Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You say this but he's done more in his time at United than Jones and Rojo have in the same time period. Blind has already shown countless times he can play at a high level in that position.
We can agree to disagree on this I thought yes he had some good games at centre back but other times he was a complete liability. Jones and Rojo are just as bad although Jones is slightly better of the three imo.
I get there is Blind fans and some parts of his game is great but he’s lacking big time in pace and he gets caught because of it. At left back teams were starting to try and target him. That’s how I saw it anyway. Not good enough so let’s move him on. Good signing for value but never a starter in a title winning squad imo.

Web of Bissaka

Woa, what's with this "Mourinho doesn't prefer Blind" or/and "Blind not Mourinho's type of players" narratives?

Rewriting actual stories of what have happened?
Forget already what happened last season and early half of this season?
  • Daley Blind is arguably in the list of "R. Carvalho" type of Jose defender in the not so aggressive sense compare to his CB partner. Obviously, not totally the same, and the quality is different. Mourinho at times plays with two CBs who have different styles yet compliment each other eg. Terry and Carvalho after Terry and Gallas doesn't work.
  • Consistent CB partnership is important, highly prioritized by many managers like SAF. Oh, and Jose too.
  • Jose praised Blind in a good number of times interviews. No reason to kept on overpraising a player known clearly for his good attitude and professionalism. It's clear enough he rates him from the number of decisions and games he gave for/to Blind.
Blind can't work with Mourinho's system? Really? His long ball, range of passing, off-the-ball movements, and creativity are often useful in our set-up and in number of our past performances i.e. when we're keeping possession, transitioning possession to upfield, building attacks from the back, long pass weapon for counter attacks, fantastic movement and link-up plays in attacks, etc. It's good, very good actually when it clicks.

Season 16/17.
[*]Who Mourinho decides to be the first choice CB to partner up with Bailly? Daley Blind.

[*]We play different system than the previous LVG one. Now our defense is more exposed and have more spaces to defend with higher line. And opponent knows this so they target Blind.. well the left side of our defense actually since that's the weakest, Valencia and Bailly on the right was great.

[*]So how did he performed as CB? Very good at first, a good run of games against many small teams, then against top team, where all his drawbacks are exposed.

[*]Should we really continue with Bailly-Blind partnership since the level is clearly not good enough? No, not the right forward, we have to do better.

[*]So Jose starts experimenting with the defence, eventually found Rojo to be the best partner to Bailly.

[*]Where was Blind? Jose praised his attitude and still played him out at LB, where his performances are mixed, yet often always defensively exposed by pace.

[*]Does he still play after that? Yeap, often at the bench though for clear reasons, at LB and at the end of the season, proved to be a good dependable squad player, finishing at CB. We're not up against top teams end of season mind.

[*]39 appearances.

Season 17/18.
[*]Summer, got Lindelof, initially supposed to arrive in Jan. Relating with our CB situation of injuries, he's here to be more available and to be a better option. His style of play is different compare to our other CBs except Blind. Again, still different, but overall similar. Basically Lindelof is an "upgrade" to Blind, much better suited at CB and perhaps even better partner to Bailly, since they have different styles. Bailly best playing aggressive, while Lindelof is more "relaxed". Obviously, his form is not convincing this first season.

[*]So how about Blind? Is he out of squad? Nope, not at first. Mourinho plays him both at LB mainly (where he played well, but not convincing to be the first choice, and eventually lost to Young and Shaw who are better suited there) and few games as CDM.

[*]Performances at LB and CDM? Overall, not convincing nor consistent, did contribute and execute few flashes of brilliance though.

[*]Should he play at CB? Nope, we have many options for that, age and potential wise, perhaps even new elite class CB, and Jose is preparing for the future with Lindelof.

[*]15 appearances and injured.

Conclusion? Good squad player who can cover LB, CDM and CB, but all of those three are pretty much "settled" already.
So do we still need him? Maybe just to cover LB, depending on who goes in and out this summer. CDM and CB are "sorted" with stacks of players.

Basically, Daley Blind have been preferred many times earlier, and given plenty of chances already by Jose.
I'm a big fan of him but have to face the fact that he have not done enough.
Blind's fans being blind fans?

Loublaze

ATLien
We can agree to disagree on this I thought yes he had some good games at centre back but other times he was a complete liability. Jones and Rojo are just as bad although Jones is slightly better of the three imo.
I get there is Blind fans and some parts of his game is great but he’s lacking big time in pace and he gets caught because of it. At left back teams were starting to try and target him. That’s how I saw it anyway. Not good enough so let’s move him on. Good signing for value but never a starter in a title winning squad imo.
Blind played in two title winning starting 11s in the post Fergie era (Europa cup and FA cup), something Jones hasn't achieved in his career here since joining in 2010. Blind also played 55 games in 2015/16 while Jones hasn't ever managed more than 31 games in a single season since he's been at United

Lawman

Blind played in two title winning starting 11s in the post Fergie era (Europa cup and FA cup), something Jones hasn't achieved in his career here since joining in 2010. Blind also played 55 games in 2015/16 while Jones hasn't ever managed more than 31 games in a single season since he's been at United
Doesn’t say he is good enough to be where we want to be a bit like Herrera for me.

haram

I think Jones is a better centre half than Blind but he’s always injured anyway.

Loublaze

ATLien
Aerially, speed wise, a more natural fit at CB, better in the tackle.
I think Blind has better reading of the game, more composed on the ball, better passer and less prone to error and rash challenges that constiute a large part of Jones' tackles. Good CBs tackle less.

haram

I think Blind has better reading of the game, more composed on the ball, better passer and less prone to error and rash challenges that constiute a large part of Jones' tackles. Good CBs tackle less.
I think all you have to do is stick a physical presence on Blind for long balls or a quick RF who works inbetween the LB and Blind and he’ll get exposed.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think all you have to do is stick a physical presence on Blind for long balls or a quick RF who works inbetween the LB and Blind and he’ll get exposed.
I remember Blind comfortably handling Lukaku when Martinez tactically deployed him in the exact scenario you've brought up. The 1-0 win at Old Trafford in 2016. Lennon played on the right as well.

haram

I remember Blind comfortably handling Lukaku when Martinez tactically deployed him in the exact scenario you've brought up. The 1-0 win at Old Trafford in 2016
I remember that too, Blind handled it well. I don’t think it is something that would consistently happen though. Certainly at the top level he will be burnt pretty easily. He lacks height, strength and pace.

Loublaze

ATLien
I remember that too, Blind handled it well. I don’t think it is something that would consistently happen though. Certainly at the top level he will be burnt pretty easily. He lacks height, strength and pace.
What top level? CL? He's played almost 140 games for United in league and cup football and those attributes he lacks have seldom left him exposed. Many posters brought this up when LVG first played him at the back but they weren't vindicated, Blind did more than a job at CB. You can count more times Rojo and Jones have been individually exposed for goals against us since Blind signed.

haram

What top level? CL? He's played almost 140 games for United in league and cup football and those attributes he lacks have seldom left him exposed. Many posters brought this up when LVG first played him at the back but they weren't vindicated, Blind did more than a job at CB. You can count more times Rojo and Jones have been individually exposed for goals against us since Blind signed.
And in a different system? Van Gaal’s system made our defense look better than it actually was. Blind is getting sold and he’ll probably end up in a Europa League level team.

If you think he is actually a better CB than Jones, ok. He will never be good enough for a team trying to win the title either way, sorry. I dont even care if Jones is sold at this point either.

Loublaze

ATLien
And in a different system? Van Gaal’s system made our defense look better than it actually was. Blind is getting sold and he’ll probably end up in a Europa League level team.

If you think he is actually a better CB than Jones, ok. He will never be good enough for a team trying to win the title either way, sorry. I dont even care if Jones is sold at this point either.
This argument is so worn out on here. Blind has played well in different systems and positions for United. He actually looked good playing for Mourinho last season up until the City game when we lost 2-1 at OT and wasn't seen again for a while. He's had MOTM games as a LB and has excelled in a back three. Its not a question about who's better, Blind has out performed Jones when given the chance and has offered more reliability.

haram

This argument is so worn out on here. Blind has played well in different systems and positions for United. He actually looked good playing for Mourinho last season up until the City game when we lost 2-1 at OT and wasn't seen again for a while. He's had MOTM games as a LB and has excelled in a back three. Its not a question about who's better, Blind has out performed Jones when given the chance and has offered more reliability.
The City game where de Bruyne burst right through our defence (correct me if im wrong)? What does him having good games at LB have to do with him at CB? Is a back three the same as a back four? Can you explain why Blind is mot playing at CB anymore? Can you explain why he is going to be sold?

The Van Gaal setup protected our back four a lot. He is leaving this summer and that’s the end of it. He isn’t a better CB than Jones in my opinion.

Loublaze

ATLien
The City game where de Bruyne burst right through our defence (correct me if im wrong)? What does him having good games at LB have to do with him at CB? Is a back three the same as a back four? Can you explain why Blind is mot playing at CB anymore? Can you explain why he is going to be sold?

The Van Gaal setup protected our back four a lot. He is leaving this summer and that’s the end of it. He isn’t a better CB than Jones in my opinion.
Yes that game. Blind is not playing as a CB because Mourinho doesn't see him as one, it takes nothing away from the fact he gave us more consistency in that position when he was a starter there than Jones or Rojo have managed between them. Lindelof is not even exactly showing that he's been an upgrade on Blind.
If the set up protected the back four so much than why was Smalling voted by his fellow teammates as players player of the year in 2015/16? Why did Jones and Rojo struggle that season (outside of injuries) if the setup protected them so much? Why did Smalling and Blind both playe over 50 games if it basically didn't matter who played back there? The setup or system can't hide a weak player at this level. Blind will probably leave, but he's done well in his time at United. Better than both Rojo and Jones.

Lawman

I can’t agree @Loublaze Blind does play his games at times looking elegant due to his composure but he makes a lot of errors at times and has been exposed a right few times. Jones is more suited to central defence as he is more physical, stronger, speed and like Blind he’s actually decent on the ball, Blind has more composure no doubt.
Last season I got the feeling teams were targeting Blind by trying to isolate him in games. I think he should definitely be in an around the squad as he’s a handy player but I’d rather see Mitchell play left back and either Jones Smalling or Lindelof or Rojo who the latter two I don’t see it still ahead of Blind at centre back as they may have a future but not Blind (Tunzabe or TFM would be preferable for me). I’m the same on Lingard (hope to have mind changed on that score but the kids lifted his game so fair play) Herrera and Mata not good enough for regular starting 11 if we want to win the title and challenge for CL. Just my opinion and I do it get it wrong sometimes but have called a few things against the grain and been easy target to shoot down later to be absolved lol

Lawman

Yes that game. Blind is not playing as a CB because Mourinho doesn't see him as one, it takes nothing away from the fact he gave us more consistency in that position when he was a starter there than Jones or Rojo have managed between them. Lindelof is not even exactly showing that he's been an upgrade on Blind.
If the set up protected the back four so much than why was Smalling voted by his fellow teammates as players player of the year in 2015/16? Why did Jones and Rojo struggle that season (outside of injuries) if the setup protected them so much? Why did Smalling and Blind both playe over 50 games if it basically didn't matter who played back there? The setup or system can't hide a weak player at this level. Blind will probably leave, but he's done well in his time at United. Better than both Rojo and Jones.
That one is debatable as Jones has had a few good runs in the years he’s been here although not good enough granted overall to what we were all expecting him to be (Duncan Edwards line). Of course it can hide a player a system as that what systems are for depleting your weakness ie slow defence drop deeper etc or central defender pull over behind quicker, I’m not really getting the system cannot hide a weakness in your players.

Hitchez

Jones is a much better defender than Blind. In fact Jones is a very good defender when he's fit and ha a run of games which is his whole issue. It's not really a coincidence that by and large he's actually been first choice under all our managers beginning with Fergie when he's managed to stay fit for any length of time.

That said I do think Blind gets a bit underrated. I'm also surprised he hasn't been tried too often at LB despite his lack of pace. He had that great stretch of games at LB in his first season.

haram

There really is no arguing with you. What does Smalling winning player of the year have to do anything? If you dont want to admit that systems can enhance the level of players then what's the point in this? The defence was protected and we were dire going forward. Yeah, the defence looked better for it. Doesn't make Blind good enough. He will be sold this summer and it's the right decision. I'm done with this.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He is a player with some very valuable qualities, and in the correct system and football he could look like another Salah/KdB for Mourinho.

gajender

He is a player with some very valuable qualities, and in the correct system and football he could look like another Salah/KdB for Mourinho.
I am no Mourinho fan but honestly there is no system which would elevate Blind performances to Salah/Kdb level they were highly talented young players who have improved year on year and now are adding consistency to their game as they mature, where as Blind is nothing more than a decent pro who is suppose to be in his prime but doesn't even have a fixed position currently he would struggle to make bench at any top European club.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Always liked Blind. Thought he’d make it at least as a squad player here. But doesn’t seem to be.

He’s a very good, intelligent footballer but sadly his lack of physical attributes (strength, speed) meant he was never good enough to cement a regular starting place for us. Though I thought our defense looked good under LvG when Blind was starting as a LCB iirc.

Litch

He needs to stay as he's a good squad player that gives you cover in a number of positions.

haram

He needs to stay as he's a good squad player that gives you cover in a number of positions.
Young should be cover at LB, we have a number of CB's and we will sign at least one CM. There is no need for him anymore.

haram

I still maintain his best position is DM and that he should move to a club that will play him there. That's the position in which he'll have the best career possible.
Even if that is the case, it wont be for a team trying to win the PL. That's the level we are at, some of these players are just not good enough.

Litch

Young should be cover at LB, we have a number of CB's and we will sign at least one CM. There is no need for him anymore.
Simple maths. One player, one salary, one place on the bench against a number of players to do the same cover. I envisage a number of the CB's won't be here next season anyway.

haram

Simple maths. One player, one salary, one place on the bench against a number of players to do the same cover. I envisage a number of the CB's won't be here next season anyway.
Blind doesn't even play at CB for us anymore so I don't get the logic that he is actual real cover there. You can argue this one player (Blind) can cover multiple positions, but just not to a quality of the other options anyway. So what's the point? It's not like we only have one spot on the bench. I'd rather have someone like Young on the bench who can play both fullback positions anyway.

Litch

Blind doesn't even play at CB for us anymore so I don't get the logic that he is actual real cover there. You can argue this one player (Blind) can cover multiple positions, but just not to a quality of the other options anyway. So what's the point? It's not like we only have one spot on the bench. I'd rather have someone like Young on the bench who can play both fullback positions anyway.
That's absolutely ridiculously. Clearly maths aren't your strongest point but it's one player on the bench which allows you to maybe put another attacking player on. Didn't say he played CB anymore but he's proved for a couple of seasons that he can...

haram

That's absolutely ridiculously. Clearly maths aren't your strongest point but it's one player on the bench which allows you to maybe put another attacking player on. Didn't say he played CB anymore but he's proved for a couple of seasons that he can...
You're saying he can sit on the bench and cover multiple positions... my answer is that there are players who can cover in these positions better than him anyway and it's not like we only have one spot on the bench so we can afford to have them on there. Not that difficult to understand....

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I still maintain his best position is DM and that he should move to a club that will play him there. That's the position in which he'll have the best career possible.
100% this. He was fine at Ajax playing left back, but he really came to life in his last season there when was used in midfield a lot. Followed by an excellent World Cup in that hybrid role. This winter he was on the verge of joining AS Roma, a club like that would be the level where I suspect he would thrive, playing in midfield a lot and occasionally filling in in defense.

Also, some of the claims on this page are really weird @Loublaze. Regardless of the fact that they're completely different players, Jones is more talented than Blind for sure. It's actually not even up for debate.

Loublaze

ATLien
100% this. He was fine at Ajax playing left back, but he really came to life in his last season there when was used in midfield a lot. Followed by an excellent World Cup in that hybrid role. This winter he was on the verge of joining AS Roma, a club like that would be the level where I suspect he would thrive, playing in midfield a lot and occasionally filling in in defense.

Also, some of the claims on this page are really weird @Loublaze. Regardless of the fact that they're completely different players, Jones is more talented than Blind for sure. It's actually not even up for debate.
Not up for debate Jesus fvcking Christ :lol:. I guess your opinion trumps all. The fact still remains Blind has outperformed Jones and shown more reliability and consistency in his time here than Jones has since 2010.

Loublaze

ATLien
Elegance personified. No one can pass a ball like Blind in this team at the moment, only Carrick in his pomp.

Loublaze

ATLien
That one is debatable as Jones has had a few good runs in the years he’s been here although not good enough granted overall to what we were all expecting him to be (Duncan Edwards line). Of course it can hide a player a system as that what systems are for depleting your weakness ie slow defence drop deeper etc or central defender pull over behind quicker, I’m not really getting the system cannot hide a weakness in your players.
All im saying is weak players will be exposed in any system they play. The system is indeed made to bring out the best out of players but managers pick players who best fit the system. With that said, why were Jones and Rojo largely overlooked by LVG if they system gave the CBs so much protection? Injuries aside, Jones and Rojo struggled under LVG and fell below the pecking order to a converted CB.

Lawman

All im saying is weak players will be exposed in any system they play. The system is indeed made to bring out the best out of players but managers pick players who best fit the system. With that said, why were Jones and Rojo largely overlooked by LVG if they system gave the CBs so much protection? Injuries aside, Jones and Rojo struggled under LVG and fell below the pecking order to a converted CB.
Yeah I agree it just looked like you were saying something different buddy with the system not being able to hide weaknesses in players.

Dec9003

I honestly think if we let him go in the summer we'll regret it. He's by far one of our most composed players, and the rumours that him and Mata will be sold (with Carrick retiring) is worrying.
The level of passing will drop by a big margin, to me it seems a shame to let a player with Blinds qualities go so we can persist with injury hit players like Rojo,Jones, Shaw etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.