D-Day for Ole Saturday Nov 7th.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Ole being a success was the stuff of dreams, it would have been amazing.
The football at times was better than anything we had with the previous three managers but just not consistent enough unfortunately.

I'll be really sad if he goes but needs must

Lentwood

Appointing Ole when we did was the right thing to do and he’s done a lot of good in his time at the club.

The problem is, tactically we are all over the place. Clearly Ole is trying to make us more offensive but I’m just not sure he’s go the ideas or the coaching skills to pull it off.

He did exceptionally well to finish 3rd last season with the likes of Pereira, Lingard, James and Mata featuring regularly but this squad, especially when fully fit, should be much better than it is currently showing

I said from the beginning we should consider Ole to be a kind of long-term caretaker, managing us through a period if transition. I think now might be the time to look at a manager who can really take us to the next level

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think we're using too long, keeping managers beyond probable expiring date. If Poch can't get a tune out of Phil Jones and Lingard in the space of 3 months that should be enough time to make a decision. No reason to waste a season playing some of the dross we've got unless he can prove himself at such a huge club with inferior players.

Foxbatt

I think we're using too long, keeping managers beyond probable expiring date. If Poch can't get a tune out of Phil Jones and Lingard in the space of 3 months that should be enough time to make a decision. No reason to waste a season playing some of the dross we've got unless he can prove himself at such a huge club with inferior players.
Not even the top surgeon in the world can get a tune out of Phil Jones.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Have to respectfully disagree here. Where you say that not enough time has passed for something significant to have taken place, that right there is the problem. There is no change and there won't be with Ole. Last night was us performing as usual against a team that didn't attack with more numbers like RB and PSG.

The major problem is systemic, it has been for most of Ole's reign, he can only play well on the break because he has no cohesive, well rehearsed attacking moves like the coaching teams of Bayern, Liverpool, City etc. He appears to let the players improvise, which given space against a team throwing numbers at us, and with our pace, they can do and look devastating.

But it's a different story against teams who are more cautious and we don't have those well rehearsed moves that become second nature to allow our attacking game to be quick enough to create the spaces needed.

Ole seems a great guy and his commitment is beyond doubt. I believe he's got a vision of what a good team looks like but he's not good enough to know how to get there. Sad but true.

With regard to blaming the players not following instructions, well of course that looks bad on them and appears true but it also reflects terribly on Ole too.

A manager's principle tasks are to motivate the team and structure them to get a sum better than that of the individual parts..... he's falling well short on both counts which is a shame as I really like him and his stint in charge only adds to his legend (there have been positives and high points) but it's time to call this as done.
A good post and i appreciate the polite discourse.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not even the top surgeon in the world can get a tune out of Phil Jones.
It depends on the narrative. It's actually not that long ago that a few good folks still had high hopes for him, not that long ago.

AneRu

Should be gone win or lose, while the season can still be saved.
Agree with this completely, there is no reason keeping a poor manager on the basis of one good result. If you have lost confidence then one result shouldn't be enough to change a board's decision because that one game doesn't guarantee that you won't lose the next four so these ultimatums are just as damaging.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Have to respectfully disagree here. Where you say that not enough time has passed for something significant to have taken place, that right there is the problem. There is no change and there won't be with Ole. Last night was us performing as usual against a team that didn't attack with more numbers like RB and PSG.

The major problem is systemic, it has been for most of Ole's reign, he can only play well on the break because he has no cohesive, well rehearsed attacking moves like the coaching teams of Bayern, Liverpool, City etc. He appears to let the players improvise, which given space against a team throwing numbers at us, and with our pace, they can do and look devastating.

But it's a different story against teams who are more cautious and we don't have those well rehearsed moves that become second nature to allow our attacking game to be quick enough to create the spaces needed.

Ole seems a great guy and his commitment is beyond doubt. I believe he's got a vision of what a good team looks like but he's not good enough to know how to get there. Sad but true.

With regard to blaming the players not following instructions, well of course that looks bad on them and appears true but it also reflects terribly on Ole too.

A manager's principle tasks are to motivate the team and structure them to get a sum better than that of the individual parts..... he's falling well short on both counts which is a shame as I really like him and his stint in charge only adds to his legend (there have been positives and high points) but it's time to call this as done.
Spot on. Agree with every word. Worth a like at least scouts.

Foxbatt

It depends on the narrative. It's actually not that long ago that a few good folks still had high hopes for him, not that long ago.
He is not a bad player. Just injury prone. Any one is going to make mistakes if they do not play regularly.

AFC NimbleThumb

We’re winning 5-1; it’s all part of our rinse repeat cycle under him.

When his backs against the ropes we suddenly turn in a performance.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is not a bad player. Just injury prone. Any one is going to make mistakes if they do not play regularly.
I disagree. He is a bad player. Injuries hasn't been an excuse for him since SAF left actually. You won the original argument.

croadyman

We’re winning 5-1; it’s all part of our rinse repeat cycle under him.

When his backs against the ropes we suddenly turn in a performance.
Yeah only gotta look at City & Spurs in the same week last December to see that

Judas

Open to offers

This really does sum it up perfectly for me.

choccy77

What's scary is, Bruno came in and was pretty much world class and now this season he has dipped and then totally sunk in that last performance.

We have literally turned him into a bad player.

Enigma_87

You know who
Appointing Ole when we did was the right thing to do and he’s done a lot of good in his time at the club.

The problem is, tactically we are all over the place. Clearly Ole is trying to make us more offensive but I’m just not sure he’s go the ideas or the coaching skills to pull it off.

He did exceptionally well to finish 3rd last season with the likes of Pereira, Lingard, James and Mata featuring regularly but this squad, especially when fully fit, should be much better than it is currently showing

I said from the beginning we should consider Ole to be a kind of long-term caretaker, managing us through a period if transition. I think now might be the time to look at a manager who can really take us to the next level
280m spent and a team that most likely the next manager will again chop and change, whilst in the meantime winning feck all and most likely just like Jose’s last season we will miss out on CL is what I call a complete waste of time.

One very expensive caretaker.

Revaulx

Perhaps a more pressing concern is how come a team that batted PSG and Leipzig looks so impossibly worn down against a inferior side. Not enough time has passed since that game for something significant to have taken place. This is entirely on the players and their inability to play at the best of their ability.

I WANT this manager to be succesful. As a Norwegian fan I have a significantly closer relationship to this particular manager than most fans. On top of that I absolutely LOATHE the trend in modern football where managers are sacked with regular intervals. I want dynaties, not changing of the guard every 3-4 years.

Fact of the matter is that Ole, like most managers have a 90% chance of getting sacked. Extremely few are so successful that they are in the job longer than 5 years, or even want hte job longer than that.

Any new manager is just another revolving door. Poch in fans will be happy that the team played so poorly their darling got the job, Ole in fans will be loathe that the team played so poorly their darling lost the job. Resentment builds as "in your face" threads and posts populate the boards, making this place even more insufferable than it is today. People just can't help themselves.

To see fans here actually wishing for a poor result in the league makes me physically ill. If I ran these boards I would ban the lot you. You have free speech, but not freedom against consequences. Ever single one of you that ever go into a game hoping we lose, you are the worst type of fan i can imagine. Please reply so I can add you to my ignore list if this is you.

This entire situation is heartbreaking.
That’s a really touching post, and has made me understand why I always really enjoy reading your views despite rarely agreeing with them. I get every bit as frustrated by the players’ apparent lack of professional pride as you do, but it’s clear that the ones recruited while Ole’s been manager are no different in this regard from those who were here when he arrived, and Ed Woodward‘s cultural reset has had little impact.

Having first seriously followed United just as Wilf was on the way out I got used to regular managerial changes early on, and have always rather enjoyed them as they’ve at least given hope of a better future!

Lentwood

280m spent and a team that most likely the next manager will again chop and change, whilst in the meantime winning feck all and most likely just like Jose’s last season we will miss out on CL is what I call a complete waste of time.

Its not though because the squad Ole will leave will be in much better shape than the squad left by Jose or LvG

Enigma_87

You know who
Its not though because the squad Ole will leave will be in much better shape than the squad left by Jose or LvG
How do you reckon? We spent 300m players and I have high doubts players like AWB and Maguire for example will be useful for attacking manager in a high line.
We are saturated with 6-7 CM’s, again short on CB, have basically no attacking right wing because we bought a defensive right back.

This team would suit best a negative manager that employs a low block and hits you on counter, but I doubt that would be something the Caf would like?

AFC NimbleThumb

Concise.

wolvored

He’s improved so many players, he’s got us playing well and he finished third.

Most of the cafe saying last year we would challenge.

Now after a few PL games he should leave, absolute bollocks.

I’d give him two more seasons at least. A reset isn’t a short process.

We need stability, sacking him mid season isn’t right, please don’t do it Eddie.
WUM

RedNed77

Agreed, personally I like Ole and don’t want to see us give him the bullet yet, but he is running out of time. I’d be more concerned if any new manager wants to come in and start again with another rebuild. (I think we have a really good side which they show from time to time, Ole just needs to be getting a better tune out of it on a more regular basis). I’d be especially worried if we brought Poch in and gave him free reign to sign who he wants, he left that Spurs team in an awful state.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ole being a success was the stuff of dreams, it would have been amazing.
The football at times was better than anything we had with the previous three managers but just not consistent enough unfortunately.

I'll be really sad if he goes but needs must
I’d be happy to call his time here a success to be honest. We’ve played better football at times, and in my opinion improved the attitude of the squad. Something much more experienced managers didn’t achieve.

Call it a success and pointing us in the right direction, and move on at the right time, instead of waiting til it all goes horribly sour like we probably will.

SAFMUTD

I’d be happy to call his time here a success to be honest. We’ve played better football at times, and in my opinion improved the attitude of the squad.
Well if thats success for a club like Manchester United then we totally deserve our current situation.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If he wants to, then we should appoint him just to be able to sack him immediately for that.
:lol: :lol: You are the first Poch out. Congratulations. Can we start a poll?

VivaRonaldo85

I’m not even sure the result matters on Saturday now. Just feels a sense of inevitability from supporters and the media. Plus we had the dreaded vote of confidence today from the Board. In fact if we do win on Saturday, it just delays the inevitable and kicks the can down the street for another month or so.

If Poch is the man to get the job, he should be purring at the individual talent he has at his disposal when he walks through the doors of Carrington. This lot just need a stable system they all understand and get properly coached into a cohesive drilled team. Big job.

Jibbs

I hope they get rid of him asap along with his coaching staff... and kick out Pogba in Jan.

LVGSdive

I don't think he will be fired even if we lose on Saturday.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well if thats success for a club like Manchester United then we totally deserve our current situation.
We were in dire need of improvement in terms of personnel. We have depth now. We have some fantastic young players and some promising signings, and overall we have a better attitude throughout.

We might not be ready to win the PL but in my eyes he’s successfully steered us in the right direction. What would not be a success, would be keeping him too long and letting it all go to shit before levelling up.

SAFMUTD

We were in dire need of improvement in terms of personnel. We have depth now. We have some fantastic young players and some promising signings, and overall we have a better attitude throughout.

We might not be ready to win the PL but in my eyes he’s successfully steered us in the right direction. What would not be a success, would be keeping him too long and letting it all go to shit before levelling up.
We have depth but thats not something we can give credit or blame Ole for, having depth or not is on the board. Also the argument on us having depth is pretty debatable, we dont have any natural right winger in the team, in defence besides Tuanzabe who is a gamble and must prove he can stay injury free we dont really have any depth for the CB position. In midfield we have numbers but not enough quality it seems, Matic, Fred, McTominay are all ok players. Squad level players but none can claim theyre actually god enough to nail their place in the starting XI.

In attack we added Cavani and hopefully he can be a good back up to Martial and we have VdB that can cover for Bruno but what about Rashford? if he gets injured who is his back up? James? thats pretty good damn poor. While we're not in a depth crisis I dont think we could say we have a solid squad.

About having fantastic young players, we have always had fantastic promising players of course the jewel of the crown right now is Greenwood but appart from him I dont think we can name others that are truly special that we can be more excited than usual, and again its not something we can give credit or blame Ole for.

Promising signings I dont know about that, every player when first arrives seems like the next big thing but as time passes they seem to regress, AWB, Maguire, James, heck even Bruno looked way better when they first arrived. Regarding VdB, Pellestri, Diallo and Cavani is way too early to tell.

Regarding a better attitude I agree with you, despite the awful form, performances and results the attitude in the squad is not toxic, which I dont know if its a good or a bad thing. I mean having the toxicity we had under the last days of Mourinho was awful but I dont think having a happy squad with the current results is healthy either. It seems our squad is not worried about it, they dont feel preassure and that comes from the manager. I expect any ambicious team with our current results having internal problems, players mad at each other, its only normal when some players feel others are not contributing as they should. I expected some more moments like Bruno yelling and fighting with Lindelof, but different from that everyone in the squad seems, if not happy, at least ok about it.

Yeah after each game we hear the same "its not good enough, we are Manchester United" bullshit repeated over and over. I think this has to do with Ole, the fact that he has so many extra points in fans eyes because of his past and legend status as a player eases the preassure on him and is allowing mediocrity in to the team.

I dont know about you but I felt way closer to big titles after Mourinho's second season when we finished 2nd than at this point, I think all the "caretaker manager which will build the bases on which the next manager will actually win trophies" argument is pure bullshit just to ease preassure on the fact that Ole wont win shit. I dont think a club of the greatness like Manchester United can give itself the luxury of having a "transition" manager for over 2 years.

Slysi17

In my eyes, Ole is done. Sacked after Everton I think. The news we have approached Pochettino and he is willing to be the new manager suggests Ole's days are numbered

Slysi17

I
The club can't afford to have no Champions League money next season with the covid uncertainty, he will get sacked soon
I have said this thing in other threads and people have disagreed with me say no we will wait till top 4 is mathematically impossible. People don't realize this covid thing makes next season uncertain. The owners won't want to miss out on champions league football next season so will sack Ole especially since Pochettino is available for free. I imagine it will be pretty cheap to sack Ole compared to the previous managers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We have depth but thats not something we can give credit or blame Ole for, having depth or not is on the board. Also the argument on us having depth is pretty debatable, we dont have any natural right winger in the team, in defence besides Tuanzabe who is a gamble and must prove he can stay injury free we dont really have any depth for the CB position. In midfield we have numbers but not enough quality it seems, Matic, Fred, McTominay are all ok players. Squad level players but none can claim theyre actually god enough to nail their place in the starting XI.

In attack we added Cavani and hopefully he can be a good back up to Martial and we have VdB that can cover for Bruno but what about Rashford? if he gets injured who is his back up? James? thats pretty good damn poor. While we're not in a depth crisis I dont think we could say we have a solid squad.

About having fantastic young players, we have always had fantastic promising players of course the jewel of the crown right now is Greenwood but appart from him I dont think we can name others that are truly special that we can be more excited than usual, and again its not something we can give credit or blame Ole for.

Promising signings I dont know about that, every player when first arrives seems like the next big thing but as time passes they seem to regress, AWB, Maguire, James, heck even Bruno looked way better when they first arrived. Regarding VdB, Pellestri, Diallo and Cavani is way too early to tell.

Regarding a better attitude I agree with you, despite the awful form, performances and results the attitude in the squad is not toxic, which I dont know if its a good or a bad thing. I mean having the toxicity we had under the last days of Mourinho was awful but I dont think having a happy squad with the current results is healthy either. It seems our squad is not worried about it, they dont feel preassure and that comes from the manager. I expect any ambicious team with our current results having internal problems, players mad at each other, its only normal when some players feel others are not contributing as they should. I expected some more moments like Bruno yelling and fighting with Lindelof, but different from that everyone in the squad seems, if not happy, at least ok about it.

Yeah after each game we hear the same "its not good enough, we are Manchester United" bullshit repeated over and over. I think this has to do with Ole, the fact that he has so many extra points in fans eyes because of his past and legend status as a player eases the preassure on him and is allowing mediocrity in to the team.

I dont know about you but I felt way closer to big titles after Mourinho's second season when we finished 2nd than at this point, I think all the "caretaker manager which will build the bases on which the next manager will actually win trophies" argument is pure bullshit just to ease preassure on the fact that Ole wont win shit. I dont think a club of the greatness like Manchester United can give itself the luxury of having a "transition" manager for over 2 years.
I think not giving Ole any credit for the depth is harsh, considering transfers are pretty much always credited to the manager, although I'm sure in most instances there's more to it. Plus previous managers with us did far worse. I'm not saying we're perfect in terms of it, but we have to bare in mind we've had next to zero depth for years, with the likes of Pereira coming off the bench.

James was a misfire. It happens to every manager though. Cavani is a stop gap, and personally, although I'd rather we sign all our players at 24, ready to go in to their prime and give me some flipping enjoyment without having to wait years for it, or see them in their twilight years, I'm fine with the odd addition to bolster the squad like this, especially if there aren't other options available, or the board is being tight.

All the other positions and issues mentioned surely are down to the board though. We definitely haven't done enough to improve the side, which is pretty frustrating. I highly doubt that was Ole's choice.

I don't feel close to big titles, but I do feel we are better set to build something that may end up there. I'm definitely not saying he's been an out and out success, by any stretch, but I could look at his time positively here if the club is proactive and moves on before it's too late. I'm not blind to the negatives and Ole's failings, but he may have been a positive step.

archiebald

He is a terrible player.
He always had a mistake in him but used to have the athleticism and hustle to compensate for it somewhat - like in that famous GIF against Giroud. Injuries have taken their toll and he doesn't have those attributes anymore, yet the braindead moments are still waiting to happen.

Roboc7

Think Ole will play a back 3 and two holding midfielders and get a result just to keep prolonging the inevitable. He’s reached that stage where it’s clear he has no plan and there’s no progress but will be allowed to drag this out.

I can only see him going after the Everton game if we get thrashed, even a narrow defeat keeps him in the job.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
How much time will a win against Everton buy Ole? Surely, the board has realised that he is out of his depth at United? One result won't (shouldn't) change that.

Framing this game as the "ultimate decider on Ole's fate" obviously fits the media narrative but the writing was on the wall for a long time.