Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Struggled a lot more today like people are saying. He's a calming presence to have at the back when we're playing well and look more comfortable, but he's definitely going to struggle against dangerous strikers, like Pelle today.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I can totally understand LvG's thinking in keeping Blind at CB and Rojo LB for this game given that Blind has been playing well there and it's particularly important to have stability at the back. After today it shouldn't happen anymore. Rojo is too clumsy and technically lacking to attack effectively and Blind's physical limitations as a CB are obvious. If he doesn't switch them I'll be disappointed.

Roboc7

Very poor today, struggled at lb and cb but that is going to happen, he is in the team more for his passing rather than his defensive ability so he is going to be a liability when he is exposed or pressurised.

Clearly he can do a job there in certain games but week in week out he just defend well enough and in some games he just shouldn't play, today mane was going past him like he wasn't even there and pelle was just bullying him.

izec

It worked well, and like someone said, Shaw and Smalling could cover for him and protect him. Unfortunately, with Rojo there just isnt that sort of class at LB that he used to have with Shaw. I was sceptical from the beginning and predicted a nightmare, but was surprised how well we managed to hide his weaknesses. He was very good in most games. Today though, i think he got totally destroyed from Pelle and Mane. Every decent chance they created, Blind either lost out to Pelle, or got driblled/beaten to pace by Mane. Long term, i dont think he is an option. Under LvG, it probably will work in most games.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I don't think so.

He was raped today on multiple occasions by Pelle. Certainly hope another couple of games like this and LvG will give up on the idea of having him as a CB. He's not a CB and doesn't have the physical presence, positioning and awareness to be one..
Im sure its his positioning and awareness that has kept us in good stead thus far.

Enigma_87

You know who
Im sure its his positioning and awareness that has kept us in good stead thus far.
He didn't have much to do in those games which made him look good. Liverpool included, as they packed 10 men behind the ball. In the 2 games, where he was up against some pressure he was very, very poor(today) and shaky and poor(Swansea).

Romero was pretty "solid" in his first 4 games and in just one game each we saw the difference in having DDG and Romero in goal.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
He didn't have much to do in those games which made him look good. Liverpool included, as they packed 10 men behind the ball. In the 2 games, where he was up against some pressure he was very, very poor(today) and shaky and poor(Swansea).

Romero was pretty "solid" in his first 4 games and in just one game each we saw the difference in having DDG and Romero in goal.
Blind was never just solid; pleanty of times fans & commentators called him out for MOTMs.

I think its not just blind who needs to change but the whole team needs altering when occasionally playing teama like Southampton & Swansea.

Enigma_87

You know who
Blind was never just solid; pleanty of times fans & commentators called him out for MOTMs.

I think its not just blind who needs to change but the whole team needs altering when occasionally playing teama like Southampton & Swansea.
I think he was ok against Spurs, poor at Swansea and PSV, very poor today, MOTM against Pool, very good against Villa and good in the other two games.

IMO he'll do well as a CB for Barcelona for example, but at United he'll struggle.

tom porter

Why does one game ruin his chances? He did fine against gomis, benteke etc and he had a torrid time against pele and we should give up?

This is his 1st season at CB & not even that. To say he couldn't improve after experience is stupid.
He was poor against Gomis as well.

Devil may care

That's the thing with Blind, we essentially have to cover him with a bodyguard either side as if he is forced to defend one on one against some of the PL's powerhouse forwards he is going to struggle, it's a huge sacrifice for the LB to make and he has to be on his game all of the time, we made it work with Shaw as Shaw is superb, but with Rojo? I don't think so. Maybe we can make it work a bit better with Young there as if LvG tasks him with a job he will stick to it and is more disciplined than Rojo plus he can communicate better. Of course he's not gonna be much help physically to Blind like Shaw was.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Why does one game ruin his chances? He did fine against gomis, benteke etc and he had a torrid time against pele and we should give up?

This is his 1st season at CB & not even that. To say he couldn't improve after experience is stupid.

He did well against Benteke, but he was poor vs Gomis and now vs Pelle. It is quite visibly obvious that he will struggle with height. As a EPL CB, that is a big problem.

Sereques

People will go all over Blind because of his size blah blah, but he got done because Rojo was poor, the Rojo got his ass together, everything was fine.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I might just be lookong for excuses but theres a chance we might have been playing smalling as a sweeper and blind in front.

The amount of times iv seen blind be the first towards the ball with smalling in cover makes me think this is something that is planned rather than blinds poor positioning.

On top pf that Mcnair came in the last game; replaced blind who is clearly not just a CB but also has the ability to play at DM much like blind does.

If that is the case then our fullbacks performances are directly related towards blind's performance.

A bit of a far fetched tactical point but considering this sweeper system was used by ajax and van gaal before; it could have been implemented already.

In all games blind has been poor our performances of our LB & RB have been poor through injury or performance.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was really poor yesterday, Pelle gave him all sorts of hassle. He's been good up against the non physical teams playing at centre half. I do think long term we need to buy a proper defender. It will be interesting when Jones is match fit whether he'll come back in and Blind will be out.

prath92

I don't think so.

He was raped today on multiple occasions by Pelle. Certainly hope another couple of games like this and LvG will give up on the idea of having him as a CB. He's not a CB and doesn't have the physical presence, positioning and awareness to be one..
He was very good vs all other teams. Even against Gomis besides that one event where they hit the post, he didn't really get exposed by Gomis like smalling and darmian did.

Sunday's game again none of our defenders played well. Darmian in particular was poor. Makes me think that this was a one off than a regular thing.

As for he doesn't have awareness he has more awareness than Jones or rojo or anyone else in our team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was very good vs all other teams. Even against Gomis besides that one event where they hit the post, he didn't really get exposed by Gomis like smalling and darmian did.

Sunday's game again none of our defenders played well. Darmian in particular was poor. Makes me think that this was a one off than a regular thing.

As for he doesn't have awareness he has more awareness than Jones or rojo or anyone else in our team.
It'll always be like this, Blind will constantly be under the microscope, he's not allowed to have a below average game, if he does its immediately because he isn't strong enough to be a centre back. Never mind the fact the rest of the defense were also shit, or that Pelle 'bullied' Smalling as much as he did Blind on the weekend, that'll be entirely irrelevant, they've already make up their mind he can't play at centreback and nothing will change that.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It'll always be like this, Blind will constantly be under the microscope, he's not allowed to have a below average game, if he does its immediately because he isn't strong enough to be a centre back. Never mind the fact the rest of the defense were also shit, or that Pelle 'bullied' Smalling as much as he did Blind on the weekend, that'll be entirely irrelevant, they've already make up their mind he can't play at centreback and nothing will change that.
Its so saddening to see people actually want one of our players to do bad, just to say told you so.

Devil may care

His passing has been the highlight of the half, at least from what I can make out on the crappy stream.

ivaldo

His passing has been the highlight of the half, at least from what I can make out on the crappy stream.
It's just so slick, he forces us to play a little more aggressively as well. He seems to have complete confidence in his own ability and that of our central midfielders to play a ball into the feet of our CMs when they've got opposition near by, knowing they'll be able to play out, he really does start moves off for us there.

Last edited:

Iron Stove

I really hope he becomes consistent defensively (not that he's done bad all in all), his passing range is ridiculous for a cb and extremely useful. 3 assists already this season.

marlowe78

Superb work tonight. Not as visible in the 2nd half but showed excellent range with his passing.

Akshay

Staff
Great ball for Rooney, getting us that critical first breakthrough. Really helps to have a centre half like Blind when we're attacking most of the game and the opposition is content to defend. A more physical and 'pure' defender would be nowhere near as useful in these kinds of matches.

ZDwyr

I doubted him as a CB at the start of the season but I must say I am loving our defence with him in there. If we only had Shaw (:() we would have the best back five in the league.

Devil may care

It's just so slick, he forces us to play a little more aggressively as well. He seems to have complete confidence in his own ability and that of our central midfielders to play a ball into the feet of our CMs when they've got opposition near by, knowing they'll be able to play out, he really does start moves off for us there.
I love the way his distribution works in conjunction with Schweini who knows he can stay a bit higher up the pitch and Blind will find him with those threaded passes through the first line of the opposition. I sometimes feel our other CM's don't do this and come too close to him.

ivaldo

I love the way his distribution works in conjunction with Schweini who knows he can stay a bit higher up the pitch and Blind will find him with those threaded passes through the first line of the opposition. I sometimes feel our other CM's don't do this and come too close to him.
Exactly, they've just got to trust that Blind will be find those passes when they're a little further up the pitch, he has the ability.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It's basically cheating to have a centreback who can play passes like that.

ivaldo

What a pass, so flat that it cut the defense out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.