Cyber attack

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Manchester United can confirm that the club has experienced a cyber attack on our systems. The club has taken swift action to contain the attack and is currently working with expert advisers to investigate the incident and minimise the ongoing IT disruption.

Although this is a sophisticated operation by organised cyber criminals, the club has extensive protocols and procedures in place for such an event and had rehearsed for this risk. Our cyber defences identified the attack and shut down affected systems to contain the damage and protect data.

Club media channels, including our website and app, are unaffected and we are not currently aware of any breach of personal data associated with our fans and customers. All critical systems required for matches to take place at Old Trafford remain secure and operational and tomorrow’s game against West Bromwich Albion will go ahead.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/official-manchester-united-club-statement-20-november-2020

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ooh heck.
Sounds like the club have dealt well with it though.

0le

Things escalated quickly from the Excel nerds thread.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In this age of social media I wonder about how much the club can actually keep under wraps.
Not entirely sure, tbf. What came to my mind was things like salaries (actual figures), top speeds, training records etc etc. Remember when Lukaku leaked data — that sort of stuff? How useful that stuff actually is to a hacker, yeah, your guess as good as mine. There must be something more... worthwhile?

AFC NimbleThumb

Someone wanted a look at into the algorithm that somehow made Maguire an £80mil defender.

LJJT

no laughing matter if we have been hacked and had a data breach. we are the biggest club in the world and the fine and pr fall out would be huge. hopefully the club have it under wraps and sorted

1nil

Expect them to extort united in exchange for leaking woodys transfer plan. We’ll fall short of the ransom though

Dante

Average bang
Play a double pivot of Avast and McAfee against better cyber attacks. And a trio of Avst, Avira and AVG against weaker cyber attacks.

But we won't ever be free of viruses until Woodward stop signing up for the free trial instead paying the full subscription. Fecking Glazers.

For fecks sake, 80 mil for Maguire and he can't even defend this??

Was probably Bilic desperately trying to deregister Bruno before tomorrow.

slyadams

Story time.

When I was at uni (doing Computer Science) the BBC were running that 'Greatest Britain' programme and was in the voting stage. At the time you could see who was winning and it was Princess Diana. One night we in the lab until the next morning and were a bit grumpy and decided that this wasn't on, so we wrote a super simple script to go onto the BBC website, generate a random email address, vote for a random selection out of our favourites (I think probably Churchill, Brunel, Turing and Shakespeare), accept then discard the cookie and do it all over again. We set this script running on probably 5 or 6 of the lab workstations and went to bed.

Woke up the next morning and the front page of the BBC news and the first story on the TV was something like "BBC thwarts highly sophisticated attempt to rig Greatest Britain vote", followed swiftly by my friend (whose account we ran it under) getting an email to go and see the head of department. It turns out that the entire thing had received something like 250k votes over the course of a month and we voted about 80k times in a matter of hours, so it was super simple to spot. The head of department just gave my friend a bollocking and that was it.

Long story short, "cyber attack" could be absolutely anything.

Prodigal7

Knowing how the club skimp on IT infrastructure I’m not surprised. I work in software sales and as a United fan I approached them for a sale with some marketing analytics software a couple of years back. Their budget was something like 25k per year for all related marketing software. Utterly fecking ridiculous. They asked if I could give it to them for free and they would do some branding with us. Told them in more polite terms to feck off.

funnily enough I now work in cyber sales! I imagine they probably use some sort of anti virus and that’s it (if their it security budget corresponds to the martech budget). With the kind of strategically Important data they have in emails etc they should at least have some endpoint detection and response technology and/or an outsourced SIEM. I’m actually gonna give them a call tomorrow and try and sell some forensic services :D

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What do you get out of hacking a football club?
It's the media behind it so they can release proof of their claims and show confidential emails of how Man Utd officials are concerned about Greenwood.

JB7

At least 55,000 peoples up to date credit card info, plus god knows how many members have credit cards saved to their accounts as well. The payroll bank account information for 50 odd incredibly high earners. Depending on the angle of attack you could end up with direct access to millions of pounds in cash reserves. And that's just the financials.

Red_toad

Its probably a ransomware attack. But credit card details of fans, access to clubs finance details, wage bill etc, a whole load of confidential emails etc. Could be quite damaging to the club...

Marcus

Glad all seems good. What would be really interesting is if there was an email surfacing from the attack from the Glazers to Woody saying to the effect that he is not to spend any more money than necessary to get 4th place.