Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
I rarely give players less than a 6 when we've won but I thought he was poor when he came on. He's awful in midfield and we originally signed him to play there and as for that air shot, haha wow.

Bwuk

I rarely give players less than a 6 when we've won but I thought he was poor when he came on. He's awful in midfield and we originally signed him to play there and as for that air shot, haha wow.
He played about 10 minutes in a game that was already over, and he hasn’t played in ages.

Felt for him with the air kick. Bet he gets the piss taken out of him rotten in training tomorrow :lol:

Ashley R1+O

He's absolutely glacial and still can't press for toffee. He'll be leaving pretty soon but it was obvious after that disaster of a season he had playing central defense that his ability to press and actually defend was near to none and as this cameo has shown, now gone. Decent guy though.

Kostov

He's alive!! Almost scored an absolute beauty too.

I laughed my ass of at that. :lol:

I like Blind though and hope he finds a decent club once he leaves.

He's absolutely glacial and still can't press for toffee. He'll be leaving pretty soon but it was obvious after that disaster of a season he had playing central defense that his ability to press and actually defend was near to none and as this cameo has shown, now gone. Decent guy though.
When was that? I never ever remember him being a disaster for a prolonged period, never mind a season.

Red4Life_#7

He was not match fit at all and it showed. I still have a glimmer of hope for his United career as he is so talented on the ball and has a great football brain. He could be cover for us as he can play so many positions. We definitely need a clearout... but receiving only 15m for him just isn't worth it. We should clear out other players before him.
He would thrive in the Spanish league if he found a top club.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was not match fit at all and it showed. I still have a glimmer of hope for his United career as he is so talented on the ball and has a great football brain. He could be cover for us as he can play so many positions. We definitely need a clearout... but receiving only 15m for him just isn't worth it. We should clear out other players before him.
I would be very surprised if he doesn't ask to be sold at the end of the season. He's barely played and there are no signs that will change in the coming seasons (if anything with new signings he may be even less likely to play). Maybe he'll be happy sitting on the bench (often not even making the bench), but I doubt it.

Red4Life_#7

I would be very surprised if he doesn't ask to be sold at the end of the season. He's barely played and there are no signs that will change in the coming seasons (if anything with new signings he may be even less likely to play). Maybe he'll be happy sitting on the bench (often not even making the bench), but I doubt it.
I agree with you mate. He could be a good DLP for us... I remember the balls he use to play in the first 2 seasons... pure quality.

el3mel

Forgot that he actually existed that I didn't even comment on his cameo against Bournemouth.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Forgotten man of the season.

Surely deserves better than this. Seems a good pro. I know he's limited in certain respects but can play a fair few positions well on occasions.

Just frozen out and nobody notices.

automaticflare

Usually is decent would much rather keep blind around than some of our center backs but Jose doesn’t rate him. Think he is very clever player much more composure. Think if he played center back our attacking threat would be improved as he can pass the ball out with some speed and precision that our other center backs dont

kundalini

Applauding the crowd when he was substituted, suggests to me that he is off.

Decent player who wants more playing time than Mourinho is prepared to give him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I always thought we would sell him to Barcelona, where he would flourish playing CB. Can't see why a team like that wouldn't be looking at him. Love the guy and even though he's a bad fit for us, he is far from a worthless player and we should realistically get 20-30m for him in this marked. Never happens tho

Ashish Negi

I think if United plays 3 at back against Chelsea, he should be starting alongside Jones and Smalling.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMack1234

He's got everything but he's too short and too slow and that's why he'll go this summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's got everything but he's too short and too slow and that's why he'll go this summer.
No, he didn't play well, so he will go. He is taller than Valencia and Young who plays as our fullbacks.

Ekeke

He isnt that slow if compared to CBs. And height isnt important if you have a decent leap and still win the ball in the air. In his time at CB he averaged more headers won than Lindelof or Bailly this season. And same amount as Bailly last season.

Blind is a very capable ball playing CB

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
In a slower league he'd look great. Genuinely think he's our best passer now that Carrick has retired. Excellent at putting the ball in the right place at the right pace (e.g. in front of the full back if they have 20 yards to move into. Yes Chris Smalling, I'm talking to you)

Pity it didn't work out with, thought he'd be the signing of that busy summer.

ti vu

He isnt that slow if compared to CBs. And height isnt important if you have a decent leap and still win the ball in the air. In his time at CB he averaged more headers won than Lindelof or Bailly this season. And same amount as Bailly last season.

Blind is a very capable ball playing CB
He is definitely slower than the average of PL CBs. CBs often being bulkier so they would be prone to quick turn of attacker, but many PL CBs have recovery pace to get back in position.

I already had a discussion on the aerial duel stats on Lindelof thread (???). Blind hardly play as CB under Mourinho so his stats sample is too small to give correct indication as well as someone as pragmatic as Mourinho would throw Blind to compete aerial ball with a proper aerial threat. Had Blind to compete in the air, it's more calculated for him to pair against a lesser opposition. If you take stats overall of all aerial duels then it's clear Blind would have the edge as full back unlikely to come against top aerial threat.

Craig Ward

I always thought we would sell him to Barcelona, where he would flourish playing CB. Can't see why a team like that wouldn't be looking at him. Love the guy and even though he's a bad fit for us, he is far from a worthless player and we should realistically get 20-30m for him in this marked. Never happens tho
He's a decent player - maybe not best suited to the prem but worthy of a top tier team in another league.

He's had good spell for us and is good on the ball.

He's one of many Jose just does not fancy. 20-30 million is asking too much though. He's not worth that I'm afraid. He's not wanted by his current manager, bang out of form and barely kicked a ball this season. 10-15 million is more realistic

Ekeke

He is definitely slower than the average of PL CBs. CBs often being bulkier so they would be prone to quick turn of attacker, but many PL CBs have recovery pace to get back in position.

I already had a discussion on the aerial duel stats on Lindelof thread (???). Blind hardly play as CB under Mourinho so his stats sample is too small to give correct indication as well as someone as pragmatic as Mourinho would throw Blind to compete aerial ball with a proper aerial threat. Had Blind to compete in the air, it's more calculated for him to pair against a lesser opposition. If you take stats overall of all aerial duels then it's clear Blind would have the edge as full back unlikely to come against top aerial threat.
What are you talking about? I'm comparing Blind's stats from before Mourinho when he played as a CB. And just like back then, our CBs deal with balls in the air that are on their side.

ti vu

What are you talking about? I'm comparing Blind's stats from before Mourinho when he played as a CB. And just like back then, our CBs deal with balls in the air that are on their side.
Then even make less sense to compare something like that. One is man marking system where Smalling was asked to be everywhere with his mark when Blind was asked to sweep. Mourinho system for most part is zonal defense. Dealing with any attackers entering your zone is different.

Ekeke

Then even make less sense to compare something like that. One is man marking system where Smalling was asked to be everywhere with his mark when Blind was asked to sweep. Mourinho system for most part is zonal defense. Dealing with any attackers entering your zone is different.
Excuses

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's a decent player - maybe not best suited to the prem but worthy of a top tier team in another league.

He's had good spell for us and is good on the ball.

He's one of many Jose just does not fancy. 20-30 million is asking too much though. He's not worth that I'm afraid. He's not wanted by his current manager, bang out of form and barely kicked a ball this season. 10-15 million is more realistic
He is ok. However didn't we pay like 20 for him? I was thinking in this marked, 20-30m would be the correct price. Not going to happen tho

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He'll go to a top Italian team and be class. He has been good here and really should be a regular. He is also nowhere near as slow or weak in the air as some like to act. And he is at least a smart enough player to compensate for his deficiencies which others aren't.

He is better than Lindelof at just about everything and despite everyone saying Blind is too small he is also quite good in the air.

He formed a great partnership with Smalling and they complemented each other very well.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
From a player I never rated to a player who is pushed away and would do still good in my view, I got to like him in the end. Just never impressed much as CB, because his lack of pace, okay in midfield but he impressed me the most as CB, playing really well next Smalling that one season, Don't understand why we bought Lindelof who is nowhere near Blind in passing and even worse in the air, total waste of money and a shame he wasn't tried in midfield, he would certainly do better as a squad player than McTominay - much better passer even though in midfield there is less time to think about a pass, movement wise certainly not slower or less dynamic, has good enough height for a midfielder and Blind knows how to win headers mostly, good at reading the game and certainly a good tackler, not afraid to go for it..

Don't wanan overrate him much but I think he will be very good for a team like Juventus in a slower paced league in a well established team.

ti vu

Your nonsense doesn't reason anything. Blind won the ball in the air an okay amount for a CB, playing as a CB. Only Smalling was winning more at the time
http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...4/2018#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...5/2017#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...5/2016#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

Now we have stats, let's look at what story it tells. Blind played CB for majority of that season, yet he averaged less than 1 aerial duel win per game!!! When comparing to our other senior CBs (across different seasons), even the ones playing less minutes, noone as CB averaged less than 1 aerial duel involvement win per game. So why's that? Smalling + man marking tactic. Smalling involved and won 121 duel in the air that season in PL!!! Remember that LVG has this short pass and pass all the way back to keeper tactic with his set piece approach, so it's not like Smalling would had the edge over seasons under Mourinho when it comes to attack our set piece on opposition half.

Then average aerial duel rate. CBs is supposed to have to edge when it come to aerial duel due to the dependence on service for the forwards. An average rate for decent CB should but 50%, not under 50% despite how little the % gap would look on paper.

K. So what's your take on these stats to claim what you said?

Edit:

Another interesting stats to compare is tackle. For a possession based football, LVG defensive players won more tackles. Why again? Man marking tactic. Always try to have a player tracking the opposition player with the ball. Since Smalling was to take care majority of aerial duels; Blind & other around defensive players raked up tackle winning numbers (% again doesn't show the different) in attempt to sweep up what Smalling couldn't sniff out of play.

With Mourinho it's zonal defense where players get into position when not in possession phase. They deal with thing going into their zones. Even the aggressive defensive players in this team doesn't boast better individual win in tackle compare to the time under LVG. So again % stats is not all to it, judging different approach.

Last edited:

Gbenger

He'll go to a top Italian team and be class. He has been good here and really should be a regular. He is also nowhere near as slow or weak in the air as some like to act. And he is at least a smart enough player to compensate for his deficiencies which others aren't.

He is better than Lindelof at just about everything and despite everyone saying Blind is too small he is also quite good in the air.

He formed a great partnership with Smalling and they complemented each other very well.
Exactly this. I can never understand why we signed Lindelof when we have Blind who is superior to him in almost everything.

Ekeke

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...4/2018#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...5/2017#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

http://www.squawka.com/football-pla...5/2016#season#1#all-matches#headed#desc#total

Now we have stats, let's look at what story it tells. Blind played CB for majority of that season, yet he averaged less than 1 aerial duel win per game!!! When comparing to our other senior CBs (across different seasons), even the ones playing less minutes, noone as CB averaged less than 1 aerial duel involvement win per game. So why's that? Smalling + man marking tactic. Smalling involved and won 121 duel in the air that season in PL!!! Remember that LVG has this short pass and pass all the way back to keeper tactic with his set piece approach, so it's not like Smalling would had the edge over seasons under Mourinho when it comes to attack our set piece on opposition half.

Then average aerial duel rate. CBs is supposed to have to edge when it come to aerial duel due to the dependence on service for the forwards. An average rate for decent CB should but 50%, not under 50% despite how little the % gap would look on paper.

K. So what's your take on these stats to claim what you said?

Edit:

Another interesting stats to compare is tackle. For a possession based football, LVG defensive players won more tackles. Why again? Man marking tactic. Always try to have a player tracking the opposition player with the ball. Since Smalling was to take care majority of aerial duels; Blind & other around defensive players raked up tackle winning numbers (% again doesn't show the different) in attempt to sweep up what Smalling couldn't sniff out of play.

With Mourinho it's zonal defense where players get into position when not in possession phase. They deal with thing going into their zones. Even the aggressive defensive players in this team doesn't boast better individual win in tackle compare to the time under LVG. So again % stats is not all to it, judging different approach.
You're right actually, I was looking at his numbers from the Europa league that season. Thought it was premier league. He averaged 1.5 in europe, but down to 1 in the league that season which is less than several players

Status
Not open for further replies.