Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do we need Sancho ?:smirk:
We definitely need another good option with pace, but right now with the improvement James is showing, he could be a fantastic player.

His combination of speed and hard work is very rare. Add that he actually has end product! All that for £15-20m :drool:

A9X SJ

Looks a cracking player already we should be scouting more Championship players to source the Gems before the prices are inflated

tjb

I agree. We may need a backup for him, but not sure we need a right winger anymore. I would sign an attacking midfielder and striker instead.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Always a bit worried for him that he's going to get injured. As every defender he runs up against always tries to hack him down when he's at full speed. Keeps getting up and running though.

SungSam7

I agree. We may need a backup for him, but not sure we need a right winger anymore. I would sign an attacking midfielder and striker instead.
If we keep Pogba, do we really need that attacking midfielder though? If we had someone who could clean up defensively in front of the back 3 or 4, it would unlock Pogba to do what hes been wanting to do since his Juve days.
Someone like Martial who has that 1 touch ability compliments someone like Pogba. On top of that Martial likes to take defenders with him due to his good ball skills that could open gaps for pogba to have a shot.

Hughie77

Improve he can, his age is going for him, playing with better players in a better league only improves you. He does struggle when closely marked, but hes learning how to deal with it, his passing has improved a lot in a short time, decision making has as well.

The more space he gets the better he is, add a few goals to this then , what a buy .

Handré1990

I can’t believe how incredibly brave he is. He has this uncanny ability to reach the ball first in situations he has no right to. Great weapon to have, all those yellow cards for opponents, he must be leading that statistics, or at least very close. Like others have mentioned, he gets kicked like crazy every match, but just gets up and keeps going. My assessment that he’ll be a good squad options needs revising.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If Dan wants to boost his stats especially assists ones, he better start finding Martial. He's fond Rashford a few times already and put things on a platter for him yet his assists stats have remained unchanged since a few weeks ago.

At this point just look for Martial and increase your stats.

The real test will be next season once opponents have had time to figure him out and plan how to defend against him. It always happens to proper pace merchants, some learn to play around it and become genuine world beaters, some don't.

Couldn't have asked for a better start to his career here though, probably my favourite player this season.

Member 119614

The real test will be next season once opponents have had time to figure him out and plan how to defend against him. It always happens to proper pace merchants, some learn to play around it and become genuine world beaters, some don't.

Couldn't have asked for a better start to his career here though, probably my favourite player this season.
I think he can handle it because it's not just pace with him. He also got a good cross, good control over the ball and he can turn on a dime with his short stature. I think he is a natural talent and a hard worker. I can only see him getting better.

mav_9me

I think he can handle it because it's not just pace with him. He also got a good cross, good control over the ball and he can turn on a dime with his short stature. I think he is a natural talent and a hard worker. I can only see him getting better.
Agreed. And on the face of it he appears to have the mentality of keep going at it and not giving up similar to Rashford.

I was worried about his crossing but so far been very good.

RedCurry

Having Giggs as a national team coach probably helps a young winger willing to learn the trade.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Dan wants to boost his stats especially assists ones, he better start finding Martial. He's fond Rashford a few times already and put things on a platter for him yet his assists stats have remained unchanged since a few weeks ago.

Pretty much most times he's found Rashford he has been the one bursting through clear of the defense. He's harder to pick up playing on the left.

Jadon who?
Not that I wouldn't want Sancho, of course I would, but I prefer James on the right than playing him in supposedly his best position on the left. He's done incredibly well for us wide right.

Scholsey2004

Yeah, Marcus Rashford's finishing is killing his assists record.

lysglimt

Scout
So £15 million and he is already worth at least £50 million

Not often the last years that United are being mentioned as having made one of the signings of the season

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

On the other hand Rashford is great at making those rapid runs behind teams. While I believe Martial is better, let's not forget Rashfords strengths.

Aouer-United

James is so important on RW for us, we never had supporting player like him before, that's why we need a supporting player in our frontline, that'll help out Martial and Rashford's goal-scoring tally when he cut in and pass cutback/square/cross. Even if we get Sancho next summer, he'll do the same thing as James does but always seem to have a killer pass in him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
On the other hand Rashford is great at making those rapid runs behind teams. While I believe Martial is better, let's not forget Rashfords strengths.
He can still easily pick Martial if he opts to. I believe James first instinct is to put or whip the ball right across ball which is where Rashford dashing runs come into handy but if he opts to make a pull back pass he'd find Martial because the latter always prefer to hold his runs when near or inside the box and is just behind that line of defender across the goal in that empty space behind.

His cross that was cleared by the defender when he had both Martial and Rashford on either side of the defender, he could and should have picked whoever of the 2 he wanted in that case. Even the Rashford missed open goal chance, had he wanted to he could have opted for Martial if he'd pull and pass the ball back behind in that space because that's where Martial finds himself when he hold his runs a bit and come in late into the box in that empty space.

The options and choices are always there if James choses to.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He can still easily pick Martial if he opts to. I believe James first instinct is to put or whip the ball right across ball which is where Rashford dashing runs come into handy but if he opts to make a pull back pass he'd find Martial because the latter always prefer to hold his runs when near or inside the box and is just behind that line of defender across the goal in that empty space behind.

His cross that was cleared by the defender when he had both Martial and Rashford on either side of the defender, he could and should have picked whoever of the 2 he wanted in that case. Even the Rashford missed open goal chance, had he wanted to he could have opted for Martial if he'd pull and pass the ball back behind in that space because that's where Martial finds himself when he hold his runs a bit and come in late into the box in that empty space.

Martial drops deep to link up the play and that's when Rashford makes the run. It's easy to pick him as he makes the run with huge space ahead of him.

For the open goal chance, pass to Rashford was the easiest pass. Defender was in the passing lane to Martial. For the header chance, Martial was behind the CB when James was about to cross the ball and only Rashford pointed to where he wants the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I imagine he can pick Martial in some cases. But in the open goal missed chance, Martial laid the ball off to Periera which was a crucial pass to open the move up and hence was behind relatively behind the play. Searching for Rashford who had no involvement in the buildup and hence was nearer to the goal was the correct decision

DBT85

Yeah I think looking at James chances created is better than assists. Not his fault if we sometimes struggle to hit a cows arse with a banjo.

tjb

If we keep Pogba, do we really need that attacking midfielder though? If we had someone who could clean up defensively in front of the back 3 or 4, it would unlock Pogba to do what hes been wanting to do since his Juve days.
Someone like Martial who has that 1 touch ability compliments someone like Pogba. On top of that Martial likes to take defenders with him due to his good ball skills that could open gaps for pogba to have a shot.
We won't keep Pogba. Not sure I want to anymore either. We are clearly in rebuilding mode, so it may be best for both parties to go their separate ways. Pogba's playing style is complex and he is not adaptable. He may be our best player, but if we could ensure that we used his money well, I would sell him to sign a good dm and am. A dm that can pass and allow mctominay to play box to box. And an attacking midfielder that is creative and has presence. I would also not be opposed to signing a strike instead and going 442 with martial playing a bit deeper since his link up play is good.

Mr PG

So £15 million and he is already worth at least £50 million

Not often the last years that United are being mentioned as having made one of the signings of the season
Any team will snap your arms off for 50m. He's worth more than Zaha and Pepe so 80m I say and I still wouldn't take that as his potential is Gareth Bale. He's always been underrated due to lack of exquisite foot skills but he more than makes up for it in speed and industry.
He would get a ton of goals with a good midfielder feeding him balls with his shooting accuracy even at full flight. All has to do with his Messi like height and stability.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Any team will snap your arms off for 50m. He's worth more than Zaha and Pepe so 80m I say and I still wouldn't take that as his potential is Gareth Bale. He's always been underrated due to lack of exquisite foot skills but he more than makes up for it in speed and industry.
He would get a ton of goals with a good midfielder feeding him balls with his shooting accuracy even at full flight. All has to do with his Messi like height and stability.
Agreed. Even if there are offers of ~80m, I don't want us to sell him.

Scholsey2004

He's probably not going to be too far from young player of the season. Same for Rashford.
As it stands there's a few ahead of him like pulisic and Abraham. He'll definitely be on the final list though if he carries on. Our oft maligned scouts did a fantastic job identifying him so early.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As it stands there's a few ahead of him like pulisic and Abraham. He'll definitely be on the final list though if he carries on. Our oft maligned scouts did a fantastic job identifying him so early.
Pulisic only started playing well in November, he'll blow hot and cold, just like he did at Dortmund.

Scholsey2004

Pulisic only started playing well in November, he'll blow hot and cold, just like he did at Dortmund.
He's scored and assisted more than Dan James though I believe. Obviously our finishing has a bit to do with that but still it's there. It's difficult to imagine an attacker from a team who score as few as we do getting the plaudits as well. For our attackers to get more attention then our attack needs to be performing better and at a higher league position imo.

jem

That's just brilliant. Started the move in our box and then he reached the opponent's goal so quickly. His composure is very good.
It's incredible - what's also impressive (and gets lost in the subsequent miss,) is seeing Rashford keep pace on the other side.

ManuMou

Having James playing on RW is the Manchester United way of playing football compared to playing Mata/Lingard as a “false” RW who simply doesn’t have the pace and constantly cut in. Our RW play had been dire for so so long until we found this little James.

Suddenly i enjoy watching our wingers again. Good old Fergie days. What took us so long. Gosh.

AkaAkuma

I think this has been the case in the past when our focus has only been on one flank, it's been easy for the opposition to nullify that threat. It'll be easier for James as he's sharing the attacking burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.