Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

Trophy Room

I really liked him. Was gutted we sold him because a player like him is gold. So versatile, intelligent and always puts in an above average performance at the very least. Criminally under appreciated.

He got caught out once or twice early on in his United career and since then as usual the CAF deeemed that he was a shiite player with no pace. Such a shame. He would have been brilliant under Ole.

Jeffthered

I think it was people wanted him to be a ball-winner.. he put his foot in, but essentially, he is a ball player, moving the ball around quickly and with vision and purpose. We haven't many of those. He would have been a super player under Ole, rotating with Pogs, herera and Matic.

More I think about it man.... Mourinho was a proper, proper tosser.

tony54

I really like Daly, such a shame we lost him.
I appreciate speed is essential but he had the coolest head of any of our players. Really glad he is in a really good squad now.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Would have kept him for his glorious hair alone.

Jokes aside, I really feel for him . He just lacks that something which forces him to be the odd man out in the team and he's basically expected to play wherever the team needs him when he should have been one of the first name picked for the lineup. Give him that extra bit of pace or physicality and he would be good enough to start for almost every team in the world .

Sir Scott McToMinay

Was only good in that ultra defensive LVG possession system.
A poor midfielder and a slow left back.
Was no reason to keep him.
Found his level, wish him all the best.

Irwin99

Was only good in that ultra defensive LVG possession system.
A poor midfielder and a slow left back.
Was no reason to keep him.
Found his level, wish him all the best.
A bit unfair. He had some good games for Jose until that City game and had a decent Europa League final too.

Always seemed to play well against Liverpool too from what I remember

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
SAF's teams almost always had a player like Blind in the team. A utility guy who could fit in at several different positions if needed. I thought he was a player we should have kept and I also thought he should have been given more game time as a DM...

RU Devil

Should still be here and Jones and Rojo should have gone.
Unfortunately, those two aren't hot properties, while Blind offers much more, especially for a team like Ajax or Barca. Jose doesn't know how to use a player like him, or at least prefers a different type. Ole could definitely have used him, but Daly wouldn't necessarily be first choice, more a mix & match option.

Love his play and appreciate his nous & intelligence but he could be taken advantage of at most of the positions he played. At times he was too small, too slow, not defensive or offensive enough. Still a great option, but he probably is in the best team for him, at least when it comes to getting the most out of him & his career.

Al-T

Always saw Blind as an intelligent, versatile and technically adept footballer.

Not necessarily a first choice but would have offered so much more to the side than Jones or Rojo. I think he would have flourished under OGS.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He should never have been sold in the first place.
I remember having a discussion with someone who said we were better off selling him because the likes of Ashley Young is better.
Obviously that's not the case.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Baffling how he was pushed out (being a ball playing CB) whilst duds like Smalling and Jones regularly get new deals.

izec

Baffling how he was pushed out (being a ball playing CB) whilst duds like Smalling and Jones regularly get new deals.
That was Jose to be honest, he had a lot of power in terms of transfers in and outs and sidelined Daley completely after the first season.

That happens when a club has no direction and trusts the current manager and us jumping from one style to the other makes it only worse. We should have never hired him in the first place after van Gaal, but should have gone for a more modern and attacking manager and not a PTB merchant.

Varun

Staff
That is why we need a DOF (use whatever term here) who takes a long term vision for things.

Blind sold while bang average dross like Young, Jones, Rojo continue to stink the place up. He's a better CB and LB than all of them. To add insult to injury, he'd have been an option in midfield as well.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's right, Jones and Smalling should have also been sold like Blind. Seems some are still talking up Blind in midfield though.

Patrick08

That is why we need a DOF (use whatever term here) who takes a long term vision for things.

Blind sold while bang average dross like Young, Jones, Rojo continue to stink the place up. He's a better CB and LB than all of them. To add insult to injury, he'd have been an option in midfield as well.
Gave rojo a 5 year contract back then as well and one game he played this season he gave away a stupid goal to arsenal at home while playing none of them after that. Also ensures with no football we are not getting enough fee for him as well. Shambles all over

Kostov

Selling Blind while keeping dross like Rojo, Darmian, Young and Jones tells you all you need to know about why we are where we are at the moment.

Graveyard

Daley did all of the heavy lifting for Ajax against Real Madrid, yet according to the caf De Ligt is worth 80 million and Blind is just not good enough.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Gave rojo a 5 year contract back then as well and one game he played this season he gave away a stupid goal to arsenal at home while playing none of them after that. Also ensures with no football we are not getting enough fee for him as well. Shambles all over
Not that I disagree with you, but Rojo got a 3 year extension. A criminal decision from the board regardless, but they aren't that incompetent I guess :lol:

Patrick08

Not that I disagree with you, but Rojo got a 3 year extension. A criminal decision from the board regardless, but they aren't that incompetent I guess :lol:
Signed a 5 year contract in 2014 and extended in march 2018 in a 3+1 deal while already having a year left, effectively 5 year stay if plus one is triggered.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
After all these years.... I've come to realize that the people who wanted him out were the ones actually Blind.

haram

God the problem was not that we sold Blind, the problem is that we could have sold almost the entire defence such is their lack of quality at the highest level.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Selling Blind while keeping dross like Rojo, Darmian, Young and Jones tells you all you need to know about why we are where we are at the moment.
Blind was the only sellable quantity amongst those, its not like we had a choice on who to sell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Another top decision by Jose.

He was always our best defender building up play and positionally is top class. Glad he’s done so well at Ajax again.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The fawning over Blind is silly, he's not a top class defender. The penalty he caused gainst Willem 2 was another fine example of that. Playing for Ajax in The Netherlands is amazing and makes him look great. He isnt wasnt and will never be good enough for a top premier league league. He's simply to slow.

El Jefe

The fawning over Blind is silly, he's not a top class defender. The penalty he caused gainst Willem 2 was another fine example of that. Playing for Ajax in The Netherlands is amazing and makes him look great. He isnt wasnt and will never be good enough for a top premier league league. He's simply to slow.
We saw him in the PL so what he's doing at Ajax means nothing to us. No one is saying he'll solve all our problems at CB but he should 100% be here ahead of the likes of Bailly, Rojo and Jones.

He's definitely a player who has a place at a top club. His quality shone at LWB with the Netherlands at WC 2014, Was excellent at LB in our best period in 2014/15 and was part of our best CB pairing since Rio & Vidic.

As good as a utility man you'd get at a top club, certainly more useful than Ashley fecking Young.

Kostov

Oh please just give it a rest.

Blind wouldn’t solve anything if he was still here.
One player won’t solve the mess we are, but that was not the point.

There’s a pattern of shit players staying longer than they should, and then there are some that could have been more useful instead were sold.

Member 93275

What's up with PSG? Herrera, now Blind. They no longer have the ambition to win the CL?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We saw him in the PL so what he's doing at Ajax means nothing to us. No one is saying he'll solve all our problems at CB but he should 100% be here ahead of the likes of Bailly, Rojo and Jones.

He's definitely a player who has a place at a top club. His quality shone at LWB with the Netherlands at WC 2014, Was excellent at LB in our best period in 2014/15 and was part of our best CB pairing since Rio & Vidic.

As good as a utility man you'd get at a top club, certainly more useful than Ashley fecking Young.
Well I suppose we will agree to disagree on his excellence for United. I think he was rather hit and miss for United, but never more than above average.

In 2014 he gave 2 nice passes against Spain. You know who were great in 2014, Ron Vlaar and Bruno Martins Indi. In other words, slightly irrelevant.

Untd55

He had a lot of poor displays for us. Do people forget the number of times he was skinned when he played in defence for us? It was almost every game he played there.

Our defence used to get torn to shreds under Van Gaal anytime we lost the ball. The number of 1-on-1s there was against De Gea was ridiculous

Van Gaal stopped playing him in midfield so even he thought he wasn't suitable to play there.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We had a choice of letting them leave, Rojo getting a new deal, Phil Jones and Young the same. No excuses for those kind of stupid decisions.
I don't mind Jones but the other two yeah, they should have been let go at first chance.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Aside from the fact that I don’t think PSG is actually interested in the first place, Ajax don’t want to sell him at all and I don’t think Blind is planning to spend the last couple of years of his prime as a fringe player either.

Easy to forget how he played a grand total of 7 PL games last year, in what was easily our best PL season since SAF retired. He’s a fine player on a good day, but he’s not as good as some people make him out to be. And on top of that he’s physically very unsuited for the specific demands of the league we play in, Spain or Italy would be better for him if he wants a move in a year or two.