Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If I were to add a 2060 super to the rig what CPU would you recommend?
To be honest you can throw a 2060 in that rig and be competitive with the consoles this whole gen. Especially with an easy overclock on it the i5.

If you can push for a 3070, even with a bottleneck, you'll be laughing and can easily last out for as long as you want whilst you save/decide on a CPU upgrade.

SuperiorXI

To be honest you can throw a 2060 in that rig and be competitive with the consoles this whole gen. Especially with an easy overclock on it the i5.

If you can push for a 3070, even with a bottleneck, you'll be laughing and can easily last out for as long as you want whilst you save/decide on a CPU upgrade.
Sorry I don't know much about how the bottlenecking works, I only understand from a basic point of view. I used this site: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ and it is saying I'll be bottlenecked by almost 50%(!), is that a load of bollocks?

Redlambs

Sorry I don't know much about how the bottlenecking works, I only understand from a basic point of view. I used this site: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ and it is saying I'll be bottlenecked by almost 50%(!), is that a load of bollocks?
Yes. Those calculators are largely nonsense as they can't possibly take into account the system configuration and in game settings. For example, say you have a 1080p monitor, if you run at a 1080 screen resolution you might get a higher bottleneck as the CPU is taking the work, however if you force the card to work at higher resolutions (which then sample down to 1080 for your monitor), your card takes over the grunt and the bottleneck drops substantially. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is, but like I explained in one the console threads about the new machines, pushing these things harder actually gets you way better results.

For example, my 3070 on an 6 year old i7 is bottlenecking, however those sites said up to 40% (and it can't run at 1080 :lol:)and I'm getting actually getting around 10% at most. And even then, even at 40%, it's still a massive upgrade and lets me chill until next year to decide what CPU I want. I'm certainly in no rush though, as my ancient rig now beats the consoles in power. Comfortably too.

SuperiorXI

Yes. Those calculators are largely nonsense as they can't possibly take into account the system configuration and in game settings. For example, say you have a 1080p monitor, if you run at a 1080 screen resolution you might get a higher bottleneck as the CPU is taking the work, however if you force the card to work at higher resolutions (which then sample down to 1080 for your monitor), your card takes over the grunt and the bottleneck drops substantially. It sounds way more complicated than it actually is, but like I explained in one the console threads about the new machines, pushing these things harder actually gets you way better results.

For example, my 3070 on an 6 year old i7 is bottlenecking, however those sites said up to 40% (and it can't run at 1080 :lol:)and I'm getting actually getting around 10% at most. And even then, even at 40%, it's still a massive upgrade and lets me chill until next year to decide what CPU I want. I'm certainly in no rush though, as my ancient rig now beats the consoles in power. Comfortably too.
Thanks for the info. Should I upgrade the GPU I'll hold off on the CPU for now, lets see how the game performs!

Redlambs

Thanks for the info. Should I upgrade the GPU I'll hold off on the CPU for now, lets see how the game performs!
I'd recommend the extra for the 3070 for sure, considering how much you'll pay for the 2060, but the 2060 is still a great card anyway. Also, even a 500gb ssd for games will only cost peanuts compared to what they used to and will make the world of difference.

Whatever way you go, with one of those cards, your i5 still has plenty of life until you decide the next upgrade.

Woodzy

Ordered now. I’m excited for it, but I also can’t be arsed for it at the same time.

Kaos

If I were to add a 2060 super to the rig what CPU would you recommend?
I'd echo lambs and suggest you skip the 20x range and just go for the 30x card, either the 3060 or 3070 if your budget can extend to it. Your CPU will likely be fine. If you do fancy upgrading it though, I'd go for something like the Ryzen 5 which is a very good, inexpensive option. But bear in mind you'll need a new mobo too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I keep reading how the base PS4 is gonna struggle badly with it. My one already sounds like a jet engine with most games so I can only imagine the strain Cyberpunk will put on it.
Base PS4 should be fine. I mean, this was the companies intention to make it a game for that generation.

Graphic comparison.
PS4 PRO
Base PS4

AaronRedDevil

I’m worried this game isn’t going to live up to the hype. The wait was far too long and it only builds up anticipation. Hope it’s not one of those games where the story is generic but there’s a millions things to do. Hopefully more like Witcher 3. Right balance of main story and side missions.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I’m worried this game isn’t going to live up to the hype. The wait was far too long and it only builds up anticipation. Hope it’s not one of those games where the story is generic but there’s a millions things to do. Hopefully more like Witcher 3. Right balance of main story and side missions.
I'm reasonably confident this will be a very good game and will play well, while looking great, on all platforms.

Nickosaur

Of course some people will overhype it, but from the previews I've read and seen, it's clear these is going to be an absolutely outstanding game. If you love action RPGs in a really interesting setting, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not sure how it can live up to the hype generated for it. The Witcher 3 had the advantage of being much better than people expected it to be, this is expected to basically be the best game of the generation and people will be disappointed.

I've also seen previews say it's way more RPG than FPS and you can go hours in the game without a gunfight. I imagine that'll be a shock to the system for "mainstream" gamers expecting a big action packed shoot em up.

Personally, I can't wait. I'm pretty sure I'll love it, flaws and all.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm not sure how it can live up to the hype generated for it. The Witcher 3 had the advantage of being much better than people expected it to be, this is expected to basically be the best game of the generation and people will be disappointed.

I've also seen previews say it's way more RPG than FPS and you can go hours in the game without a gunfight. I imagine that'll be a shock to the system for "mainstream" gamers expecting a big action packed shoot em up.

For me that's quite reassuring as I'm utterly horrendous on FPS.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

It's been marketed as an RPG though so can't see that being too much of an issue. The story and how your actions affect the world has always been the most important part of any RPG with the combat etc coming lower down the list.

Bosws87

Will be a good thing as one things for sure is cdprojekt are terrible at making decent combat. Witcher combat is extremely shallow and the shooting on cyberpunk looks dreadful, better they stick to what they are good at.

Last edited:

evil_geko

Of course it wont live up to the hype, because hype for this game is biggest I have ever seen, no game would live up to this amount of hype.

I am not that much hyped myself, expecting very good RPG aspect of this game, I don't really care that much how gunplay feels etc. CDPR isn't exactly famous for their good gameplay, but world building and RPG aspect.

If people expect some FPS style gameplay and/or GTA similar game, which I saw a lot of GTA comparisons which is mind boggling, they shouldn't even bother with the game.

RedDevilRoshi

Precisely why I’ve not pre-ordered it yet. Will wait for the reviews to come in first and then take it from there.

SuperiorXI

Not personally arsed about the gunplay, not exactly into those types of games anyway, they're all too samey and there's loads of them out there right now. If you want a great FPS I doubt this will be it. The combat will likely be second in priority to the RPG mechanics.

Looking forward to it but have reservations. Hype isn't really high right now as I managed to avoid all the BS online.

I'm hoping for a Deus Ex/Bladerunner-type experience!

Kaos

I expect the gunplay to be underwhelming since CDPR haven't ever worked on an FPS, and they've stressed this being an RPG above all. Personally I'm ok with that since I tend to focus my skills on hacking/stealth/conversations in these sort of games.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don't have any expectations, therefore I will just be a normal level of whelmed.

SuperiorXI

I expect the gunplay to be underwhelming since CDPR haven't ever worked on an FPS, and they've stressed this being an RPG above all. Personally I'm ok with that since I tend to focus my skills on hacking/stealth/conversations in these sort of games.
Have they done stealth much before? Don't remember much of that in TW3.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No stealth doesn't really exist in the Witcher, I suspect it will be fairly basic again in Cyberpunk but maybe made better by some of the tech upgrades/hacking mechanics.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Combat wasn't all that in Witcher 3, to be honest. Thought the sword-fighting felt very floaty and lightweight.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Combat wasn't all that in Witcher 3, to be honest. Thought the sword-fighting felt very floaty and lightweight.
It wasn't amazing but it wasn't awful either - it was fun enough and had different strategies you could use which is really all you need. It is the world building and the story that really made that a great game and I'm hoping it will be the same for Cyberpunk.

I can see a lot of people buying it thinking its going to be an AAA FPS and being disappointed though.

Kaos

By stealth I meant the Deus Ex approach - i.e hacking, finding alternate routes as opposed to the guns blazing approach. Not really expecting Splinter Cell/Hitman mechanics.

SuperiorXI

By stealth I meant the Deus Ex approach - i.e hacking, finding alternate routes as opposed to the guns blazing approach. Not really expecting Splinter Cell/Hitman mechanics.
Yeah same I'm hoping at least the AI isn't stupid enough to let you wander around in crouch mode without being seen. Here's hoping.

TrustInJanuzaj

I still enjoy Skyrim but again more for the world rather than the kinda rubbish combat. Fallout I just don't enjoy at all.
I'm with you on that, I still play Skyrim even today, its brilliant.

TrustInJanuzaj

Fallout 4's gunplay is actually quite decent.

The rest of the game, on the other hand...
You reckon? The gunplay is pretty poor mainly because the animations and stuff are so bad. Doesn't feel like any of your hits really register.