Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

I honestly think if we let him go in the summer we'll regret it. He's by far one of our most composed players, and the rumours that him and Mata will be sold (with Carrick retiring) is worrying.
The level of passing will drop by a big margin, to me it seems a shame to let a player with Blinds qualities go so we can persist with injury hit players like Rojo,Jones, Shaw etc.
We are not able to give Blind any game time, because though Blind is good at passing and intelligent, he is not better than any of our CBs in defending and is a below average LB. There are no other vacant spots for him. He is at a good age where he needs to play consistently and we are not giving him that.
It is in best interests of both parties that we let him go.

I liked Blind from the time he came in, but he is wasting his time here. He has to go.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We are not able to give Blind any game time, because though Blind is good at passing and intelligent, he is not better than any of our CBs in defending and is a below average LB. There are no other vacant spots for him. He is at a good age where he needs to play consistently and we are not giving him that.
It is in best interests of both parties that we let him go.

I liked Blind from the time he came in, but he is wasting his time here. He has to go.
I think we could definitely find a place for Blind. He may not be the best left back in the world, but Young and Shaw aren't exactly pulling up any trees either. As for midfield he could have started plenty of matches for us as a holding player. Matic had a pretty awful run which seems to be forgotten now. But even with him playing well again, Blind operating next to him spraying passes is a much more balanced midfield than the one we saw against Sevilla with Fellaini in it for example.
He isn't our worst centre back either imo. Jones and Rojo have their qualities but are barely ever fit. I'd rather keep Blind knowing he can play matches regularly.
To me Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Lindelof. Is a more balanced group of Cb's than Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Lindelof.

RedDevil@84

He isn't our worst centre back either imo. Jones and Rojo have their qualities but are barely ever fit. I'd rather keep Blind knowing he can play matches regularly.
To me Smalling, Bailly, Blind, Lindelof. Is a more balanced group of Cb's than Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Lindelof.
As it stands, Jones/Rojo will start at CB and Blind will come in only if Jose doesn't want to pair Smalling and Lindelof. So basically. he is well below in the list.

And at LB, he is no better than Young/Shaw and it is already clear Jose sees Young as the best of the lot.

And how do you intend to fit in Matic and Blind every time?

Anyways, my larger point is Blind doesn't have the time to play this waiting game and getting an odd game here and there. He needs to leave for himself.

Dec9003

As it stands, Jones/Rojo will start at CB and Blind will come in only if Jose doesn't want to pair Smalling and Lindelof. So basically. he is well below in the list.

And at LB, he is no better than Young/Shaw and it is already clear Jose sees Young as the best of the lot.

And how do you intend to fit in Matic and Blind every time?

Anyways, my larger point is Blind doesn't have the time to play this waiting game and getting an odd game here and there. He needs to leave for himself.
He's at the bottom of the list in all positions at the moment, my point is simply that he shouldn't be.
He's a million times better than Shaw for me, and offers better attacking play than Young.
We wouldn't have to fit him in with Matic every time, but he could/should have played plenty of premier league matches this season.
I just think he's good enough to have played matches at all three of lb/cb/cdm this season, and when he goes in the summer we will regret letting him go.

haram

He's at the bottom of the list in all positions at the moment, my point is simply that he shouldn't be.
He's a million times better than Shaw for me, and offers better attacking play than Young.
We wouldn't have to fit him in with Matic every time, but he could/should have played plenty of premier league matches this season.
I just think he's good enough to have played matches at all three of lb/cb/cdm this season, and when he goes in the summer we will regret letting him go.
This is the type of stuff that is holding us back. Get rid and get top quality in. We cant complain about being where we are then hang on to players like Blind. Players like Blind and Herrera have had chances in the team but now we are at a higher level. Transitioning Herrera out and replacing him with Matic is an example.

izec

Not a Mourinho player. First name on the team sheet for Van Gaal, obsolete now. Quite simple really, Jose doesnt value his qualities enough, because the whole package is lacking (height, strength and pace)

Dec9003

This is the type of stuff that is holding us back. Get rid and get top quality in. We cant complain about being where we are then hang on to players like Blind. Players like Blind and Herrera have had chances in the team but now we are at a higher level. Transitioning Herrera out and replacing him with Matic is an example.
Top quality like Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo? Hmm.

Dec9003

Ashley Young will be on the bench and Rojo is not first choice.
Ashley Young plays everygame when fit and our current requirement to start at centre back is are you fit to play.
You completely ignored my original point that Blind should have been better utilised this season, claiming that we will replace him with quality as you say, when Blind is arguably better than who we often pick.
The reason blind is going to go isn't because of his quality, it's his playstyle. Mourinho has opted for the likes of Young and Rojo who can do a job, which is up to him.

haram

Ashley Young plays everygame when fit and our current requirement to start at centre back is are you fit to play.
You completely ignored my original point that Blind should have been better utilised this season, claiming that we will replace him with quality as you say, when Blind is arguably better than who we often pick.
The reason blind is going to go isn't because of his quality, it's his playstyle. Mourinho has opted for the likes of Young and Rojo who can do a job, which is up to him.
Young will be on the bench next year. Blind will be gone. We are upgrading and getting better.

RedDevil@84

Young will be on the bench next year. Blind will be gone. We are upgrading and getting better.
I think his point was that Blind deserves to be on the bench next year (and not Young) and Blind is the best of the pick we have at CB and LB.

haram

I think his point was that Blind deserves to be on the bench next year (and not Young) and Blind is the best of the pick we have at CB and LB.
Ok, well I think it's good Mourinho doesn't agree with him in any case.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't understand why we didn't accept £18m from Roma? Did Jose seriously expect a bigger bid than that? He clearly had no intention of Blind playing, so why not cash in.

RedDevil@84

I don't understand why we didn't accept £18m from Roma? Did Jose seriously expect a bigger bid than that? He clearly had no intention of Blind playing, so why not cash in.
Because our defenders get injured at the drop of the hat and Jose wanted as many defenders as he could hold on to.

Dec9003

Exactly
I think Blind would be far more useful than Young and Rojo going forward, two players that will be at United next year.

el3mel

Exactly
I think Blind would be far more useful than Young and Rojo going forward, two players that will be at United next year.
Blind hasn't put any performance at LB close to what Young did, not even close really.

Dec9003

Blind hasn't put any performance at LB close to what Young did, not even close really.
Disagree, Youngs tendency to fire the ball in the air up the left wing is a big reason why we often struggle to retain the ball.
Young had a fine game against Liverpool, and a poor game in many others.

kundalini

Because there was no £18m bid. Roma were looking for a back-up left-back, having sold theirs to Chelsea. They were interested in a loan with an option to buy. They got Jonathan Silva from Sporting towards the end of the winter transfer window, on loan with an option to buy. Daley Blind was simply a player that was offered to Roma by an agent. Even Blind's father said Roma were after a player on loan.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/monchi-...d-daley-blind-offer/s1pwv99s3mx31s2v9aexzdfuq

Last edited:

el3mel

Disagree, Youngs tendency to fire the ball in the air up the left wing is a big reason why we often struggle to retain the ball.
Young had a fine game against Liverpool, and a poor game in many others.
Blind is a terrible LB. How anyone see otherwise is a bit strange tbh. He doesn't want or probably can't sprint or dribble forward with the ball. He gets the ball, pass it to midfield, gets it again, keep this tidy slow passing till he somehow gets a chance to cross. He has a decent cross, but there's no modern fullback who plays this slow while attacking. It was frustrating to see us playing with a left back who can't sprint with the ball. I'm already frustrated with Valencia because he doesn't sprint anymore and it's hurting us. Young can sprint and dribble at least.

Dec9003

Blind is a terrible LB. How anyone see otherwise is a bit strange tbh. He doesn't want or probably can't sprint or dribble forward with the ball. He gets the ball, pass it to midfield, gets it again, keep this tidy slow passing till he somehow gets a chance to cross. He has a decent cross, but there's no modern fullback who plays this slow while attacking. It was frustrating to see us playing with a left back who can't sprint with the ball. I'm already frustrated with Valencia because he doesn't sprint anymore and it's hurting us. Young can sprint and dribble at least.
I disagree. Blind is by no means a terrible left back. He has great positioning and can actually move the ball into midfield well.
Like Mata he is a technical player who will leave and be replaced by a more physical player (Young)

el3mel

I disagree. Blind is by no means a terrible left back. He has great positioning and can actually move the ball into midfield well.
Like Mata he is a technical player who will leave and be replaced by a more physical player (Young)
We don't need a technical player who keep passing it tidy and keep everything slow as hell in such a position of the field. We need a left back who takes the ball, sprint forward, cause havoc, overlap with the left winger and makes crosses at dangerous areas. All modern fullbacks are this.

Last edited:

Dec9003

We don't need a technical player who keep passing it tidy and keep everything slow as hell in such a position of the field. We need a left back who takes the ball, sprint forward, cause havoc, overlap with the left winger and makes crosses at dangerous. All modern fullbacks are this.
Ashley Young does not fit that description for a fullback at all.

el3mel

Ashley Young does not fit that description for a fullback at all.
Young isn't the back we need in the upcoming future. He's basically a stop gap, but I'll take him over Blind in this position any day. If you think otherwise, feel free to agree to disagree then.

Dec9003

You're deluded. He will not even be first choice next year, someone who is even better at it will be.
Calling me deluded, what a brilliant post. I'm not advocating Blind to be first choice next season, but I believe he's a better option than Ashley Young, because blind is a more talented player.

haram

Calling me deluded, what a brilliant post. I'm not advocating Blind to be first choice next season, but I believe he's a better option than Ashley Young, because blind is a more talented player.
You're deluded if you think the description provided did not match Ashley Young.

Dec9003

You're deluded if you think the description provided did not match Ashley Young.
Fair enough, God help the team that Ashley Young causes havoc against.

Kapardin

Lol no, Blind is a lower midtable player, its' his pretty passing that has deceived everyone. As someone else mentioned, he has no strength, no pace, no positioning sense and is actually quite limited in technique for all his passing.

Young should be a midtable player as well, but atleast he can hack it as a squadie at our club.

haram

We need a left back who takes the ball, sprint forward, cause havoc, overlap with the left winger and makes crosses at dangerous areas. All modern fullbacks are this.
Yeah, this does not describe Ashley Young AT ALL guys.

Dec9003

Lol no, Blind is a lower midtable player, its' his pretty passing that has deceived everyone. As someone else mentioned, he has no strength, no pace, no positioning sense and is actually quite limited in technique for all his passing.

Young should be a midtable player as well, but atleast he can hack it as a squadie at our club.
He really isn't a lower mid table player that's nonsense.
He's great technically, and his positional strength is one of his biggest strengths. Posters say Blind holds us back, but a 30 odd year old average winger at fullback is fine and dandy.

dove

Forgot he even exists. He is not really good enough in any position, will be one of the first to leave in the summer and rightly so.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Danny Blind is now Daley’s agent (after he was sacked at the Dutch NT).

He literally said live on TV that there was interest from Roma this winter, but they wanted a loan deal while United were only interested in selling.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Strange thread, I'm in the he's pretty good but not what we need camp. For me he's just not mobile enough to play in midfield or left back, and although cb is his best position he's constantly at risk of being exposed.

Brophs

The One and Only
Have there been rumours about him and his absence or something? I ask because on The Game podcast this week, Gab Marcotti said something like "I know we're all pretending Daley Blind's injured and disappeared..." after which Stewart Robson said "Yeah".

Obviously it could just be him being a tit, but it seemed like it was a known thing.
Just to bump this, in case there actually is anything in this?

Return of the Manc

A wonderful player who benefits a team rather than a collection of individualists.

Individually; Blind can be viewed as a poor player to the naked eye in comparison to the likes of Bailey or even the much worse than blind play Lindelof etc. However, in a unit, a defensive unit and within a team - Blind is a player that can make a big difference.

Whilst Jose needs 11 players individually superior to get results- many managers do not and would have viewed the way that Blind managed to get the best out of Smalling; forming one of the best defensive partnerships we have seen post SAF.

What Blind added to smalling, and would add to Rojo, Baily, Lindelof, tuenzebe is composure on the ball, a step ahead by using the brain and the eyes and giving the oppurtunity for the partner to play reactively.

Teams targeted him but didnt get the best out of him & the best step would have been to turn us to a back 3.

Bailly- Blind- Smalling.

A defensive unit rather than a collection of individuals that gets the best out of everybody. Blind provides a step ahead for both rash defenders whilst proving the ability to break the midfield with passes from deep and out wide whilst the pace and strength of Bailly and Smalling allows them to play reactively.

Unfortunately we have a manager who prefers the first type- individualists.

Check the video by Ibrahimovic - He prefers Jose over Pep - because Jose has the ability to get the best out of people who are individualists with individual goals and targets on the field to make. Ibrahimovic was too individualist for Pep in a team that was built to play as a collection of players and as a unit.

Blind is there for the second type of manager and a team & I hope he does move to that type of team because ultimately he is a fantastic player to watch that individually has people blind folded.

Respect Daley Blind :devil: - been a great player for in our Finals and cup wins thus far!

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Blind to Ajax Showtime magazine:
“United still have faith in me. I hear that the club’s high-ups are satisfied with me, and they just want me to keep on working,” he told Ajax Showtime magazine. “There are lots of transfer rumours surrounding United. Five or six players in my position are linked to the club every week, and given my contract situation it’s logical people have written about me leaving.

“Jose Mourinho gave me over 30 matches in his first year in charge, which not everyone had expected. He stated his faith in me, and I have done my best to reward him. I have a great relationship with him. He always involves me with the first team, even though he picks other players.

“That can happen at this level - this is Manchester United, and there is lots of competition for places. It’s down to me to keep working hard, get as many minutes as possible and show what I can do.”

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s not good enough to be a first choice player at a club like United.

The Lindeloff signing was an odd one though, seeing as Blind is a better passer and a better option at centre back imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.