Custis: Sir Alex Ferguson tells players they’ll Make United Great Again! #MUGA

LoveFootball

Do you talk this much gibberish in all of them? So many languages yet so little sense.

You seem to be obsessed with Mourinho and take every opportunity to criticise him, which makes you appear utterly incapable of seeming even slightly objective on the subject. Resorting to labelling people when they try to explore the nuances of a subject also makes you look like one of those posters who back themselves into a corner (with startling regularity) and then just fire off affronts with all the accuracy of a defective hose.

Mourinho is gone now. Just let it go.
I'm obsessed with Mourinho like you are obsessed with me? I'm doing my best to ignore all your attempts to get a reaction from me but you never tired, do you? I'm all for having a chat on a topic on here but I'm not interested on responding to you if you have nothing to talk about, I don't have time to waste.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
That really doesn't sound like a dig at Ferguson in fairness to him. He is just responding to articles and the general feeling that he is a dinosaur now by mentioning the fact that he is still young and has won trophies very recently.

But anyway he shouldn't be infecting this SAF thread. Less talk of Jose, more adoration of the boss

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't see the funny side in comparing our greatest manager to a murderous dictator.

Fancy a nibble? Go on, have a bite

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm obsessed with Mourinho like you are obsessed with me? I'm doing my best to ignore all your attempts to get a reaction from me but you never tired, do you? I'm all for having a chat on a topic on here but I'm not interested on responding to you if you have nothing to talk about, I don't have time to waste.
It's impossible. Every thread I go in you're there, telling everyone how Harry Kane and Danny Ings are the same quality or Jose is making coded criticisms of Fergie. It's sort of fascinating in its own twisted way but you're right, for both our sakes the ignore button is probably needed here. One less person to call you out on your bollocks.

Cheerio.

Imran Mamdani

Mou is among the last remnants of managers (with Conte) who see themselves as a chess masters playing a game of chess with players acting as chess pieces. These managers were pretty popular in the 80s-2000s with Sacchi, Capello, Lippi and LVG as classic examples of it. For them the manager is everything. His tactics, his vision and his philosophy is what win matches. The rest is secondary.

Football has moved on from that mentality. Players still want to win but they also want to enjoy themselves and be man managed correctly. They want more then a pile of gold and loads of medals at the end of their career. SAF was the first to point that out. Players are becoming increasingly emotionally fragile at each generation. In fact he had to mellow, becoming more of a father figure then a general in chief. That was what irked Keane when he confronted the man accusing him of changing. Look around whose dominating football these days. Klopp, Pocchettino, Allegri, Pep, Zidane. They are all superb man managers. Even Ole whose got like 1/1000 of Mou's experience is doing better then him. Why? Because he can man manage.

The funny/tragic thing is that we keep hiring these old school managers when our legend was the first person in football to notice that out.
You're spot on. Everywhere you look from football clubs to businesses to multi-corporations - the focus is primarily on man management. It is what makes an organisation successful. Trust in your people. What I am unable to find an answer to though is the inadequate succession planning post SAF. Even if you take Moyes for example - I am led to believe it was SAF's decision - and I am by no means knowledgable enough to know the insides out of the succession but Moyes sits in the pile of old-thinkers.

Anyhow, I think we have at least showed some signs of stabilisation in Ole. Let's hope that goes on to better things. onwards and upwards as they say - key test being tomorrow!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're spot on. Everywhere you look from football clubs to businesses to multi-corporations - the focus is primarily on man management. It is what makes an organisation successful. Trust in your people. What I am unable to find an answer to though is the inadequate succession planning post SAF. Even if you take Moyes for example - I am led to believe it was SAF's decision - and I am by no means knowledgable enough to know the insides out of the succession but Moyes sits in the pile of old-thinkers.

Anyhow, I think we have at least showed some signs of stabilisation in Ole. Let's hope that goes on to better things. onwards and upwards as they say - key test being tomorrow!
I think that SAF saw in Moyes some elements of himself + he thought Moyes would be so grateful for the job that he will allow SAF to guide him or even managing him for the first few years. It turned out he was right for all the wrong reasons. Similarly to SAF Moyes was stubborn, fiercely loyal and independent. He would stuck to his own men rather SAF and he refused to take Sir Alex guidance. I happen to know people who were very close to people who worked with United at the time and I assure the situation was beyond toxic. Moyes barely ever left his office + there was this Lumsden guy whose job was to snoop around players, saying nothing and then vanish in Moyes office for 'briefing'. That was completely opposite to SAF's way with his open door and his first to come in and last to go out policy.

Imran Mamdani

I think that SAF saw in Moyes some elements of himself + he thought Moyes would be so grateful for the job that he will allow SAF to guide him or even managing him for the first few years. It turned out he was right for all the wrong reasons. Similarly to SAF Moyes was stubborn, fiercely loyal and independent. He would stuck to his own men rather SAF and he refused to take Sir Alex guidance. I happen to know people who were very close to people who worked with United at the time and I assure the situation was beyond toxic. Moyes barely ever left his office + there was this Lumsden guy whose job was to snoop around players, saying nothing and then vanish in Moyes office for 'briefing'. That was completely opposite to SAF's way with his open door and his first to come in and last to go out policy.
wow. didn't know most of that - removing the backroom staff straight away was the first sign of doom imo - anyway i don't want to dwell too much into this since it happened a while ago and we've all had our fair share of discussion on this topic so better to let go now. as much as I love and idolise SAF, I think it is fair to say he messed up the succession plans a little bit. Lessons learnt i suppose.

to your point, the fact that SAF is being more inclusive now than previous 3 managers tells a lot about their philosophy as you rightly mentioned earlier. there are good signs all over the place atm and the team are gelling well with each other and ole. only time will tell i guess and personally i haven't been this happier since SAF days.

honestly, i can't contain my excitement for tomorrows' game - though i've managed to source a match ticket at the spuds end. :(:(:(

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
wow. didn't know most of that - removing the backroom staff straight away was the first sign of doom imo - anyway i don't want to dwell too much into this since it happened a while ago and we've all had our fair share of discussion on this topic so better to let go now. as much as I love and idolise SAF, I think it is fair to say he messed up the succession plans a little bit. Lessons learnt i suppose.

to your point, the fact that SAF is being more inclusive now than previous 3 managers tells a lot about their philosophy as you rightly mentioned earlier. there are good signs all over the place atm and the team are gelling well with each other and ole. only time will tell i guess and personally i haven't been this happier since SAF days.

honestly, i can't contain my excitement for tomorrows' game - though i've managed to source a match ticket at the spuds end. :(:(:(
SAF's policy was simple, focus on your job and the rest will be well taken care off. Nothing was left for chance. Secretaries were hired to keep calendars and send player's partners/children birthday/anniversary gifts, meanwhile the club invested heavily on Carrington Moss (Also known as fort knox) to keep player's privacy intact

SAF's influence didn't stop to the first team squad though. He would meet with parents of 13 year old players who were considering signing their players with us, he would come early to work to say good morning to every single United staff and Giggs recalled going to a party were alcohol was served only to find a fuming SAF at the door. A friend of mine and a close friend of Sir Alex had an extra marital affair with a staff member. SAF found out in matter of weeks and the guy had a proper hairdryer and was threatened that he would lose every perk he had unless he called it off.

Each person was made to feel special from the tea lady right to Eric Cantona or Cristiano Ronaldo. That is why we lost our way when he left and why I find it silly when someone like Gaz who was under just 1 manager preach about players giving their all under toxic managers. He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about

Patrick08

Apparently was at training today as well. Is he managing from behind the scenes?

Decomposing In Paris

Apparently was at training today as well. Is he managing from behind the scenes?
Our new, unofficial DoF? Can't imagine he's picking the team though! He's too respectful for that.

Thing is, it's gotta be like a royal visit... remind the players what club they play for.

red thru&thru

If Saf is there again today, just makes my point as why I’m not fully behind Ole’s appointment. I genuinely just think everyone behind the scenes knows what’s happening. Imo, I believe Saf is the main man at the mo, his trusted lieutenant, McPhelan, is there as the link between Saf and Ole.

Saf and Gill seem to have become more hands on.

17Larsson

If Saf is there again today, just makes my point as why I’m not fully behind Ole’s appointment. I genuinely just think everyone behind the scenes knows what’s happening. Imo, I believe Saf is the main man at the mo, his trusted lieutenant, McPhelan, is there as the link between Saf and Ole.

Saf and Gill seem to have become more hands on.
Gill?
If results and performances continue to be this good what is the problem

Borden

"I am a very young coach, I have trained for many years but I am not 75 years old, I am 55. I have won a European competition in two years, not in 20. I won an English Cup in two years, not in 20. I was runner-up of the Premier in six months, not in six years, I have reached my second final of the FA Cup a few months ago, not years ago, "said the Portuguese coach, in clear comparison, but without naming him, the legendary Scottish coach who led United for 27 seasons.
‘I won this, I won that‘

Yes, all on your own Jose.

Egomaniac.

red thru&thru

He's just sharing some advice/inspiration to the players. No way is he involved in day to day things.
Why mention Gill? Has he been around again?
Straight after Jose was sacked, he was at Carrington a day or two later. Indicates he’s involved in some capacity. I’m guessing might more in terms of the reshaping the football side of things.

AgentSquirrel

Straight after Jose was sacked, he was at Carrington a day or two later. Indicates he’s involved in some capacity. I’m guessing might more in terms of the reshaping the football side of things.
Except according to the Telegraph, he was there to see Giuseppi Rossi (which is too random a fact to be made up - apparently he's doing some coaching there?). A lot of people work/train/coach at Carrington so you can't say what involvement SAF is having at all. He probably feels more comfortable going to Carrington (for any reason) now that Ole is there.

red thru&thru

Except according to the Telegraph, he was there to see Giuseppi Rossi (which is too random a fact to be made up - apparently he's doing some coaching there?). A lot of people work/train/coach at Carrington so you can't say what involvement SAF is having at all. He probably feels more comfortable going to Carrington (for any reason) now that Ole is there.
Very so. However, Ole has said he’s spoken to him so many times that it’s no coincidence that Saf will have some involvement.

red thru&thru

Guess it was too random of a fact made up then?!

iHicksy

Rossi isn't doing any coaching at the club. He laughed off the report on twitter himself. Was along the lines of me "Me coaching? aahahhahaha" with a link to the article.

AgentSquirrel

Guess it was too random of a fact made up then?!
Was he not there to see Rossi, which is the bit I referred to as too random to be made up? And the entire point of my post, was that he wasn’t necessarily going in to back-door manage the first team like you’re suggesting.

red thru&thru

Was he not there to see Rossi, which is the bit I referred to as too random to be made up? And the entire point of my post, was that he wasn’t necessarily going in to back-door manage the first team like you’re suggesting.
No, he wasn’t there to see Rossi.

red thru&thru

So Saf made a trip all the way to see just Rossi, at carrington, who wasn’t coaching there? A bit of special trip to “just” go and see Rossi...if he was even there?!

AgentSquirrel

So Saf made a trip all the way to see just Rossi, at carrington, who wasn’t coaching there? A bit of special trip to “just” go and see Rossi...if he was even there?!
All the way? He's not being driven there from London. Also, Rossi is in Manchester judging from his twitter. An ex-United player without a club. Where might he train to keep fit? Who does he know with lots of contacts in the football world that might help him find a new club as he has done for numerous other ex-United players? It's a more reasonable explanation than Sir Alex being spirited in to manage the first team at 77 years old, after a health problem that nearly killed him:confused:

red thru&thru

All the way? He's not being driven there from London. Also, Rossi is in Manchester judging from his twitter. An ex-United player without a club. Where might he train to keep fit? Who does he know with lots of contacts in the football world that might help him find a new club as he has done for numerous other ex-United players? It's a more reasonable explanation than Sir Alex being spirited in to manage the first team at 77 years old, after a health problem that nearly killed him:confused:
So he’s gone to see an old player of his, where he’s been chauffeured, to just go and see Rossi? Come on, don’t be so gullible. Some people lap up everything the media give them.

17Larsson

So he’s gone to see an old player of his, where he’s been chauffeured, to just go and see Rossi? Come on, don’t be so gullible. Some people lap up everything the media give them.
You stated as a fact that he didn't go to see him when you actually have no idea, anymore than the rest of us

red thru&thru

You stated as a fact that he didn't go to see him when you actually have no idea, anymore than the rest of us
Very true. But we can hazzard a guess, in his current condition, he never went to Carrington to just go and see an ex-player!

red thru&thru

I would also guess didn't go to Carrington to back seat manage United in his current condition
He seems very much more involved since the sacking of Jose. Has been in and around the squad a lot more. Or was going to visit ex players then too?

Would make sense to meet ex players in a neutral place. Maybe like he did with his class of 92 a few weeks back? But no, that wouldn’t make sense.