Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

What do people think is Daley's best position?

Before he came to us I thought his best position was LB / LWB although I knew he was a bit of a utility player, however he hardly seems to have been used in these positions.

Last season he played mainly CM and nailed down the position against the odds

In pre-season LVG inexplicably started playing him at CB - and we all scoffed - but he has now played there all season, again nailed down the position against the odds, and is acknowledged as one of our best performers.
I don't think he nailed down a CM slot last season, as soon as he was dropped we went on our best run towards the end of the season.

I think he is a fine CB and a good LB/LWB. Terrible CM in the PL though. He is just too slow and gets overrun easily.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's turning into a really accomplished centreback.

Minimalist

He's a CB and probably better at DM if we gave him some games. I genuinely don't see any reason he can't replace Carrick and I've yet to hear one logical argument (based on facts, not some ambiguous defence like 'Carrick was THE midfield between 2010-13') why he can't.

Ironically, his lack of pace means I don't know why he would ever play LB again.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's turning into a really accomplished centreback.
Im struggling to see this! He cost us goals consistently. Not the worst of our problems and he is a good player but we need better imo.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Im struggling to see this! He cost us goals consistently. Not the worst of our problems and he is a good player but we need better imo.
Agreed. Too many brainfarts in dangerous positions when under no pressure at all and he can't really recover positionally in this situations because of his lack of pace. Needs to cut this shit out before he could be called an accomplished CB.

Had a similar brainfart against Palace as well, but thankfully we were up against Zaha and Adebayor, who are beyond useless.

ivaldo

What are these consistent goals he's cost us?

Skills

Snitch
What do people think is Daley's best position?

Before he came to us I thought his best position was LB / LWB although I knew he was a bit of a utility player, however he hardly seems to have been used in these positions.

Last season he played mainly CM and nailed down the position against the odds

In pre-season LVG inexplicably started playing him at CB - and we all scoffed - but he has now played there all season, again nailed down the position against the odds, and is acknowledged as one of our best performers.
Bench. Back up to Shaw and CMs.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think having Schneiderlin to get about and cover for him would actually make him almost the perfect 2nd holding midfielder in Van Gaal's system tbf. A luxury he didn't have last year.

surf

Blind and Smalling have been two of our best four players this season.
Unless Woodward can pull someone like Ramos out of his hat, or another part of his anatomy, I would keep Blind at centre back. Shaw's return will help him a lot defensively as he will then have two fast, strong, tall, secure defenders on either side of him.

The United

There is one thing saying we might need upgrade IF there is one in his place and there is another one where you make up stuff to make him look shit.

Blind is like a new Fletcher and countless of those quiet players but who performed up to required standard yet people constantly berate them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. Too many brainfarts in dangerous positions when under no pressure at all and he can't really recover positionally in this situations because of his lack of pace. Needs to cut this shit out before he could be called an accomplished CB.

Had a similar brainfart against Palace as well, but thankfully we were up against Zaha and Adebayor, who are beyond useless.
That was never his fault. He's standing there with nobody within 40 yards of him. Rooney literally runs the other direction away from him, and Schneiderlin retreats behind him expecting Blind to advance with the ball. He could potentially have got it into Mata's feet at 1 point, but he was well marked. The only other option was lumping it forward or forcing a difficult pass into Rashford's feet, and unfortunately he lost it. If the midfield weren't SO FAR away from him and did their jobs receiving the ball it wouldn't have happened. Very easy to just blame Blind directly as he passed the ball, but he really shouldn't have to be trying to fire in such a difficult pass. It's exactly why Rooney will never work as a CM IMO

Lawman

What are these consistent goals he's cost us?
Recently against Spurs he played a major part in 2 goals we lost of the top of my head. Against Palace he nearly cost us. It's every other game! He is a good player and nice on the ball but an accomplished defender he certainly is not.

Lawman

Blind and Smalling have been two of our best four players this season.
Unless Woodward can pull someone like Ramos out of his hat, or another part of his anatomy, I would keep Blind at centre back. Shaw's return will help him a lot defensively as he will then have two fast, strong, tall, secure defenders on either side of him.
Hard to disagree he's had a good season but he is a suspect defender. Given the choice of buying and replacing either Valencia at right back or buying and replacing Blind at centre back I'd buy a centre back. But Blind is a great squad player I just think he's Nicky Butt level or P Neville level type player as in very valuable to the squad but not quite first 11 regulars if we want to be top dogs again. Maybe like Fletcher he will improve again and become one but he has to many major flaws for this ie positional, pace and physicality (he's a bit of a girly). Only the positional he will be able to improve on.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
People always talk about him being "great on the ball", but he falters completely when anyone dares to press him. How much important passes does he actually make, that a "normal" CB couldn´t do? He is a decent defender, so there is no point in buying another mediocre player for the sake of it. Still, if our scouts are unable to identify affordable and realistic upgrades for this position, they should get shown the door.

Perrick Dubois

Recently against Spurs he played a major part in 2 goals we lost of the top of my head. Against Palace he nearly cost us. It's every other game! He is a good player and nice on the ball but an accomplished defender he certainly is not.
Cost us points against Chelsea with silly defending, lost Rondon against WBA in an almost identical fashion. To me, as someone who thinks he is still a good player despite being quite poor at CB this season, these lapses are almost identical and stem from him being a midfielder and using a midfielders instinct.

The unpredictable nature of when he tries to run out and win a ball has played a part in most of the goals conceded that have cost us. (Also many that have not..) I don't see why he couldn't play in front of the back four and use his pressing ability and his nous for attacking the ball carrier and winning the ball in front of two defenders where he can be bailed out if he fails.

I have a strange sense of déjà vu and that I've had the same conversation about this before.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
That was never his fault. He's standing there with nobody within 40 yards of him. Rooney literally runs the other direction away from him, and Schneiderlin retreats behind him expecting Blind to advance with the ball. He could potentially have got it into Mata's feet at 1 point, but he was well marked. The only other option was lumping it forward or forcing a difficult pass into Rashford's feet, and unfortunately he lost it. If the midfield weren't SO FAR away from him and did their jobs receiving the ball it wouldn't have happened. Very easy to just blame Blind directly as he passed the ball, but he really shouldn't have to be trying to fire in such a difficult pass. It's exactly why Rooney will never work as a CM IMO
It's what he does, though. Most of the time it takes him way too much time to make his mind up and he ends up making a mistake in a dangerous position or just hoofs it in no man's land. What makes it even more dangerous is his lack of pace, which prevents him from recovering positionally. We can't just blame the other players' movement every time.

I guess it's an extremely unpopular opinion around here, but I think his passing is overrated. He pulls off some great passes from time to time, but most of the time he's misplacing passes in dangerous positions, hoofs it to no one and tries way too many hollywood passes that are doomed to fail just because he pulled one off against Spain in 2014.

It's not his fault, though. It's clearly due to Van Gaal's instructions and that's why every attack starts with Blind.

prath92

Cost us points against Chelsea with silly defending, lost Rondon against WBA in an almost identical fashion. To me, as someone who thinks he is still a good player despite being quite poor at CB this season, these lapses are almost identical and stem from him being a midfielder and using a midfielders instinct.

The unpredictable nature of when he tries to run out and win a ball has played a part in most of the goals conceded that have cost us. (Also many that have not..) I don't see why he couldn't play in front of the back four and use his pressing ability and his nous for attacking the ball carrier and winning the ball in front of two defenders where he can be bailed out if he fails.

I have a strange sense of déjà vu and that I've had the same conversation about this before.
Smalling cost us just as many. He was to be blamed for all 3 goals against Newcastle, the first against Wolfsburg, the goal by west ham in the FA cup where he was completely screwed up by letting Carroll (his man) have a free header to lay it off among many and could have cost us more too (vs villa he was wrong footed by ayew twice and required timely intervention from Rojo and Blind to save him).

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's been one of our best players this seasons. He's had some bad games but some beauties too.

Regardless of how high you rate him, he deserves a lot of credit for playing CB and holding his own in England. Especially considering his physical stature and coming from a the Dutch league.

ivaldo

Smalling cost us just as many. He was to be blamed for all 3 goals against Newcastle, the first against Wolfsburg, the goal by west ham in the FA cup where he was completely screwed up by letting Carroll (his man) have a free header to lay it off among many and could have cost us more too (vs villa he was wrong footed by ayew twice and required timely intervention from Rojo and Blind to save him).
@Perrick Dubois @Lawman pretty much this.

Minimalist

Hard to disagree he's had a good season but he is a suspect defender. Given the choice of buying and replacing either Valencia at right back or buying and replacing Blind at centre back I'd buy a centre back. But Blind is a great squad player I just think he's Nicky Butt level or P Neville level type player as in very valuable to the squad but not quite first 11 regulars if we want to be top dogs again. Maybe like Fletcher he will improve again and become one but he has to many major flaws for this ie positional, pace and physicality (he's a bit of a girly). Only the positional he will be able to improve on.
Oh get lost! :lol: Blind is head and shoulders above both of those players, good as they were.

As some have said before, I think Barcelona would love him. He's perfect for them.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Oh get lost! :lol: Blind is head and shoulders above both of those players, good as they were.

As some have said before, I think Barcelona would love him. He's perfect for them.
You have to be kidding me :lol:

Reminds me of those threads, where fans put Darmian/Smalling/Schneiderlin/Mata/Depay in hypothetical combined Barca+United (or United+Bayern) line-ups. Madness.

Minimalist

You have to be kidding me :lol:

Reminds me of those threads, where fans put Darmian/Smalling/Schneiderlin/Mata/Depay in hypothetical combined Barca+United (or United+Bayern) line-ups. Madness.
Pfft, laugh all you want. Plenty on here have said it. He's got all the qualities they like in their centre-backs with their style of play from 2009 onwards.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The same people who said, that Darmian would walk into any team in the world. The same people who thought that Smalling is worldclass. The same people who hyped Januzaj to be the next big thing. The same people who thought that Mata is worldclass. The list goes on and on and on (Jones, Rafael, Depay, Herrera etc.pp)

Barca will never even look at him. It is that simple. He is not a liability, which is quite a compliment considering that he just started to play in this position. I am not worried when he plays as CB (or as LB), but his ability on the ball is vastly overrated and overall he is decent at best.

ivaldo

The same people who said, that Darmian would walk into any team in the world. The same people who thought that Smalling is worldclass. The same people who hyped Januzaj to be the next big thing. The same people who thought that Mata is worldclass. The list goes on and on and on (Jones, Rafael, Depay, Herrera etc.pp)

Barca will never even look at him. It is that simple. He is not a liability, which is quite a compliment considering that he just started to play in this position. I am not worried when he plays as CB (or as LB), but his ability on the ball is vastly overrated and overall he is decent at best.
Although I agree Barca wouldn't be in for him to day his ability on the ball is vastly overrated is nonsense, he is head and shoulders above anyone else in our side with ball at feet, and if we consider him as a centreback, there isn't another with his passing capability.

Classical Mechanic

There was a lot of speculation that they were in for him when we signed him.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-set-battle-out-3883039

Sylar

Surprised more people havent posted in this thread.

Think hes been one of our most consistent players this season. I like him in our squad. I do wonder what his long term position will be though (will be surprised if its him and Smalling against next season as CBs)

Bwuk

Think hes been one of our most consistent players this season. I like him in our squad. I do wonder what his long term position will be though (will be surprised if its him and Smalling against next season as CBs)
I'd upgrade on Smalling before I'd upgrade on Blind.

Lawman

Bar getting outmuscled on an occasion by Lukaku at the end of the match, he was very good today.
He gave away 3 blatant chances! I'm not saying he's not a good player but he's never a top centre back!

TheCorkman

If Blind had scored that OG today I can guarantee this thread would be hopping. The guy is just a brilliant player. Ironically the player he's had most trouble with this season is Troy fecking Deeney.

RRCE

I have to say, Blind has surprised me a bit this season. I thought he'd do just fine against the lesser teams. He's a fairly smart player who reads the game well and can pass out from the back. My fear was that he would get very badly exposed against the top teams - particularly those with big, physical strikers. He's had his fair share of shaky moments, but has been better and more consistent than I expected. I would still like to see us bring in a more accomplished (and natural) central defender, but he should be congratulated for doing a generally good job while playing out of position all season. I consider him to be a very valuable squad player moving forward.

ivaldo

He gave away 3 blatant chances! I'm not saying he's not a good player but he's never a top centre back!
Ah yes, Lawman and his exaggerated chances. It's a little sad your actively trying to find fault in him now.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It's funny how people haven't notice trying to isolate him into physical battles don't work because he is more snappy than combative..
He hardly challenges aerial balls but it doesn't mean he leaves it uncovered. All season big strong lads haven't been able to get the better of him, maybe we should forget that alleged weakness now.
Don't think he was outstanding today but both him and Smalling were quite solid when need be.

Lawman

Ah yes, Lawman and his exaggerated chances. It's a little sad your actively trying to find fault in him now.
Ivaldo a better team or one in Evertons case (lacking confidence) would have punished us yesterday. Did you not see him lose Lukaku positionaly and physically only for Lukaku (who was out of sorts all game) to head wide from 6-8 yards out? That was the blatant one there were other half incidences that as judging anyone you'd mark him down for them. Or as a coach or manager you'd point out and try and work on them. To have a pop at me personally is a bit poor and not something I'd expect from you because we disagree. So I'll happily leave it at this. I like Blind he's not our biggest problem and has more than earned his place in our squad but unless he cuts out his basic errors and he makes them every other game. Then he needs replaced long term with better quality if we want to be top dogs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.