Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sure there is space, but not much beyond the half way line, and because they sat so deep, there was little chance of long balls over the defense. Look at the video below of what Carrick does over and over again: Blind wouldn't improve on a normal Carrick.

So they are playing deep but there was no space beyond the half way line? come on man, you're running on empty now. We were camped on the edge of their box.

All the videos you could have picked that one was pretty underwhelming. Search Blind passing and compare the difference. How often did Carrick play a forward through in that video, how many of those were high risk, high reward balls?

TheSweeper

Also this Carrick vs Blind thing is irrelevant. Carrick is close to retirement & changes in his game can be seen; especially in the last game.

Blind is younger; has experience at CB & CDM, easily the 2nd best passer in our squad who plays in the first to second third and yet he has yet to get a game centrally.

ti vu

Not sure I agree that Blind was more treasured. Even under LVG I thought Smalling had to do too much of Blind's work defensively. Against lesser opposition, he was, and still is, very useful because of his passing and composure from the back. With Mourinho stating that Rojo needs some rest, it would seem that playing Blind against West Brom would be wise as he could join the midfield when we were pressing.
Smalling was used as tool to bring out the best from Blind/ cover Blind. Blind was there at first is to use his passing, build up from the back which is essential in LVG's plan.

Coming in his second year, LVG named 3 starters for his back 4 as Darmian, Blind and Shaw. Smalling & Jones were to compete for the remaining spot. Jones got ahead before injury hit him. Jones played all pre season with those above 3 pre season.

Mourinho tried to go with Blind at first, but eventually saw that his flaw is too much for being a CB & had abandoned that experiment since. So with all that in mind, as other poster said, Blind can be more treasured than Smalling in certain system; so it's not easy to say who is better or worse. It's all about the coaches' game plan/ priotize

Man Utd 1:1 Everton

dirkey

Can someone explain to me why this waste of space takes free kicks / corners? Has he ever put in a decent one?

Bojan11

Positioning wise he is fecking garbage. Reason why he isn't played CM or CB. Just leaves gaps whenever he plays.

Don't get me started on set pieces.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Ha, I know, was chuckling myself. I meant more crosses though, his crosses always hit the first man.
Arguably one of the better crossers in the team as well, at least he tries to find a man rather than floating it aimlessly in to the box.

dirkey

Arguably one of the better crossers in the team as well, at least he tries to find a man rather than floating it aimlessly in to the box.
Maybe from open play he does that. But from dead balls, he's awful in my opinion.

Rossa

There's a reason he was taken off. He offered nothing in attack and was all over the shop. He was at fault for Mirallas breaking free resulting in the corner that led to the goal. His positioning is woeful.

dirkey

There's a reason he was taken off. He offered nothing in attack and was all over the shop. He was at fault for Mirallas breaking free resulting in the corner that led to the goal. His positioning is woeful.
As much as I dislike Blind, don't think he's a good player, and don't think he was good today .. it was Fellaini at fault for losing Mirallas.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He did today the same thing he was doing as a CB all the time last year, chasing one player high up the pitch and leaving huge space behind. He can be pretty stupid and naive at times.

Ixion

He was at fault for Mirallas breaking free resulting in the corner that led to the goal. His positioning is woeful.
You might want to watch that again and pay attention to Felliani. (And pay attention to Fellaini for the corner itself while we're at it.)

Web of Bissaka

Can someone explain to me why this waste of space takes free kicks / corners? Has he ever put in a decent one?
Previous game in 2015.
And the Leicester game where people start to take notice. 1:29 & 2:17.
Also the freekick from last game. Most likely he's impressive during training.
Blind have the football qualities to be a good dead ball taker, he is a good crosser and could put decent curve to the ball with good power. He's definitely more consistent than the others in corner duty (still inconsistent imo) and is a good options in free kick selectively and tactically mind.

tomaldinho1

Good squad player and seems a decent character to have in the dressing room. Technically ppl seem to think he is a lot better than he is IMO, I don't see him consistently produce anything that makes me think he is more than just a decent footballer.

If you compare Blind to Smalling or Bailly he is miles ahead technically - because they are crap with the ball. If you compare him to other defenders from top clubs he is similar technically but way worse defensively & physically.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Helluva ball for Martial chance.

Bojan11

Have a feeling he is done here. Don't think Jose rated him from day one. Prefers playing Darmian and Young as left back. Atleast with Shaw you could say he is young and still has a chance. Where as Blind just isn't a Jose type player. He's not disciplined enough in his position.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Jose singled him out for praise recently when criticizing Shaw's lack of professionalism and he was on the bench yesterday. I don't see any indication that he's going anywhere as I think Jose likes his tactical awareness, flexibility and intelligence.

I think if you look at the squad and numbers there is plenty of room to bring in more players without losing too many more as we shed some pretty good weight with Schneiderlin and Bastian, and I'd expect to see Rooney gone and a new striker bought in his place as well as Fosu-mensah on loan next season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is a goal a game defender and not surprised Jose has been overlooking him. Said this since he joined. He did have a good season at centre back but I said back then not good enough for a starter but great option from the bench or squad.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Would have thought he was perfect for the hybrid LCB/LB role that Darmian played yesterday. Although Darmian did very well, I'm sure Blind will be a bit concerned that he was overlooked.

ti vu

That's what I am talking about Blind's positioning discipline (the rebound for the conceding goal). And it's not first issue he had since coming on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is literally the last one to blame for that goal, all three other defenders defender worse than him there.

Turamb

Not his fault more than the others

A lot of screw ups right there

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He's not a CB, he's not a LB, he's not a CM, I'm struggling to see where he fits in this squad, despite all his positive attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.