. And why specifically 6 and 20 yrs? Why not 9, 4 or 13 yrs?

haram

Most of the time he is saying "I did this...in X time" not "I did it ....X time ago", and then went on to say he wasn't 75 y/o. And why specifically 6 and 20 yrs? Why not 9, 4 or 13 yrs?
Managers are finished at 75. He added a zero to the number 2. He turned the 6 months into 6 years. How difficult is it to understand.

kaiz

Mourinho speaks so many languages, so maybe he confuses sometimes. If you replace "in" by "ago" like haram said, then his statement makes more sense. He won an European competition 2 years ago (Europa League), an English Cup 2 years ago (league cup), runner-up of PL 6 months ago (still true). So basically he meant that he had success recently and not a past-it manager.

LoveFootball

Mourinho speaks so many languages, so maybe he confuses sometimes. If you replace "in" by "ago" like haram said, then his statement makes more sense. He won an European competition 2 years ago (Europa League), an English Cup 2 years ago (league cup), runner-up of PL 6 months ago (still true). So basically he meant that he had success recently and not a past-it manager.
I speak too many languages too and I suppose he's fluent with English then I'm. These kind of mistakes are impossible to make even if English is not your 1st language.

LoveFootball

Another sign when you know you are wrong, just throw "Mourinho apologist" into the mix.
Yes dear. I'm wrong for wasting my time arguing with someone who always find excuses to absorb his idol from anything.

haram

Yes dear. I'm wrong for wasting my time arguing with someone who always find excuses to absorb his idol from anything.
He is far from my idol and he is no longer part of Manchester United. I actually do not care that much about him, he is the past and we have a new manager.

Sterling Archer

This reads to me like the three fingers. It didn't work out, okay. But don't pretend like it was a Moyes type debacle. He's won more with United in two years than Klopp and Poch have respectively. And most of all don't act like he isn't still one of the most successful coaches of the currents.

It's meant for the media. Maybe some of the bantering fans.

It's also Marca getting their arses lubed to do deal with him again.

This should be a valuable lesson for many United fans. We've grown accustomed to having a single manager for so long. Now we're dating and its awful. Really does no good to linger on this or what the hottie that turned out to be a mindfeck has to say.

Moonwalker

Doesn't read like he's having a go at Sir Alex. He's just blowing his own trumpet and being his usual crass self.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I speak too many languages too and I suppose he's fluent with English then I'm. These kind of mistakes are impossible to make even if English is not your 1st language.
Do you talk this much gibberish in all of them? So many languages yet so little sense.

You seem to be obsessed with Mourinho and take every opportunity to criticise him, which makes you appear utterly incapable of seeming even slightly objective on the subject. Resorting to labelling people when they try to explore the nuances of a subject also makes you look like one of those posters who back themselves into a corner (with startling regularity) and then just fire off affronts with all the accuracy of a defective hose.

Mourinho is gone now. Just let it go.

devilish

Sometimes when people get the fame, power and riches they tend to change their personality to be more arrogant and lack humility. This is exactly what has happened to jose IMHO. He is talented and successful as his record show - but without the right personal characteristics and people manners - anyone and everyone eventually is doomed to failure. it's Karma b***h.
Mou is among the last remnants of managers (with Conte) who see themselves as a chess masters playing a game of chess with players acting as chess pieces. These managers were pretty popular in the 80s-2000s with Sacchi, Capello, Lippi and LVG as classic examples of it. For them the manager is everything. His tactics, his vision and his philosophy is what win matches. The rest is secondary.

Football has moved on from that mentality. Players still want to win but they also want to enjoy themselves and be man managed correctly. They want more then a pile of gold and loads of medals at the end of their career. SAF was the first to point that out. Players are becoming increasingly emotionally fragile at each generation. In fact he had to mellow, becoming more of a father figure then a general in chief. That was what irked Keane when he confronted the man accusing him of changing. Look around whose dominating football these days. Klopp, Pocchettino, Allegri, Pep, Zidane. They are all superb man managers. Even Ole whose got like 1/1000 of Mou's experience is doing better then him. Why? Because he can man manage.

The funny/tragic thing is that we keep hiring these old school managers when our legend was the first person in football to notice that out.