Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

b82REZ

The PS5 patch isn't out yet so there's no way it'll run better on the PS5 YET. You're playing the PS4 version with no differences, just maybe more stable/faster.

Hopefully with the true next gen patch they can do something extra, but I think the hype is so high with this game people are naturally going to be disappointed whatever happens.
I know it's not out yet, but Google the pictures of people who have received it early. It has a sticker, that claims PS5 players get an enhanced experience. The wording suggests that's available immediately, but I suppose you could interpret it as eventually PS5 players get an improved experience.

Ainu

Since I'm playing this on PC anyway, I just hope I'm getting the real deal immediately. I believe that's what they've said, but I wouldn't even be surprised if that version also gets some upgrades when the next-gen console versions release. It's a bit of a mess to be honest.

Bojan11

Not a chance it's that late. Id be shocked if it isn't released in Q1. The delays have been caused by getting it to run adequately on previous gen consoles. Updating the PS5 version to closer to the PC version won't take too much work.
DLC and Multiplayer are the priorities as well as fixing any bugs which this will have like most open world games do when they launch.

As for when the upgrade patch will launch, Kicinski is not sure and it could be subject to a delay, but said that CD Projekt Red currently plans to release the update in 2021.

"We are sure that we will deliver it next year, but it was not even internally planned for a certain day, so it’s hard to say whether there is a potential delay of the next-gen.
This was back in June before they delayed it again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know it's not out yet, but Google the pictures of people who have received it early. It has a sticker, that claims PS5 players get an enhanced experience. The wording suggests that's available immediately, but I suppose you could interpret it as eventually PS5 players get an improved experience.
Well it will be enhanced as it'll be faster with the SSD. In terms of a graphical patch though nothing will change until the PS5 patch comes.

Bojan11

PS5 and XSX versions right now will take advantage of the BC features they have now. So for MS, Cyberpunk will take advantage of smart delivery and whatever Sony call their BC programme. Hence the stickers on the box.

But next year there will be a fully fledged next gen version, which you can if you got a capable PC can play it at launch. Hope that explains it.

Shark

@NotShark
Was going to wait for the next gen version but if that performance mode is 60fps at dynamic 4K it'll be very difficult to wait.

Hoof the ball

The level of graphical detail had to have a payoff somewhere. I think lifeless streets will be quite a dent as I was hoping for lots of vibrancy and hustle and bustle.
Weird. Almost all the pre-reviewers stated that their experience of the city didn't give them the impression that the streets was lifeless.

Smores

PS5 and XSX versions right now will take advantage of the BC features they have now. So for MS, Cyberpunk will take advantage of smart delivery and whatever Sony call their BC programme. Hence the stickers on the box.

But next year there will be a fully fledged next gen version, which you can if you got a capable PC can play it at launch. Hope that explains it.
I guess it's best to await the reviews for the differences between PC and the current gen console versions.

I'm still tempted to wait even if there's not much difference given it's a studio that focuses on improvements. I played through Witchers late and glad i did as all the annoyances people had were gone.

Nickosaur

Built my PC about a year ago. Doubt I'll be able to run at max settings but should still look fantastic.

Drifter

American
Someone will bring out a graphic mod for PC to make it look even more stunning.

Kaos

Weird. Almost all the pre-reviewers stated that their experience of the city didn't give them the impression that the streets was lifeless.
I'm guessing they all got the PC version, which I imagine gives the best experience of the lot.

Balljy

Let's hope they were right, would be very disappointing if not.
I was just reading a report (deliberately a non-spoiler one) which reckons that there is a very valid reason why the streets are empty in the specific cases given and that this isn't the case all the time.

In spoilers as there is a very small bit of information which I haven't seen mentioned before but will probably be in most reviews with a screenshot from the PS4 version.

The screenshots of the early game are places in lockdown. Even on PS4 (screenshot below) it is busier in other areas

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I was just reading a report (deliberately a non-spoiler one) which reckons that there is a very valid reason why the streets are empty in the specific cases given and that this isn't the case all the time.

In spoilers as there is a very small bit of information which I haven't seen mentioned before but will probably be in most reviews with a screenshot from the PS4 version.

The screenshots of the early game are places in lockdown. Even on PS4 (screenshot below) it is busier in other areas

That looks ok if it is in fact a lockdown area.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Have they said whether this has dual entitlement?

gormless

Screenshot deleted. What did it say?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

A Warning About ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ Reviews
A Warning About ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ Reviews

When Cyberpunk 2077 finally comes out on December 10, it is destined to be among the biggest games of the year. Not just in terms of sales—that’s more or less inevitable. But also in terms of conversation: especially since this is happening in December with less competition, expect the discourse to go hard and not let up for months. But also, and this is an important point, in terms of sheer scope. A few weeks ago, a QA tester pointed to a still-unfinished 175 hour game, and while this is definitely on the high end, nothing that we’ve seen indicates that this will be anything less than a massive experience. And that matters for reviews.

So far, code distribution seems a little scattered for this game: I obviously can’t speak for every outlet, and I feel confident that some people have probably had a bit more time with it. But I have yet to receive code, and I know that a lot of other people are likely in the same boat. So at that point, even if I get that code right now, as I type this article, it makes it functionally impossible to get a review out for release. Even a little more time—a week or so, maybe—would make the process of slamming through this game in time before either release or an embargo a few days before release a nightmare.

Cyberpunk 2077 has been the subject of plenty of scrutiny regarding crunch in development, but it happens on a much smaller scale when it comes to reviews. Everyone wants to get their reviews out as soon as possible, to hit embargo if that’s a possibility, or release if it’s not. And that means a lot of reviewers are likely powering through a massive experience in ways that few other gamers could ever hope to replicate, pulling multiple 12 hour sessions, mainlining story content and ignoring side stuff, or just sort of warping the experience in manner of ways. Yes, people are going to work hard and do their absolute best to evaluate this game in a reasonable way for you. But there are hurdles along that path.

The most obvious problem is that it just sort of makes your experience of the game worse: if you push past the point where you would have put the game down if it were up to you and play for like, 6 more hours, you’re gonna have a bad time. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the score goes down, because as a reviewer you know that part of that unpleasantness might be because you’re playing the game in an unnatural way, and so you forgive certain sins based on the idea that someone playing this at a more human pace might not experience things in the same way.

On top of that, Stockholm Syndrome can set in after a little while, forcing you to justify this absurd endeavor by giving the entire experience the benefit of the doubt. The last massive game I slammed through for the purposes of hitting embargo was Red Dead Redemption 2, and I’ll be honest that I definitely gave that game a higher score than I should have based on the intensity of the playthrough and writing process warping my experience. I also had a worse time with it, so it’s a real lose/lose there.

Again, I cannot speak for every single outlet out there, and I don’t know if other reviewers have had more time. But I just finished Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla in like 65 hours, and that took me like a month. Others might take more or less time to wrack up that many hours in a single game, but that feels like a reasonable amount of time to take on a massive game. No game, even one as huge as Cyberpunk 2077, is giving people that amount of time before a review.

I’m not saying scores will be higher, or lower, because these things can affect things in all sorts of ways. But if you’re reading a review in the days before or after release, it’s important to note that it was most definitely produced under very different circumstances than what a normal playthrough, so keep that in ming.

C3Pique

If you've played the new Hitman series on Xbox One / PS4 then you'll know that even current gen can handle large crowds. Next gen version will probably also have improved textures etc. From launch. That said if I'm not blown away by this on day one on my XSX I'll probably sell my console before Christmas and pick one up cheaper next year, I literally only bought it to play Cyberpunk over my christmas holidays.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m pretty excited. I’m off on Friday so should be able to absolutely smash it out then. Hope it’s as good as we all anticipate, I do have a feeling that it will deliver on my expectations at least.

Coxy

I’m pretty excited. I’m off on Friday so should be able to absolutely smash it out then. Hope it’s as good as we all anticipate, I do have a feeling that it will deliver on my expectations at least.
I've booked Thursday off - first time I've had a 'gaming' day via annual leave for a long time! The gaming window is 9.15 - 2.30 either side of when I've dropped off my kids / picked them up from school.

TrustInJanuzaj

I've booked Thursday off - first time I've had a 'gaming' day via annual leave for a long time! The gaming window is 9.15 - 2.30 either side of when I've dropped off my kids / picked them up from school.
That’s class mate!

I’ve never done a proper big game digital launch how does it work? Can I play it on 12:00 am on Thursday morning? That’s probably not going to be ideal with work the next day but I may just venture into the first couple hours.

Kaos

That’s class mate!

I’ve never done a proper big game digital launch how does it work? Can I play it on 12:00 am on Thursday morning? That’s probably not going to be ideal with work the next day but I may just venture into the first couple hours.
Yes, assuming you've preloaded the game, you can jump in at midnight on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

Siorac

That’s class mate!

Depends on your platform. If PC, then yes, that's basically it.

If it's a console, then it's midnight local time - if you're inclined, you can mess with the region settings, set your console to New Zealand time, and then start the game on Wednesday afternoon UK time :)

Smores

My last one was Fallout 4, it's great to get a game on launch and be able to plough hours into it.

I'm a bit sad that I'm missing that hype level gaming on this one but Demon souls will keep me busy.

My bigger issue is not being able to game over Xmas as I'm away at the inlaws :mad:

TrustInJanuzaj

Depends on your platform. If PC, then yes, that's basically it.

If it's a console, then it's midnight local time - if you're inclined, you can mess with the region settings, set your console to New Zealand time, and then start the game on Wednesday afternoon UK time :)
Does that actually work? I seem to remember reading you couldn’t do that on PlayStation but can on Xbox but I have no idea if that’s true!

TrustInJanuzaj

Yes, assuming you've preloaded the game, you can jump in at midnight on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.
Okay brilliant I think I read that preloads begin tomorrow (8th) so I’ll download it then and be ready to play abit that evening. Thursday could be a challenge at work but I know I’m off on Friday so I can do a proper session Thursday eve.

Siorac

Does that actually work? I seem to remember reading you couldn’t do that on PlayStation but can on Xbox but I have no idea if that’s true!
I don't actually know if it works but I've seen a fair few people suggest it. I don't know if the PlayStation just believes you when you tell it the region or the wifi gives the game away but hey, it's worth a try. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and you have to wait.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've got from Thursday off til 23rd December :drool:

Was essentially fighting to keep my job all year so barely used any holiday.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Dang, ordered off cdkeys and they aren't sending the activation code til release day - so much for a preload :(