Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

RooneyLegend

Got eaten alive by Llorente in that second half and basically cost his side a place in a CL final. Mystery why some have been going crazy about him.

haram

The people who wank over him dont even watch him play.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Got eaten alive by Llorente in that second half and basically cost his side a place in a CL final. Mystery why some have been going crazy about him.
Because he's classy in defence when up against top, technical sides.

Goes to shite against strength and height though.

el3mel

Same problems he had here in PL. Remember what WHU did to him when we lost to them 2-3 and costed us CL spot ?

Kaglish10

All of Ajax defenders were eaten though hence he shouldn't be blamed. I actually feel the game was lost in the midfield. Eriksen practically dominated the midfield as soon as he moved further deep and his long raking passes from the deep spured on Spur. If Ajax had been able to dominate the midfield and stopped Eriksen, the likes of Llorente, Alli wouldn't have anything to feed on.

Aloysius's Back 3

As much as I like Blind - I don't understand why I saw De ligt and Him pressing in the opposition half way deep.

It was really stupid - I guess it was what ajax described as compacted pressing? Whatever it was - it allowed a team that was playing at their own space to get eaten alive with spaces left behind them.

Irwin99

I watched the game and thought he was great in the first half but it was a collective failure from Ajax. Their midfield collapsed, the defence couldn't handle the runners from midfield AND Llorente.

ti vu

As much as I like Blind - I don't understand why I saw De ligt and Him pressing in the opposition half way deep.

It was really stupid - I guess it was what ajax described as compacted pressing? Whatever it was - it allowed a team that was playing at their own space to get eaten alive with spaces left behind them.
Easy. Ajax as a team tried to fight themselves out of a situation where they had to defend solely in their box. Bar De Ligt (even him would struggle with Llorente), they severely lacks physicality as a team defending in their box.

Doing that pressing as defensive tactic, it's the same old problem for Blind (other were found wanting too) where he couldn't be the stopper winning, and lack recovery pace once Tottenham resisted the pressing.

RooneyLegend

All of Ajax defenders were eaten though hence he shouldn't be blamed. I actually feel the game was lost in the midfield. Eriksen practically dominated the midfield as soon as he moved further deep and his long raking passes from the deep spured on Spur. If Ajax had been able to dominate the midfield and stopped Eriksen, the likes of Llorente, Alli wouldn't have anything to feed on.
Those long balls came from all over the place. Defenders, keeper, etc. What they needed was to contest the ball from the air which Blind failed in. The hold up play from Llorente was of the highest order. There's no real midfield battle when a team bypasses that part of the field.

ti vu

Those long balls came from all over the place. Defenders, keeper, etc. What they needed was to contest the ball from the air which Blind failed in. The hold up play from Llorente was of the highest order. There's no real midfield battle when a team bypasses that part of the field.
Even the Ajax midfield is not very good when it comes to helping with the defending the old fashion way. LLorente can hold up and wait for runners, and Ajax midfielders couldn't track the runners. The CBs had to mark/follow their man and hole at the center of the defense appeared to be exploited.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Squad player? He looks better than every single member of our back 4
Never said a squad player. I said utility player. Big difference. Think James Milner at Liverpool. A guy who can play in several different positions. Under SAF we always had a utility guy. P Neville, O'Shea, Hargraeves were exactly that kind of player...

Kaglish10

Spurs had 60% possession in the second half. Moreover, Eriksen kept on combining with Alli who had hands in the two goals scored. In the previous half, there was no one to feed Alli from the midfield hence the reason why he looked clueless.

It was towards the end of the match that spurs started piling in long balls from nowhere because they saw a chance of winning it. If Ajax had taken the control of the midfield earlier in the second half, Spurs would have been toothless.

That said, the whole Ajax defence were all over the place and not just Blind.

Stacks

exposed as I expected. People got carried away by this CL run and forgot he was so so in the EPL. I bet hardly anyone even watched him play this season. Jose made a very good analysis about his weakness in this match. He is suitable for certain aspects of defending but not cut out for the rough of the EPL

Aloysius's Back 3

Blind - Smalling - Lindelof

Jones - Blind - Smalling

Ball playing on either side or one ball playing defender protected by stone defenders.

Shouldn't have been sold.

Rojo, Bailly, Jones are all worse.

Kaglish10

I would still blame Ajax midfield for not marking Alli/Moura runs in the second half. I mean no way should Alli and Moura be allowed to make runs through the middle considering the central defenders had their hands filled with Llorente. Frenkie should have been the man to mark their runs. It's basically common sense even if the coach didn't tell you. Busquet did that to Rooney in our two encounters with Barca and likewise Fabinho to Messi and that made Van djik work a lot easier in the second leg.

To be fair to him, Alli and Moura kept interchanging their position while linking up woth each other but at no time did Frenkie pick any of the player movement through the middle. That was his job. He should have singled one of them out everytime one dropped into the middle while leaving his fullback to deal with the one on the wing but all the attackers were left for the defence to deal with. The midfielders preferred to busy themselves with Sissoko alone.

If any of Alli and Moura's runs through the middle had been properly picked by Frenkie and the coach had allowed Van de Beek to drop deep to man mark Eriksen and also dictate the play while Mazraoui/Schone man mark Sissoko, the defence would have only had Llorente to contend with and Ajax could have won the match. Their high line defence didn't help as well because they already knew their central backs don't have the pace to always recover.

SambaBoy

I've always been of the opinion that he would be a squad player for a top club, but I wouldn't want him ever being a regular starter. He's quality against a certain type of opposition but as has been mentioned, you need to face all types of players at the top level. Blind's versatility is a big plus, he can fill in at LB, CB and was bought as a DLP after a good season at Ajax.

He had a decent season for United when he was played CB by LvG but it wasn't flawless like some make out on here. He wasn't better than Lindelof has been this season and there is still questions marks surrounding him.

In the long-term it was probably the right decision to move him on but only after Jones, Rojo, Young, Darmian had all left our defensive ranks first should we have looked to upgrade Blind. Could have really done with him this season, as Shaw has basically played the whole season without a rest. Our CB's apart from Lindelof have shown no consistency at all, and are calamitous at the back. Even in midfield, he could have rotated with Matic in some games.

quackattack

I just say this: One does not simply freeload their way almost all the way to a CL finale.

Kag

LVG today: ”Daley Blind was my most consistent player at Manchester United”.

https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=352908

But of course Woody lets him go for peanuts while giving P Jones a 6 year contract.
Woodward sold him because Mourinho wouldn’t play him and didn’t appreciate his value as a squad player. Woodward sanctioned the sale for that reason. If he didn’t, you would probably be criticising him for interfering with the manager...

I don’t want to run around here sticking up for Woodward all the time, but this is just another example of misappropriated blame directed his way.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Woodward sold him because Mourinho wouldn’t play him and didn’t appreciate his value as a squad player. Woodward sanctioned the sale for that reason. If he didn’t, you would probably be criticising him for interfering with the manager...

I don’t want to run around here sticking up for Woodward all the time, but this is just another example of misappropriated blame directed his way.
Plus I remember quite a few on here who weren’t too bothered about it. That was the general mood.

FujiVice

There's a good argument that he was over those 2 years. Left back, centre half and central midfield, he was pretty fecking consistent, even if he wasnt out of this world. Especially in terms out outfield players.

Aloysius's Back 3

I loved watching him play and I still do - looks like he plays with a cigar in his mouth & alongside its side effects

Aloysius's Back 3

Plus I remember quite a few on here who weren’t too bothered about it. That was the general mood.
Most people wanted Sanchez too whilst being happy Blind leaves for nuts whilst Bailly & Co hang about. I still like Blind more than even Lindelof especially in games like the europa league final where he plays LCB off a back 3.

All this shows is that the fans in the majority is just that - a majority usually going by the most simple and non complex options that turn out to be wrong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Someone should find a gif of his outside foot pass from yesterday. Brilliant stuff.

Irwin99

It's a shame that probably the only two signings I've really liked in the past few years have left (Blind and Herrera). Both very good players when used correctly. Never thought Blind was more than a utility player as a left back or centre mid but I really liked him at centre back for us. Could have worked well in a back 3 too.

Yagami

Good post resistant

https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=352908

But of course Woody lets him go for peanuts while giving P Jones a 6 year contract.
100% agreed.
It's a shame that probably the only two signings I've really liked in the past few years have left (Blind and Herrera). Both very good players when used correctly. Never thought Blind was more than a utility player as a left back or centre mid but I really liked him at centre back for us. Could have worked well in a back 3 too.
I had the same doubts about Blind initially, too. He was the signing from the 14/15 season I was least excited about but through his performances turned into my favourite player in the post Fergie era.
Someone should find a gif of his outside foot pass from yesterday. Brilliant stuff.
Is he winning you round? :D
I loved watching him play and I still do - looks like he plays with a cigar in his mouth & alongside its side effects
:D

Ekeke

Good signings, poor management and tactics

R'hllor

Non bus driver playing LCB, whole CAF laughing at LvG for his LCB must be left footed thing, ah those were the days.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As a defender, he's little more than a spectator.

But he is decent on the ball.
Well that’s utter nonsense. He’s incredibly reliable at both CB and LB. it’s not often players get the better of him.

Aloysius's Back 3

If anyone wants to see his pass.

I'd have loved to see this lad in the middle of two defenders much like how Jose played Mctomminay bang right in the centre.

Instead of having the strongest tallest in the centre - have the most elegant and timely both attacking and defensive with the 2 CB around him scrapping up the left overs.

Seriously - Blind as a tertiary CB, Martial & Rashford in a possession based striking partnership, how much I saw players like CBj play like wingbacks with no fear - I wish I got to see LVG 3rd season to see what he could have done.