Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was probably our best attacker, he has started the season well. His technical ability is underrated, he is far from kick and run merchant.
My main issue with him is his final ball, but he is young and can improve on that. Promising player

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
My main issue with him is his final ball, but he is young and can improve on that. Promising player
There was 0 movement in the box. Barely anyone made runs to near post, far post. It's so easy to defend.

Cassidy

There was 0 movement in the box. Barely anyone made runs to near post, far post. It's so easy to defend.
Agree with that, more saying the evolution needs to be for him to be able to pick players out rather than just play balls in to areas

Its quite bad that when James gets the ball Rashford doesn't even attempt to make the run to near or far post. Not sure what Ole is even telling him

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I worry for James, he is clearly full of potential and is a great buy, but because of injuries and the way the season is going, he is suddenly the focus of your attack, he is the one expected to deliver the creativity and the movement to break down defences. The lad is 21 and before this season had never played a premiership game.

This is how to break a player completely rather than break him in to the first team successfully.

SambaBoy

He's been a breath of fresh air. Someone who likes to try make things happen and believes in himself, which is in stark contrast to some of the current players and players we have seen over the years.

He may not be the most talented but he's not weighed down by the pressure of playing for United or the current malaise we are in.

In saying that, as mentioned above, I hope we don't put too much pressure on his shoulders to be our main focus of the attack.

Scholsey2004

I worry for James, he is clearly full of potential and is a great buy, but because of injuries and the way the season is going, he is suddenly the focus of your attack, he is the one expected to deliver the creativity and the movement to break down defences. The lad is 21 and before this season had never played a premiership game.

This is how to break a player completely rather than break him in to the first team successfully.
He's had a full season with Swansea. He's 21, not 17 after all. If you shield them too long it has an adverse affect on them.

AneRu

Agree with that, more saying the evolution needs to be for him to be able to pick players out rather than just play balls in to areas

Its quite bad that when James gets the ball Rashford doesn't even attempt to make the run to near or far post. Not sure what Ole is even telling him
I think it's more on Rashford and the midfielders not moving towards the ball, waiting to be picked. Remember the winger has a hard enough job to beat his market and put a cross in. During Rooney's prime he would pass the ball to Valencia and make a run into the box to meet the resultant cross, we have no one doing that these days.

Cassidy

I think it's more on Rashford and the midfielders not moving towards the ball, waiting to be picked. Remember the winger has a hard enough job to beat his market and put a cross in. During Rooney's prime he would pass the ball to Valencia and make a run into the box to meet the resultant cross, we have no one doing that these days.
Its not really a big criticism but top players do that and then pick out a man, its just something he needs to improve. Yes of course forwards could make better runs also

AneRu

Its not really a big criticism but top players do that and then pick out a man, its just something he needs to improve. Yes of course forwards could make better runs also
The thing with crosses is that it's a bit of a gamble but the purpose is defied when strikers don't make a run. He could improve and that would be welcome but I look at De Bruyne, the best crosser in the league/world imo he puts the ball in a dangerous area and the City players attack those areas hardly comparable to having a striker stood still at the penalty spot.

ManchesterYoda

I think James is massively over-hyped. I liked the 3 goals he's scored but apart from that, I think he's performed at a similar level to Rashford and Lingard. I hate it when we champion mediocrity. I don't think he's a great signing whatsoever.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think James is massively over-hyped. I liked the 3 goals he's scored but apart from that, I think he's performed at a similar level to Rashford and Lingard. I hate it when we champion mediocrity. I don't think he's a great signing whatsoever.
Needs massive work in the final third, even on his best days that was clear. I expect a lot of fans to criticise him in the coming weeks as if this is a new revelation.

He's a good player but a lot to polish.

Hoof the ball

He's done well this far and scored some crucial goals this season. He always going to be dangerous due to his pace, but you can tell he's a 7/10 footballer. Remove his physical advantages and he's technically and tactically decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

Devil may care

Looked a bit lost today with getting shunted from one position to another, they should keep it simple with him, get the ball and attack the RB.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Not really. Most people agree that he's a good talent but we shouldn't be relying on him just yet. The fact that he's been our best attacker so far tells you how poor the rest have been.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Are you talking Rashford and Lingard's average performances over the last few years, or their performances this season? Lingard in particular has been unbelievably shit so far this season and I can't see how you could possibly have him and James remotely at the same level. Even Rashford has been poor and James has comfortably outperformed him so far this season. In saying that I do feel some of his performances have been over-hyped.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ideally he would only come off the bench to impact the game or get used to him. The fact that we need him to be starting is good and bad at the same time. It shows how weak we've become when a player like him (by that I mean still limited but developping) becomes so essential so quickly but at the same time, I give him credit for taking those opportunities.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nice interview with him in the Beeb today:

Two years ago Daniel James was considering whether he had a future in football. One year ago he wanted to join Yeovil Town on loan.

Now he is hoping to stay at Manchester United for the rest of his career. Things in football move quickly - as does James.

The Wales winger had only made 28 league starts for Swansea City when United paid £15m to bring him to Old Trafford this summer.

The speedy 21-year-old has had a great start to life in the Premier League, and scored three goals in his first four top-flight games.

He has spoken to BBC Radio 5 Live about a rise that has caught even himself by surprise. "I still don't believe I'm a Manchester United player," he admitted.

'I thought is football really for me?'

Daniel James featured for Shrewsbury Town in pre-season in 2017 but never even made the bench for a competitive game
James was no wonderkid bursting on to the scene at an early age - and did not make a first-team debut until the age of 20.

He had hoped for his breakthrough before that when he joined Shrewsbury in June 2017. But he failed to get in a single matchday squad and the then League One side cancelled his loan at the end of August.

"I came back and thought: 'Is football really for me? Can I make it?'" said James. And those doubts continued at the start of the next season.

"I played my first game. I came on against Birmingham. It wasn't my best game," he added. "I said to the manager [Graham Potter] would I be able to go on loan to Yeovil, who were League Two at the time?

"I said I feel I need to go out and get experience and he said: 'No, I think you've got a chance here.'

"If someone told me I'd be at Manchester United a year later I'd tell them to shut up. Everything has happened so quickly."

Potter was good to his word and James went on to play 33 Championship games for the Swans, scoring five times and breaking into the senior Wales team - for whom he has scored twice in six caps.

His goal in an FA Cup game against Brentford, where he showed blistering pace to run 70 yards before scoring, was one of the goals of the season.

'I want to be at the club my whole career'

United were so impressed that they signed him - and he has been a key part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team, playing in nine out of 10 games and scoring three goals.

"I wanted to play as many games as I could but didn't think it would happen so quickly," said James.

"I still don't believe I'm a Manchester United player, it's the stuff you dream of. Even though I'm in the changing room and I know I am, you still have to pinch yourself every night that you can say you're a Manchester United player.

"To play here is an honour that I'll grasp every game. I've started better than I thought I would."

He says he would sign a 15-year contract at United if he could. "This club is amazing. Coming out at the Theatre of Dreams is unbelievable," he added.

"I'll always love it and never get used to the sound of the fans. I want to be at the club my whole career.

"When I see scarves or shirts, I think: 'Why have they got my name on? They could have Pogba or Rashford or Lingard.' :lol:

"When people ask for pictures, I'll think: 'You don't want one of me, you want one with them.'"

On his footballing role model...

James says he tried to learn from watching Eden Hazard when the Belgium winger was at Chelsea as he learned how to supplement his pace.

"The way Hazard was at Chelsea - his movement in behind, when to go and when to stay - he's so quick, but the way he stops people and goes, and little one-twos, getting shots off quickly is something he's done his whole career.

"Getting in the box for tap-ins is something I need to improve on. When Hazard does a one-two you can't get anywhere near him.

"When I was younger, people said to me you won't always be able to rely on speed. I used to just kick it past players and run - but nowadays that won't happen, especially when people bank up on me."

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Nice interview with him in the Beeb today:

Two years ago Daniel James was considering whether he had a future in football. One year ago he wanted to join Yeovil Town on loan.

Now he is hoping to stay at Manchester United for the rest of his career. Things in football move quickly - as does James.

The Wales winger had only made 28 league starts for Swansea City when United paid £15m to bring him to Old Trafford this summer.

The speedy 21-year-old has had a great start to life in the Premier League, and scored three goals in his first four top-flight games.

He has spoken to BBC Radio 5 Live about a rise that has caught even himself by surprise. "I still don't believe I'm a Manchester United player," he admitted.

'I thought is football really for me?'

Daniel James featured for Shrewsbury Town in pre-season in 2017 but never even made the bench for a competitive game
James was no wonderkid bursting on to the scene at an early age - and did not make a first-team debut until the age of 20.

He had hoped for his breakthrough before that when he joined Shrewsbury in June 2017. But he failed to get in a single matchday squad and the then League One side cancelled his loan at the end of August.

"I came back and thought: 'Is football really for me? Can I make it?'" said James. And those doubts continued at the start of the next season.

"I played my first game. I came on against Birmingham. It wasn't my best game," he added. "I said to the manager [Graham Potter] would I be able to go on loan to Yeovil, who were League Two at the time?

"I said I feel I need to go out and get experience and he said: 'No, I think you've got a chance here.'

"If someone told me I'd be at Manchester United a year later I'd tell them to shut up. Everything has happened so quickly."

Potter was good to his word and James went on to play 33 Championship games for the Swans, scoring five times and breaking into the senior Wales team - for whom he has scored twice in six caps.

His goal in an FA Cup game against Brentford, where he showed blistering pace to run 70 yards before scoring, was one of the goals of the season.

'I want to be at the club my whole career'

United were so impressed that they signed him - and he has been a key part of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team, playing in nine out of 10 games and scoring three goals.

"I wanted to play as many games as I could but didn't think it would happen so quickly," said James.

"I still don't believe I'm a Manchester United player, it's the stuff you dream of. Even though I'm in the changing room and I know I am, you still have to pinch yourself every night that you can say you're a Manchester United player.

"To play here is an honour that I'll grasp every game. I've started better than I thought I would."

He says he would sign a 15-year contract at United if he could. "This club is amazing. Coming out at the Theatre of Dreams is unbelievable," he added.

"I'll always love it and never get used to the sound of the fans. I want to be at the club my whole career.

"When I see scarves or shirts, I think: 'Why have they got my name on? They could have Pogba or Rashford or Lingard.' :lol:

"When people ask for pictures, I'll think: 'You don't want one of me, you want one with them.'"

On his footballing role model...

James says he tried to learn from watching Eden Hazard when the Belgium winger was at Chelsea as he learned how to supplement his pace.

"The way Hazard was at Chelsea - his movement in behind, when to go and when to stay - he's so quick, but the way he stops people and goes, and little one-twos, getting shots off quickly is something he's done his whole career.

"Getting in the box for tap-ins is something I need to improve on. When Hazard does a one-two you can't get anywhere near him.

"When I was younger, people said to me you won't always be able to rely on speed. I used to just kick it past players and run - but nowadays that won't happen, especially when people bank up on me."
The lad just gets it. Probably the most grounded individual,playing wise,at the club.

I feel he's being overused lately,though that's clearly a sign of our desperate lack of quality in the attacking roles.
God knows why he was asked to play as a forward on Thursday when we had a forward in Greenwood playing on the left.
Another genius tactical move by Ole and gang.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Lad was tagged as a pace merchant by the Caf, then they discovered he’s got far more to his game. Not overhyped for me, he was indeed under appreciated when signed. Now he’s one of the few positives and some are trying to snuff out any positivity.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
We're slowly beginning to see who the real Daniel James is - ie someone who isn't very good.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We're slowly beginning to see who the real Daniel James is - ie someone who isn't very good.
Or someone we're putting too much stock into far too soon.

When we signed him everyone thought he'd be a impact player,which in an ideal world should've been the case.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Exactly. I’ve noticed that hardly any of our front line go towards the near post. Ball comes across to the first defender, piece of piss to defend against.

starman

No, you like many on here are being overly pedantic. He's only been a professional for just over 2 years and only played 10 games at the top level, ffs, he could have been a bench/reserve player for the whole season for all I care before properly judging him.
Stuff like this was being said about Vardy in his first season in the PL by the kneejerkers

Newcastle 1:0 Man Utd

Andersons Dietician

The team is playing absolutely trash so a shame to expect him to show us what he can do but he’s starting to look a lot more Walcott like than someone who is actually good. Still needs a hell of a lot of development and work.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Poor today but did put in our best cross. Newcastle marked him as a danger man doubling up on him, even tripled up on him at times. He can’t do it all himself

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He wasn't exactly brilliant but is a far more positive player than the rest, and that alone is a breathe of fresh air to see. It's no wonder he's the one that's been grabbing goals. I'd love to have seen him in a Fergie side where he would've had some leeway but also more opportunity to show us what he can do.

Bobski

In a good team he is a joker card learning his trade but we are expecting big things from him every game. Still very one dimensional and raw in his game so it is far too much to ask.

United Hobbit

It would be nice if we had a coaching team who could pick up on his key weaknesses and try and coach him on them. We are in the position of having to rely on him, I hope the great attitude he has doesn't start to get worn down. We should have coaches who are able to try to improve him you have the initial assets of his pace and what looks to be a powerful shot so would like to see them looking into things he can be taught and worked on with to build on them eg use his pace then play a better final ball etc.

ManchesterYoda

I really don’t get why he was on the right? Simply not as effective there.
What's being effective got to do with it? Ole's at the wheel! There is no method to Ole's madness. He's just driving around singing "I'll drive where I want, I'll drive where I want. I'm Man United, I'll drive where I want"
James IS better on the left, but in my opinion, he isn't good enough for the first team.

Status
Not open for further replies.