5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

redMundo

Would like to see him given a chance on the right.

All of our other wide players drift centrally leaving us lacking width, being one dimensional and congesting the game in the middle. Which is why we are so reliant on Pogba creating things.

The main reason modern football has moved towards inverted wingers is due to the athletic improvement of fullbacks. They are no longer the guys not good enough to play other positions and many are as quick as wingers themselves.

Dan James has such incredible speed that he can go on the outside comfortably and seems to have potentially a decent final ball.

If I was a striker for United today I’d be much more excited about the prospect of tapping in cutbacks from the byline than people running in to and taking up my spaces trying eye of the needle through balls or hoofing it to my eyebrows.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I get the feeling we are going to see a whole lot more of those balls over the top for him to run onto this season. Great attacking option to have. Only concern I have, is that once he actually gets on the ball he so far hasn't been that great at actually crossing or finding a teammate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would like to see him given a chance on the right.

All of our other wide players drift centrally leaving us lacking width, being one dimensional and congesting the game in the middle. Which is why we are so reliant on Pogba creating things.

The main reason modern football has moved towards inverted wingers is due to the athletic improvement of fullbacks. They are no longer the guys not good enough to play other positions and many are as quick as wingers themselves.

Dan James has such incredible speed that he can go on the outside comfortably and seems to have potentially a decent final ball.

If I was a striker for United today I’d be much more excited about the prospect of tapping in cutbacks from the byline than people running in to and taking up my spaces trying eye of the needle through balls or hoofing it to my eyebrows.
I suspect the main reason is due to the increased importance of possession and control in midfield meaning every team pretty much requires 3 players in midfield instead of 2. This means one less striker, which in turn requires wingers to prioritise goalscoring over creating.

You won’t really see inverted wingers in a classic 442. In a 433, you have 3 forwards, so wingers are played in a manner that will maximise their goalscoring potential.

Drainy

can do a job by the looks of it, but he's very much a supporting player for the moment - productivity seems a problem but that can improve over the next few years.

redMundo

I suspect the main reason is due to the increased importance of possession and control in midfield meaning every team pretty much requires 3 players in midfield instead of 2. This means one less striker, which in turn requires wingers to prioritise goalscoring over creating.

You won’t really see inverted wingers in a classic 442. In a 433, you have 3 forwards, so wingers are played in a manner that will maximise their goalscoring potential.
Good points and you are probably right especially regarding the 433. It was just a hopeful thought really.

However there is usually one advanced midfielder who sort of acts as a secondary striker anyway eg KDB, Dele Alli, Bruno Fernandes etc which balances the loss of a striker to some degree.

I suppose there are two types of wide players currently, goal scorers and chance creators. Would be nice to have a variety of those options to choose from.
Sometimes basic tactics can actually work and set off trends. Who knew keeping the ball was a good idea! Tiki-Taka.
All very early to tell what level James will become anyway but he’s got potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's like the exact opposite of Martial in every way, it's quite funny.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I don't think he has the close control to be very effective against a deep defence.

IrishRedDevil

Good at pressing and his pace goes without saying, but needs to improve his passing and composure in the final third. Seems reluctant to take a player on. Hopefully it comes with more confidence, as it’s a big step up for him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Don't think this will be his season. Looks to have a lot of development ahead with regards to close control and intricate passing. Given how often we'll be against a packed defense, not sure how useful he'll be til he gets a bit better.

Still, great attitude and is rapid. Would be pretty useful if we played a big central striker.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Yes I see him as an impact sub / starter against teams we will surrender possession to.

IrishRedDevil

Those last two phases show what he needs to work on.

- A cross smashed across the face of goal, rather than composure to delay the cross for a couple of seconds.
- Snatching at the shot and hitting it well wide.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He is. You can say it is just pre season, but you either got it or you don’t. He does not have it.
Absolute nonsense.

Carry on pal..

Denis79

He was a cheap buy from the Championship, people shouldn't expect him to be ready for the higher quality football, let's hope he blossoms.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Needs to trust himself a tad more. With his speed he shouldn't be hesitant to knock it down the line and bet on himself to win the footrace.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Atleast we bought him for really cheap if he does turn out to be shite but lets wait and see this season shall we.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His work rate is good and he clearly shouldn't be starting for us at RW. I wouldn't be confident judging him more beyond that.

As his age, price and previous level all suggested, he's one for the future.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Exactly what should be expected coming from the championship and stepping up.

Give him a year or 2 to gel with the squad and work on the deficiencies in his game and I reckon he'll be a good squad player for us.

Bearded One

He is genuinely trying. Hope he makes it with us but I'd want fans to be patient with him. Some of the best players in the league today had slow starts.

Based Adnan

He will be electric coming on vs tired legs. Pressing is top notch and you get the feeling he's always going to make something happen with his pressing or runs. End product needs work but he has time on his hands for that. Looks to fit in with how we want to play which is the important thing.

WelshManc

He hasn't had his best game yet but he is also much better from the LW. That said he is still young and still learning and hopefully he will be great player for us.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't like what i see. And if it would be allowed to judge players after few games(:p) i would say that he is not United quality.

Thiagoal

Greenwood is on another level technically, so really can’t see why James is taking his minutes?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is. You can say it is just pre season, but you either got it or you don’t. He does not have it.
I feel that also. With AWB you see that he is a quality. Same goes with Greenwood or Rashford. Despite some flaws or bad games, moves etc..
James is not quality and nothing except his speed is not showing to me that he will be good United player. First 11 definitely not.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He plays like somebody raised through the United Academy.

Pace, strength, vision, mature decision making, a brilliant touch, great dribbling, good balance, hard working, quick passing.

If James can carry this through to the season proper, he'll be buy-of-the-season. I know I've said that before in this thread, but now I'm beginning to believe it.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we. He's shown some promise but that might just be a little over the top.

Too raw to be a starter. We need to be patient with these new players and not project crazy expectations. This is just preseason after all
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.