Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Blind isnt good enough to play holding for us, but I wonder is Schneiderlin that much better? Schneiderlin is a better ballstopper but Blind is netter tactically and better on the ball. Is the difference that big? Blind also played in a 4141 formation instead of the 4231, which offers far more protection and is less offensive.
I think is the other way around. In the 4-1-4-1 he's the only defensive midfielder. The other two were either out and out attacking midfielders (Di Maria & Herrera) or Fellaini and Herrera which probably afforded a bit more protection but playing alongside someone like Scheniderlin would make it much more easy for him.

I however do not wish to move him out of defense though, I think a large part of the shape and organization we have there right now is down to him. People commented a lot about how Smalling has helped him but I think it also works the other way around by Blind being the most vocal of the back 6 if you include the DM ahead of him and the keeper to keep everyone in line. Its almost like having a defensive coach out on the field.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Just the fact that he is comfortable playing in so many positions make him extremely valuable. Hes like a better O'Shea

I really wonder what he will end up playing as long term. So far hes put in really good performances at DM, LB and now CB
For all the flack O'Shea got, he was capable of delivering consistent 7.5/10 performances anywhere on the pitch. Blind has his moments but I wouldn't say he's much better than prime O'Shea.

They both have a knack for getting important goals though. O'Shea against Liverpool in '07 and Arsenal at home in '09, and Blind against West Ham last season, and Liverpool this season.

Typing that just made me realize Blind may be my favorite player right now.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
For all the flack O'Shea got, he was capable of delivering consistent 7.5/10 performances anywhere on the pitch. Blind has his moments but I wouldn't say he's much better than prime O'Shea.

They both have a knack for getting important goals though. O'Shea against Liverpool in '07 and Arsenal at home in '09, and Blind against West Ham last season, and Liverpool this season.

Typing that just made me realize Blind may be my favorite player right now.
Get in line mate!

Mali_Zeus

For all the criticism LVG got for some of his decisions it seems putting Blind to CB was a right one.
Credit where credit is due.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes it's been a good call, though you could make a question out of it - why TF did you not try it last season?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes it's been a good call, though you could make a question out of it - why TF did you not try it last season?
Carrick injuries, Shaw injuries and you have to work that for months.

Ixion

We didn't have Schneiderlin or Schweinsteiger to cover in midfield and Shaw was injured most of the season. Although I'm pretty sure Blind did cover at CB for the game against Palace at Old Trafford.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes, accept that, especially the lack of options in midfield. But we had ridiculous chopping and changing at the back and it would have helped a lot I think.

Riz

Also the parts where Blind may get exposed as a centre back are minimised with the increased protection our defence now has, wouldn't have been possible with last seasons midfield I don't think.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is there a player in the league who is more monitored than Blind right now? He's under a microscope and any inkling on a mistake will be blown out of proportion. He has been condemned as a failure by many before he even kicked a ball at centreback. When you consider that he's done amazingly well to deal with pressure.

PSV 2:1 Man Utd

Americano

Make America Great Again!
We're lucky to have a player like Daley who can slide over to left back and then provide a beautiful pass for the opening goal. He may not look like a prototypical center half but I have to respect his contribution to all phases of the game and his positional versatility.

Baxter

In love with Daley :lol: what a pass. He's absolutely brilliant.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Defence gone to pieces without him. Young or rojo left back?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not great for their first goal, If you know you're not going to get a good connection on that, then you're better of letting your keeper/bloke on the line deal with it.

Still, I was a bit fecked off that we moved him to Left Back... where's the logic there? Why split up your CB pairing that's been excellent all season? makes no sense.

Devil may care

His header on their 1st goal was one of those reflex moments, other than that he played pretty well IMO but personally I'd keep him at LCB and use Rojo at LB.

Ixion

Good pass for the goal. Very surprised he wasn't kept at CB though and Rojo LB.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was fine at centre half tonight but then when he switched to left back it all went to pot for him. Based on tonight I'm hoping for the next match he'll put Rojo at left back.

ivaldo

Absolute mismatch against Pelle. If he goes through the second half without conceding it'll be something
Getting zero protection from Carrick, you isolate Blind and he will struggle, infact most defenders would.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Said it before and say it again, he shouldn't play centre back in away matches.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What difference does it make which stadium he plays at?
We normally have 70% possession at home we have little to do. Away from home we have more pressure on us naturally being the away team, Swansea and today are good examples.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Unsurprisingly, Pelle dominated him until he moved to Smalling's side, for some reason. These forwards will continue to do that.

Varun

Staff
Pelle had him for size and strength, Mane had him for pace.

They had a right go at Blind today, and he looked shaky.
Yeah. Exploited him today. Looked lost. Mane was too tricky for him, wasn't about pace for me.

tom porter

He simple does not have the physical tools necessary to play cb at the this level. Too slow to handle Mane on the ground and not strong enough to handle Pelle in the air. I'd like to see us play Jones-Smalling with Blind at lb once Jones is healthy.

ivaldo

I said earlier he wasn't getting any protection and we saw him exposed. Between Rojo and Carrick he was getting next to no protection. He's a very capable centreback when the system is there.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's not the permanent solution in defense but he can get the job done at many times.

We may need one more signing to this formation but this time it has to be a highest shelf defender, possibly with bit of experience, too.

Devil may care

He struggled today, I thought it was his poorest game of the season. Couldn't cope with Pelle physically and couldn't handle Mane's pace. I think we saw how vital Shaw is for us in the way him and Smalling act as bodyguards either side of him, Rojo positionally doesn't have the discipline to do the same job.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Opposition team will target him obviously. He's the weak point. In most games it will go well but there are games where it just won't work, especially if it's a team that manages to trouble us

Status
Not open for further replies.