Gaming Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4/5, Xbox One)

Ainu

Yes, they confirmed that last night. I was going off what they previously said.

Anyway here’s what they said last night

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ll-get-day-one-patch-to-work-on-playstation-5
So looks like I’d be playing this in 2021. Could play it on PC, but even that I gather will get a big update next year.
That's good news. Not completely surprising as they have a history of providing enormous updates for free, such as The Witcher 2's enhanced edition. Interesting that PC will also get an update. I'm still going to play it on PC directly after release, it'll look phenomenal anyway.

evil_geko

Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Livestream

New gameplay footage etc.

EDIT: Well, that was underwhelming.

Last edited:

evil_geko

^ That's more like it, cheers. There will be tons of hands-on gameplay today on youtube.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The actual gameplay looks very heavily borrowed from Riddick. I mean I loved that game, but it's not exactly fresh.

I hope the stealth and melee aren't as simplistic/boring as they look there and it's another case of avoid all perks as they make things way too easy.

Siorac

Fps rpgs exist. And are generally excellent.
The point is that the game is not based around gunplay, it's merely one gameplay element. Battlefield, Call of Duty or Rainbow Six Siege are based around gunplay.

Deus Ex, for example, is an excellent FPS RPG (and clearly one of the inspirations here) and it's not built around gunplay and shooting at all. In fact, you could say that individually, all of its gameplay elements are quite mediocre. It's the choices, the flexibility of gameplay, the characters, the story that elevate that game, not its individual mechanics.

I think and hope it will be the same here. It certainly was the case with the Witcher 3: it had competent combat that wasn't going to win any awards; an "investigation" thing (the Witcher sense) that wasn't very exciting in itself; a card game where your starting deck quickly became insanely OP; horse riding and boxing which, again, were competently done but nothing more. It was the combination of all these, the available options, and of course the living breathing world and its characters that made the game the masterpiece it was.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Everyone I’ve seen that has played it early are super excited about it. They may just be pushing an agenda though, of course.

edit: /s

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Actually mechanics weren’t strong side of Witcher 3 either. Immense world and great writing were. I’d be hoping for the same in Cyberpunk when it’s released next year.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The point is that the game is not based around gunplay, it's merely one gameplay element. Battlefield, Call of Duty or Rainbow Six Siege are based around gunplay.

Deus Ex, for example, is an excellent FPS RPG (and clearly one of the inspirations here) and it's not built around gunplay and shooting at all. In fact, you could say that individually, all of its gameplay elements are quite mediocre. It's the choices, the flexibility of gameplay, the characters, the story that elevate that game, not its individual mechanics.

I think and hope it will be the same here. It certainly was the case with the Witcher 3: it had competent combat that wasn't going to win any awards; an "investigation" thing (the Witcher sense) that wasn't very exciting in itself; a card game where your starting deck quickly became insanely OP; horse riding and boxing which, again, were competently done but nothing more. It was the combination of all these, the available options, and of course the living breathing world and its characters that made the game the masterpiece it was.
I disagree, the gameplay elements in the Witcher held it back if anything as a game. Apart from gwent. That game was made great with the atmosphere, acting, attention to detail and the experience.

There's no reason to think we shouldn't expect better from this. I mean sure it's harsh to expect perfection, but settling for mediocre and accepting it before even launch seems a bit odd. I mean looking at it, and even that "positive" video above, the guy is basically saying all the individual gameplay elements are ok. That's it, ok.

But hopefully this conversation is moot and the game is great!

Siorac

I disagree, the gameplay elements in the Witcher held it back if anything as a game. Apart from gwent. That game was made great with the atmosphere, acting, attention to detail and the experience.

There's no reason to think we shouldn't expect better from this. I mean sure it's harsh to expect perfection, but settling for mediocre and accepting it before even launch seems a bit odd. I mean looking at it, and even that "positive" video above, the guy is basically saying all the individual gameplay elements are ok. That's it, ok.

But hopefully this conversation is moot and the game is great!
I'm a bit confused by the first paragraph: you say you disagree and then proceed to agree with me. The Witcher 3 gameplay mechanics were competent at best and it was all the other stuff that elevated it. Maybe I phrased it poorly.

I expect OK to good gameplay from CDProjektRed. Expecting fresh, revolutionary gameplay mechanics from them is futile imo: that's not what they're good at. It's like expecting deep and intricate stories from Nintendo, or wanting Bioware to endorse white supremacists, or asking Ubisoft to make a game where you don't capture towers on a big map.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Looks great just alittle apprehensive how it would look and function on my old noisy PS4.

Nickosaur

Very excited for this. Will be my first major PC gaming purchase having built a PC earlier this year.

Played games like Football Manager and Subnautica but very little to properly test my machine.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
The actual gameplay looks very heavily borrowed from Riddick. I mean I loved that game, but it's not exactly fresh.

I hope the stealth and melee aren't as simplistic/boring as they look there and it's another case of avoid all perks as they make things way too easy.
Riddick is one of my favourite single player campaigns of all time . I loved that game yet it is rarely ever mentioned these days. I was young when I played it though so it could just be nostalgia at this point.

Bojan11

Why are people saying the graphics look bad?

It was streamed, so of course the graphics are going to take a hit.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Riddick is one of my favourite single player campaigns of all time . I loved that game yet it is rarely ever mentioned these days. I was young when I played it though so it could just be nostalgia at this point.
Escape from butcher Bay was awesome in the day.

evil_geko

I don't know, the gunplay looks much better than the old gameplay footage they showed.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This tweet has given me the right expectations for the game now. I just hope the gunplay is at least decent.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I mean if it's a 100+ hour game where the primary mode of combat is shooting guns then the gunplay really needs to be good. Story can only get you so far.

Mass Effect 2 lacked the quality story of the first but the gunplay was so much better that it made it a better game overall (I know some will disagree but feck you).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well I’m going to wait until release and see how it is then. Mad I know.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This tweet has given me the right expectations for the game now. I just hope the gunplay is at least decent.

I mean, this much was obvious from the getgo. The strengths of this game are going to be very similar to The Witcher 3 — freedom of choice; a vibrant living world; rich side quests etc.

The combat, much like TW3, is probably going to be average. And that will lead to similar criticisms. But almost certainly the same level of praise on everything else.