Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

He's had a much better season than John Stones this year who everyone seems to be waxing lyrical about. He's much better in pretty much every none physical sense: his concentration is immensely better, he's better on the ball, he's uses the ball more intelligently, his positioning is better and his passing range is superior.

If he were 6'2" and had never played in midfield in his career, after this season (a couple of games aside) people would be saying he's got a really great career at CB ahead of him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
:rolleyes:

Fine, he was class yesterday. Some of us are quite liberal with the words we use you know, don't be so pedantic!
Just to ensure there is no confusion. When you say he (or shes) being pedantic, are you speaking literally or being liberal? :)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Credit to LVG as well for believing in him as a centre back. Whatever happens with the manager himself, we've got one of the better CB pairings in the PL. In terms of composure on the ball and distribution from the back, he's right up there.

GledTheRed

Love this guy, feel he is a bit wasted at CB. He would be fantastic just in front of the CB's and more able to utilise his fantastic passing range.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's had a much better season than John Stones this year who everyone seems to be waxing lyrical about. He's much better in pretty much every none physical sense: his concentration is immensely better, he's better on the ball, he's uses the ball more intelligently, his positioning is better and his passing range is superior.

If he were 6'2" and had never played in midfield in his career, after this season (a couple of games aside) people would be saying he's got a really great career at CB ahead of him.
Yep. If Barcelona are looking for a defender, then he's absolutely perfect for them tbf. Better than Matheiu, Bartra and Vermaelen IMO.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That pass to Martial in the second half was incredible. I'd love to see him back in midfield, too.

finneh

Yep. If Barcelona are looking for a defender, then he's absolutely perfect for them tbf. Better than Matheiu, Bartra and Vermaelen IMO.
Absolutely. He certainly matches Mascherano in most physical senses (possibly a little slower), but surpasses him in most technically aspects.

Unlikely lad

Was brilliant yesterday, but he did just come off a series of awful performances in the past month or two. Reads the game well though; he'd benefit with a better midfield in front of him (who wouldn't).

gza the genius

He's had a couple games where he was absolutely terrible but he's also played almost every game the entire season in a position that's new to him. He's largely been very good in what has had to be a very makeshift back four for most of the season. I wouldn't mind at all going in to next season with him and Smalling as our starting center backs. Having the quickness of Shaw beside him well help immensely as well.

We need better backups though, Jones might as well not exist and Rojo isn't really looking up to it. Leaving him at center back means we definitely need another center mid as well.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Madness how his average rating on here is 5.9. Even Schweinsteiger has a 6.2 and Blind has been easily better.
Yea I noticed that also, Darmian 5.8, Blind 5.9 on here.
And Darmian has been poor all season bar the first 2-3 games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's an odd scenario with Blind. He's had some really good games, like yesterday, he's smooth on the ball, and he makes up for his lack of pace, height and strength with very clever reading of the game.
All that said though, a strong, aerially dominant centre back would still be one of my top 2 or 3 signing choices.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's amazing to think Stones and Lukaku would go for over £100m if Everton were selling.
If I were their fans I'd very strongly consider binning both off and bringing in 7 or 8 players with good potential for that! Reshape the whole team and squad.

Theonas

Scout

I agree! It always amazes me how people have a fixed idea on how a player of a specific position should be and if those criteria are not met, no amount of good performances would convince them. Before the season started we all heard about how it is a disaster waiting to happen and that we HAD to splash for Otamendi or Benatia before him to stand any chance. Again because those two fit in with the idea of how a defender should look like. Never mind that time and time again Blind does well or that our defensive record is impressive. The other amazing thing is when people bring up games where struggled. If I did not follow any football I'd be inclined to think there are defenders out there who never make mistakes or cost their team goals. "Nah, still not convinced, he's just you know ... not a defender" whatever the hell that means.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Madness how his average rating on here is 5.9. Even Schweinsteiger has a 6.2 and Blind has been easily better.
Blind has been consistently decent, but not amazing. He's frustrated me a lot this season but overall I'd say it's a good second year for him. I just know we can do better, especially in defense.

I'd love to see him get a few games in a deep midfield position.

Also, where can you see player averages? I'm on my phone

gza the genius

I agree! It always amazes me how people have a fixed idea on how a player of a specific position should be and if those criteria are not met, no amount of good performances would convince them. Before the season started we all heard about how it is a disaster waiting to happen and that we HAD to splash for Otamendi or Benatia before him to stand any chance. Again because those two fit in with the idea of how a defender should look like. Never mind that time and time again Blind does well or that our defensive record is impressive. The other amazing thing is when people bring up games where struggled. If I did not follow any football I'd be inclined to think there are defenders out there who never make mistakes or cost their team goals. "Nah, still not convinced, he's just you know ... not a defender" whatever the hell that means.
To be fair, at the beginning of the season no one had really seen Blind play at center back other than a handful of times. It looked like a big risk going in to the season with him as a starter and not having proper backup actually has hurt us. Props to LVG on the decision though, Blind has done much better overall than most people probably expected.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Blind has been consistently decent, but not amazing. He's frustrated me a lot this season but overall I'd say it's a good second year for him. I just know we can do better, especially in defense.

I'd love to see him get a few games in a deep midfield position.

Also, where can you see player averages? I'm on my phone
I think he has been consistently good with the odd poor game recently. Maybe not amazing but if Smalling is getting a 6.5, Blind should not be getting a 5.9. Blind has played to a much more similar level to Smalling than he has Darmian and Rojo. I also don't agree with this know we can do better. There have been loads of CBs listed off during the last few windows and almost everyone of them who have moved teams has turned out shit. So called 'better' CBs in Otamendi and Mangala haven't been a patch on Blind. Benatia has been shite from what I've heard too.

Player averages are at the top of each player's performance thread or you can go to the match day section and see everyone.

Theonas

Scout
To be fair, at the beginning of the season no one had really seen Blind play at center back other than a handful of times. It looked like a big risk going in to the season with him as a starter and not having proper backup actually has hurt us. Props to LVG on the decision though, Blind has done much better overall than most people probably expected.
I can't argue with that. It is entirely normal to have reservations about something new. The reasons behind those reservations is what I find wrong. People have a fixed idea on how a defender should look like. I find this wrong as there is no one way for success. Some teams need a traditional defender à la Vidic, some need a different profile like a Piqué or Luiz. The best defenders are the ones best suited for the way their teams play and I felt most of the reservations about Blind was more about how he doesn't fit the imaginary template of how a defender should look like rather than how he fits the way we want to play.

Theonas

Scout
I think he has been consistently good with the odd poor game recently. Maybe not amazing but if Smalling is getting a 6.5, Blind should not be getting a 5.9. Blind has played to a much more similar level to Smalling than he has Darmian and Rojo. I also don't agree with this know we can do better. There have been loads of CBs listed off during the last few windows and almost everyone of them who have moved teams has turned out shit. So called 'better' CBs in Otamendi and Mangala haven't been a patch on Blind. Benatia has been shite from what I've heard too.

Player averages are at the top of each player's performance thread or you can go to the match day section and see everyone.
But you forgot the most important thing about being a defender when it comes to those you mention. They look like defenders and have been more associated with the role throughout their career. Who cares if their actual performances are not good eh?

Lennon7

I don't think Blind has been as good as Smalling at all, but I agree he's been much better than Rojo and Darmian. And we could do better, you shouldn't be comparing us to other premier centre backs because frankly the premier league is dog shite at the moment. I want someone to come in next to Smalling who is Barca/Madrid/Bayern/PSG level.

Blind is a good player, yes. I'm happy we've got him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his starting spot in the next year or so.

And cheers but I can't find it on my phone :( will just have to get my laptop out!

limerickcitykid

I don't think Blind has been as good as Smalling at all, but I agree he's been much better than Rojo and Darmian. And we could do better, you shouldn't be comparing us to other premier centre backs because frankly the premier league is dog shite at the moment. I want someone to come in next to Smalling who is Barca/Madrid/Bayern/PSG level.

Blind is a good player, yes. I'm happy we've got him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his starting spot in the next year or so.

And cheers but I can't find it on my phone :( will just have to get my laptop out!
Smalling was better at the start of the season but has been largely below par since the Wolfsburg match and Blind has been easily better during that time despite have a couple poor matches himself. Its been close and is debatable who has been the better of the two.

Benatia is at Bayern and Otamendi and Mangala are both big imports from foreign leagues so it has nothing to do with the PL being shit. PSG also have David Luiz who was constantly criticized while he was at Chelsea. Hummels has had more than his fair share of embarrassing performances over the last two years. And I wouldn't be surprised if we brought a so called Barca/Madrid/Bayern/PSG level CB and Blind outperformed them.

limerickcitykid

But you forgot the most important thing about being a defender when it comes to those you mention. They look like defenders and have been more associated with the role throughout their career. Who cares if their actual performances are not good eh?
Exactly, there is a huge obsession on here with pace and power no matter what the position is.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
From the squawka article on Blind:

Yes, he was good for a nice, pretty ball fired out from the back to a waiting team mate in a more advanced position, but it wasn’t worth the defensive frailties that came with it. But against Everton, he was able to almost play cat and mouse, letting Lukaku see just enough to go in for the kill only for Blind to spin away, impishly snatching away the ball with a well-timed foot or using some other subtle trickery to shepard his rival to a side he’d prefer to take him.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/technic...st-feared-forwards/635288#flsxWGp6P2iiiTjC.99

Anyone read Fergie's book and remember who Fergie described using the same analogy? ;)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It was Rio actually but I remembered it wrong, he used it as an example of Rio's pace.

Five years previously it had been lollipop stuff. With his change of pace he’d rob a centre-forward just when the striker thought he was in business. He could no longer do that. He needed to be on the scene before the crime could happen.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

100% agree good post

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

But who are these top class ball playing centrebacks out there? This really isnt an era of great defensive players.

Lennon7

But who are these top class ball playing centrebacks out there? This really isnt an era of great defensive players.
I'm not sure, I didn't suggest anyone but I just pointed out that we shouldn't be happy with Blind in defense. As United fans, we should really expect and want more.

I'd be fine with Blind starting at centre back next season too, but unless he improves I'll still just have that feeling that we could do better.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'm not sure, I didn't suggest anyone but I just pointed out that we shouldn't be happy with Blind in defense. As United fans, we should really expect and want more.

I'd be fine with Blind starting at centre back next season too, but unless he improves I'll still just have that feeling that we could do better.
But that's just it, the quality of defenders right now is relatively poor, what options out there are going to be a significant improvement on Blind?

Lennon7

But that's just it, the quality of defenders right now is relatively poor, what options out there are going to be a significant improvement on Blind?
Again, I don't know. I'm not really suggesting we go and raid Barca/PSG/Madrid etc, but I'm just saying I'm not entirely happy with him being our starting centre back. My opinion could change, after all he has played the most minutes for us this season (I think).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Chris Smalling waxes lyrical about Daley Blind:

Chris Smalling has called Daley Blind a “joy to play alongside” and believes his Manchester United defensive partner is confounding the doubters.

United have yet to find a way to replicate the dominance enjoyed under Sir Alex Ferguson, with a top-four finish and FA Cup glory the best they can hope for as this topsy-turvy campaign comes to a close.

Louis van Gaal’s men are a work in progress but appear to have found the right formula at the back, with United’s 15 clean sheets more than any other Premier League side.

Smalling’s impressive displays have been key to that and earned deserved praise, but regular defensive partner Blind has at times been criticised – something his defensive partner believes is harsh.

“Ever since he joined the club he has rarely been injured,” the England international said.

“He has been able to bang out the games and have a very high consistency. He is a joy to play alongside.

“It is a good partnership. We know we can rely on each other. When there is a situation you don’t have to over cover because you don’t trust your partner.

“We trust each other fully and we bring out the best in each other as the games have gone on and the more games we have played together.

“By each performance he is putting any critics out there to bed. He has been one of the top centre backs this year.

“It is great knowing he is that, obviously (he) is naturally a midfielder so he has that passing range and ability down to a tee and defensively he is very sound as well.

“He brings a lot to our defensive line in being able to play the ball out and cut through teams.

“I think he deserves more plaudits and I think he will get them if he carries on playing the way he is playing.

“Everyone is standing up and taking note that Daley is one of the mainstays of this team and he is keeping us ticking.”

Smalling pointed to Blind’s impressive display in Sunday’s 1-0 win against Everton, when Romelu Lukaku “didn’t get any change from him”.

It was a manful display that allowed United to hold out for a victory that keeps their top-four hopes on track, although making it three successive league wins looks a tough ask at Tottenham next weekend.

“There was a lot of relief,” Smalling said. “It was one where we were hanging on a little bit. Against a good team, one goal is never going to be enough.

“You want teams to slip up but if we are winning our games then we have given ourselves a chance.

“We need to win games. Three points puts pressure on those above. It is a massive game at Spurs now.

“They are playing for a lot and so are we. We have found this season that we have often played better against the top teams and hopefully that continues.”

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/blind-has-proved-himself-a-top-centre-half-smalling

Lynty

Can't name 10 defenders who are indisputably better than Blind.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bar a few poor games, he's excelled this season. I don't even see the big 'gamble' in playing him at the back either, I always thought that before he came here he was a centre half and a midfielder, and the position is not new to him at all. Perhaps I didn't watch enough at Ajax.

Status
Not open for further replies.