Daily Mail

p_ps_sock

is there a bigger negative influence on our society than this pseudo intellectual rag?

taken from an article about grant being sacked

Funny old game? This is a most unfunny country we live in now, hung as we are on the two horns of the Prime Minister's economic meltdown and the untaxed riches of foreign billionaires.

When the Square Mile can dole out massive bonuses for failure while sport impales honest men on its sword, it may not be too extreme to suggest that we are approaching the collapse of our civilisation.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-exit-Abramovich-begins-search-successor.html

I find it unbelievable that people swallow that shit, but some will no doubt

p_ps_sock

errrr ... current events

brown - boooooo
tory - yeay

do you people not have memories, or at least parents who can explain what it was like under the last tory rabble to rule this country, what a recession is actually like. feck me you lot are spoiled

iguanamanc

errrr ... current events

brown - boooooo
tory - yeay

do you people not have memories, or at least parents who can explain what it was like under the last tory rabble to rule this country, what a recession is actually like. feck me you lot are spoiled
CE - sorry for being thick. The boooo yeay thing, don't be so childish. Anyone who doesn't share your political views is a muppet? Grow up.

My parents are dead and I've been voting for nearly 40 years. New Labour have long outstayed their welcome, we're heading for another tough recession and Brown will not last long.

That's my opinion and you're welcome to disagree.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Daily Mail have always been small minded bigots who pander to the small mindedness of their demographic.

iguanamanc

Who all lap it up because they haven't three brain cells between them.

Don't read it then. I don't.

p_ps_sock

CE - sorry for being thick. The boooo yeay thing, don't be so childish. Anyone who doesn't share your political views is a muppet? Grow up.

My parents are dead and I've been voting for nearly 40 years. New Labour have long outstayed their welcome, we're heading for another tough recession and Brown will not last long.

That's my opinion and you're welcome to disagree.
its not about sharing views its about looking at things long term and putting things into a historical context. the crap that is being spouted at the minute is simply media hacks (and I include the broadsheets in that) wanting change for the sake of it, basically because the don't like the look of the sour faced scot in no. 10. The prats and expenses comments are shortsighted and pathetic. I don't agree with everything labour has done or continue to do but the alternative is too grim to think about.

Heading for another recession? By what measure? The economy is still exceeding projected growth rates and the only problem is the housing market, a problem caused not by the government but by banks in the US.

p_ps_sock

Unfortunately this current lot have fecked it up so badly that even the Tories look a better prospect once again.

How hard is it to actually listen to the people?
I don't know what 'the people' want, I'm certain what tha aussie and his contemporaries want as I read it every day

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
11 years is a long time in office for any government, and voters have very short memories.

Oh, and the Daily Mail is an awful newspaper, but again, that's just my two penneth worth :)

topper

Clown
errrr ... current events

brown - boooooo
tory - yeay

this lot have fecked up badly and deserve throwing out - if your argument is taken to its logical conclusion there will be no change in Government and we will end up fecked with this lot in forever.

If this shower were tory you'd be braying for their blood - so much for objectivity

PS and I do recall the last lot and the lot afore them with Callaghan - crisis - what crisis - with corpses not buried and refuse not collected and strikes weekly.

I also remember Harold Wilson calling some of his own ??? Party members as being politically motivated (John Prescott included )and having more loyalty to Moscow than the Houses of Parliament. If you talk of memory try not to to be selective about things you remember or read

topper

Clown
11 years is a long time in office for any government, and voters have very short memories.

Oh, and the Daily Mail is an awful newspaper, but again, that's just my two penneth worth :)
well hopefully with this lot that will change thank God

spinoza

Paz's ion
They're no worse than any other 3rd / 4th term government.

Not that the Daily Mail's the worst negative influence on society either, but it's got the most fantasy of any non-redtop.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Daily Mail
is there a bigger negative influence on our society than this pseudo intellectual rag?
Well, the Sun has higher circulation figures than the Mail, so I'm guessing the prize goes to the Sun (although technically the Sun is closer to being a comic than a newspaper). ;)

spinoza

Paz's ion
Heading for another recession? By what measure? The economy is still exceeding projected growth rates and the only problem is the housing market, a problem caused not by the government but by banks in the US.
If you judge the recession by growth rates it won't be that bad. It will feel pretty nasty though, it always does to people who don't give a shit about what the growth rate is. So I do have some sympathy for those who complain about it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Our local paper is gradually turning into the Daily Mail.

There was an article in there this week inferring that the local council treat travellers as royalty, whilst treating locally housed residents as sub human, or something, and then demanding that it's "time to take action!". I tossed it in the bin

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
The government haven't truly fecked up yet, things are a bit dodgey in the economy but that's not their fault, I reckon people are mostly just a bit bored

nickm

The government haven't truly fecked up yet, things are a bit dodgey in the economy but that's not their fault, I reckon people are mostly just a bit bored
Not their fault? Which government removed housing costs from the inflation rate, which helped cause a houseprice bubble?

Which government consistently ran a debt throughout a booming economy, meaning there's nothing in the kitty to boost spending during any upcoming slowdown?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think HIPS was a mistake. A lot more trouble than it's worth. The house buying system does need an overhaul, as it's ridiculous how many sellers feck over the buyers, but that wasn't the way to go.

nickm

its not about sharing views its about looking at things long term and putting things into a historical context. the crap that is being spouted at the minute is simply media hacks (and I include the broadsheets in that) wanting change for the sake of it, basically because the don't like the look of the sour faced scot in no. 10.
I see, so the local election results and the recent by election are a media invention and have nothing to do with what people really feel?

The prats and expenses comments are shortsighted and pathetic. I don't agree with everything labour has done or continue to do but the alternative is too grim to think about.
Any party that promises to kill ID cards will get my vote, for starters.

p_ps_sock

I see, so the local election results and the recent by election are a media invention and have nothing to do with what people really feel?
before this government is was considered normal for a government to fall well behind in polls mid term, and the agenda/opinions of a large percenage of the population are set by the media, which is why the mails rhetorical is so damaging

Any party that promises to kill ID cards will get my vote, for starters.
why?

without wanting pages of debate could you explain your view, because I really don't see the problem with having to prove who you are, we virtually have it anyway with the drivers liscences

nickm

before this government is was considered normal for a government to fall well behind in polls mid term, and the agenda/opinions of a large percenage of the population are set by the media, which is why the mails rhetorical is so damaging
I don't agree. Influenced, perhaps. But at the end of the day, they reflect their reader rather than determine them.

Let's not forget none of us voted for Brown as PM.

And as someone put it in the papers the other day, it's not mid-term. It's still the first year of Brown's government.

why?

without wanting pages of debate could you explain your view, because I really don't see the problem with having to prove who you are, we virtually have it anyway with the drivers liscences
Exactly. There's no need for them. Tell me there aren't better ways to spend £20 billion.

p_ps_sock

Not their fault? Which government removed housing costs from the inflation rate, which helped cause a houseprice bubble?
or you could say dumb people borrowing 5, 6 or 7 times their income to buy 2 bed terraces may have slightly more to do with it than whether the government uses CPI or RPIX for its targets

Which government consistently ran a debt throughout a booming economy, meaning there's nothing in the kitty to boost spending during any upcoming slowdown?
as opposed to a government who ran a defecit as they cut taxes to try and win elections, as well as investing jack shit in education, health, pensions etc etc etc

p_ps_sock

Exactly. There's no need for them. Tell me there aren't better ways to spend £20 billion.
we'll have to agree to disagree on the media, they set the agenda create the hysteria then keep on feeding it to serve the wishes a few very rich foreigners.

maybe we could spend £20bn on a few tax cuts for the rich, or to privatise something (is there anything left to sell off cheap?).

I honestly think having to prove you are who you say you are is a good idea, although the costs may be prohibitive

nickm

or you could say dumb people borrowing 5, 6 or 7 times their income to buy 2 bed terraces may have slightly more to do with it than whether the government uses CPI or RPIX for its targets
Higher interest rates mean higher repayments which mean lower multiples.

Who said this? “I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future.”

Three guesses.

Go on then.

Gordon Brown, 1997.

If not interest rates, the govt could simpy have had a law which required a minimum deposit - I believe they have suchlike in Germany or France.

That we had a situation where insane multiples were being lent, was a result of government policy that could have been addressed.

as opposed to a government who ran a defecit as they cut taxes to try and win elections, as well as investing jack shit in education, health, pensions etc etc etc
What are you on about? It's Brown who promised to balance the budget over the course of the economic cycle: ie run a surplus in the good times, so you can go into the red in the bad.

nickm

we'll have to agree to disagree on the media, they set the agenda create the hysteria then keep on feeding it to serve the wishes a few very rich foreigners.
The Daily Mail, to which you refer, is British-owned.

spinoza

Paz's ion
If not interest rates, the govt could simpy have had a law which required a minimum deposit - I believe they have suchlike in Germany or France.
I'm against that in principle. Poorer people should have access to credit too, and a government mandated ceiling is not flexible enough to ensure that a significant segment of people are not shut out of the credit market.

Besides, arguably the system is working - anyone who borrowed without sufficient equity is going to default, the banks make losses, the borrower loses the house, and house prices fall.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Do we not just have to put up with mild recessions now and then? Is it not almost a fact of economic life?