Damage done by previous regime

Foxbatt

RR was not happy that we did not fight and get pushed off the ball too easily. Also we did not fight to get the second ball. There are already Ole inners having a go at RR on some other threads. He will have a hard time to change the mentality of the players and needs to be harsh on some of them if they do not pull their weight.

Ludens the Red

Look closer guys. If you squint hard enough you can see the "strong" foundations Ole left for the next man. 3 years definitely not wasted.
People will complain about threads like these but they’re fair game to me. If there wasn’t a section of our fanbase burying their heads in the sand for so many years I think people would be less annoyed at how rubbish we actually are as a functioning football team. All that building and foundation bullshit. Apart from a talented squad (we spent half a billion, expected)
We’re a car crash of a football team aesthetically.

The thing that pisses me off the most about our players is their bad habits. Bad habits that were allowed to manifest and fester for years and the back room staff did nothing to address it. A lot of people speculated Ole was soft and it’s pretty obvious this was largely true. I’ve never seen a group of players display so many bad habits on the pitch.

It’s incessant.

Rashford
‘Dropping of shoulder and pointlessly slowing down the game’
‘ Running the ball out of play’
‘ giving the ball away and not tracking back’

Bruno
‘ Attempting impossible cross field balls’
‘ unnecessarily reckless passing

Greenwood
‘ ignoring team mates in better positions to attempt shots from impossible angles’

Shaw
‘Giving away daft bookings and fouls by puling back opposition players’

Maguire
‘ Diddle dallying on the ball’
‘ running 10/15 yards forward with the ball then turning around and passing it back’

They just don’t work hard enough and thats the bottom line. Apart from McFred, every single player in this squad has more to give and they just haven’t been. Three years of doing it, it’s going to be a tough job drilling it into this group.
The basic notion of giving the ball away and running to get it back would be a good start ….

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Look closer guys. If you squint hard enough you can see the "strong" foundations Ole left for the next man. 3 years definitely not wasted.
If your only feeling of accomplishment is a league title, you're going to live life feeling very hollow. Its been a decade since the last time we sat top of the table after 38 games. The academy is brimming with talent, of course the future is bright.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Ole is gone, we had enough anti Ole threads when he was here. Let it go people, just let it go............

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
RR was not happy that we did not fight and get pushed off the ball too easily. Also we did not fight to get the second ball. There are already Ole inners having a go at RR on some other threads. He will have a hard time to change the mentality of the players and needs to be harsh on some of them if they do not pull their weight.
Are anyone having a go at Ralf? Surely you jest, the Caf never attacks the manager for every minor thing.

Greck

If your only feeling of accomplishment is a league title, you're going to live life feeling very hollow. Its been a decade since the last time we sat top of the table after 38 games. The academy is brimming with talent, of course the future is bright.
or you know just a league cup or FA cup or any of the other cup goals that justify spending the GDP of a country.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
or you know just a league cup or FA cup or any of the other cup goals that justify spending the GDP of a country.
My advice is to enjoy everything. Why give the team your time if you don't want to enjoy the journey regardless of where it takes you.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
  1. Moyes's tenure was due to the way SAF left United and arguably even him choosing Moyes as the next manager
  2. Van Gaal has to use Fellaini as a possesion player with hardly anyone good being bought by Moyes. Van gaal has the freedom and belief he should sell everyone at United and buy his dross.
  3. Mourinho sells Rooney as the problematic captain from the previous tenure. Players like RVP have been sold. He has to deal with Darmians instead of Rafael's. Martial from Van Gaals tenure is becoming both a problem and job saviour. Mcnair is useless. Players are used to playing possesion based football, now parking the bus trying to play long balls to the forwards.
  4. Ole realises that Jose bought Lukaku is not a 100 mil player and can barely play keepy uppy due to his horrendous first touch. Players like Pogba are trying to be fit in with an ageing player like Matic - both bought from Jose's tenure. Smalling's ball playing ability is a problem, crossing ability of Ashley Young is not useful anymore. Feels the need to be happy and relaxed after all the toxicity from the previous manager and plays a free "play as you wish" managerial attempt.
  5. Rangnick is shocked by the party like atmosphere currently at United with hardly any pressing from any player or their ability to to even play a simple team tactic due to Ole's 'individualised player' managerial attempt. Suddenly the slide tackling ability of Wan Bissaka looks less useful than ever. Ronaldo has to press. Rangnick wants proper coaches than these dissapointing coaches used heavily by Ole. Wondering why Pogba is in dubai instead of training when it was acceptable under Ole and given new contracts for such decisions.

Blaming the previous manager can always happen - it's just that way because these people/managers/players have left or been sacked.

Last edited:

Greck

My advice is to enjoy everything. Why give the team your time if you don't want to enjoy the journey regardless of where it takes you.
No doubt you also enjoyed Jose, LVG and Moyes?

bazza3727

It's a sign of modern times that the players are completely blameless in all of this.

You don't need to be coached to press, and it's a disgrace that so many of the team can barely control or pass a ball at times.
The main failing as I see it, isn't necessarily lack of fitness, but an obvious inability to pass a ball accurately (with either foot) to a team mate. The standard for full time professional footballers at our club is appalling. Until this situation is managed effectively and players coached to do the basics right, we aren't going to move forward anytime soon.

Dion

Agreed. But the fall from the Palace performance for a squad that was mostly rested since that game?
Palace where the perfect team to try and learn to press against, they play out from the back (badly) and if we're being honest the performance against Palace from an attacking point of view was very poor.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No doubt you also enjoyed Jose, LVG and Moyes?
I enjoy every single goal the team scores to the tune of screaming in my sofa. I absolutely love every good moment this team brings.

bazza3727

We have a lazy and unfit squad of players. We get outworked and outrun by every team we play. It's pathetic. Especially our attackers who just phone it in every week both offensively and defensively.

Not even 2 games in and they've just decided they can't be arsed to commit to the press.
You don't know what the manager's asked them to do! Perhaps he set them up differently for an away game? Baby steps?

Sviken

It will take a while, but I want to see signs of a system being put in place in the next month or so. These past 2 matches have been horrible regression from the nice surprise of Crystal Palace. Ok, in that match we couldn't maintain the same intensity or purpose for the entirety of the game and we reverted in the second half to the "moments" football we've played the past 3 years, but at least the first half gave us all hope that things will change. This match against Norwich was dreadful,. We never even looked remotely organized. Players were lethargic despite being rested, there were no "hunting" packs in our pressing, we got totally bypassed in midfield and the wings. And this is the worst team in the PL, much worse than Crystal Palace. I'm also not at all happy with the Ole-tier subs. Worrying stuff. But again, I won't judge until a month or two where we at least should start seeing some patterns of play.

Monger

1. Moyes's tenure was due to the way SAF left United and arguably even him choosing Moyes as the next manager
  2. Van Gaal has to use Fellaini as a possesion player with hardly anyone good being bought by Moyes. Van gaal has the freedom and belief he should sell everyone at United and buy his dross.
  3. Mourinho sells Rooney as the problematic captain from the previous tenure. Players like RVP have been sold. He has to deal with Darmians instead of Rafael's. Martial from Van Gaals tenure is becoming both a problem and job saviour. Mcnair is useless. Players are used to playing possesion based football, now parking the bus trying to play long balls to the forwards.
  4. Ole realises that Jose bought Lukaku is not a 100 mil player and can barely play keepy uppy due to his horrendous first touch. Players like Pogba are trying to be fit in with an ageing player like Matic - both bought from Jose's tenure. Smalling's ball playing ability is a problem, crossing ability of Ashley Young is not useful anymore. Feels the need to be happy and relaxed after all the toxicity from the previous manager and plays a free "play as you wish" managerial attempt.
  5. Rangnick is shocked by the party like atmosphere currently at United with hardly any pressing from any player or their ability to to even play a simple team tactic due to Ole's 'individualised player' managerial attempt. Suddenly the slide tackling ability of Wan Bissaka looks less useful than ever. Ronaldo has to press. Rangnick wants proper coaches than these dissapointing coaches used heavily by Ole. Wondering why Pogba is in dubai instead of training when it was acceptable under Ole and given new contracts for such decisions.

Blaming the previous manager can always happen - it's just that way because these players have left or been sacked.
Spot on. Is the problem the previous regime or the fact you have no consistency in choosing managers. Flip flopping between differing style will always mean having to turn over 30% of the squad each time and living with failings of the past.

stevoc

The coaching team is now huge.

Would like McKenna gone to be honest as I doubt we need him. He was a part of the failed coaching staff and Ralf now has his own coaches in.

For this to work you'd want clarity from the coaching staff and people like McKenna aren't going to truly know what Ragnick wants.
Yes watching the performances today I couldn't help but think they would be so much better instantly if only we'd sack the guy who sits on the bench beside the manager who doesn't have that much input into tactics or team selection.

Yes that's the answer definitely.

The United

The coaching team is now huge.

Would like McKenna gone to be honest as I doubt we need him. He was a part of the failed coaching staff and Ralf now has his own coaches in.

For this to work you'd want clarity from the coaching staff and people like McKenna aren't going to truly know what Ragnick wants.
RR can't even get his own coaches and the one that he got was a sacked manager.

Here Mckenna is the problem...

Greck

It will take a while, but I want to see signs of a system being put in place in the next month or so. These past 2 matches have been horrible regression from the nice surprise of Crystal Palace. Ok, in that match we couldn't maintain the same intensity or purpose for the entirety of the game and we reverted in the second half to the "moments" football we've played the past 3 years, but at least the first half gave us all hope that things will change. This match against Norwich was dreadful,. We never even looked remotely organized. Players were lethargic despite being rested, there were no "hunting" packs in our pressing, we got totally bypassed in midfield and the wings. And this is the worst team in the PL, much worse than Crystal Palace. I'm also not at all happy with the Ole-tier subs. Worrying stuff. But again, I won't judge until a month or two where we at least should start seeing some patterns of play.
1. It's already showing, a lot of the breakdowns in the final 3rd are coming from wayward attempts to square passes and work the ball in. It's picture clear what they are trying and failing at.
2. It's an interim manager, he doesn't have to show anything after 3 months because he won't be here long after. If only people were this strict with Ole we wouldn't be down 500m and 3 years of our lives we'll never get back. Instead we all of a sudden have standards for an interim that has no future in the role. Where was this when Ole "needed a preseason with the lads" and enough backing to fund a war.

Edit. Rangnick has also taken us from 8th place to 5th place. His only goal as an interim is to steady a sinking ship not to build anything in only 6 months. Anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's more than evident now.
1. Players are not anywhere near as fit as required to press effectively for 60 let alone 90 mins.
2. Lack of discipline from some players, to adhere to tactics.
3. Recruitment done in defence the past years exposed horribly. AWB, maguire nowhere near the quality required. Which is why we are having to fall back on second string players.

Can something actually be coached into these players given they have been effectively on a holiday for the past 3 years or is it too much to ask from an interim manager?
So they managed to finish 2nd and 3rd in the last 2 years by being on holiday? Maguire who was in the Euros team of the tournament is now not good enough.

Players who scored the most late goals last season and had the most comebacks are unfit?

I think the Caf needs to come up with some kind of moderation system which reduces the amount of these idiotic posts.

Last edited:

arthurka

We won had another clean sheet so please just enjoy. Ralf has been here for a fecking week and had as many clean sheets this season in the league as Ole. Let's give the guy at least a month before we start moaning.

justsomebloke

Bruno scored 28 goals last season, averaging a goal every other game, amongst other contributions. But hey, it's just goals
He was also second in assists. Which means he considerably outscored every striker in the league, except Harry Kane. As well as being named player of the month several times. You wouldn't think there'd be much room for debate concerning whether that was a great season or not. But there will be people who are prepared to neg on absolutely anyone, no matter how absurd.

justsomebloke

1. Rangnick is shocked by the party like atmosphere currently at United with hardly any pressing from any player or their ability to to even play a simple team tactic due to Ole's 'individualised player' managerial attempt. Suddenly the slide tackling ability of Wan Bissaka looks less useful than ever. Ronaldo has to press. Rangnick wants proper coaches than these dissapointing coaches used heavily by Ole. Wondering why Pogba is in dubai instead of training when it was acceptable under Ole and given new contracts for such decisions
What, you mean the same Rangnick who expressed delight and surprise at the intensity of the pressing and the fitness of the team after the Palace game? And the same Rangnick who has so far retained all of the coaching staff, and attempted to persuade Carrick to stay? Or is there a different Rangnick that only you can access in your own head who told you this?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Where's all the whiny bitches at? Ah, there you all are.

Well it was a good 5 days while it lasted.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What, you mean the same Rangnick who expressed delight and surprise at the intensity of the pressing and the fitness of the team after the Palace game? And the same Rangnick who has so far retained all of the coaching staff, and attempted to persuade Carrick to stay? Or is there a different Rangnick that only you can access in your own head who told you this?
He has been here for a week so I'm trying to see the future rather than read through a week.

The blame from SAF to moyes, from Moyes to Van gaal from Van Gaal to Mourinho, from mourinho to Ole -

Ole to Rangnick will develop over time.

roseguy64

I don't think it's about damage done. Let's say RR sorts them out then does it suddenly mean the previous regime laid an amazing groundwork?

The situation is quite clear, we are a failing, spluttering machine and we're now trying to implement a complete sea change of mentality in and out of possession mid season and we're asking people to be quicker in thought and ability on the ball. So now we're seeing some serious teething problems in the consistency of what they can reproduce.

It's time to move on from blaming Ole, or Jose or whoever else and simply accept the situation for what it is. It's already abundantly clear we are in a mess hence the manager sacked mid season with no plan. The players have responsibility to improve, particularly the controllables like fitness and attitude. RR has to earn his salary and show some improvement, although we have to have some realism about what can be expected.
This pretty much.

People love to grasp at anything that supports their agenda though hence threads like this.

Ole's gone. People need to stop letting him haunt their nightmares.

roseguy64

Exactly what I was talking about in the matchday thread. I fear that Mckenna could be clouding some of Ragnick’s judgment.
Poor Ralf. So easily seduced by Kieran's sweet words. Sucks for him he's so weak-willed and can't think for himself.

Bondi77

Ole living rent free in peoples minds.....time to move on.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeh I hate it when I see him whispering shit to Ragnick.

What could he possibly feel confident enough about to try and influence the managers ideas.
Jaysus. It sounds like some high school level comment of a jilted boy. Not some high school kids whispering behind your back!!!

These are feckin' professionals. This sort of stuff happens at work every day.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope we got enough to limp into top 4 and I do think we have the quality in this team to do it. It will be a grind until the start of the new campaign. Hopefully, the board extend Ralf for another 12 to 24 months before appointing another person. It was awful to watch, team can't press effectively, no teamwork, lazy and casual passing. We only can only Thank De Gea for winning.

SoCross

Yeh I hate it when I see him whispering shit to Ragnick.

What could he possibly feel confident enough about to try and influence the managers ideas.
He is manipulating his way into becoming the ruler of the seven kingdoms. Kieran Littlefinger McKenna

Tallis

Pretty sure McKenna is responsible for the subpar dinner I got last night.

ExoduS

Combination of things went wrong this season:
- Ole and coaching staff not being good enough to guide the team they assembled toward greatness
- Sancho not adapting fast enough to the premiership
- Maguire declining or not finding form
- Varane getting injured and re-injured
- Rashford not being the same after the surgery he had this summer
- Martial going to sh1t with his form and totally crashing down
- Not sure what is going with Cavani? Injured? Recovered but not fit enough to play? Totally don't know what is going on there, but he is barely playing.
- Ronaldo's arrival, and please don't kill me, had an opposite effect of what everyone was beliving is going to happen. Everyone was saying that he will make other players better, but that is not happening. Greenwood and Fernandes got worse. I think Ronaldo is directly responsible for that. Off course not on purpose, but by the virtue of some players crumbling under pressure to be on his level, and there is just no natural chemistry between our attacking players any more. Morale of our attacking and creative players should have went up, but to me it looks that it went down.

The only thing that went well this season is that actually Ronaldo is scoring like crazy and is fighting for the team. Other positive is off course De Gea's immense saves this season, including penalties.

TheReligion

Abusive
No idea what the point of this thread is. Obviously there's damage been done by the previous regimes otherwise we wouldn't have sacked the coach we had?

CG1010

Ole failed to kick on and was rightfully sacked. Now the focus should be on these players. They should be good enough to create chances against Norwich.

Having said that, there is no need to moan as yet. We were really short of confidence and we are slowly building that up.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
3.5 years with no coach would leave any team in ruin.

We are going through a transition after the clowns left, it’ll take time.
It's 5.5 years.

It's funny when Jose signed he said he will have to do lot of work as last 3 years wasn't good enough and said he will make everyone forget those years.

Then when Ole was signed, it was his role to correct previous mistakes.

Now with Rangnick the same thing is repeated.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People will complain about threads like these but they’re fair game to me. If there wasn’t a section of our fanbase burying their heads in the sand for so many years I think people would be less annoyed at how rubbish we actually are as a functioning football team.
You mean the same people who buried their heads in sand during Jose time suddenly saw the light and how far we are from elite teams? Or the people who saw the light during Jose's time suddenly buried their heads in sand during Ole era.

People moaning depends on who the manager is and whether they like him, same for players too. It's nothing to do with how good we are as a functional team, at least with section of fans.