5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OL29

3 goals and 6 assists in the first half of the season, will probably go on and beat your boys best season at 22 years old for a fraction of the price.
They don’t even play in the same position, why are you bringing this nonsense into this thread?

Stadjer

Indeed. His kick-and-rush 'skills' are a joy to behold.
I think it is a little more than just that but even if he only had kick and rush skill it would be still be usefull.

Last game Kolasinac could have gotten two yellow cards just because he couldnt deal with James his pace. That was even during a game in which James was worse than usually.

Ekeke

This isn't the thread for it, but are you arguing that Valencia wasn't one of the best wingers in the world with us?
I'm not arguing it, I'm stating it.

Should have been moved to right back way before he was, he always played like one

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's yet another excuse for opposition fans to take the piss out of us and with good reason too.
Right. It's our fault for signing him which we should never have done in the first place. I mean he's really rubbish and the fact that he's the kind of player now deemed good enough by those in charge would be amusing if it were not so depressing.
Indeed. His kick-and-rush 'skills' are a joy to behold.
If James played for Arsenal he'd be the same turd he is at United. The fact he was signed by pillock that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag doesn't really make any difference.
It’s almost impressive how much bollocks you’re spewing here.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No, get out of here.

Valencia was genuinely one of the best wingers in the world with us, if not the best at one point. James is nowhere near that kind of level and likely never will be. He makes a good squad player, that's about it.
Valencia in his first few years was hardly a greatest winger in the world, but very good and useful winger, something that James is for us so far.

Maybe at his peak Valencia was the best winger in the world, but as someone already said, I am pretty sure James already has better stats than Valencia had at his peak, so to suggest that it isn't even an option is seriously overrating Valencia or underrating James. It's not like Valencia was Robben level.

Edit: quick check says Valencia had 9 assists and 5 goals in his first season, and James has 6 assists and 3 goals so far, playing for a weaker team, setting up Martial/Rashford unlike Valencia who had Rooney and Berbatov up front.

Last edited:

Mcking

Nah mate, I think your letting your Ole hate blur your vision.

He’s been excellent, been a bit quieter of late but should have much more assists if we were not so wasteful.

He’s excellent at beating his man, I’m not one for stats but I would bet his successful take-ons/dribbles are one of the best in the league.
Not really. He is good at running into space with the ball, but that is not dribbling. One vs one with a defender, I'd say he is below average for a Premier League winger.

RUCK4444

Not really. He is good at running into space with the ball, but that is not dribbling. One vs one with a defender, I'd say he is below average for a Premier League winger.
I doubt that very much, when he hits that burst of pace he almost always gets a couple of yards on his marker.

I’ll try looking for stats

Red00012

Right. It's our fault for signing him which we should never have done in the first place. I mean he's really rubbish and the fact that he's the kind of player now deemed good enough by those in charge would be amusing if it were not so depressing.
Bought as raw talent from a championship club for 15mill.
No one would have predicted he would have played as much but we don’t have any better options (baring in mind Greenwood just turned 18)
He’s been played out of position but has the most assists(6) and has scored a few as well (3)
Has he been better than I thought he would be ? Without a doubt.

( Might I add , I Found it difficult to criticise the post not the poster )

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He's been a shining light this season for me. Really impressive how he's made the step up and shown that even with the mess of a squad we've got he's floated to the top regardless. He obviously should have been making about 10-15 starts in rotation for the season and shown promise with off the bench appearances. He would have been a real find in the Obertan/Owen/Valencia era. Already showing he has that old school grit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This isn't the thread for it, but are you arguing that Valencia wasn't one of the best wingers in the world with us?
Whether he is or no, what you said about James will never be on Valencia's level is ridiculous. The guy is still 22 years old, looks promising & produced good number of assists already this season and playing without Rooney in the team. How can you not see his potential to be equal or higher than Valencia? Insane statement.

fps

Why is Lukaku suddenly in this discussion? Stop that nonsense.
That person, don’t know if it was you, cherry picked the 5 best dribblers in the world then said Rashford wasn’t as good then made the ridiculous leap that British players aren’t as technically good. It is a moronic nonsensical argument and Lukaku is being used to show the basic flaws in the argument.

meamth

That person, don’t know if it was you, cherry picked the 5 best dribblers in the world then said Rashford wasn’t as good then made the ridiculous leap that British players aren’t as technically good. It is a moronic nonsensical argument and Lukaku is being used to show the basic flaws in the argument.
However you want to twist it saying I'm moronic or not, you put Rashford inside Brazil national team, he will seems like out of place.

South American flair, Brazilian Ginga, etc. There's a history behind it.

I'm just saying, British flair is not the same.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I'm not arguing it, I'm stating it.

Should have been moved to right back way before he was, he always played like one
He was here quite the while, but i thought he was electric in his first season. So powerful and direct. So seemingly predictable yet it was impossible to stop him. To me, he was one of the best wingers in the world at the time. That horrific leg break he had at the start of the next season was so unfortunate.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
When did this happen?
You don't remember our 2009/10 season? He was absurd on the wing that season. Rooney said himself he wouldn't have scored the amount of goals he did without Valencia's wing play.

Wayne Rooney has named Antonio Valencia as the key to his success this season, saying the winger's quality has been vital in helping him reach 26 Premier League goals.

Rooney, this week voted Manchester United's player of the year, said Valencia was the team-mate he enjoyed playing alongside most.

"I couldn't have scored the amount of goals I have this season without him," Rooney told the BBC's Match of the Day magazine. "He's been great this year and the quality of balls he puts in the box for me has been unbelievable."

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Could do with watching a few videos of the most skillful players out there and working on adding tricks to his locker.

He's been a surprisingly great little signing and I'm glad for his attitude but he needs to add some variation to his play.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Whether he is or no, what you said about James will never be on Valencia's level is ridiculous. The guy is still 22 years old, looks promising & produced good number of assists already this season and playing without Rooney in the team. How can you not see his potential to be equal or higher than Valencia? Insane statement.
I don't think it's ridiculous. He will never have Valencia's physicality or shot/cross power. He's just not built that way. Apart from his pace, what else does he have? James has done okay so far, i don't think he has the potential to be world class, but he can be a good squad option in counter situations.

TsuWave

You don't remember our 2009/10 season? He was absurd on the wing that season. Rooney said himself he wouldn't have scored the amount of goals he did without Valencia's wing play.
So Rooney thanking Valencia for assisting his goals translate into Valencia being the best winger in the world? At no point in his career was Valencia the best winger in the world. That’s just nuts. In fact, I’d argue that Nani’s peak was closer to that than any Valencia individual season, although Valencia has the benefit of longevity going his way.

I just looked it up and Valencia had 7 league assists that season, and 3 in the CL. Hardly trailblazing stuff.

Sanchez7

I don't think it's ridiculous. He will never have Valencia's physicality or shot/cross power. He's just not built that way. Apart from his pace, what else does he have? James has done okay so far, i don't think he has the potential to be world class, but he can be a good squad option in counter situations.
I agree. James isn’t a good dribbler at all. I struggle to think of many situations where he has beaten his marker from a standing start. I think he will end up as a good player who can come off the bench and utilise his pace in behind.

dev1l

He can run, but that's it. He's done really to get to this level. We can do much better.
I think he can get better. Tbf he looks a bit tired. Considering the jump he made from Championship to playing twice a week in PL, I thought he done really well. Games like today will be expected from him. Like Williams he s relatively inexperienced and works in progress.

Man Utd 1:3 Man City

Thiagoal

Past few performances have been extremely average! Needs a long time out of the team to hone his skills or just be used as an impact player off the bench! Problem is, we have no other options

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Looks tired . Never got into the game at all.
I completely disagree. Sure, the first half was rough but it was rough for everyone. Mind you, the only half chance we had came from James getting down the wing and whipping in a low cross that Fernandinho cleared. In the second half however I thought he was just really starting to get into the game when Ole took him out. It seemed as though he was starting to play "pissed off" and was looking to have a go at City. I definitely would have kept him on the field and took off Perierra, who was absolutely useless...

Bwuk

He needs to learn to press as a unit. He’s dreadful at that.

RedIan

James is still raw and learning the game. frightening pace and a good shot. Hes been over played due to lack of options, not hits fault. Quiet tonight but we were chasing shadows most of his time on the pitch...

btw Valencia was fricking awesome as a winger at his peak.. not best in world but still awesome. Far Better than Nani.

kundalini

One of the rare occasions that Dan James has been genuinely rubbish, rather than not involved that much. Wasted a promising early situation with a poor cross that got cut out instead of playing it between the defence and the keeper. Gave the ball away too often.

el3mel

For how much he has been playing 3 goals only scored, last one being in August is a pretty crap record to be totally honest. He has now gone 4 months and a week without a single goal and still counting even though he plays pretty much every game.

He has started the season brilliantly but now he doesn't look any different from the rest of our crop.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Really gone down hill lately. Came here from Swansea showing all his speed and passion for the game only to be dragged down by our current woefulness. Scored some great goals early in the season but now only a shadow of that player. Really sad how our club ruins talent so easily.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's regressed badly since October really. He's turning into the player I thought he would be sadly. One that would be most suited as an impact sub. Initially I thought he did great and was such a bonus but I think he'll take time to reach that level again.

Status
Not open for further replies.