Daley Blind - Deal Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

So, is Blind our defensive central midfielder that we obviously need? I.e. We (presumably) tried to sign players like Vidal, Carvalho, etc and couldn't manage it so Blind is our fallback, LVG's Fellaini if you will?

If so, it's a bit underwhelming.

Or, alternatively, is Blind the excellent utility squad player who can cover a number of positions - all down the left side, defensive midfielder and even centre back? Whilst we are set to sign Carvalho or (whisper it) Vidal tomorrow?

I prefer the second scenario.
It's the first scenario but he's no Fellaini that's for sure, Strootman in January/summer, and I for one am pleased about it.

The defence is where we need to strengthen tomorrow, but can't see it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We may have a team with the best looking girlfriends in the world.

C'est Moi Cantona

How do you even know we prefered Carvalho over Blind? One is one of the best midfielders and the other is one of the best midfielders in Holland, both countries have produced plenty of talent including this particular position. Carvalho doesn't necessarily have to be a better prospect.

I have barely seen either play but I liked Blind at the WC, he seems like a good guy who is delighted with the move and pretty excited by it and he was the best midfielder in Holland last year which is a good achievement. I am very happy with this transfer, exactly the sort of player we needed if he turns out to be as good as I think he might be.
Carvalho has more potential imo, but could take months to settle and find his true form, Blind won't, and is well versed in the LvG ways, so he is the perfect signing for this at this time.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So, is Blind our defensive central midfielder that we obviously need? I.e. We (presumably) tried to sign players like Vidal, Carvalho, etc and couldn't manage it so Blind is our fallback, LVG's Fellaini if you will?

If so, it's a bit underwhelming.

Or, alternatively, is Blind the excellent utility squad player who can cover a number of positions - all down the left side, defensive midfielder and even centre back? Whilst we are set to sign Carvalho or (whisper it) Vidal tomorrow?

I prefer the second scenario.
The truth is somewhere in the middle probably.

He definitely wasn’t first choice for us, as we would’ve gotten him much earlier.

On the other hand, I’m sure he was always a plan B (or even C) because he can cover multiple positions.

He is nothing like Fellaini though, because was bought to play in his preferred position, which is defensive central midfielder.

I think we will be fighting until the end for someone else (LVG’s comments suggest that also), but either way I’m sure Blind will be very useful for us.

Annahnomoss

How well did Blind do as a right back? He played the majority of his games for Groeningen there I believe. Hopefully he can be a poor man's Lahm, capable of covering both full-back positions in worst case scenarios. Something Carrick sometimes finds himself doing, without being especially good at.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Blind is a cracking signing whatever way you look at it.

He was definitely one of 4-5 players I hoped we would sign as soon as LVG was confirmed. We've actually got 3 of those so far, so not too shabby.

Anyone mentioning Fellaini needs his head checked. We know goals in the Dutch League mean jack, but a defender/midfielder as young as him getting Footballer of the Year there is something else, i.e. not a Fellaini.

Annahnomoss

Blind is a cracking signing whatever way you look at it.

He was definitely one of 4-5 players I hoped we would sign as soon as LVG was confirmed. We've actually got 3 of those so far, so not too shabby.

Anyone mentioning Fellaini needs his head checked. We know goals in the Dutch League mean jack, but a defender/midfielder as young as him getting Footballer of the Year there is something else, i.e. not a Fellaini.
I think Blind will be a brilliant signing for us as he's played LCB/LB/RB and he will be our best player for the deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder. Not sure what label is correct with him really as he is either a DLP with great legs and defensive work rate or a defensive midfielder with world class passing.

At Ajax I would call him the latter and at Netherlands the former. We are very weirdly set up right now though with Di Maria here - I would almost have preferred Kagawa as an attacking LCM - ADM as an attacking RCM and Blind behind them. They'd have been comfortable at providing width and neither of them ever stops running.

Mata is too weak defensively to share the offensive and defensive duties with Di Maria. Hopefully Mata regains his Moyes form(defensively) where he was actually putting in work there as well.

revel911

I think Blind will be a brilliant signing for us as he's played LCB/LB/RB and he will be our best player for the deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder. Not sure what label is correct with him really as he is either a DLP with great legs and defensive work rate or a defensive midfielder with world class passing.

At Ajax I would call him the latter and at Netherlands the former. We are very weirdly set up right now though with Di Maria here - I would almost have preferred Kagawa as an attacking LCM - ADM as an attacking RCM and Blind behind them. They'd have been comfortable at providing width and neither of them ever stops running.

Mata is too weak defensively to share the offensive and defensive duties with Di Maria. Hopefully Mata regains his Moyes form(defensively) where he was actually putting in work there as well.
Me too .... me too!

carlosp

According to his twitter account then. According to reports in Portugal made it sound like it was some sort of scoop.
And yet if you read what I posted you would have seen I mentioned he said goodbye on his twitter page. If it's a news scoop by some Portuguese news website then so be it. I didn't say it was.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's done, but we will wait until we're done with all our transfer business to announce it big! American style!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We should do a wwe style entrance for all our signings. First blind, then Falcao, then while they are doing the press conference stone cold music plays and Vidal turns up and gives stunners to every reporter!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We should do a wwe style entrance for all our signings. First blind, then Falcao, then while they are doing the press conference stone cold music plays and Vidal turns up and gives stunners to every reporter!
You need Jim Ross' Baw Gawd though.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Wouldn't even need football games after that, just take the Prem. Title in a 6-way dance inferno ladder match.

Devil may care

Maybe Blind is going to play in the middle of the back 3 as the one who brings the ball out and starts off our attacks, with Jones and Rojo like two pit bulls either side of him for protection, essentially how I imagine Hummels would have been used.

MDFC Manager

I meant before that. Nobody saw it coming.
You see, that is exactly the problem. There has unfortunately been too much Vidal murmurings for it to happen now :( Its the swift and masked negotiations that have actually happened for us.

revel911

Maybe Blind is going to play in the middle of the back 3 as the one who brings the ball out and starts off our attacks, with Jones and Rojo like two pit bulls either side of him for protection, essentially how I imagine Hummels would have been used.
With us needing a DM, I doubt he will be playing there.

I am so excited to see Herrera and blind together!

Devil may care

To be fair with the current state of our midfield, Blind is likely to have a far bigger effect on our team than Falcao will.
We aren't exactly scoring goals either though, he'll give us a fast, powerful striker to run in behind defenses.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
We aren't exactly scoring goals either though, he'll give us a fast, powerful striker to run in behind defenses.
Yeah but it's not like our current strikers are crap. They could do more but we're really struggling in our build up play and the lack of quality in our midfield and full back positions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This shit you're serious?
I think having someone who can take the ball from the centre backs and get it to our attackers effectively could really lift our game. Fletcher and co have been rubbish at it so far.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen much of falcao and a midfielder is currently far easier to get excited over even if it's not a top class one.

Devil may care

Yeah but it's not like our current strikers are crap. They could do more but we're really struggling in our build up play and the lack of quality in our midfield and full back positions.
Rooney and Rvp naturally come deep, neither are pure #9's and it's why they don't fit well together, Falcao will be a much better pairing with one of them and offer us what Hernandez did but with better technique and link up play.

Status
Not open for further replies.