Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
LvG has basically done to Blind what he did with Schweinsteiger at Bayern. Classy player.
But can he defend against Hazard and Costa who love running at players, Silva and Aguero who does the same or Arsenal mids when they overlap the attack? Until he does well against those teams, I think the jury is still out on him. I am still not convinced by his one on one defending and his lack of pace allows some players to escape his attention quite easily. Its not to say he hasn't been good for us so far but like the season review, its too early to say its a brilliant move by LvG.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pace is overrated. Defender will always have an edge due to them having to defend instead of running with the ball, can easilly be overcome with intelligence and good reading of the game. Besides when people say a player is lacking pace they make it sounds like he's 80 years old. Both him and mata can still run very fast, faster than everyone on the caf still

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Pace is overrated. Defender will always have an edge due to them having to defend instead of running with the ball, can easilly be overcome with intelligence and good reading of the game. Besides when people say a player is lacking pace they make it sounds like he's 80 years old. Both him and mata can still run very fast, faster than everyone on the caf still
Perhaps. But it'd be little more reassuring if he had a good recovery pace to rely upon in case he make mistakes. Not saying he's prone to making mistakes either, just he sometimes doesn't look great when being one-on-one on inside left channel. He's a classy player though, has clean passing and shooting and also doesn't shy from dirty work. I am not afraid of him being physically bullied though, I think he is very intelligent in direct confrontation and doesn't get beaten often. Just a little more proof of he in defence is working (perhaps by the end of this year) before I become assured of him being in our defense makes the team defend better rather than the defence accommodating him due to his good passing and intelligence.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Perhaps. But it'd be little more reassuring if he had a good recovery pace to rely upon in case he make mistakes. Not saying he's prone to making mistakes either, just he sometimes doesn't look great when being one-on-one on inside left channel. He's a classy player though, has clean passing and shooting and also doesn't shy from dirty work. I am not afraid of him being physically bullied though, I think he is very intelligent in direct confrontation and doesn't get beaten often. Just a little more proof of he in defence is working (perhaps by the end of this year) before I become assured of him being in our defense makes the team defend better rather than the defence accommodating him due to his good passing and intelligence.
Im sure van gaal noted that. He might get found out in a flat 442 but we have 2dm in most game covering for pacey luke shaw and darmian is solid, so imo it should be enough for him. His net contribution to the team is worth the handicap.

His lack of pace might cost us a few goals. But he'll earn us points so it's good enough at the end of the day. Besides we don't have someone who's head and shoulders better than him...

We'll see i guess

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Before this match there were doubts about his strength and how he will cope against Benteke. Now that he kept Benteke in his pocket, people are raising doubts about his other attributes.

Its funny how people on here make negative impressions about a player just on one match and yet it takes several matches to create positive impressions.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Like father, like son?
Pretty good at centreback aye
His father in his Ajax days would start at defence but would be everywhere while attacking though. He's be putting crosses in, running in from the deep, doing everything while also being a very reliable defender. If he can be as good as his father consistently, he'd be a real gem for us.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Before this match there were doubts about his strength and how he will cope against Benteke. Now that he kept Benteke in his pocket, people are raising doubts about his other attributes.

Its funny how people on here make negative impressions about a player just on one match and yet it takes several matches to create positive impressions.
Of course. I am going to wait at least till the end of this year before thinking he's going to be a good enough defender for Man United or not (consistently). I never said he's played badly for us, I am still nervous about him because this is a little bit of unfamiliar territory for me seeing him as a CB. I have never said anything bad about his performance, just said need a longer period of time to see how he grows defensively. I don't think that's an unfair way to evaluate a player.

Heine

I never believed I would say this, but Blind looks like a good central defender... During preseason I poster several times in the newbie forum about how he would never been good enough, too slow, too small, too weak... He has proven me wrong in every game that really matters. He seems to have a football intelligence that surpasses everyone, the way he learns new positions and develops his play is astonishing. He's a player that really get the max out of limited physical talents. It seems we can put him anywhere on the field, give him some time and he will learn the position and do it well

Call me impressed

Hamadovich86

This guy is exceeding expectations at CB. Not sure which was better the goal or his clearance but both were crucial.

Shiva87

I really like Blind, but didn't like the idea of him at CB. But, I have to say - he is doing a great job of it.

Red_toad

On the caf people have agendas that they never let go of. Young had a good season, yet for some he didn't deserve a new contract. Blind has done very very well this season & sections of our fans will simply look for negatives over any positives. Blind, Rooney, Young, Fellaini & Valencia are rarely going to get praised on here. The herd mentality won't allow it, they make 1 error or dare not to perform exceptionally & the drama will commence. Where as Mata & Herrera.....

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Just the fact that he is comfortable playing in so many positions make him extremely valuable. Hes like a better O'Shea

I really wonder what he will end up playing as long term. So far hes put in really good performances at DM, LB and now CB

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Great clearance off the line. Took his goal very well also. Thought he was man of the match but more so because the first goal was a big moment for us.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Blind at centre half has been a revelation. He won several contests with big Benteke yesterday. Amazing. I had little to no faith in him succeeding in this role, but he's proving that defending runs in the family. Should he keep this up someday people may ask who was the better centre back, Daley or Danny?

Empire

It's all team work, what Louis calls collective responsibility, if the team plays well then his weaknesses aren't exposed because the others help him out, Shaw, Blind, Smalling, Darmian, Schweinsteiger and Carrick all do their bit and help each other out when they need too.

Even at left back Blind played well because he, Young and Fellaini combined well, that's also why both Young and Fellaini played well (last season in some games).

Just as our defence looks solid so can our attack, the manager needs to find the right combination in the attacking third. When Louis van Gaal attacks well but his defence leaks then he is called an attacking coach who can't defend, when his defence plays well but his attack isn't threatening in the final third he is called a defensive coach who plays boring football.

He looks for balance, if his defensive organisation is praised I don't get why the same posters complain about our attack, surely he'll figure that out too and it's just a matter of time? It's understandably not easy as we lack that world class player, defensively we also don't have it but the team work has made up for it, offensively we also need the combination and chemistry of the attacking four to work in a way the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

The change with Young yesterday acted like a catalyst, his willingness to try and beat a man helped us raise our tempo when the ball got to the final third, it's that sudden change in attacking tempo and switches of play that Louis van Gaal uses to attack, once the team works well in the final third the attack can be as effective as the defence.

This is something good from Louis van Gaal's methods, we saw it with Netherlands at the world cup, good players in a strongly team oriented system can be more effective and perform to a great level, if Giggs is the next manager then I hope he learns a lot on this, as Louis has done with players in the past he will give freedom for individual brilliance if the player is capable of it consistently (e.g. Robben) but when you have players that can't do that such as Blind, Young, Fellaini (weaknesses for their position meaning they are only good players) then you need the players around them to work together.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What a great squad player this guy is. Love him.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Please just stop calling him slow. It drives me nuts. This is a LB who is playing at CB; how could he possibly be slow? Alright he isn't fast as koscienly; but he isnt slow as half the central defenders in the league.

Not only that; why does he have to be fast when his passing is fantastic and we keep the ball for the majority of the game?

Minimalist

But can he defend against Hazard and Costa who love running at players, Silva and Aguero who does the same or Arsenal mids when they overlap the attack? Until he does well against those teams, I think the jury is still out on him. I am still not convinced by his one on one defending and his lack of pace allows some players to escape his attention quite easily. Its not to say he hasn't been good for us so far but like the season review, its too early to say its a brilliant move by LvG.
What a dour human being you are. :lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
@MichaelKorleone found a clip of us trying the exact same move against Arsenal last year when Blind almost scored again. Herrera took the Schweinsteiger role of blocking off the man. It is quite a nice move.

Starts at 1:30

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Don't know if this has already been mentioned but during the American telecast of our game with Liverpool, Lee Dixon said that he spoke with Roy Keane recently and he told him that United would never win anything with Daley Blind as their CB. This, along with Rio's recent comments is a bit puzzling especially in light of Blind's recent performances. Still early days, but I"m much more concerned about our striker situation than I am about Blind as our CB.

dsch

But can he defend against Hazard and Costa who love running at players, Silva and Aguero who does the same or Arsenal mids when they overlap the attack? Until he does well against those teams, I think the jury is still out on him.
If the jury comes in and it turns out he had Hazard, Costa, Silva, and Aguero in his pocket, then he would have turned out to be one of the greatest defenders of his generation. Which he probably is not, so let's just give him his due now as a surprisingly good centreback.

Ixion

He was good last season as well considering it was his debut season but certain fans went overboard after the last 5-6 games and made him out to be a scapegoat, forgetting the rest of the season. It's funny how many people said he would struggle to get a game this year too.

Akshay

Staff
He was good last season as well considering it was his debut season but certain fans went overboard after the last 5-6 games and made him out to be a scapegoat, forgetting the rest of the season. It's funny how many people said he would struggle to get a game this year too.
Tbf most people were still evaluating him at that holding midfielder position and he isn't good enough to displace any of our options there. He's been much better at centre-half than Rojo ever was last year though, so I hope he keeps his spot.

RedPnutz

Some people speak as if Rio, Vidic, Bruce, Pallister have never been beaten by any striker ever.

So what if Blind may not be great against Aguero or Costa? He's doing a good job nevertheless.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You know what the difference is? They were defenders. Blind is in defense not just because of his general player but because he wouldn't get in our midfield.

Ixion

You know what the difference is? They were defenders. Blind is in defense not just because of his general player but because he wouldn't get in our midfield.
He covered for Shaw in defense last season (and even played CB in one game). He's as much a defender as midfielder.

SirAF

Ageist
Running out of superlatives for this guy, it appears that Louie knew what he was doing when he started the Blind experiment during pre-season. Can you believe it?!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@MichaelKorleone found a clip of us trying the exact same move against Arsenal last year when Blind almost scored again. Herrera took the Schweinsteiger role of blocking off the man. It is quite a nice move.

Starts at 1:30
Wow great spot that, it's clearly something we've had planned for a while. It amazes me that more strategic corners/freekicks aren't used in football, it really could make a huge difference to have a "hockey style" freekick/penalty corner. Everybody just expects the ball to be flung into the box, but as that goal shows sometimes it's as easy as making a 10 yard sideways pass.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Blind isnt good enough to play holding for us, but I wonder is Schneiderlin that much better? Schneiderlin is a better ballstopper but Blind is netter tactically and better on the ball. Is the difference that big? Blind also played in a 4141 formation instead of the 4231, which offers far more protection and is less offensive.

facund

I like Blind as a player irrespective of where he plays because he has a great understanding of the game, solid technique and a calm demeanour. He had a few sub-par games last season but we had a habit of leaving him woefully exposed both with and without the ball when he played DM.

His biggest positive in relation to our other CB's is that you know exactly what you are going to get from him. Sure he has areas that can be considered weaker than the ideal CB but he consistently delivers on his strengths. His rivals (Rojo and Jones) may well be more suitable defenders when they are on top of their game, although though this will be increasingly up for debate as he fully adapts to the role, but you can't be sure what you will get from one game to the next with them. You can easily drill the team to compensate for Blind's weaknesses as they don't vary from week to week, with Jones he can go from sublime to ridiculous (and visa versa) within the same phase of play and it is impossible to mitigate such instances because they are so random.

Reliability and temperament are often under-rated qualities and Blind delivers both in abundance, it is a relatively new role for him so we should all be excited about how good he can be when he has sufficient time to master it.

izec

Looked great so far, fair play to him, didnt think it would work. Although, he looked bad against Gomis. I expected him to get bullied more often, but seems to be a rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.