Daniel Hale sentenced to 45 months in prison for drone leak

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Most of the world already knew that the strikes weren't as accurate as the US liked to portray them. We've had plenty of evidence over the years and logical people know what it leads to. It's the killings that lead to security risks not the release of these documents, always have and will continue to do so until the military industrial complex has its wings clipped and stops killing innocent people in the name of protecting America from terrorists all while ensuring there is a steady stream of people willing to attack them for killing innocent people.

The War on Terror is a genius invention as it allows the MIC to continue its R&D and money making activities without putting the US at serious risk of having to find new countries to declare war on.
Well put. The notion that the publicization of war crimes by western democracies is what fuels radicalisation rather than the actual war crimes themselves is absurd.

edcunited1878

Most of the world already knew that the strikes weren't as accurate as the US liked to portray them. We've had plenty of evidence over the years and logical people know what it leads to. It's the killings that lead to security risks not the release of these documents, always have and will continue to do so until the military industrial complex has its wings clipped and stops killing innocent people in the name of protecting America from terrorists all while ensuring there is a steady stream of people willing to attack them for killing innocent people.

The War on Terror is a genius invention as it allows the MIC to continue its R&D and money making activities without putting the US at serious risk of having to find new countries to declare war on.
The War on Terror also empowers government agencies and enables a handful of individuals to influence policies that are beyond our comprehension. It's a default narrative that, like you say, continues to pump money into these companies. It's a vicious cycle of former military, turned lobbyists, pubic officials/elected politicians, and policy makers.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Good quote, where's it from?

"In the age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - Winston Churchill.
From a random poster on the Caf (myself) seems an obvious truism though, doesn't it. Not too many examples of it, unfortunately. And the sentence - let alone being prosecuted under a draconian act that hardly applied back then (100 years ago) and definitely does not apply now - is a threat to a so-called democracy. You cannot defend properly so due process is completely abandoned. I know fascism is bandied about here and there when it's something entirely different, but that is a fascist piece of legislation and used as such. I would assume that every single instance of its use (at least in the last half century) is an example of a state acting outside of its mandate and undermining the civil liberties of all and the right of the people to be informed.

And Churchill was a bit of a monster with good sound bites here and there.

Green_Red

From a random poster on the Caf (myself) seems an obvious truism though, doesn't it. Not too many examples of it, unfortunately. And the sentence - let alone being prosecuted under a draconian act that hardly applied back then (100 years ago) and definitely does not apply now - is a threat to a so-called democracy. You cannot defend properly so due process is completely abandoned. I know fascism is bandied about here and there when it's something entirely different, but that is a fascist piece of legislation and used as such. I would assume that every single instance of its use (at least in the last half century) is an example of a state acting outside of its mandate and undermining the civil liberties of all and the right of the people to be informed.

And Churchill was a bit of a monster with good sound bites here and there.
It does, wise words. It's not surprising that he has been sent to jail for what he did. The proper response would include an inquest into the activities of the organisation he was part of because they are breaking the law based on his whistleblowing. Not sure if that will happen, it definitely should.

Raven

A genuine hero. It's a shame that hero's like him are torn down, prosecuted and slandered by "the good guys". Everything about this makes me feel sick.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The end result of too much collateral damage is bad and the inefficiency of these strikes is shocking...but it's completely justified in the military industrial complex POV. That's a harsh and totally fecked up reality for normal folks like us to comprehend, but to those who make those decisions, the juice is worth the squeeze.
I get your point, and know you don't mean it in an incendiary way but it's a very hard thing to stomach. And it would never happen if the shoe was on the other foot or be allowed to happen. The media / govt propaganda has put people from third world or non-white countries into a bracket of being less than human. Having less rights than us. Being expendable. It's sickening.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It does, wise words. It's not surprising that he has been sent to jail for what he did. The proper response would include an inquest into the activities of the organisation he was part of because they are breaking the law based on his whistleblowing. Not sure if that will happen, it definitely should.
Didn't happen with Ellsberg, didn't happen with Snowden, didn't happen with Manning, didn't happen with Kiriakou, didn't happen with Drake, didn't happen with Jenkins. The list goes on.

For it to happen the whole state apparatus would have to acknowledge what it actually is.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A genuine hero. It's a shame that hero's like him are torn down, prosecuted and slandered by "the good guys". Everything about this makes me feel sick.
Not only by the state. Once released he'll be shunted by most of the people he meet.

His life is pretty much over, sadly.

Snowden was still a traitor in the eyes of many americans.

This isnt whistleblowing. The whole US army knows what's exactly happening, even her allies knows what exactly a drone strike is. It's just a glorified mini bomb. It's not some exact secret technology that uses homing bulets to kill 1 individual in a group. It's just a big grenade you lob from the skies

Meanwhile

Last edited: