Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

Aloysius's Back 3

I agree with a lot of this as I loved Blind. His only problem and it's a big Jose problem is that he is too easy to go past, doesn't stop the opposition enough, plus also struggled with aggressive players. Technically he was incredible, I'm surprised Barcelona didn't buy him.
In my opinion - he didnt get beaten aggresively all that much because he would normally always be one step in front of the attacker due to pure intelligence. However he did with pace; if someone beat smalling; Blind would be left alone against pace & would fail.

However, playing at 3 at the back thats not an issue in my opinion - you don't need 2 thiago silvas and one maldini - a standard 2 CB with Blind adding additional central cover in between the defenders would have given a quantity edge against most attacks; so the quality is not as important. Compare that to seeing Bailly & Lindelof now in a pairing; there is no quantity edge even if the quality is deemed to be there.

Smalling is our current best defender & blind played amazing next to him; if there was another defender next to those 2; that would have been ridiculously good; the same way that someone like azpilicueta plays for Chelsea.

Bailly & Rojo actually formed a good partnership too - but needed that edge and understanding of the defensive capacity that Blind would give alongside an attacking ability.

Either way its a shame; i remember Jose played Blind as a CB in couple games earlier on - didnt do anything bad, didnt get beaten - but was still dropped; purely because it is not his type of CB.

Welbeckham

Better than all out current CBs, also, him and Smalling is the best CB partnership we’ve had since Ferdinand and Vidic.

TheRedDevil95

Either way its a shame; i remember Jose played Blind as a CB in couple games earlier on - didnt do anything bad, didnt get beaten - but was still dropped; purely because it is not his type of CB.
That's not true, really. He was dropped after he was exposed by City in the first derby between Pep and José. I remember De Bruyne bypassing Blind standing on his heels.

If there's one thing about Mourinho I don't like, it's that he always seems to drop a player that makes a mistake. It's rather ruthless - especially for the young players that are bound to make mistakes in order to learn and develop.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Him and De Ligt were great against Kviv
Yeah, he hasn't been ridiculously poor or anything but definitely nothing spectacular either. Part of the problem I think is that he played mostly in midfield in his last season at Ajax when he was voted player of the year.

Now they have four or five midfielders already while other than De Ligt they have no proper centre halves, so it looks like he will spend the rest of the season in defense. And he might've been a bit rusty of course. Makes for a pretty decent pairing with De Ligt, who looks and plays like a 25 year old despite having just turned 19 years of age.
Well isn't there Wober and Schuurs? But, maybe they are not ready yet(Wober looked lost at LB against Kviv).

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Yeah but we've got Lindelof.

Seriously though has he played all his games at Centre Back so far? I thought you guys might move him back to midfield.
Yeah he's viewed as primarily a centreback in this squad. Partly because of how important it is that we have someone who can move into the midfield from there, but mostly because we have a lot of other midfielders who can play his position on the midfield: De Jong, Schöne, Eiting, and even Van de Beek

OverratedOpinion

Yeah he's viewed as primarily a centreback in this squad. Partly because of how important it is that we have someone who can move into the midfield from there, but mostly because we have a lot of other midfielders who can play his position on the midfield: De Jong, Schöne, Eiting, and even Van de Beek
Fair enough, I think his abilities are more unique at centre back. How good is Ziyech?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Looking at Van Der Beek, De Jong and Eiting I wonder how Bazoer broke into senior football before all of them. Those three seem to have a lot more to their game than Bazoer does.

Aloysius's Back 3

:lol:

God the amount of people who just could not see this guys capability! One of the most enjoyable players defensively I saw at United. Would have been the most deadliest playing amongst 2 CB's that could provide speed cover, To this day people make up rubbish about him getting outmuscled.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Looking at Van Der Beek, De Jong and Eiting I wonder how Bazoer broke into senior football before all of them. Those three seem to have a lot more to their game than Bazoer does.
Bazoer is of a year above Vd Beek and De Jong (who wasn't at Ajax at the time), and two above Eiting. It's mainly just that he was physically developed at a much younger age, particularly than De Jong and Eiting.

Fair enough, I think his abilities are more unique at centre back. How good is Ziyech?
ziyech is very good, especially this season so far. Though he was frustrating last season, but think that was a form and mental issue, as I was a big fan of his the season before. Definitely our best player in his current form (alongside De Ligt)

This was Ziyech's performance vs Standard Liege in the previous round of CL qualifiers:

OverratedOpinion

ziyech is very good, especially this season so far. Though he was frustrating last season, but think that was a form and mental issue, as I was a big fan of his the season before. Definitely our best player in his current form (alongside De Ligt)

This was Ziyech's performance vs Standard Liege in the previous round of CL qualifiers:
Thanks mate, he looks very good. I just replaced Mata with him on Football Manager :lol:

29 Million :confused:

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Thanks mate, he looks very good. I just replaced Mata with him on Football Manager :lol:

29 Million :confused:
Haha didn't realise he was any good on FM. It's crazy that we held on to him, de Ligt and Onana. I'm pretty sure that signing Blind and Tadic played a big part in how they viewed another year at the club

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm sorry but I can't let this go.

Sell Blind only to play the likes of Lindelof, Fellaini and McTominay as CBs. The same Blind who formed a great partnership with Smalling (& de Gea). Why José, why?!

I'm sorry but I can't let this go.

Sell Blind only to play the likes of Lindelof, Fellaini and McTominay as CBs. The same Blind who formed a great partnership with Smalling (& de Gea). Why José, why?!
Miles better than Lindelöf at CB, and as a DM, a shite load better than the two you mentioned.

That said, personel means little if you set up your team so deep in every game, you’re simply asking for trouble unless you’ve a Terry/Carvalho/Cole esque defence & a Duff/Robben forward line... we have neither.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Miles better than Lindelöf at CB, and as a DM, a shite load better than the two you mentioned.

That said, personel means little if you set up your team so deep in every game, you’re simply asking for trouble unless you’ve a Terry/Carvalho/Cole esque defence & a Duff/Robben forward line... we have neither.
Yeah, I'm not saying keeping him would've made us a lot better because we need more than individual talent, imo. Even though we need some of that, too! It's just, even if we had got that ball playing CB José wanted, Blind should've been - along with Smalling - the last CB we should've sold, imo.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Blind is a decent player, he actually had a great season as a CB and learnt that role well. I am sure if he continued playing there he could actually cement his place there or be a great squad player, good rotation option if we upgraded our CB. He was actually quite good in the air for his height. I will never understand why wesold him and bought someone as shit as Lindelof who is basically similar profile player but basivcally worse at every little thing. It's like when Darmian replaced Rafael, I will never udnerstand this, hope there is a manager with brain coming next who gives chance to everyone and fairly evaluate players

Aloysius's Back 3

Blind was wonderful to watch at CB - have him in the centre of a Back 3 with Smalling & Bailly on either side - that is all that is needed for a defencively and attackingly balanced 3 at the back.

only problem was for Jose he was not 6ft 9.

Will never forgive him for selling him and then complaining about a lack of ball playing defenders.

Ashley R1+O

You'what? :lol: Daley Blind? Surely not the hilarious irony of posting this sphincter dribble on the anniversary of West Ham away, the scene of his gigamare that cost Louis Van Gaal a spot in the top four over City?

The absolute state you have to be in to want this guy back :lol:. Things must be absolutely grim.

Minimalist

You'what? :lol: Daley Blind? Surely not the hilarious irony of posting this sphincter dribble on the anniversary of West Ham away, the scene of his gigamare that cost Louis Van Gaal a spot in the top four over City?

The absolute state you have to be in to want this guy back :lol:. Things must be absolutely grim.
You're a dreadful poster.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Blind was awesome.

hungrywing

Blind was wonderful to watch at CB - have him in the centre of a Back 3 with Smalling & Bailly on either side - that is all that is needed for a defencively and attackingly balanced 3 at the back.

Will never forgive him for selling him and then complaining about a lack of ball playing defenders.
Not a response to this post per se, but how tall was that Porto team of his? Just curious.

His 'height-bias' makes one wonder certain things about his psyche.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
He's not even good enough to play for us as a CB in the Eredivisie.. I can't believe some of you would want him back.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Wonderful to watch for opposition fans. He was an average player, nothing more. The romanticism is laughable.

I'd wish United still played him from an opposition point of view.

Nick7

I liked Blind a lot but it was clear as day he wasn't good enough for us.

izec

He's not even good enough to play for us as a CB in the Eredivisie.. I can't believe some of you would want him back.
He was the only one good on the ball. He looked good defensively at times, looked bad other times, pretty unreliable defensively in the grand scheme of things, as most of our defenders. He had outstanding games at times though, impeccable. He was miles ahead of someone like Lindelöf. If you think Blind isnt good enough for Ajax, Lindelöf wouldnt be good enough for Willem II at this point.

He has barely played the last 2 years under Jose, thats has an effect on his performances now. He wasnt good enough overall and wouldnt help us now much anyway, so no real issues.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Always like Blind. Also a very decent squad player/utility option to have, IMO.

Seemed like a really composed and intelligent footballer, but his lack of pace and physicality was probably always going to prevent him from being just about good enough for a starting spot in a top 4/6 side. All IMO of course.

Could probably compare him a bit to “today’s” Mata in that regard, though that’s being a little harsh on Mata who’s reached some great peak levels in his career - especially at Chelsea.

Have a lot of time for Blind though. I think he is a little underrated by some.

Aloysius's Back 3

Our cups we won in the last couple years have a lot to do with Blind's performances in those matches.

Whilst no one would want to get in a conversation about him being the strongest defender we had - he was far from the weakest.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not sure why there is a complaint on Blind at United. He was very good with us in centre back, Jose just didn't rate him. He might not be a top class centre back but he's better than Lindelof, Ironically, I just don't understand what Mourinho can't see in Blind but he's blindly somehow see it in Lindelof.

Godfather

He has a strange group of supporters on here.
He was a shit purchase just as many many others in the last years. Not good enough.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Blinds disciples are the strangest of the lot. Never looked good enough and was hailed as a technical player, but he was still really wasteful in possession at times. Used to bug me when he tried chipping the ball forward from the left channel and it would go to the opposition or out of play. Basically what Young does now.

Ekeke

Wonderful to watch for opposition fans. He was an average player, nothing more. The romanticism is laughable.

Its funny to read a post like this from an Arsenal fan. All of your CBs have been fun to watch as an opponent knowing they are all prone to mistakes

Ekeke

He was good enough for 1 season at CB here but it took a while for him to adapt.

He was very good at finding a good pass from CB into advanced areas in the middle of the pitch. Its something Umtiti does well at Barcelona and we have posters here suggesting hes the best CB in the world when he isnt an impressive defender.

Considering we have played Ander, Fellaini and McTominay as CMs at CB for "quality on the ball" and Blind was the best passer of the lot of them, it makes perfect sense for people to question why we only played Blind at CB 1 time under Mourinho, in a 3 man defense last season where Lindelof did better than normal as well. If we were going to play a CM at CB, why not the one who actually went through that transition into becoming a decent CB eventually and had far more of that quality on the ball than the players Mourinho actually has tried there

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have you seen Lindelof?

Aloysius's Back 3

He was good enough for 1 season at CB here but it took a while for him to adapt.

He was very good at finding a good pass from CB into advanced areas in the middle of the pitch. Its something Umtiti does well at Barcelona and we have posters here suggesting hes the best CB in the world when he isnt an impressive defender.

Considering we have played Ander, Fellaini and McTominay as CMs at CB for "quality on the ball" and Blind was the best passer of the lot of them, it makes perfect sense for people to question why we only played Blind at CB 1 time under Mourinho, in a 3 man defense last season where Lindelof did better than normal as well. If we were going to play a CM at CB, why not the one who actually went through that transition into becoming a decent CB eventually and had far more of that quality on the ball than the players Mourinho actually has tried there
Exactly - whilst people could question his ability in a back 2 which may be easy to exploit - but in a back 3; he has exactly what is needed & missing within our squad. A CDM made to drop in to CB - provide us with the quantitive edge in defence, provides the calming presence for reactive defenders like Smalling, Rojo, bailly & Lindelöf whilst also providing us the passing & attacking edge better than anybody in the back line currently.

Not a seen a single pass from Lindelöf or Fellaini compared to one iIcould show from blind every damn game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Indeed, he was shocking as CB against Psv last week. Ajax lost 3-0 and Blind was bullied around by Luuk de Jong for 90 minutes. Blind has a great long pass, but he's simply a shite defender under any kind of pressure.

If Blind's ability match his clever footballing kind he'd be amazing. Alas has legs cant turn his vision into reality.