Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

Ekeke

I seem to remember him starting the first season under Jose as a first choice centre back and doing very well but then he was dropped after the City game early in the season. We rarely saw him in a settled position again until injuries meant that he got another chance at the end of that season at CB. I agree that I don't think he was good enough in midfield or full back but he could have played more at centre back (especially with our problems there over the years).
He played 8 games at CB that season for Jose and although thats a small sample size and perhaps he was given some easier games than some of our other CBs, statistically he was one of the best CBs in the league for those 8 games.

It probably helped Jose make the decision to ice him as a CB that Bailly and Rojo were both strong statistically that season too and for a longer period. But when they couldnt follow it up the next season it was clearly a bad move and its annoying he was too stubborn to go back on it.

Oldham

How is Rojo and Phil still here but Blind is off??
Phil getting a new contract is some twilight stuff.
Incredible...

Yagami

Good post resistant
It always boggled my mind how underrated he was. Even Ajax fans:
He's not even good enough to play for us as a CB in the Eredivisie.. I can't believe some of you would want him back.

So good :drool:

Brightonian

He was more than good at the role of ball playing CB.
Agreed, as good with the ball as plenty of PL midfielders (although not United-quality midfielders necessarily). But for that role, his physical assets weren't enough for a team of United's ambition in the long run, as I said.

Ekeke

Agreed, as good with the ball as plenty of PL midfielders (although not United-quality midfielders necessarily). But for that role, his physical assets weren't enough for a team of United's ambition in the long run, as I said.
In what way? Today he dominated Madrid in the air. Doesn't that require physical ability? How about dealing with Bale's pace?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wouldn't have sold him. The likes of Jones and Rojo should have gone instead. We need all the players with quality on the ball as possible and he was one of them. Playing progressive football would have been easier with him. He's better on the ball then Lindelof too.

Then again Mourinho obviously didn't want a defender of his stature.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I remember when he was being sold, the Caf was saying good riddance. I was saying we were losing a good player.

Some of you change your tune like the weather.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
He wasn't good enough for us back then, probably not good enough for us now.

Perfect for this Ajax and their league.

ps. Pretty sure he was crap vs RM in the first game.

Patrick08

And Jones and rojo got offered 5 year contracts each, dumb Woodward.

MadMike

Welcome to the caf. Every player is rubbish, youngsters included.
Another Caf thing to do is to follow ex players that have taken a step down and say how it was a bad decision to sell them every time they have a good game.

ChaddyP

Another Caf thing to do is to follow ex players that have taken a step down and say how it was a bad decision to sell them every time they have a good game.
I was a huge blind fan but man this is so true. People in here want back depay and fecking Zaha. Only 2 players that left that we should have bought back. One was pogba the other was Ronaldo

Red4Life_#7

I was a huge blind fan but man this is so true. People in here want back depay and fecking Zaha. Only 2 players that left that we should have bought back. One was pogba the other was Ronaldo
Agreed, but I would had Pique of a few years ago to that list.

meamth

But in this case it's true though, Selling an always fit player to keep Jones and Rojo is just...weird.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always thought he was handy as backup and still think he would be. Echo others in that he'd be far more useful to have around than Jones and Rojo.

He could cover CB, LB and even could've helped during this midfield crisis.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm pissed that We've never tried him at DM properly. He's a very intelligent footballer.

Dan_F

I’m pretty sure he was sold before the likes of Rojo due to his value. The contract situations of Smalling/Jones at the time, and Rojo’s injury record, we would have probably struggled to to get much of a fee for them.

Added to that Jose wants his centre backs to be 7 foot tall.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had an amazing match yesterday and he's still not a good enough defender for United. He just isn't.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since we've sold him already, would Ajax return us a favour and give us De Ligt?

He was good here, in fact in terms of defensive know how he's the best CB we've had since Rio and Vidic. His body just couldn't always do what his mind wanted it to. Still, his tactical intelligence got him out of almost all situations and I don't think any top manager other than Jose would have sold him, he'd be a brilliant backup for us now.

Skills

Snitch
I wish he was still here but at the same time I don't think we would've seen Shaw's emergence if he was. Shaw would've still been cast aside if Mourinho had another option at the start of the season

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I’ve never really understood the level to which people seem to rate this guy. He was decent but there are so many better players out there. I know he seemed a nice guy and all but there’s a reason he went to Ajax and not a top European side (though based off last night perhaps they are!)

Ekeke

I’ve never really understood the level to which people seem to rate this guy. He was decent but there are so many better players out there. I know he seemed a nice guy and all but there’s a reason he went to Ajax and not a top European side (though based off last night perhaps they are!)
Clearly they are as much of a threat in the competition as we are. I think not playing for us is why he wasnt as sought after. When it clicked for him at CB and he was playing weekly I was thinking "oh boy, this is what Barcelona do. Only a matter of time"

izec

He was ultimately a victim of our lack of identity and cluelessness in direction. He is/was a van Gaal player and we went complete opposite and hired Jose. There was only one outcome here.

I liked him as a squad player, but ultimately as a long term starter, i only saw him in a 3CB formation in the PL. Maybe he needed more time to adjust himself fully to the CB position in this league.
He had some fantatsic games though.

The way we played under Jose wouldnt allow him getting used as a CB, CM or LB. He just wasnt Jose's cup of tea

Jeffthered

Daley Blind is a very good footballer, and I liked him at OT. His attitude was great, he scored some important goals too... he was shoved around the pitch, in various positions, and never complained.

I always, always saw him as an addition to our midfield... he is an excellent ball player, and I would put him ahead of McTominay, Perreira, Fred.. easily. An excellent squad addition, with, as it is being proven at Ajax, with CL pedigree. But like many, he suffered from poor, poor management. I was sad to see him leave. A versatile, talented player.

Castia

Would be a top level player if he had a burst of speed. His pace let’s him down sadly (exactly like Mata)

jeepers

I'm pissed that We've never tried him at DM properly. He's a very intelligent footballer.
Exactly this. We wouldn’t have spent 40m on Matic if we had Blind playing at DM. He’s not as weak as most people make him out to be, has good long/short passing range and decent enough vision. Proper left footer. Only thing he didn’t have was pace and Matic doesn’t have that either. All Matic has is a longer stride.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Had an amazing match yesterday and he's still not a good enough defender for United. He just isn't.
Yeah I'm not even going to bother going into detail much. I like the guy, he had an excellent game against Real Madrid who's forwards are in truly hopeless form at the moment, and currently at Ajax he's exactly at the right place. Most of the reactions on here are bonkers though, truly mad I tell you...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah I'm not even going to bother going into detail much. I like the guy, he had an excellent game against Real Madrid who's forwards are in truly hopeless form at the moment, and currently at Ajax he's exactly at the right place. Most of the reactions on here are bonkers though, truly mad I tell you...
I do think Blind is under rated in Holland. He's our default scapegoat. Personally I think if he had slightly quicker feet he would be world class.

Yagami

Good post resistant
To each their own but, in my opinion, he definitely is! Having seen him play CB for us many times - a few times live in person - I can say he's one of the most impressive players I've seen live for us post Fergie.
Damn those passes :(
Imagine how much fun he'd have under Ole? Pogba getting man-marked won't have as big a influence because we'd have someone like Blind to dictate the game at the back as well which, at the moment, we don't have.
Would be a top level player if he had a burst of speed. His pace let’s him down sadly (exactly like Mata)
It'd certainly help but I don't think it's as big an issue as some claim it to be.

During his time here I can't remember him ever having a bad time against an opponent due to his lack of pace. The only time I remember him looking a tad underwhelming was as a CM where he sometimes got overrun.

I remember when he was at LB for us under van Gaal and oppo fans licking their lips at the prospects of their wingers facing him. He always held his own, though. Whether it was Townsend for Spurs, Sterling for Liverpool or Navas for City. All very fast players who Blind kept quiet with ease. Even at CB he dealt with fast players like Aguero and Lukaku very well. Probably better than any CB we've had since either entered the prem, imo.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I do think Blind is under rated in Holland. He's our default scapegoat. Personally I think if he had slightly quicker feet he would be world class.
He's unlucky as well, personally he sees CB as his ideal position which I can agree with. But with Van Dijk, De Ligt and De Vrij as CB options and hardly any good players on the left it's easy to shift him out to left back for the national team. He can play really well there on his day, especially against inferior opposition but he can also fall short and look pointless. Same with Ajax, Tagliafico is a much better left back than him but he was injured for the 6-2 game at Feyenoord so Blind had to slot in at LB again and looked like an amateur.