Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
In my mind, this wasn't the weird bit, as much as why Ivanovic despite being not very good any more kept getting picked ahead of a Felipe Luiz LB/Azpilicueta RB combo

Nothing saying it can't happen, but there's nothing wrong with discussing what we think will/could happen.

On the flip side, perhaps Mourinho lets Carrick go, and gives his role to Blind. This year at CB will surely have helped his positional sense(something he occasionally had issues with in his first season here), combined with his passing and vision could make for a quality holding mid.

Way too open to really know what's going to happen, what formation will we play, where does he see Rooney(CM, AM, ST, China?), who we'll bring in, who we'll sell.
It's just the way all United player tend to be rubbish and the better options always lie elsewhere. Not that it's a new reaction from us fans.
I like to wait till preseason to see what the manager is working on for the season or how he plans to use players. Even for continuing managers, every new season is a new beginning. Blind might not be his cup of tea but at least then we'd understand why. This is a manager that's played Essien at right back and Zanetti at centre midfield because it's the right tactical play for the team. Blind is only played one full season as CB that should be considered when assessing his season, players don't become the finished article after 1 season. If a day comes where he feels he need a Libero type in defence he won't think twice to put Blind there(if better suited).
I'm not arguing he should continue as a starting CB or a top CB. All I am saying is noone was expecting Blind to look a better CB than Jones this season considering Jones was rated higher than Smalling by many. This happened in his maiden season season as a CB considering he struggled with the physicality in CM last season.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
IMO Blind should be played against teams that will sit back and soak up pressure, where he would be afforded time on the ball and his physical limitations won't be exploited.

SoCross

IMO Blind should be played against teams that will sit back and soak up pressure, where he would be afforded time on the ball and his physical limitations won't be exploited.
Of the 56 games he played, this happened in what, a maximum of 10? December onwards, I thought he was a better centre-back than Smalling.

Red_Beans

I like Blind, but I reckon for Mourinho he'll be the 12th man on the team sheet, 1st on the bench. Dependable, reliably injury free, can be stuck in to plug a gap in quite a few places and isn't likely to kick up a fuss. Valuable commodities, especially if you like to keep a small squad like LvG or (IIRC) Mourinho.
agree with this mostly. One thing about Blind though, he has continuously been written off during his career for being too slow, too weak, too short etc. And he has consistently overcome those limitations in several positions. I wouldn't right him off just yet

Sereques

I feel he will take the most hit with Jose arrival. Mou won't use him in defense and not good enough for midfield. Maybe leftback when Shaw needs rest.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
agree with this mostly. One thing about Blind though, he has continuously been written off during his career for being too slow, too weak, too short etc. And he has consistently overcome those limitations in several positions. I wouldn't right him off just yet
True enough, tbh I'd only be delighted if he goes from strength to strength here. He definitely has the footballing intelligence to make up for any limitation.

Weird thought maybe, but it'd be interesting to see what he could do at no.10, passing, vision, a good long shot and it's a position where quite a few of the best players aren't pacey or powerful.

Red_Beans

True enough, tbh I'd only be delighted if he goes from strength to strength here. He definitely has the footballing intelligence to make up for any limitation.

Weird thought maybe, but it'd be interesting to see what he could do at no.10, passing, vision, a good long shot and it's a position where quite a few of the best players aren't pacey or powerful.
I am a big fan of Blind, his footballing intelligence is immense. Not sure about him as a ten though. I've always though his best position would be CDM with two box to box CM's in front of him

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm a big fan of Blind. I'd say he's one of LvG's best signings. Incredibly dependable, never gets injured, versatile and is a very well rounded and intelligent footballer. That said, I think he probably knows he might be first on the chopping block under Mourinho, and his comments on the sacking of LvG speak volumes in that regard:

Probably best we don't predict what Mourinho is going to do with what is already here, because we collectively got it all wrong over LvG's plans. We were all expecting RVP to get the armband, with Rooney and Fellaini punted out before even kicking a ball under his rule. However, I struggle to see Blind in a Mourinho team. I can't think of anyone similar in previous Mourinho teams (correct me if I am wrong there). He might keep him as a squad player to cover left back, central/defensive midfield and perhaps even centre back, as he is certainly a great option to have in that respect. I just don't see him as a starter in a tough, counter attacking set up.

I think he has the quality to play in a few positions, but I predict Mourinho will want someone a little quicker and more physically imposing. Whether he wants to be a rotation option is another thing. Mourinho's rotation is quite minimal, and whilst he might not be a Mourinho player, he's a very good footballer who could be an important starter for a lot of clubs. I'd be a little sad to see him go, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho doesn't fancy him.
Him calling this season a successful season is partly what's wrong with this group of players.

I remember the days when everyone at the club would feel that the end of the season was anticlimactic and felt slight disappointment when we didn't win the CL. This despite us winning the league.

I'm not saying the league is a given, mind. But, at the risk of sounding entitled, calling an FA cup winning season while finishing 5th is in no way a successful season for Manchester United.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Him calling this season a successful season is partly what's wrong with this group of players.

I remember the days when everyone at the club would feel that the end of the season was anticlimactic and felt slight disappointment when we didn't win the CL. This despite us winning the league.

I'm not saying the league is a given, mind. But, at the risk of sounding entitled, calling an FA cup winning season while finishing 5th is in no way a successful season for Manchester United.
That is not the Manchester United Daley Blind joined so while the above is admirable and full of good memories it's all past. It is the level everyone should aspire to, agreed, but it is not the barometer for if a season is "successful" for THIS Man Utd.

That's before dissecting the tone and deliverance of the word "successful" in his quote. The term itself reads very differently on paper to how it could have been said.

Having said all of the above, Jose should hopefully re-align what a successful season is classed as soon enough - back to the glory days hopefully!

Hopefully with Daley as one of the mainstays and regular players too. This poster has a lot of time for Blind.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

True, I thought that was a little strange from Blind. A player coming from Ajax should surely be eyeing the title every year, and even finishing 2nd should be disappointing. But I am unsure if he really believes what he is saying about the season being a success, or if he is saying it to back the manager he had a great relationship with. If he says it was a crap season, then he is throwing LvG into the fire.

kumoli

Supports
Ajax
Blind and Mata can leave says Skysports today.
Jesus, parking the bus has allready started.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So if we don't play 'possession based football', it means we will be parking the bus? Odd logic.
I didn't say the parking the bus line, but yeah not sure what OP meant by it. I can see the logic of Blind not being a Mourinho player if we assume the need for physical players. But Blind isn't 'weak' and he is a player that provides much needed balance in our team.

Robbie Boy

I didn't say the parking the bus line, but yeah not sure what OP meant by it. I can see the logic of Blind not being a Mourinho player if we assume the need for physical players. But Blind isn't 'weak' and he is a player that provides much needed balance in our team.
The poster took a needless dig at Mourinho with his 'parking the bus' comment which clearly has no correlation to the story about Blind / Mata being sold.

If he wanted a proper debate about Blind and his strengths / weaknesses, then he should have posted something to that effect and not the silly little Mourinho dig.

Sjaakmeoff

The poster took a needless dig at Mourinho with his 'parking the bus' comment which clearly has no correlation to the story about Blind / Mata being sold.

If he wanted a proper debate about Blind and his strengths / weaknesses, then he should have posted something to that effect and not the silly little Mourinho dig.
I do think it has correlation.

If true, he's getting rid of the one player who's capable of defending by putting pressure into midfield and can set up an attack through the middle. If Mourinho is replacing him with a defender who is big and strong, but only defends, poster has a valid point IMO.

Robbie Boy

If true, he's getting rid of the one player who's capable of defending by putting pressure into midfield and can set up an attack through the middle. If Mourinho is replacing him with a defender who is big and strong, but only defends, poster has a valid point IMO.
Nope. Just a silly childish Mourinho dig.

Tosicsleftpeg

I like Blind and think he's a good player but I would 100 percent want to buy a new central defender as a starting player. Keep blind definitely as he can play in so many positions and play in them well but having him start in the centre of defense is not how I want to see us progress.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

It's about as valid as saying because TFM, Rashford and BJ signed new contracts it means Jose will concentrate solely on youth and not sign Zlatan, it's a massive leap. On a side note have you seen my rock? It keeps tigers away...

Robbie Boy

Actually, there is correlation in his post. As @Sjaakmeoff suggested.
Yeah I still don't agree whatsoever. We have absolutely no idea who Mourinho is signing yet and getting rid of Mata and Blind (if true) simply means that Mourinho doesn't rate / want either player. To be fair to him, Blind is a midfielder / left back who has been played at centre back; I have no issues whatsoever if Mourinho doesn't fancy him. I think he's a useful player but if he's sold, then so be it.

How all of a sudden do Blind and Mata represent possession football, as a matter of interest? And how does getting rid of Blind and or Mata mean we are going to park the bus? - which is what my initial comment alluded to. To me, it's just a pathetic dig at Mourinho.

Funny that selling Blind means we are going to turn into some kind of negative team when we have been heavily linked with John Stones of all people......

MichaelKorleone

Wouldn't trust Sun, especially with transfer rumours. If Barcelona want a ball playing defender to replace Maschenaro (whispers that he may leave to Juve), they should look at Vertonghen who has also come through Ajax roster just like Blind and is a better player in the air with similar quality of passing (Blind's passing is slightly better for me). With Levy you can never be sure of attaining their player, unfortunately.

Getting rid of Blind (assuming transfer rumours are anywhere close to truth) wouldn't necessarily mean Maureen is going to park the bus every game. Though tactics must suit what players are available (check Ranieri at Leicester), it is also possible to play different type of game with almost the same set of players. If Maureen wants to park the bus, he can as well do it with Blind-Schneiderlin double pivot and ask them to shield the CBs while instructing fullbacks to stay near to our goal. Maureen did that by employing Mikel-Matic or Matic-Zouma in big matches at Chelsea.

Fergie played with 7 defenders (and Gibson!) against Arsenal but I doubt many consider the tactics of that match as Utd parking the bus - we defended deep and counter attacked as we know Arsenal's only strategy (back then) like the back of our hand.

Parking the bus is not Maureen's or cannot be Utd's default strategy anyway. We will still dominate possession against a lot of sides even if we are not playing possession based system - simply because we (will) have a better team than most sides out there in league (and group stages of Europa League). Maureen prefers quick transition from defense to attack and Blind can help with it as his first touch passing is pretty good.

Blind has also done solidly well in a lot of positions against a lot of teams. It is nigh on impossible to have a player for every strategy and every occasion and every team. We should utilize players as per their strengths and considering Blind has been largely good for most of his time here, I'd be a bit sad if he were to leave without even showcasing what he can do, to the new manager. I doubt he'd prefer to leave even if told that he's only going to be a squad player - he was given that role initially all through his career and he's done better than expectations to convince his managers he deserved a starting role.

But if Blind were to survive as Maureen's midfielder, he cannot aggressively press from midfield. Pressing has to be a team strategy and it always looked weird how Blind is the only one to go pressing opposition (something he learnt as part of Ajax's basic strategy) while most of our other players looked passive. Herrera and maybe Schweinsteiger are other players who press quite a lot (one played for Bielsa while the other played for Bayern). As a midfielder it is incredibly risky and it would leave the opposition attackers running directly at CBs (never a good idea to let them do it even if your team has world's best CBs) if pressing is not done collectively. I doubt Maureen prefers it as a team strategy and hence I'm inclined toward Blind getting rid of this trait (as much as I love it).

Reactions: Snowjoe

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah I still don't agree whatsoever. We have absolutely no idea who Mourinho is signing yet and getting rid of Mata and Blind (if true) simply means that Mourinho doesn't rate / want either player. To be fair to him, Blind is a midfielder / left back who has been played at centre back; I have no issues whatsoever if Mourinho doesn't fancy him. I think he's a useful player but if he's sold, then so be it.

How all of a sudden do Blind and Mata represent possession football, as a matter of interest? And how does getting rid of Blind and or Mata mean we are going to park the bus? - which is what my initial comment alluded to. To me, it's just a pathetic dig at Mourinho.

Funny that selling Blind means we are going to turn into some kind of negative team when we have been heavily linked with John Stones of all people......
That's your prerogative, but if posters see an issue with Mourinho selling one of our best outfield players of the season then they are fair to judge accordingly.

How do Blind and Matter represent possession football? You should know the former was deployed as a ball playing centre back who, despite very occasional lapses, has great composure in playing out of defence and weaving passes on the ground through to midfield, and interlinking play. Mata's ball retention is also far superior and is trusted in the possessive style of football, but Blind is more of the possession mould out of the two.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Haha funny that a lot of posters on here (myself included) said that blind would be perfect for Barca and is highly underrated as a CB and many people laughed him off saying he's a liability. He hasn't been a liability this year and has been excellent in most games. I knew that Mourinho wouldn't use him as a CB but that's only because the way Mou defends deep doesn't suit Blinds attributes. If Barca can get him for the price touted they will have signed an excellent player for a steal.

Robbie Boy

That's your prerogative, but if posters see an issue with Mourinho selling one of our best outfield players of the season then they are fair to judge accordingly.

How do Blind and Matter represent possession football? You should know the former is a ball playing centre back who, despite very occasional lapses, has great composure in playing out of defence and weaving passes on the ground through to midfield, and interlinking play. Mata's ball retention is also far superior and is trusted in the possessive style of football, but Blind is more of the possession mould out of the two.
I have absolutely no issues whatsoever if people have an issue with selling Blind, as I have earlier stated. My issue is petty digs at Mourinho about parking the bus because Blind and Mata have been linked with a move away from the club.

Funny, I could have sworn that Mata was signed by Moyes who didn't exactly play possession football. Mata's stats have been relativey good but I have been extremely underwhelmed by him since he has come in.

Yeah, Blind can play the ball from the back but there are players that can do that but have more pace & defend better; basically better ball playing centre backs. Who's to say that Mourinho isn't planning on buying a superior player for that position? Why have we been heavily linked with Varane / Stones - both ball playing centre backs - if we are going to park the bus?

What's the obsession with possession based football anyway? We had the majority of possession for the last two seasons and were absolutely wank for the most part. Give me the football we played under the majority of Fergie's reign, than that rubbish any day of the week.

Bestie07

Blind was one of our better players last season, can provide cover in several positions and doesn't get injured (which is a big deal in our current squad). We really need a long term structure in place with regards to squad building. We can't let any manager we hire sell any player he doesn't quite fancy. What if Mourinho doesn't work out, then what, we hire another manager and let him sell any player he wants again? Now Mourinho might not quite fancy a player like Blind but there are at least a half dozen others that we should be looking to get rid of before we even consider selling him.

Perrick Dubois

The caf posts it, suddenly it appears in the news. Coincidence? I think not, Blind being chased by Barca has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen.

Robbie Boy

Ya. I think signing Vermaelen, who was injured, was one of the weirdest decisions that Barca took in recent times.
It was bizarre considering he is a constant sick note; we were after him too, which was also bizarre. The signing of Douglas was also really strange.

Minimalist

Apparently I and others were mental to suggest Barcelona would be interested in him...

(Not that papers are gospel but still..)

He'd fit perfectly with them. I know he's shite, too short, too slow and Smalling (apparently) is a defensive GOD compared to him but he would.

Stacks

Apparently I and others were mental to suggest Barcelona would be interested in him...

(Not that papers are gospel but still..)

He'd fit perfectly with them. I know he's shite, too short, too slow and Smalling (apparently) is a defensive GOD compared to him but he would.
He Really wouldn't. Pique is a ball player. They need a no nonsense, top quality replacement for Puyol which they have been chasing for years. One who can do the basics to a high level. Mascherano did the job and now they need another. Blind is such a downgrade on Puyol/Mascherano.

Nuts

The caf posts it, suddenly it appears in the news. Coincidence? I think not, Blind being chased by Barca has to be one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen.
Really? I think in a lot of ways he'd quite suit them, actually. I could see both Blind and Barca wanting that.

As soon as it's known a club want to get rid of a player it brings their price down. If they get him for 10m it would be a very decent signing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.