Music Daft Punk

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Saw my mate be accused of being a Daft Punk fanboy for liking the album, I'd argue its the opposite. The fanboys might feel let down. I was no huge fan of Daft Punk all those years ago, and love this album.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't think I could enjoy 'Get Lucky' any more than I already do, but the album version is quality.

Dante

Average bang
Saw my mate be accused of being a Daft Punk fanboy for liking the album, I'd argue its the opposite. The fanboys might feel let down. I was no huge fan of Daft Punk all those years ago, and love this album.
I'd agree. It's a lot more accessible than their previous work, which some may view as a bad thing. I don't.

Levo

Band of Brothers
Just had a first listen through, favourites were Instant Crush, Lose Yourself To Dance, Fragments Of Time & Doin' It Right.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Doin' It Right is such a silly song. And I love it :drool:

"Doin' it right, everybody will be dancing." Simple's always best. There's a football song in that melody for someone. I nominate Wilfried Zaha.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think the chorus to Instant Crush is possibly the catchiest thing I've heard in ages

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Lose Yourself To Dance with the 'Come on come on come on' in the background is awesome.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
None of it is anywhere near as good as this -

But it's OK on first listening.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I think it's brilliant, to be honest.

It's not like 'Discovery' or 'Homework', but how boring would it have been for them to remake that sound again?

It's not an album full of club bangers, but more an album you listen to during a barbecue in summer. It's funky as shit, some of these tracks will get you dancing. There's nnoo ddoobbtt aabboott tha'.
I know I'll be grilling meat to this baby. It's cool beans.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't get why people are saying it's not 'dancey' enough. Give Life Back to Music, Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, Get Lucky (obviously), Doin' it Right and Contact all had me wanting to dance. The whole album's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Very refreshing release considering dance music was getting a bit stale and faddy.

KiD MoYeS

I don't get why people are saying it's not 'dancey' enough. Give Life Back to Music, Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, Get Lucky (obviously), Doin' it Right and Contact all had me wanting to dance. The whole album's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Very refreshing release considering dance music was getting a bit stale and faddy.
Because it's not as 'house' as their previous work. The funk will definitely get people dancing though.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because it's not as 'house' as their previous work. The funk will definitely get people dancing though.
It's something that I've said about 'fans' of many bands, but why do people expect everything they release to sound the same? Of other bands I like, it was criticism aimed at Pendulum when Immersion came out with people complaining of it not sounding enough like Hold Your Colour, every time Enter Shikari release something new people complain that they were better in their Take to the Skies days, and now loads of people are complaining that RAM doesn't sound enough like Discovery/Homework. On the other end of the spectrum, I was really disappointed by Crystal Castle's third album because it was more of the same and I felt that I'd heard it all before, but better.

I also don't think that it not being as 'house' is the reason for a lot of people either. The amount of "where's the drop?" comments I've seen make it seem like a load of brostep ragers were expecting some sort of dubstep, drum n bass, house, trap, moombahton mess.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I honestly don't give a feck that it's not a copy of Discovery and Homework actually, I take each album for what it is, a new piece of work by the artist, and I'm very happy that they would try something new. But I'm going to judge it on its merits and not simply applaud them for "not doing another house album". I think it's great they went a new direction, it took me by surprise which I enjoy when watching/reading/hearing any kind of art, and it was refreshing. Those saying it will be a standout during this summers' barbecues have got it perfectly right.

However, I don't think everything about it is great and I don't think it deserves to be mentioned as a 'masterpiece'. It lacks true identity, a real defining trait to it, of course it's very funky, but some tracks along the way such as Motherboard feel out of place and reek of filler material.

I'm being voluntarily harsh in my take on the album: though Daft Punk aren't my favourite band ever, I think they're incredibly talented guys and after such a long time away from the public eye, I was truly expecting something flawless and impeccable. God knows they've had the time to work on it. I just don't feel they reach those levels of excellence with Random Access Memories which is still a very very good album and will no doubt be in everyone's top 10 come the end of the year, and had any other band come up with this I'd probably be wanking over it (after all, I must have listened to it 5 times in 24 hours, which does tell you that I enjoy it).

KiD MoYeS

Different isn't nessecerily better, agreed.

I don't think this is a masterpiece, no. But I think it's a brilliant throw back to disco, and some if the funkiest tracks I've heard in a long time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I've listened to it once now and besides Get Lucky only Motherboard and the last song have grabbed me. The one with Paul Williams (am I getting that right) was also decent.
The first two songs I was actually unimpressed by.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's a fecking brilliant album. If I had one complaint it's that the 80s funk sounds a bit samey from song to song but there's a few stomers on there. Georgio is a fantastic track, the hefty drop coinciding with the classical crescendo is inspired.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good album, but it has been seriously over-hyped. Think that hype got to me a bit, I was expecting something really amazing, so it was slightly underwhelming. Still, it is good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If I had to take an educated guess as to whether Liam Gallagher could write Get Lucky in an hour (lyics, music and all) - using his previously written work as evidence - I think I would go with 'no'.

Anyway, I don't think I've posted my opinion of the album in this thread for some reason. I think it's great... well worthy of both Discovery and Homework. Highlights for me are Give Life Back to Music, Instant Crush, Get Lucky, Fragments and finally, and especially, Contact... which is so utterly fantastic, it should be the centre peice of the album. Best track on there in my opinion.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I love the album version of Get Lucky. Contact is a fantastic closer, the whole album is just great, I just I don't have to wait another 8 years for their next one.

Ralaks

Giorgio By Morodor is ace, probably my favorite right now, the 'beat' after the second "speech" by Arnold is amazing!

Kaush949

Anyone else here feel that the daft punk album brings back the 80's disco sound of Zapp and Roger?

Remember this song from GTA Vice City? Daft Punk's whole album has the same sound!

Liam147

On Probation
Someone tell me why there's so much hype around this album? I could understand it if they were this world famous band who'd been on a 20 year hiatus.

Take a look at Rod Stewart. It's his first original album for about 30 years. If everyone was talking about that I'd understand. But I don't think I've ever seen so much attention on an album.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Well they're a world famous band who are, for lack of a better word, very trendy due to a combination of their aesthetic and their music. Also the new album's first single was an absolute monster.

I know in Australia when ever they do anything everyone goes ballistic for them, a lot of the time I think just to be seen to like Daft Punk.

The new album is fantastic though and I can't begrudge them any of the hype.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It isn't surprising that the album has had so much hype. They are one of the most influential electronic artists in the world and this is their first album (discluding Tron) in 8 or so years.

The album is pure class imo.

Within and Lose yourself to dance would be my favourites but there is little to choose between the songs.

Kaush949

Listening to more and more, it seems like a complete rip-off of Zapp and Roger. The talkbox robot voice, the funk. Zapp and Roger definitely have never gotten this amount of hype or credit thus far.

Great album though, no doubt.