Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yes, but that was one match. Bailly has been comfortably the better player throughout the campaign. I'm not a big Blind fan, and I don't think he would work well in midfield simply due to him taking too long on the ball. However, he has been good lately, and long may it continue. Our defense looks better in possession with him and Romero.
Its not just the past few games though, Bailly has made as many mistakes if not more than Blind and he is more prone to injury owing to his playing style. The one advantage he has over Blind is his recovery pace to make up for some mistakes but Blind's distribution is an entirely different level.

Our best center back this season has been Rojo. Bailly, Blind and Jones are the next three on the same level to me and of the three Blind is more reliable and consistently shows a higher bottom level.

I still see Bailly as our starter because he fits with both Rojo and Blind while I don't think Rojo and Blind would work as well together but Blind is a lot more than a squad player and we should look to get him more games either while playing a back 3, as a DM or left back because he is good for the team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It wouldn't. Smalling's had more good games as a CB than Blind has, but Blind can also play lb and cdm. Jones may well leave this summer, but he also had a very decent stint.

I've never understood why one has to elevate one player by downplaying another. Blind was good on his own yesterday.
Questionable. Smalling elevated to the top in our defensive ranks under LVG, just like Blind did. But their praise was put to one side with the knowledge that they had midfield cover in front of them.

Blind this year has been very good at CB. He made one error vs City that led to a goal, but apart from that he hasn't made any material missteps. I don't think smalling has done the same. He can't even stay fit.

ZAGREB RED

Love the underhanded compliments on here, utility player and squad player. He comfortably outperformed Bailly yesterday, if one of them is a squad player and another the cornerstone of our defense, I don't know which is which.
I described him as a utility player, but in no way was it meant as anything other than a genuine compliment. His versatility is always valuable, especially at the moment with all the injuries. He is like a modern-day Phil Neville, but a better footballer. If he leaves in the summer and Fellaini stays, i wouldn't be surprised, but I would be annoyed. A valuable player who is chronically under-estimated.

SirMattBugsby

Love the underhanded compliments on here, utility player and squad player. He comfortably outperformed Bailly yesterday, if one of them is a squad player and another the cornerstone of our defense, I don't know which is which.
Oh they love him alright. They're just afraid of showing it for fear of 'pace and physicality', so they hide behind some words of their own.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He can easily start for Barcelona as a CB. He's just about perfectly suited for what they look for.

arthurka

Very glad we have him and he has been playing very well after being put in under difficult spell we were having..

That said he still has a huge flaw when it comes to defend collectively. He gets dragged out of position to many times. Plays players onside and follows the strikers to far leaving the middle open.

I think he gains from having players like Bailly or Smalling with him as they provide speed and strength to the backline.. He would be fantastic in a back three as he just has the passing and technique to a tee.. But being available all the time and the ease he slides right in there after being out of the side for a long time just outweigh every flaw he has. Glad he's ours..

GM K

Its not just the past few games though, Bailly has made as many mistakes if not more than Blind and he is more prone to injury owing to his playing style. The one advantage he has over Blind is his recovery pace to make up for some mistakes but Blind's distribution is an entirely different level.

Our best center back this season has been Rojo. Bailly, Blind and Jones are the next three on the same level to me and of the three Blind is more reliable and consistently shows a higher bottom level.

I still see Bailly as our starter because he fits with both Rojo and Blind while I don't think Rojo and Blind would work as well together but Blind is a lot more than a squad player and we should look to get him more games either while playing a back 3, as a DM or left back because he is good for the team.

Considering the whole season from start to now (and I am including availability / injury effect), this is how I rank our center backs:

1. Eric Bailly (despite his occasional errors, he makes up with his pace and some memorable game saving tackles. He has also been better than most on the injury front. He has also been more paired with different center backs over longer periods of time and adapted well to each of them.)

2. Marcos Rojo (Easily could have been number one but for the fact that Jose rotated him as a full back early in the season and his late season injury that has ruled him out for the rest of the campaign)

3. Daley Blind (Could also have been number one but for the fact that he has not played as full back a lot this season. Jose preferred others to him at various times of the season)

4. Phil Jones (He has played just about as much as Smalling because of injuries but that period when he was consistently available sticks out in my mind. He was really good in most of the games he played. There is no period like that that can be said for Smalling)

5. Chris Smalling (Mainly been hit by injury and when he played, he really didn't have any outstanding displays. Just your regular center back performances).

Rossa

Questionable. Smalling elevated to the top in our defensive ranks under LVG, just like Blind did. But their praise was put to one side with the knowledge that they had midfield cover in front of them.

Blind this year has been very good at CB. He made one error vs City that led to a goal, but apart from that he hasn't made any material missteps. I don't think smalling has done the same. He can't even stay fit.
Blind has mostly played lb for us this season, and his performances have varied. Smalling hasn't been as good this season, but he hasn't been worse than Blind. Blind's last couple of games have been excellent. But even as you say, it's questionable, so saying that one or the other should be flogged is knee-jerk.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Amazing player. I'm still worried José's going to shift him in the summer. Before all the injures he wasn't getting any game time, but it's been evident for some time he's a superb player.

Rossa

I just don't agree. Blind has made quite a few costly mistakes that have resulted in goals. Making a mistake and then making up for it a split second later due to recovery pace means diddly squat all seeing as he cleared his own mess. Blind can't do that. Blind often plays players onside and rushes out to intercept only to fail. He often rushes out of position, which forces our lb to drop inside as a lcb and our winger as a lb, nullyfing our left side and leaving acres of space. He has done that very often.

Bailly has made mistakes, as all cbs do, but not nearly as many as Blind, at least not as costly. Blind has not been a better cb than Smalling.

Blind's distribution is better.

This being said, it is pointless trying to argue with people who adore Blind.

ZAGREB RED

Amazing player. I'm still worried José's going to shift him in the summer. Before all the injures he wasn't getting any game time, but it's been evident for some time he's a superb player.
Exactly, wouldn't be a surprise if moved on in the summer and - worse still - Fellaini stays. I also think Blind makes a good CB partnership with Bailly.

togg

I just don't agree. Blind has made quite a few costly mistakes that have resulted in goals. Making a mistake and then making up for it a split second later due to recovery pace means diddly squat all seeing as he cleared his own mess. Blind can't do that. Blind often plays players onside and rushes out to intercept only to fail. He often rushes out of position, which forces our lb to drop inside as a lcb and our winger as a lb, nullyfing our left side and leaving acres of space. He has done that very often.

Bailly has made mistakes, as all cbs do, but not nearly as many as Blind, at least not as costly. Blind has not been a better cb than Smalling.

I thought many people on here have been saying that Smalling is a liability, hasn't developed or fulfilled his early potential and they want him sold?

arthurka

The best defensive performance of the season for me. Everything was so fresh and so clean.
Him and Bailly have made a solid pairing and with Darmian playing like a italian world cup winner this looks promising.. Not going to go to Valencia who just plays flawless all the time.. Two of Celta's best players were put to bed early yesterday as Darmian and Valencia just kept them tucked in all night..

Rossa

I thought many people on here have been saying that Smalling is a liability, hasn't developed or fulfilled his early potential and they want him sold?
Lots of people don't like him because he looks awkward when defending and subsequently love Blind because he is more elegant in his defending. People like different players, and then there's a bandwagon as well.

Blind was really good yesterday though!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's a much better defender than people give him credit for. Yes he has his limitations but he actually deals with strikers bigger and quicker than him fairly well. I would say he's a better CB than LB.

As others have said IF Jose did sell him Barca should snap him up. He would be great for them in a back 3.

togg

wh
With all of those great defensive displays from Bailly and most notably Rojo, you take one game from Blind where he had to do very little defending against a very mediocre team?
Yes, Bailly and Rojo have really developed a great partnership. Rojo has been a revelation this season, backed up by the huge disappointment by fans when he got injured.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Blind has mostly played lb for us this season, and his performances have varied. Smalling hasn't been as good this season, but he hasn't been worse than Blind. Blind's last couple of games have been excellent. But even as you say, it's questionable, so saying that one or the other should be flogged is knee-jerk.
It's not completely knee jerk given the manager has praised the attitude of one and criticised the attitude of another.

The fact that Blind can be just as competent in Smalling's primary position whilst also being capable in 1-2 other positions is another matter.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With all of those great defensive displays from Bailly and most notably Rojo, you take one game from Blind where he had to do very little defending against a very mediocre team?
That is the principle of my post isn't it ? He's impressed me a lot, doesn't mean I don't rate the others as better than him.

youngrell

Always been a big fan of Blind and last night's performance was very typical of him. His calmness on the ball, passing from the back and his general reading of the game is always a great asset to the team. I also like how he presses the ball sometimes, he usually picks the right moments to do so.

He has a tendency to have lapses of concentration now and then, and finds himself behind the rest of the defensive line sometimes, but I feel this gets highlighted a little more with him than other defenders. Much like any mistake Pogba makes gets far more scrutiny than his peers.

Rossa

That is the principle of my post isn't it ? He's impressed me a lot, doesn't mean I don't rate the others as better than him.
So you think it was his best defensive individual performance this season, or the best individual defensive performance of the team this season? If it's the first then I agree, if it's the latter then I strongly disagree. He has impressed me in his last couple of games, but he is some way short of some of the displays of Bailly and Rojo. Yesterday was a 7/10 performance - not because he was bad, but because he wasn't tested more, just like Romero did well, but that hardly qualifies as a 10/10 due to a lack of things to do, really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So you think it was his best defensive individual performance this season, or the best individual defensive performance of the team this season? If it's the first then I agree, if it's the latter then I strongly disagree. He has impressed me in his last couple of games, but he is some way short of some of the displays of Bailly and Rojo. Yesterday was a 7/10 performance - not because he was bad, but because he wasn't tested more, just like Romero did well, but that hardly qualifies as a 10/10 due to a lack of things to do, really.
My friend, how I rate performances and how you do may and probably differ. You disagree with it and that is that.

prath92

He has 36 appearances. Surely that means that he was very very good for at least 30 (it's more than that but let's put it at 30) of those 36 games? Which is very very good for a CB. If Stones had played 36 games and played well in 30 of them he would be hailed as best in the world.

pseudo_canadian

Very clever player, he reads the game incredibly well and always looks in control. He's been one of my favorite players since we signed him.

I'd be surprised if Mourinho sold him. He's made a lot of appearances this season and he's arguably the most consistent performers in the entire squad. Not sure why Mourinho would want to get rid of that sort of option.

Robbie Boy

I really hope he doesn't get moved on this summer. He's a good player a very good player to have in the squad.

Festive Sandvich

I really hope he doesn't get moved on this summer. He's a good player a very good player to have in the squad.
Me too, my worry is that Jose seems to like his players physical, especially his central defenders and midfielders. Wish he'd try Blind out with Ander and Pogba in a midfield 3, bit of everything in there.

shield

Very good. The ball just kept on coming back at Celta, with him at CB. Pogba and Herrera were doing enough to attack and when Blind is there as a CB, he is also able to start attacks from behind so our attacking game definitely improved.

I don't know why, but I am still worried about him as a CB. Think he needs some one like Fellaini in front to be completely effective. Think he works best with Smalling even though he is playing with Bailey now. Smalling is very good in the air. I don't think there is any other CB better at defending aerial duels than Smalling. Smalling can almost negate the aerial threat of two attacking players, he is that good. But he is very poor with the ball at his feet and this is where he is helped by the presence of Blind. Blind on the other hand, is good every where but still needs help defending aerial balls, and struggles if he repeatedly has to use his strength (he is fine if he does not have to do that often).

Hope he continues his good form to the next match. Arsenal will be more rested than us and will have had more time to prepare, and Blind will be a bit tired after today's match, so things could get a little tricky.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We need to tie him down to a new contract asap.

I feel much more confident with him starting besides Bailly than Jones or Smalling. Only one I'd swap him for in our current squad is Rojo.

I really hope Jose see this and isn't absolutely locked into his way of thinking about CB's being physical beasts.

Blind is a perfect CB for a team who are where we want to be, that is a team that is in control of 99% of matches and can build from behind while dominating the opponent and soaking up pressure, quickly transitioning from defence to attack.

marlowe78

Thought he was our best defender. That would be a joke if he got purchased by a club like Barca and Fellaini stays. :houllier:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good squad player, and invaluable when we have our annual centre back crisis.

That said, i'd never have him in a first choice lineup, so will it be enough to Blind to be backup?

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
He's a good squad player to have as he can give you a fairly solid performance in a number of positions and doesn't seem the type to kick up a fuss if he isn't playing. He's got his flaws and his strengths. His one main flaw other than his lack of pace is his constant desire to chase or press the ball. That can be great if the whole team is in sync but we don't really play a mega pressing game in the majority of games and it can cause him to get dragged into positions which leave us open. I do think there are certain games which suit him though, in games we are expecting to have most of the ball he should really be starting a lot more in my opinion.

Reactions: Penna

Home&Away

My favourite player but a luxury player.

The way he pressed high and dropped low from CB shows he really should be given a chance at DM. Ppgba & herrera would both become total monsters next to a player who can read the game so well. Would make the defence better for the same reason. Plus our corners and our long ball from defence would lead to much more.

Shame since I don't see it happening unless he somehow wins the boss over after an EL final.

He's a fine CB. It's his best position. He's my favorite player. It's good to see him back in the centre, but with Rojo's injury, it's not in good circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.