Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Solskajaer said this too but I'm not sure I agree. Kuyt and Park are people I'd consider defensive wingers. Whilst James is very disciplined with his tracking back, he seems to be just as effective creating chances. I think it's a bit of a disservice to label him a defensive winger.
Nah think that was taken out of context a bit. He was praising his whole game and then mentioned him being probably the best defensive winger in the world and that quote grabbed the headlines

Thiagoal

I actually think he’d score loads more goals starting from the left! Obviously that’s not an option with the form Marcus is in! Been so impressed with how well he’s doing from the right though; our counter attacks are deadly! Add in a player like Sancho behind and we’d be seriously dangerous for any team in Europe

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
What a breath of fresh air it is to have someone with blistering pace playing as an out and out right winger. We have been deprived for so long watching nonsense like Juan Mata or Lingard playing there and not doing what a winger is supposed to do. For the last few years we’ve been the most unbalanced attack around with everything going down the left, and it’s took the pressure off Rashford and we now look like we have a proper attack. Impossible not to love his guy

Man Utd 1:1 Everton

jackal&hyde

Very poor game. Him and Lingard coupled with the nonexistence of any threat from our RB made this game harder then it needed to be. We need to play Greenwood in games where we are expected to have the majority of possession.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Needs to be dropped for Greenwood now

Been a good signing but was never bought to play week in week out like he has been

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What's happened to his ability to strike the ball with flight and power? In his first few games he was smashing the ball at the goal and putting good whipped crosses in, now everything he hits rolls along the ground with no power.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's happened to his ability to strike the ball with flight and power? In his first few games he was smashing the ball at the goal and putting good whipped crosses in, now everything he hits rolls along the ground with no power.
I dunno, seemed to hit it pretty powerfully into Lingards face alright :lol:

SteveW

Crazy amount of waste from the lad. Still love him but it was incredibly frustrating watching him mishit shots and put in awful crosses.

Unlike him. His delivery has been good recently.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems like he’s trying too hard to get it on target at the mo, rather than in the back of the net.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This is why I struggle with the “assist” stat. Seems bizarre to say he assisted today when it was a fairly simpls, straight forward pass.
Yeah I struggle with goals that are tap in being counted as a full goal, maybe we should introduce half goals.

El Zoido

Needs a goal, he played today like he was desperate for one. To the detriment of the team.

M Bison

Supports
York City
To be fair, what you said was ridiculously daft.
I struggle with the concept of assists in certain circumstances, nothing daft about that.

KDB pass for Sterling’s goal today was a cracking ball and made the goal, but James’ was a simple pass and didn’t.

Its part of the game so I’m not saying to change anything, just that I struggle with it sometimes.

Machine Elements

The guy is a pace merchant. His finishing is so poor. Should be a squad player at best like Lingard, McTominay etc.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This is why I struggle with the “assist” stat. Seems bizarre to say he assisted today when it was a fairly simpls, straight forward pass.
This is bullshit, to be fair. Sure not all assists are of equal quality, but they're still vital. Yes it was an easy pass, but he could have taken another decision such as shoot himself or pass to another player.

M Bison

Supports
York City
This is bullshit, to be fair. Sure not all assists are of equal quality, but they're still vital. Yes it was an easy pass, but he could have taken another decision such as shoot himself or pass to another player.
I understand what you’re saying but its just something that baffles me sometimes (not always, see comment re KDB pass for Sterling today). It was never a big thing when I played unless it was something that created a goal.

Thiagoal

Will be a great squad player and in certain games his pace and work rate will be crucial; however, we really need to be looking for a right winger of far higher quality!

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He's an important player for us but I think that's more to do with the state of our squad rather than his actually ability. If we get a player of Sanchos ability then James will become a squad player. It's not a slight on him and he has been a good buy but he seems very limited in his play. He's still young and has a lot to learn but I just don't get the vibes that he's going to be a top notch player. As a squad player I think he'll be an excellent option.

He'sRaldo

Like I said before, if he was left-footed our attack would be more balanced. When Martial drops, we need a left-footed RW and right-footed LW to act as forwards so that Martial doesn't have to also be the target man in the box.

For that reason, Greenwood actually has a decent chance of competing with him for that RW spot; he plays more like a forward there than James. Funny enough, James can probably play the LW role very well but has no chance since he's behind Rashford.

Honestly, I think we signed yet another LW; at least this time we're playing him on the right.

Last edited:

Devil81

Rotation with Greenwood for me at the moment, today his pace wasn't utilised enough but he was very wasteful in dangerous positions.

Sylar

Happens when youre young. Another issue for him is our squad makeup. This would have been a perfect game for him to come on as a sub at home, bring on his pace against a hopefully tiring team. Instead were having to play him pretty much every game / every minute due to lack of options.

Do hope he can play himself into some form but I do think a rest would be perfect for him. This would be coming close to around the time Fergie used to give Ronaldo a few weeks off near Xmas. We cant afford to do that with James however

NickSantigo

Defensive set-pieces annoy me. With his pace he should be waiting on the halfway line so when we win the ball back we can just pass it into space for him and 99 times out of 100 his pace will get him away

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s looked a little tired in the last month or so to me. Which is completely understandable given the big step up he’s had to make, the demands in terms of games and the situation with his dad last summer. It was inevitable that he’d need a bit of a break at some stage.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Players like Rashford, Cavani, and Aubameyang have a propensity for being on the end of chances. I want to see more of James not hugging the touchline when deployed on the right.

flappyjay

Needs a goal, he played today like he was desperate for one. To the detriment of the team.
A problem that all the people expected to create suffered from during the game. Him, Fred and mctominay kept trying to shoot from weird distances and angles instead of trying to pick out a pass.

Watford 2:0 Man Utd

Untd55

Honestly, this guy is a squad player. He needs to be replaced in the first team as he is very limited.

He is a quick player and can put in a decent cross, but he lacks in technical ability in terms of dribbling and passing.

I cannot see him ever becoming a prolific goal scorer or creator, which is something we need on the right-wing. I think we have to sign a top-class right-winger in the summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Should have been dropped after Everton, the season has caught up with him

Stadjer

A bit of a old school winger. Quick and a decent cross. However that is an old tactic.

With a striker like Martial you need someone who plays like Salah and cuts inside. Not someone who plays like James.

Besides that i also dont think he should be a starter.... not that he cant become one but there is a reason he was a Championship player last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No goal in 3 months despite starting every game. He’s a brilliant squad player for now, but we need better.

Devil81

James strikes me as an impact off the bench player, I don't believe he's technically good enough to start for a club pushing for Champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.