Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

Played very well I thought. Very useful player to have in the squad.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
Thankfully he had Smalling behind him. He was made fun of by Traore in the 40th min. Otherwise fine and helped out Darmian as well.
Didn't he take the ball off Traore with his tackle? He stayed close to him and got the ball away from Traore in the end. How is that being made fun of?
Besides that Traore is a very tricky player who turns easily.

itso 7

Very good game from him and absolutely loved his reading of the game last night which put out a lot of fires before anything became of them. And yes him and Smalling complement each other really well.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
What a clever footballer Blind is! just wish he could steal someone like Tyler Blacketts body who isn't a good enough footballer. For a man with no pace or much height he has to depend solely on his magical footballing brain. Similar to Mata

SirMattBugsby

What a clever footballer Blind is! just wish he could steal someone like Tyler Blacketts body who isn't a good enough footballer. For a man with no pace or much height he has to depend solely on his magical footballing brain. Similar to Mata
Comes straight from the Dutch school of thought, doesn't he? "The most important part of a footballer's body is the brain."

Absolutely love the guy :)

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Comes straight from the Dutch school of thought, doesn't he? "The most important part of a footballer's body is the brain."

Absolutely love the guy :)
People like him and Mata are so deprived with their physical attributes which kind of underlines just how damn good they are mentally.

Im glad he started last night. Shows Mourinho does value him and sees a place for him in the team. I was worried he was being phased out a little.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Blackett's body is all show and no substance. He isn't fast or strong.

pseudo_canadian

You're pretty much a lunatic if you don't want Daley Blind at this club.

He's been a fantastic servant so far in his short time here and has rarely put a foot wrong.

His football intelligence is off the charts. Great player to have in the squad.

Shuriken

Still want to see Blind given another go in the midfield. Experiment with in the pre-season or whatever, just try it out. Surely he will provide us with at least some depth in the center of the pitch during the course of a full season, no matter the competition.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Still want to see Blind given another go in the midfield. Experiment with in the pre-season or whatever, just try it out. Surely he will provide us with at least some depth in the center of the pitch during the course of a full season, no matter the competition.
Would be interesting to see. In his first season when we played him there I generally remember him as being decent enough and a fairly consistent/reliable passer, but not particularly prone to taking risks or searching for dangerous through balls etc. He's obviously been here a couple more years since then though and as he gets older you'd hope he might now be more confident there than he was back in 14/15.

Either way though, very handy player to have around no matter what position he plays. I've never really been completely sold on him as a centre-back, particularly with the idea of him being one of our main centre-backs, but he's relatively reliable there in games where we're in control and not under too much pressure, and he's someone who's incredibly useful to have because he can cover three or four positions. I think you could argue he almost occupies a role similar to the one O'Shea had for us, only while O'Shea was more of a physical utility player, Blind's more of a technical one.

NoPace

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba-Blind-Herrera was our best midfield. Fellaini has played well but he's better used for specific tactical jobs rather than week to week. Blind can pass and tackle, though he might not have great lateral mobility (which Herrera has done well).

Mourinho doesn't seem to think so, though, or he'd have used him this year there at some point.

Runner

Some people have been very critical of Blind since he arrived here. He has a great footballing brain. I feel like he's exactly the type of player that managers love. He's quiet and doesn't kick up a fuss in the media. I hope he stays with the club for a long time.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Would be interesting to see. In his first season when we played him there I generally remember him as being decent enough and a fairly consistent/reliable passer, but not particularly prone to taking risks or searching for dangerous through balls etc. He's obviously been here a couple more years since then though and as he gets older you'd hope he might now be more confident there than he was back in 14/15.
But was that him or LVG?

shield

Good performance. Think the 'Smalling - Blind' combination is one of the best we have and they know each others game well.

If we have a good transfer window then we can mix the new players with players like Smalling, Blind, Darmain, Fellaini and have a cracking season next year.

Shuriken

Either way though, very handy player to have around no matter what position he plays. I've never really been completely sold on him as a centre-back, particularly with the idea of him being one of our main centre-backs, but he's relatively reliable there in games where we're in control and not under too much pressure, and he's someone who's incredibly useful to have because he can cover three or four positions. I think you could argue he almost occupies a role similar to the one O'Shea had for us, only while O'Shea was more of a physical utility player, Blind's more of a technical one.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba-Blind-Herrera was our best midfield. Fellaini has played well but he's better used for specific tactical jobs rather than week to week. Blind can pass and tackle, though he might not have great lateral mobility (which Herrera has done well).

Mourinho doesn't seem to think so, though, or he'd have used him this year there at some point.
Let's see if it can change for next season, perhaps we'll see this after some recruitments in other positions.

Blind is a pretty good example of the modern total footballer. Perhaps he would do a better job in Mourinho's midfield than LVG's. I base that on nothing really, but I just don't see the harm in deploying him in the midfield as a trial in pre-season. Mobility is always good, but not what a sitting midfielder should rely on. One could even argue that those attributes are more relevant for full-backs and centre-backs.

With injuries and suspensions (and other various reasons) pretty much inevitable in an entire campaign, it'd be a very wise choice to have Blind as a backup in midfield too, not just as full-back or centre-back.

Speaking of which, I yet again must say that I still can't grasp how few injuries (or suspensions) Chelsea have had this season, even if they haven't played so many matches. However, that's another subject.

My point is that squad depth is crucial, especially for the bigger clubs. No one plays with one starting eleven the whole season. Although that might be hard to believe after browsing through any given club's message boards. It's as if posters completely ignore about injuries and suspensions.

"We just need X for this position and Y in that, and Z in this and we're all set!" – that's the type of reasoning I'm referring to. Quite odd. Blind could probably fill out the role of X, Y and Z though.

NoPace

I'm always comfortable seeing him out there. Not sure there's much point in pursuing Dier when Blind seems like a good fit for any role he might play. He's smaller and less athletic but a bit better on the ball and has better defensive instincts

Status
Not open for further replies.