Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

spiriticon

I still think he's better than Lindelof. We downgraded for no good reason

I'm very much a Jose fan, even after the mess here, but yup... Really a shame we let blind go.

I have so much hindsight remorse thinking about how our team might look had we kept LVG and signed Mane along with the other attacking players he wanted.

Martial - Depay - Mane

Bah. Just nonsense as result of trauma from the recent ongoing
I agree, in hindsight we should have kept LVG. It was starting to come together towards the end, I think Rashford and Martial would have also developed better under him too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree, in hindsight we should have kept LVG. It was starting to come together towards the end, I think Rashford and Martial would have also developed better under him too.
Best post Fergie manager we had and one that actually fit in with the ethos of United. He just didn't get to implement his attacking play correctly because quite frankly he didn't have enough attacking talent to play with and he didn't get time to bring them in. Although you have to say he did massively balls up ADM

He had to play with Rooney and Mata as his senior attacking players...

Anyway Blind was excellent and had we given him time I think Depay also would have turned out alright for United. Martial and Rashford and I also think Gomes would have made his way into this side by now.

Best post Fergie manager we had and one that actually fit in with the ethos of United. He just didn't get to implement his attacking play correctly because quite frankly he didn't have enough attacking talent to play with and he didn't get time to bring them in. Although you have to say he did massively balls up ADM

Anyway Blind was excellent and had we given him time I think Depay also would have turned out alright for United. Martial and Rashford and I also think Gomes would have made his way into this side by now.
I agree, he actually played the youth and didn't just give it lip service. I think personnel did let him down in the end. I hope we can get a modern version of LVG as our next coach.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I agree, he actually played the youth and didn't just give it lip service. I think personnel did let him down in the end. I hope we can get a modern version of LVG as our next coach.
LVG got Man Utd played possession based football with kids. Too bad the fans had no patience and couldn't see what he was building at the time.

Marcelinho87

Eh injuries forced his hand with playing youth due to his weird fixation with left footed on the left etc so he couldn't use the likes of Young at LB.

Sterling Archer

It's too painful to think about Rashford's progression... At a crucial age he would have been schooled in the art of being a striker in a possession based side. Instead some formative years with Jose meant instead he became the fast break outlet, pace merchant. Dreams of Kluivert turned to Walcott.

R'hllor

Eh injuries forced his hand with playing youth due to his weird fixation with left footed on the left etc so he couldn't use the likes of Young at LB.
Nothing weird about it, he got so much hate and mocking from CAF experts on this matter that today when some other manager does it ( that they rate ) suddenly it makes sense.

Cassidy

You think using Young at LB is a good thing?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Last edited:
True, but we have injuries now and the current manager isn't playing youth.

TrustInOle

True unfortunately.
I still think getting rid of LVG was the downfall, because anyone with a footballing IQ could see there was a plan in place, that was slowly coming together. It obviously would take time, as any unknown philosophy would, but i cant help but imagine where we would be now if we stuck with him and let him continue laying the foundations.
I mean he went out on an FA cup win, building a youthul side that played head and shoulders above what is out there now, and outperforming the team in several of the seasons since.
This way, we could have recruited a proper mamager to follow in his philosophy and not rush appointing.

Marcelinho87

You think using Young at LB is a good thing?
Yes, that is exactly what I said... :rolleyes:

A lot of revisionism going off here. LVG had us playing the most tumescent, boring and bland football I have ever witnessed.

Second coming now apparently! (I too can put words in mouths)

Ban

When it did start together exactly? If anything it was falling apart.
I simply don't get this revisionism. He wasn't building anything. He had a thing going during that run near the end of his 1st season and in the next he scrapped everything and we looked genuinely awful.

I simply don't get this revisionism. He wasn't building anything. He had a thing going during that run near the end of his 1st season and in the next he scrapped everything and we looked genuinely awful.
Falling apart? We had some disappointing results for sure but we finished that season level on points with City we missed out on top 4 on goal difference. Jose 3rd season and what we're seeing now under Ole is the definition of falling apart.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

A lot of revisionism going off here. LVG had us playing the most tumescent, boring and bland football I have ever witnessed.

Exactly, I'd rather shit in my hand and clap rather than watch the tedious shit lvg used to serve up

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I still think getting rid of LVG was the downfall, because anyone with a footballing IQ could see there was a plan in place, that was slowly coming together. It obviously would take time, as any unknown philosophy would, but i cant help but imagine where we would be now if we stuck with him and let him continue laying the foundations.
I mean he went out on an FA cup win, building a youthul side that played head and shoulders above what is out there now, and outperforming the team in several of the seasons since.
This way, we could have recruited a proper mamager to follow in his philosophy and not rush appointing.
His recruitment was terrible though. We could all see the plan, but when he’s depending on a collection of expensive duds, and then untested youth, to execute it, you get the long stretch of utterly boring shite that we had to endure. Maybe he is the type of manager who would benefit from the type of oversight our fabled DoF would provide. Or maybe he was just past it by the time he got here.

Ban

Falling apart? We had some disappointing results for sure but we finished that season level on points with City we missed out on top 4 on goal difference. Jose 3rd season and what we're seeing now under Ole is the definition of falling apart.
We played an awful brand of football and were happy when we had a shot on goal, there was no future with him whatsoever. I know with current state of affairs everything in the past looks better but let's not go overboard.

tomaldinho1

LVG's ideas and the style he wanted us to play were good, the application was often lacking and it's mainly because his attacking transfers really didn't work out; Falcao, ADM, Depay - that would be a terrifying front three on their current and pre United form but history is history. I find our current style and style under Mou no less boring, I guess I've just got used to the dross but I think tactically LVG had us going in the right direction.

What I would say for him is he seemed to have a big impression on the younger players, he was superb in the bigger games and he did win the FA cup all whilst battling against the hatred of the media and constant undermining of his power. Had we signed someone else who also wanted to keep with the possession heavy style, they'd have had a decent base to build from and (especially when you think how much Mou spent) a realistic chance of being where the top teams are today but we went for the polar opposite and are still paying the price.

Cassidy

The point was, maybe he didn't play Young at LB because he wasn't good at LB. You do realise he did play right footed players at LCB when he had to right.

Indeed we were boring, the only player in our attack who wasn't was Martial. The point was that he had a structure for playing which could have been elevated with additional attacking players.

Funny that we find ourselves in the same exact position. We cry about our attacking play when we have one of the worst set of attacking players in the top half of the league.

Anyway like I said before, he was the best of the bunch, doesn't mean he was not without his flaws, but it is true revisionism to suggest that he did not always have a focus on blooding young players with or without injury

Irwin99

Hated seeing him at left back or midfield but I really liked him as a centre back for us. He had an excellent passing range and was surprisingly tough in one on ones. Everyone will point to that West Ham game but he was class for the most part in LVG's second season. His performance against Liverpool at home was just :drool: Bullying Lukaku that season was great too :lol:

Adcuth

Just for fun, from now on you can remove 1 player from each of our starting line ups and replace him with Daley. I bet every time the team looks loads better

For instance, take Mata out and add Daley as a DM. Looks so much better as a midfield

James Rashford Pereira​

Fred Mctominay
Blind​

Young Maguire Tuanzabe Dalot

De Gea​

Last edited:

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
He has been absolutely great for us. He brings experience for the young guys and has a brilliant left foot. I miss him at United but I’m happy to have him back. He was/is slow but always compensated for it with his intelligence.

Reactions: SteveJ

lumeyes

We have the benefit of hindsight now but LVG got on my nerves severally when the only justification he had for continuing to play an out-of-form and out-of-shape Rooney was, "my captain must play". I believe I wasn't the only one :)

Adcuth

We have the benefit of hindsight now but LVG got on my nerves severally when the only justification he had for continuing to play an out-of-form and out-of-shape Rooney was, "my captain must play". I believe I wasn't the only one :)
LVG was not the right manager. But if we'd gotten him in as DOF and had a decent manager brought in that he'd work with then I think we'd be in vastly different position today

Ban

He didn't get time to get attacking players? 2 years wasn't enough?
Argument that his ideas was great but didn't have players is strange cause he was the one who had the say what players to buy and he failed big time in that regard among other things.. Its a if grandma had wheels she would be a bus argument. Also best of the bunch is for conversation and another thread. In general just another manager who failed for us.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
LVG was not the right manager. But if we'd gotten him in as DOF and had a decent manager brought in that he'd work with then I think we'd be in vastly different position today
LvG did seem to understand the direction the club needed to go in more than anyone and unlike Mou who was surprisingly mellow during his time at United he did give us a bit of that I don't give a feck who you are attitude back. If Di Maria and Falcao hadn't come along I wonder if he could ve had us in a better place for as far as a foundation to work from - similar to what he left at Bayern. Oh well. I'm probably having better memories of that time now than I should.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Exactly, I'd rather shit in my hand and clap rather than watch the tedious shit lvg used to serve up
The fact that you know your preference leads me to believe that you've tried both.

Last edited by a moderator:

red4ever 79

We played an awful brand of football and were happy when we had a shot on goal, there was no future with him whatsoever. I know with current state of affairs everything in the past looks better but let's not go overboard.
Sounds familar to now mate. Did you hear the cheers when Perriera had a shot on target yesterday around the 30 min mark. Our first shot in 120 mins of football.

Ban

Sounds familar to now mate. Did you hear the cheers when Perriera had a shot on target yesterday around the 30 min mark. Our first shot in 120 mins of football.
I didn't say it doesn't but that's not the theme. :)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's been excellent lately.

Is he playing in midfield? Interesting if he is because I really never rated him there at all.

He was a mainstay for us at CB and we won the Europa League. A mainstay for Ajax at CB and they made the semi finals of the CL.

Definitely a player who adorns those around him, I reckon.

Adcuth

LvG did seem to understand the direction the club needed to go in more than anyone and unlike Mou who was surprisingly mellow during his time at United he did give us a bit of that I don't give a feck who you are attitude back. If Di Maria and Falcao hadn't come along I wonder if he could ve had us in a better place for as far as a foundation to work from - similar to what he left at Bayern. Oh well. I'm probably having better memories of that time now than I should.
If personally say his idea of his philosophy was a lot better that the way he deployed it, but I just out this down to his age really. Managers like him can have the right ideas and a philosophy that could stop work but their methods of implementing it just don't work with the current professional player. I think if you mix Jose's attitude with LVG's football tactics then turn have the perfect manager for these times

Cassidy

He didn't get time to get attacking players? 2 years wasn't enough?
Argument that his ideas was great but didn't have players is strange cause he was the one who had the say what players to buy and he failed big time in that regard among other things.. Its a if grandma had wheels she would be a bus argument. Also best of the bunch is for conversation and another thread. In general just another manager who failed for us.
Now I don't think he was a great manager, just the best we have had.
With regards to the time, no he was not backed by Woodward in the transfer market when it came to delivering the attacking players required.

A common theme with all the managers is that Woodward and the recruitment was not up to par, with the minor exception of Jose