Dalot or AWB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Dalot for me. AWB is constantly out of position (hence having to make "hero" sliding tackles) and often plays opposition forwards onside. Of the two, I agree Dalot is more likely to fit ETH. Not sure you can coach mistakes out of a player. If an upgrade can be found, then that would clearly be the best bet. Last season, I think our fullbacks were as much at fault as the CBs

Rojofiam

Dalot is good going forward, seems to have a good understanding with Sancho, he has a nice passing range + good ball striking. I think ETH can nurture him into a good player.

Jacob

I was previously on the AWB train. Both are useless but Dalot is slightly less useless.

Trequarista10

Sadly it's not even close. Dalot isn't a very good footballer, but unlike AWB he is a footballer.

I usually hate sassy insults of our players, but hey I thought it was a good one.

I was previously on the AWB train. Both are useless but Dalot is slightly less useless.
Nar. Dalot can actually play a bit of football, he might not be a perfect fullback and is lacking in some areas, but he has the ability to come into midfield and confidence to actually play possession football. AWB doesn't.

Dominos

I'm amazed that right back isn't being treated as a priority position in the transfer market. It's arguably our weakest position on paper, and that's saying something because we're full of weak areas. AWB is really bad in building from the back and can't pass, the antithesis of a Ten Hag player. Dalot has shown us absolutely nothing in 5 years. It seems like it was said he was good going forward when we signed him and that label has managed to stick despite the fact he's never really contributed anything going forward in 5 years.

Dalot to be fair has had a good pre-season. If we're keeping one of them I'd keep Dalot as he's better technically and I suspect AWB would fetch a higher fee if we sold him given he's English and "premier league proven".

Not replacing Matic and not signing a right back is just baffling to me.

CarbonStoolBites

I'm amazed that right back isn't being treated as a priority position in the transfer market. It's arguably our weakest position on paper, and that's saying something because we're full of weak areas. AWB is really bad in building from the back and can't pass, the antithesis of a Ten Hag player. Dalot has shown us absolutely nothing in 5 years. It seems like it was said he was good going forward when we signed him and that label has managed to stick despite the fact he's never really contributed anything going forward in 5 years.

Dalot to be fair has had a good pre-season. If we're keeping one of them I'd keep Dalot as he's better technically and I suspect AWB would fetch a higher fee if we sold him given he's English and "premier league proven".

Not replacing Matic and not signing a right back is just baffling to me.
Matic hasn’t done anything of note in years, let alone last season. Garner and Savage can offer more than Matic did last season.

Dominos

Matic hasn’t done anything of note in years, let alone last season. Garner and Savage can offer more than Matic did last season.
That's not the point. We needed to replace Matic when he was still here because he wasn't good enough. Now we have no excuse at all not to replace him because he's left. We've long established Fred/Mctominay aren't good enough but realistically one of them will have to play every week alongside De Jong (providing we actually sign him). It's not that we need a "DM" per se but we're really lacking a player with some defensive nous (which Fred/Mctom don't have) who are also good on the ball (which Fred/Mctom aren't).

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

As of now, Dalot wins for me. He cover the length of the pitch to better effect than AWB does. However, the lack of progress in Laird's development means that we will have to beef up the position sooner than later.

Sometimes I wonder if the RB position is currently in a situation of shortage when it comes to the amount of talent compared to previous decades. That also does not help if we are looking for talent.

Varane around town

I do see AWB getting much of a look in.

He has absolutely none of the qualities that Ten Hag is looking for. He's terrible going forward. A liability on the ball and technically poor.

I honest to god think we'll see Lindelof get more games in at RB than AWB this season.

cyril C

Choose between the 2, it will be Dalot any time. Dalot's limitation is on defence, so he will struggle against good left wing, but probably do OK against bottom clubs if you get a decent RHS CB covering him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kinda of weird that so many are against Dalot here. He's not TAA or Reece James, but he is talented and has his uses, and has plenty of potential himself. Only 23 years old, very young as a fullback. He's shown great promise this tour and honestly hasn't put a foot wrong. I think he'll have a very good season tbh.

norm87cro

I honestly dont know at this point. Many of the caf saying Dalot but he really wasnt a first team choice last year. AWB is the better defender with attacking limitations so its hard to say

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
In another 6 months, people would laugh at this thread. AWB is one of the worst signings we have ever made . 50m for a cultural reboot shit.

Waynne

Dalot seems more at ease in the build up phase when in possession. AWB looks like he has his mortgage on the line when receiving passes in the attacking positions.

UDontMessWith24

Dalot was one of the better right back prospects in Europe before we bought him. His development was derailed a bit but he’s a lot better than people think

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Kinda of weird that so many are against Dalot here. He's not TAA or Reece James, but he is talented and has his uses, and has plenty of potential himself. Only 23 years old, very young as a fullback. He's shown great promise this tour and honestly hasn't put a foot wrong. I think he'll have a very good season tbh.
I didn't rate him at all, especially after watching him under Ole and was wishing for young to play as RB, he was so bad but credit to him, he has done really well in the preseason and easily first choice this season. It's up to him now to show we don't need new RB.

Fina

AWB is excellent when on form and didn't really get to play that much last season. Don't understand the bad rep he has got, but even if we upgrade on him he is certainly the type of player you'd want in your squad as a tactical option. I'll rather get Wan Bissaka involved than Dalot if we need to change a game, secure a lead etc.
I honestly dont know at this point. Many of the caf saying Dalot but he really wasnt a first team choice last year. AWB is the better defender with attacking limitations so its hard to say
I don't understand anyone who prefer awb here , do you want us to play park the bus football again ? Because his slide tackling skill is only useful for a team who park the bus and surrender possession , because most of the time , slide tackle only ends up giving possession back to the opponents. If we wanted to play like ajax, we rather play with 10 mens than having him because he is absolutely detrimental when we have possession.

Lee565

They are both bang average, both belong at a mid table side or in a weaker league.

It's position like this, midfield with mctominay and up front with martial now as basically our main striker where I think how bloody hard is it for our club to fund upgrades on these players who are all mid table players at best and that is being kind because there are a lot of midfielders, rightbackd and forwards at mid table clubs just in the prem that I would take over these players.

We are not only just relying on ten hag being able to make that big step up to being top manager in one of the strongest leagues but be as good as fegie because he is going to have to be a miracle worker with this current squad.

Chief123

Unfortunately AWB isn’t even good enough to act as “backup” option. He would struggle to offer anything meaningful whenever he would come on or start instead of Dalot.

At this point we are better off finding any backup right back whether they are old or young who are actually comfortable receiving the ball.

-Supreme-

Dalot‘s contract ends next year, let’s hope he extends regardless if he will be good enough for us. He could easily command £20m+ fee if he becomes our first team regulars this season which is looking likely at this stage.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I’ve been really impressed by Dalot in pre-season. Never really rated him but he does seem to be one of very few players in our squad who is improving. Definitely nailed down that RB slot now. Good on him.
He's extremely dodgy on defense though, like proper bad. Even yesterday he picked the only option that could make it easier for Felix to get a clean shot on goal.

Even if he is the first choice at right back, I'm surprised by how little Wan Bissaka has played so far. He's still the de facto back up if Laird goes on loan and there are far too many games to rely on one option. Only thing I can think of is that we are still banking on Wan Bissaka leaving and buying another right back.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's extremely dodgy on defense though, like proper bad. Even yesterday he picked the only option that could make it easier for Felix to get a clean shot on goal.

Even if he is the first choice at right back, I'm surprised by how little Wan Bissaka has played so far. He's still the de facto back up if Laird goes on loan and there are far too many games to rely on one option. Only thing I can think of is that we are still banking on Wan Bissaka leaving and buying another right back.
It's prerty clear ETH wants AWB gone asap.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Two very underwhelming fullback options. Whoever's playing on the wide right this season has my sympathies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Right back will be a weakness all season if we don't upgrade on these two.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Dalot‘s contract ends next year, let’s hope he extends regardless if he will be good enough for us. He could easily command £20m+ fee if he becomes our first team regulars this season which is looking likely at this stage.
Does he not have the usual + 1? He should be extended already if not and then you can sell him for a small profit, if needs be. I’m not sure he’ll be good enough in the long run, but I think you need to get into the habit of selling players like him on once it it’s clear.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
My preference is Dalot, and having Laird as back up. Sell AWB while his stock is reasonably decent - in that his defence/tackling attribute is fairly decent.

Greck

AWB isn't Dalot's competition because he doesn't even seem to exist in ETH's world. Should be a lesson, you don't spend 50m on poor technique in the modern game. High chance the next manager will discard. That whole summer was Ole and Phelan cosplay dressing up as Fergie. Cultural reboot that forgot to check actual footballing ability. Maguire is the last one standing and even a successful season won't cancel out the vast overpay.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I thought his defending has been generally solid in pre-season. Don’t think we should be too harsh on his defending leading up to their goal. Lots of top fullbacks would struggle when isolated 1v1 against Jao Felix.

-Supreme-

Does he not have the usual + 1? He should be extended already if not and then you can sell him for a small profit, if needs be. I’m not sure he’ll be good enough in the long run, but I think you need to get into the habit of selling players like him on once it it’s clear.
He did and already activated a few months ago.

I agree, we certainly shouldn‘t keep hold of players for too long and be more decisive, Tuanzebe and Henderson are prime examples when we could have got £60m + combined when they had successful loans.

ThanksBoss26

My preference is Dalot, and having Laird as back up. Sell AWB while his stock is reasonably decent - in that his defence/tackling attribute is fairly decent.
I'd have concerns that ship has already sailed given the lack of interest from elsewhere it seems. I'd be really surprised if we can shift him permanently this summer. A loan (and hoping he does well and goes next year) I reckon is the best we'll be able to get at the moment.

Lentwood

Unpopular opinion but I would rather see AWB

There is this idea that Dalot is 'betting going forward'. I understand that we can't just determine 'better' through statistics, but Dalot has about 8 career assists in senior football. So we really are scraping the barrel if we're saying his standout quality is his attacking contribution. Like I say, I get it's about a bit more than that, but I really don't think Dalot is good at anything. In fact, I think he's pretty poor at most things.

Now, on AWB. Again, I get that he's supposed to be the worse option going forward...but his record is largely similar to Dalot's. Again...caveat...I know it's about a bit more than that...but I actually don't believe there is anywhere near as much in it as people make out.

Then we consider the defending. People talk about AWBs slide tackling style and make out it's because he's reckless and out-of-position, which I believe is one of those lazy things people who know 'enough to be dangerous' say about football. Sure, AWB makes plenty of sliding tackles, but that's his style. He lures players into taking him on because he knows he's so good in one vs one duels. So he'll shows players some daylight to have a go at him, backing himself to make the tackle.

And...on that point, when you select AWB, you can leave him alone to man-mark a player safe in the knowledge he doesn't need the 'double-up'. Dalot is a terrible one vs one defender, as we saw when that average Villarreal forward absolutely destroyed him time and time again at OT. That just would not have happened to AWB.

So to summarise quite a wordy argument simply...I don't think Dalot is good at anything, whilst I can think of uses for AWB. So I'd favour AWB and use him differently....i.e. overload our right side with attacking players and give them license to 'cheat' a little bit with tracking-back and stay higher to create counter-attacking opportunities.

OR...I'd use AWB as the Kyle Walker-style recovery fullback. So he ALWAYS stays back when we attack and we use his pace/tackling ability to help defend against breakaways.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

There is this idea that Dalot is 'betting going forward'. I understand that we can't just determine 'better' through statistics, but Dalot has about 8 career assists in senior football. So we really are scraping the barrel if we're saying his standout quality is his attacking contribution. Like I say, I get it's about a bit more than that, but I really don't think Dalot is good at anything. In fact, I think he's pretty poor at most things.

Now, on AWB. Again, I get that he's supposed to be the worse option going forward...but his record is largely similar to Dalot's. Again...caveat...I know it's about a bit more than that...but I actually don't believe there is anywhere near as much in it as people make out.

Then we consider the defending. People talk about AWBs slide tackling style and make out it's because he's reckless and out-of-position, which I believe is one of those lazy things people who know 'enough to be dangerous' say about football. Sure, AWB makes plenty of sliding tackles, but that's his style. He lures players into taking him on because he knows he's so good in one vs one duels. So he'll shows players some daylight to have a go at him, backing himself to make the tackle.

And...on that point, when you select AWB, you can leave him alone to man-mark a player safe in the knowledge he doesn't need the 'double-up'. Dalot is a terrible one vs one defender, as we saw when that average Villarreal forward absolutely destroyed him time and time again at OT. That just would not have happened to AWB.

So to summarise quite a wordy argument simply...I don't think Dalot is good at anything, whilst I can think of uses for AWB. So I'd favour AWB and use him differently....i.e. overload our right side with attacking players and give them license to 'cheat' a little bit with tracking-back and stay higher to create counter-attacking opportunities.

OR...I'd use AWB as the Kyle Walker-style recovery fullback. So he ALWAYS stays back when we attack and we use his pace/tackling ability to help defend against breakaways.
I understand what your saying but the way wan Bissaka gets forward slows down the attack.

Dalot’s outside runs are better and helps our inverted forward.

Greck

You can't hide a fullback from getting on the ball if you're trying to control the game. Difficult to control a game with even a single less contributor. We're also not compensating a whole flank because AWB has no attacking talent. You compensate for stars with a real risk-reward. AWB in preseason doesn't even look like he's playing the same system as the others. He's struggling big time with getting pressed and panick hoofing back to the opponent. He's already looking like a disaster in this system which is no surprise because more time on the ball doesn't suit him, actually makes him worse being asked to play his way out of trouble. Is no longer afforded the luxury of hoofing or panic passing back to De gea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.